Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber 400 Compact Sport

J-sews · 16 · 10269

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Gerber 400 Compact Sport
on: April 08, 2007, 05:16:55 AM
Often overshadowed by its big brothers in the 600 series, the Gerber Compact Sport offers a good compromise of capability in a downsized package. It uses the now-familiar method of sliding jaws to access the pliers, a big convenience in situations where you only have one hand available. Push the two buttons, flick your wrist, and POOF, instant pliers!

The plier head itself is considerably smaller and lighter than those found on the full-size 600 tools or on the Gerber Diesel. They have a useful needlenose shape which tapers narrowly at the tip. A good design, the only contact between the jaws is out at the very end. A person could pull slivers with this thing.

In addition to being a full one inch shorter than the 600, the Compact Sport is also about .080” (2mm) thinner. The downside? Instead of the usual nine blades/drivers found on the bigger Gerbers, there is only room enough for seven on the 400. Happily, the selection is quite useful.

To start with, even though this is a downsized tool, Gerber managed to squeeze in a full-sized knife blade. Mine is a half-serrated/half-plain-edge combination blade. I don’t know if they are all made that way.

Also included are an array of three different size flat head screwdrivers, a can opener, a bottle opener, and a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Note that the massive square shank on the Phillips is the same one found on other Gerber tools, which allows use of the accessory hex bit driver.

Best of all, The Compact Sport comes equipped with a set of Fiskars scissors. Now admittedly, the scissor jaws are too short for serious paper cutting work. And the scissor handle is too narrow, which leaves a painful indentation in your thumb when cutting cardstock. But neither of these tasks are what you should be doing with a pair of multitool scissors anyway. The little Fiskars are more than adequate for trimming fingernails or snipping off fishing line.

So what’s missing then? Gerber left off the file blade (which I miss) and the lanyard ring (which I don’t). Oh, and by the way, all of the blades and drivers lock up snugly. Releasing the lock is easy, and can be accomplished one-handed with those black plastic spring-loaded slide switches.

Oh, and by the way again, the blades don’t clump together when you unfold them. Ever. You want the knife? You get just the knife, not every other tool in that handle. Thin little tabbed washers between each blade make sure of that.

So is the little Compact Sport as capable as the bigger tools? No, of course not. But it is smaller and lighter and easier to carry, which means it is more likely to be on your person when that unforeseen situation comes up that requires a multitool.

Good:
Lighter weight than full-sized multitools….
…..yet much more capable than “keychain” sized plier tools.
2-1/2” knife blade.
One-hand plier access.

Not so good:
First the jaws, and then the handles have to be opened up in order to access blades.

Dimensions:
Length closed   4-3/8”  (111mm)
Width Closed      1-1/2”  (38mm)
Thickness      11/16”  (17mm)
Length open      5-5/8”  (143mm)
Weight      6 oz  (168g)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Gerber 400 Compact Sport
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:29:07 AM
I agree J-Sews, I use to own a 400 Compact Sport. It was my second Gerber and introduced me to the one hand opening "flick" pliers that Gerber was so famous for. I later gave it to a friend for chrismas because I owned tools that has surpassed what the 400 gave me in quality and plus I felt like spreading the love. Heck my dad has my ST200...I thought, he's 65.....he'll never use it? Right? My mother said proudly today that even though I have an "obsession" she said it's ok, I help those in need, she let me know that the knives and tools I have given my father over the years are cherished and used very hard. I check out a crappy knife he uses for doing "dirty: work, it's a small lockback made by winchester with 2 inch blade. I was amazed how sharp it was just by the free hand sharpening on a stone, I have somewhat lost a little bit of the art since getting a sharpening system with rods and I forget the simple things and the knowledge passed down from father to son. Made me proud, we didn't have much in the way of high priced cutlery, but I have more than made up for it as he has gotten older and so have I.

Ok gotta get to bed, getting all centimenal on you guys :cry: Thanks for the great review J-Sews, brought back some memories.

David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 04:07:34 AM
Thanks Dave, good to hear that your dad is into the tool and knife thing too.  :)  Guess that proves that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, eh?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:22:35 PM
These are actually std issue to H.M Coastguard Cliff Rescue teams . Mostly used to release carabiner locking collers that are too tight . The one handed pliers are very usefull in this role . Will find out a bit more and take some photos .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:35:34 AM
I'd be interested in hearing how they hold up to the salt water exposure. :-\

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:59:55 AM
I'd be interested in getting one of these.  I'm a fan of my 600 which I carry around often.  :tu:
I'll check on ebay and see what they've got.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:10:49 PM
I'd be interested in hearing how they hold up to the salt water exposure. :-\

Its unlikely to get too much salt water on it as H.M Coastguard Rescue teams are shore based , although most of their work is carried out on beaches and shoreline so Sea spray and especially sand would play a big part .Also quite a number of hours a month are spent on care and maintenance so any rust would be noticed fairly quickly .
   I'll keep you posted .

Dunc

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:31:17 AM
The 400 is a nice little tool. It was the tool I carried in work for many years, loved the one handed flick to open pliers. Ultimately, the outside opening tools on the Spirit was just a little more convenient, so that took the 400's place.

For me, the 400 and especially the 600 series are classic iconic Gerber designs which I quite liked and didn't mind using.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:35:23 AM by Millhouse »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:18:31 PM
Some pics to show its main use ....

Dunc

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 11:07:20 PM
do you really do them up that tight?   :think:
I

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 11:15:42 PM
do you really do them up that tight?   :think:

No its to undo them . They can stretch a tiny bit when under load and can be hard to undo .Doesnt happen often but it does happen .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 08:36:44 PM
Well I'm not totally done with my MP400 testing but I'm really not impressed with the scissors  :( Gerber say they will cut seat belts  , they don't  :twak:  the can opener sucks big time you just end up with a twisted mess of sharp metal .Both LM and Vic scissors and can openers leave this standing .
  The fiddle factor is still good though  :D  ::)

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:28:28 AM
Well I'm not totally done with my MP400 testing but I'm really not impressed with the scissors  :( Gerber say they will cut seat belts  , they don't  :twak:  the can opener sucks big time you just end up with a twisted mess of sharp metal .Both LM and Vic scissors and can openers leave this standing .
  The fiddle factor is still good though  :D  ::)

Dunc

Just a little update on the scissors , I think the above example just came with blunt/bad grind on the scissors. I've had 3 other MP400s go through my hands since and the scissors have all been fine.
  As for the can opener its more a case of technique , the opener has a tendency to wander into the centre of the can as you go round it, if you make an effort to keep the tip close to the edge then its very effective.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:59:03 AM
It's no secret that I've become a big fan of the MP400 (and the MP450), as Bob says in the original review it's a far more convenient size that it's bigger brother; the MP600.  It'd be nice to see Gerber doing some more versions of the MP400 IMO.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:47 AM
It's no secret that I've become a big fan of the MP400 (and the MP450), as Bob says in the original review it's a far more convenient size that it's bigger brother; the MP600.  It'd be nice to see Gerber doing some more versions of the MP400 IMO.

I'm a convert too  :tu: A readily available blunt nosed version, a factory knifeless version, blade exchangers, diamond files, and other innovation would be fantastic. Gerber have brought out more versions of the 600 than any other maker has of any tool I believe, and I wish they'd have the same level of innovation and variety with the 400

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline macabee

Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 04:19:57 PM
These are actually std issue to H.M Coastguard Cliff Rescue teams . Mostly used to release carabiner locking collers that are too tight . The one handed pliers are very usefull in this role . Will find out a bit more and take some photos .

Dunc

Are they still issued? :salute:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24