Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fishing Pliers

J-sews · 29 · 14764

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Fishing Pliers
on: March 29, 2007, 03:45:54 AM
Are there any avid fishermen in this group? Have you seen the "plier wars" that have been ramping up between the various high-end fishing gear supply manufacturers? The results of this competitive market have been some truly beautiful plier tools. They are not really "multitools" as we tend to think of the term, as none so far come equipped with folding knives or pliers. But given the big money these things sell for, I suspect that it is only a matter of time.

Basically what these manufacturers are doing is milling a pair of pliers from solid aluminum or titanium barstock, anodizing the tool in gorgeous colors, and then selling it for princely sums approaching $300   :o  Typically these pliers include hardened stainless steel jaw inserts for gripping, and a handy set of cutting jaws off to the side for snipping steel fishing hooks and leaders and such.

Here are a handful of the very best:

I'm no expert, but I think ABEL started this whole high-end machined-from-solid fishing pliers thing with their #2 plier. I've handled a pair, and they are truly a piece of art both in appearance and construction. The Abel #2 (top) is 5.5 inches long, while the Abel #4 (above) is 6.5 inches long and includes a bottle opener machined into the handle. 

The anodizing that Abel is able (pun!) to do on these pliers is fantastic! (It better be; price on the splash colored one above was over 250 bucks!) 

Another company engaged in the fishing plier wars is ACCURATE FISHING PRODUCTS with their Piranha Pliers. (shown above) With a frame machined from solid aircraft grade aluminum, the Piranhas feature replaceable stainless steel jaws and cutting inserts. 7" and 8" models are available.

Longtime outdoor supplier ORVIS recently joined the fray with their clever version of the ultimate fishing plier, shown above. A virtual bargain at "only" $150, the Orvis plier uses the same aircraft-aluminum-and-stainless-hardware construction as the previous entries, except that they use a special canted head design for better ergonomics and leverage.

At first glance the VAN STAAL pliers appear no better than the others, and a person wonders about the $314 suggested price. But when you find out that the frames are made from solid titanium, and the cutter blades are tungsten carbide, it all makes sense.   ::)  Who wouldn't want at least a pair or two of these in their tackle box?

So there you have it, a few of the fancy pliers that tackle makers are trying to induce unsuspecting anglers to part with their hard-earned dollars for. Judging by the prices these things go for, there is a lot of money to be made, and spent. I figure it's only a matter of time until a "new" model comes out with a folding knife, a diamond file, scissors, a bottle opener........... :)

~Bob

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 04:09:01 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline joebw

Re: Fishing Pliers
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 04:27:57 PM
I'm a salt water fly fisherman.  My wife gave me the Abel pliers about five years ago.  Ridden hard and put away wet, they are the best fishing pliers that i've owned in some58 years of fishing.

Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 06:43:48 AM
I looked at some of these multi-hundred dollar pliers at Cabelas today. The quality is truly breathtaking........but so is the price.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 06:57:09 AM
those pure titanium ones look amazing (sound even more so). Imagine such a multitool...

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:27:16 AM
wow. Just makes you wonder what the price of LM charges would be if they start making some of the tools out of titanium. If they had some sort of collectors edition made totally out of titanium I don't think I would be able to afford it but I would certainly salivate over it for many years until I finally built up the courage to take out a bank loan and buy it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 01:43:49 PM
I know the owner of Mission Knives and I've asked him about the possibility of a titanium multitool, and he usually points out that other than a "cool" factor and some corrosion resistance, there's really no point to an all titanium multitool.

His point of view is that steel makes a better plier head, better screwdrivers and so on, so all you'd really be able to do with titanium is a knife, saw and handles, unless you wanted a lower performance tool with a higher price.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:40:10 PM
well, having titanium knives and saws and handles would be cool enough!

I wonder what the exact advantages of titanium are over steel, expecially the special steel LM have started using for their knives. I know the stuff about it being lighter, more corrosion resistant, non magnetic, but I wonder if it is stronger? more flexible? holds an edge better? Wonder what else there is.

Im guessing titanium must be a lot more expensive then even the S30V steel, otherwise wouldnt LM have gone down that route?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 08:10:47 PM
The machine shop where I work makes many medical implants and surgical components from titanium. Obvious advantages are that it is lightweight, strong, and doesn't corrode.

But it gets even better:
For some reason the human body does not "reject" titanium, so it is the preferred material for screws and pins and other body implants.
Also, titanium is transparent to MRI imaging equipment. Surgical clamps and such made from stainless steel will "block" the surgeon's view when MRI's are done. Titanium components will not.

It is truly a remarkable material.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 11:01:21 PM
Andrew might have somethig to say about this, but the majority of ordinance is disposed of with a water cannon, according to a friend of mine that used to work for the Ontario Provincial Police's bomb squad.  The water it pressurized to the point where it hits with such intensity that the compnoents of the explosive are disassembled so fast that electricity can't make the trip from the detonator to the explosive in time.

They stopped trying to figure out whether to cut the red wire or blue wire when the bad guys started switching them around, or really messing up the situation by replacing them with red and green wires!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:02:20 PM
Machining pliers from solid aluminum or titanium barstock is impressive. Even more so (to me) is the color schemes that Able puts on some of their models. These pictures are the best I could find, but they are much nicer in reality.
rainbow trout.jpg
* rainbow trout.jpg (Filesize: 32.35 KB)
brown trout.jpg
* brown trout.jpg (Filesize: 35.92 KB)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 10:44:31 PM
I'd like to have the Rainbow Trout pliers but $300 is a bit steep!  :o  Give them my address if they want to send out free samples for review.   :grin:

us Offline afinitaln

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 06:59:27 PM
I have the Van Staal pliers and just like their fishing reels they are a work of art. The only way that these pliers will fail are if you loose them or someone steals them from you. Other than that you will have them forever and pass them down to your children.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 07:13:36 PM
All very nice, but my giant fear of owning a pair of fishing pliers over $100 would be the thought of them lying at the bottom of the river/ocean/lake.  Since they are aluminum even using a large magnet wouldn't be a solution. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:02 PM
Yadda, you could consider attaching them to you via lanyard. Or possibly attaching a float. At any rate, those pliers with the cutters off to the side of the plier jaws are super cool. I guess I have never seen such an application. Pretty sweet!

I am glad you dug up this MEGA old thread! Otherwise I would still be in the dark as to the joys of these high-end fishing pliers! Lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:39 PM
All very nice, but my giant fear of owning a pair of fishing pliers over $100 would be the thought of them lying at the bottom of the river/ocean/lake.  Since they are aluminum even using a large magnet wouldn't be a solution.
:cheers:  I Guess the makers were afraid of that occurence as well and had the good sense of putting sizeable lanyard rings that way the tool can be safely tethered / anchored to another device in case it slips.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:12:03 PM
I really like the look of some of these and i'm sure I would get a large amount of use out of them, but I couldn't justify spending anywhere near that on fishing pliers. I have been using the same $3 needle nose pliers for years in my tackle box and they have served me very well.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline afinitaln

Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 08:44:55 PM
I currently own a pair of the VanStaal Titanium pliers, they are hard core fishing pliers made for extreme surf fishing, designed and tested in Montauk NY. If you are not familiar with the type of fishing that is done there please YouTube some Surffishing Montauk videos. The type of fish sought after there are Striped Bass there are plenty of blues that bite like piranhas. Tis is a place where only the very experience fisherman gather for these fish and it is considered extreme fishing terrain that will torture your gear. not a place for a pair of pliers to fail you.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 10:59:47 AM
I still stick with my $3 needle nose pliers. They do everything I need them to do and they are cheap.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 10:25:50 PM
Here's a genuine high-tech "Hook-Out", made with genuine high-tech aluminum. I'll let it go for a mere $150!  :whistle:
IMG_5085.JPG
* IMG_5085.JPG (Filesize: 108.74 KB)

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 08:10:17 AM
Here's a genuine high-tech "Hook-Out", made with genuine high-tech aluminum. I'll let it go for a mere $150!  :whistle:

Call it a "Vintage Hook Out" and throw it up on the bay, you never know :rofl:.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 04:09:58 PM
I use cheap hemostats but I have been liking some of the aluminum pliers out there. And of course it is always fun to use a multitool.

Offline collim1

Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 01:54:56 AM
I have had the same cheap fishing pliers for 15+ years.  They live in the boat and receive no cleaning or oiling.  Still going strong. 

These fancy pliers are no different than expensive o/u shotguns.  A Remington 1100 will shoot all the birds and clays you want, but some guys want a $5k+ shotgun.  I think anyone on a knife/multi-tool forum can understand that. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 03:08:23 AM
I have had the same cheap fishing pliers for 15+ years.  They live in the boat and receive no cleaning or oiling.  Still going strong. 

These fancy pliers are no different than expensive o/u shotguns.  A Remington 1100 will shoot all the birds and clays you want, but some guys want a $5k+ shotgun.  I think anyone on a knife/multi-tool forum can understand that.

Most definitely. As long as they are using upgraded materials and the fit and finish is excellent then the extra money would be worth it.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 03:59:05 AM
This is how I roll.      :mn:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 04:05:14 AM
Annealed and drilled. Yes I would like better but this little setup works fine.

us Offline afinitaln

Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 03:57:45 PM
when you get a hook in your leg or through your hand will your needle nose pliers cut a 3/0 hook, I think not!

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 05:11:53 PM
Ignoring the price, I love the looks, and I'm not even a fisherman! A quick troll through ebay found these though, the price seems much more palatable at $12.50, shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Stainless-Steel-Jaw-Aluminum-Bent-Nose-Fish-Line-Cutter-Tackle-Remove-Pliers-/251628560476?pt=US_Taxidermy&hash=item3a963b205c

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 08:59:03 PM

Yes! My parents bought me a set of Abel pliers for Christmas one year.
Certainly the fanciest pliers I've owned- and multi-coloured. And they're sitting somewhere among some rocks by the lake... somewhere.  :facepalm:
Cheap pliers for me it is.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 02:28:53 PM
when you get a hook in your leg or through your hand will your needle nose pliers cut a 3/0 hook, I think not!

So true mate.  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD