Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What light did you carry today?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: What light did you carry today?
Reply #900 on: June 15, 2015, 09:06:46 AM
Nice pic buddy. :tu:  Is it a Fenix LD20?

My torch carrying habits have been extremely boring recently as I've just been carrying my Nitecore Tube on my keyring. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #901 on: June 15, 2015, 12:54:41 PM

My torch carrying habits have been extremely boring recently as I've just been carrying my Nitecore Tube on my keyring. :shrug:

It is yes. I had to do a trip without my bag so it came along as a backup to the i3S on my keyring. How are you liking the Nitecore Tube?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #902 on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:49 PM

It is yes. I had to do a trip without my bag so it came along as a backup to the i3S on my keyring. How are you liking the Nitecore Tube?

I'm liking it a lot.  If I was still working as a maintenance guy then it wouldn't be enough, but for the little day-to-day things like searching for stuff behind the TV/under the sofa/at the back of the cupboard/keyholes at night etc. then it's great.

If I had a tiny complaint then it would be that once or twice I've found it turned on in my pocket.  No biggie though.

us Offline murrydan

Reply #903 on: July 09, 2015, 06:58:02 PM
Today, McGizmo Mule

Yesterday, Ti Muyshondt Aeon MkII

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #904 on: July 09, 2015, 10:12:47 PM
Today, McGizmo Mule

Yesterday, Ti Muyshondt Aeon MkII

Why don't you tell us something about your lights.

Most of us,including myself, don't know much about 3-$400.00 customs.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline murrydan

Reply #905 on: July 09, 2015, 11:03:07 PM

Sure.

The McGizmo is made by Don McLeish in Hawaii. Don has been making LED lights for over 20 years and has gotten pretty good at balancing optimal output and runtime. It is a full titanium CR123/16340 light with a Nichia 219V (NVSL 119 H1 - 1.3mm x 1.3mm die with max drive of 1500mA). It has a 3 stage driver low = 7 lumen, medium - 28 lumen, high - 125 lumen. The term "mule" means it has no reflector, which seems sill because the McGizmo Haiku reflector is regarded as the best on the market. I prefer the mule style because it has no hotspot, this light emits just a solid wall of 94 CRI light at 4600K. As expected, it is regulated, has an AR sapphire lens, and takes any and all battery chemistries.

The second light is an all titanium Muyshondt Aeon Mark II (MkII) made by Enrique Muyshondt in Texas. The Aoen is a very small light, only 55mm long. This particular version is kind of rare, not completely sure how many he made, but there aren't many Ti versions out there. The Ti version has a 3 stage progressive twisty - twist on for low, twist more for medium, twist a little more for high… I prefer this type of mode switching over the usual twist on, twist off, twist back on… It has an AR sapphire lens, light orange peel parabolic reflector (which gives it impressive throw), 93 CRI Nichia 219 LED that tops out at 120 lumen, gold plated circuit contacts, and runs on a CR2 battery.

You can pick up a McGizmo from Don's sub on CPF, and unfortunately, the Ti Aeon has been discontinued.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #906 on: July 10, 2015, 12:32:28 AM
Cracking lights mate. :tu:

I've finally taken the Nitecore Tube off my keys and dug out something else to carry.  Went for my older Thrunite T10 (twisty, not clicky).  Still one of my favourite little lights.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #907 on: July 10, 2015, 12:41:35 AM
Sure. The McGizmo is made by Don McLeish in Hawaii. Don has been making LED lights for over 20 years and has gotten pretty good at balancing optimal output and runtime. It is a full titanium CR123/16340 light with a Nichia 219V (NVSL 119 H1 - 1.3mm x 1.3mm die with max drive of 1500mA). It has a 3 stage driver low = 7 lumen, medium - 28 lumen, high - 125 lumen. The term "mule" means it has no reflector, which seems sill because the McGizmo Haiku reflector is regarded as the best on the market. I prefer the mule style because it has no hotspot, this light emits just a solid wall of 94 CRI light at 4600K. As expected, it is regulated, has an AR sapphire lens, and takes any and all battery chemistries.
The second light is an all titanium Muyshondt Aeon Mark II (MkII) made by Enrique Muyshondt in Texas. The Aoen is a very small light, only 55mm long. This particular version is kind of rare, not completely sure how many he made, but there aren't many Ti versions out there. The Ti version has a 3 stage progressive twisty - twist on for low, twist more for medium, twist a little more for high… I prefer this type of mode switching over the usual twist on, twist off, twist back on… It has an AR sapphire lens, light orange peel parabolic reflector (which gives it impressive throw), 93 CRI Nichia 219 LED that tops out at 120 lumen, gold plated circuit contacts, and runs on a CR2 battery.
You can pick up a McGizmo from Don's sub on CPF, and unfortunately, the Ti Aeon has been discontinued.
Thanks.

I'm familiar with Don McLeish. I became a member of Candlepowerforums in 2004.I didn't stick around long and pursued other hobbies.When I returned in 2014 it wouldn't accept my old user name,so I re-registered.

Those are some interesting lights and congrats.I certainly couldn't help but notice there was no reflector on the Mule.I imagine that the Mule must emit light in a 160 to 180 degree radius.

I understand that Anti-reflective coatings allow more light to be projected from the emitter since it prevents reflection from inside the lens.I'm also familiar with the sapphire lens since my Rolex Submariner uses a sapphire crystal.

Although interesting and they certainly illustrate the capabilities of flashlight technology,I'm afraid they're a little beyond my desire at the moment.I'm still stuck in the Surefire time warp.LOL   Although that may change in the future.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:46:45 AM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #908 on: July 10, 2015, 12:42:20 AM
I'm putting the Zebralight SC52 back into rotation.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #909 on: July 10, 2015, 03:30:58 AM
Since I received this Surefire I slide it into my right rear pocket at the beginning of the day.
DSCN2217.JPG
* DSCN2217.JPG (Filesize: 189.55 KB)

us Offline murrydan

Reply #910 on: July 10, 2015, 05:46:03 AM
Thanks.

I'm familiar with Don McLeish. I became a member of Candlepowerforums in 2004.I didn't stick around long and pursued other hobbies.When I returned in 2014 it wouldn't accept my old user name,so I re-registered.

Those are some interesting lights and congrats.I certainly couldn't help but notice there was no reflector on the Mule.I imagine that the Mule must emit light in a 160 to 180 degree radius.

I understand that Anti-reflective coatings allow more light to be projected from the emitter since it prevents reflection from inside the lens.I'm also familiar with the sapphire lens since my Rolex Submariner uses a sapphire crystal.

Although interesting and they certainly illustrate the capabilities of flashlight technology,I'm afraid they're a little beyond my desire at the moment.I'm still stuck in the Surefire time warp.LOL   Although that may change in the future.

Thanks again.

Yes, the Mule has about a 160° radius, the LED is set back in the head about 1/4" so it is not a full 180°. You are correct about the AR sapphires, if a light does not have anti-reflective coating on the inside you can lose some brightness as some of the light will be reflected back into the head. The loss in negligible, but with high CRI LEDs the output is only around 120 lumen so every bit counts.

I got into custom lights because I enjoyed the academics and craftsmanship behind them.

If the McGizmo is something you are interested in, there is a guy in Mobile, Alabama named Gene Malkoff who makes an aluminum version of the Haiku. The Malkoff Devices MDC uses most of same parts as Don's lights, but since the body is aluminum, it only cost $99. Like Don, Gene is very selective in the LEDs he uses and each light accurately represents the advertised specs.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #911 on: July 10, 2015, 03:27:08 PM
For a long time now, Led Lenser K1 + SwissHexabyte scale led.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline murrydan

Reply #912 on: July 11, 2015, 02:43:31 AM
Today was a McGizmo Haiku kinda day.

This is the classic McGizmo, with the Haiku reflector head. This light has a handpicked XP-G2 emitter with great CRI for an XP-G2 and tops out at about 225 lumen. Don's reflector is what really makes this light a gem. It is the perfect balance of throw and flood, and the transition from the hotspot to the flood is seamless. There are absolutely no rings or artifacts, making this light perfect for up close work, as well as shooting across and open field. As with all of Don's lights the LED uses power conservatively and efficiently, giving you seemingly unending run times and excellent heat distribution.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:09:18 AM by murrydan »

us Offline murrydan

Reply #913 on: November 27, 2015, 05:57:29 AM
Tain Flute today.

But I have been carrying my Haiku a lot since I got a new XP-L HI light engine from DatiLED.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:01:21 AM by murrydan »

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #914 on: December 04, 2015, 05:52:37 AM
I went with these five, today, and used them at work, very heavily:

Left to Right:
Zebralight SC62w (XM-L2 neutral 4500K)
Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 (neutral 4500K)
Solarforce L2P with Sportac Triple Nichia 219 2-mode
Solarforce L2N with custom Erik Kress XM-L 7C (extremely warm tint)
Fenix E50 XM-L T6 (neutral)

In the foreground: a pair of XTAR VC2 Plus and a VC4 charger (three of the main eight chargers I use).  I'm a huge fan of the 18650 battery, for EDC flashlights), and I love XTAR (and Nitecore chargers).

The only light I had on-person (because of the dress code) was the SC62w, while the rest were carried in a bag. The work area is completely lit by awful fluorescent lighting.  I used these (some, ceiling-bounced), instead.  I think fluorescent lighting is the most depressing, ugliest lighting ever invented, and I try to avoid using it, whenever possible lol.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:08:49 AM by David Quevedo »

us Offline murrydan

Reply #915 on: December 06, 2015, 09:40:39 PM
Today

Yesterday

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #916 on: December 14, 2015, 02:21:16 AM

Left to Right:

In the foreground: a pair of XTAR VC2 Plus and a VC4 charger (three of the main eight chargers I use).  I'm a huge fan of the 18650 battery, for EDC flashlights), and I love XTAR (and Nitecore chargers).

The only light I had on-person (because of the dress code) was the SC62w, while the rest were carried in a bag. The work area is completely lit by awful fluorescent lighting.  I used these (some, ceiling-bounced), instead.  I think fluorescent lighting is the most depressing, ugliest lighting ever invented, and I try to avoid using it, whenever possible lol.

Perfect timing. I am in the market for a charger and been looking at the XTAR VC models.

Since you have a few I am guessing you like them?

Forgot to ask where do you buy your 18650 batteries and what brand do you like?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:23:08 AM by HarleyXJGuy »

ca Offline JP

Reply #917 on: December 14, 2015, 02:40:12 AM
Took the EagleTac P10A and the NiteCore SRT3 running AA with me hunting this morning. Set up about 45minutes before sunrise but I still didn't see any deer.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #918 on: December 15, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Took the EagleTac P10A and the NiteCore SRT3 running AA with me hunting this morning. Set up about 45minutes before sunrise but I still didn't see any deer.

The P10A is an excellent light IMO.  Not perfect perhaps, but still very good at throwing light out there. :tu:

ca Offline JP

Reply #919 on: December 15, 2015, 05:49:58 PM
I do like the deeper reflector of the P10A. The light is in great shape for its age and the life it has lead.... Heavy drinking ...lol

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #920 on: December 15, 2015, 08:09:38 PM

Left to Right:

Perfect timing. I am in the market for a charger and been looking at the XTAR VC models.

I love the XTAR chargers that I have (2-VP2; 2 VC4, and 2 VC2 Plus), for different reasons.  They have different feature sets/strengths, which are very handy.

I tend to go with Panasonic-based batteries (sometimes, protected; sometimes not, depending on which light I'm running).

XTAR actually have a sale through the 24th of this month, on many of their chargers, and they include free shipping (to the lower 48, I think) - 25% off!

They also sell a 2600 mAh 18650 protected battery for 7 bucks (I think it's a Sanyo core, but it's reputable, and have received good reviews), which works well in many of my lights - and since they're just five minutes away from me, it's extremely convenient. 
http://xtardirect.com/collections/batteries/products/18650-2600mah-icr18650-26f-battery-protected

For high-drain lights, I go with higher amperage (usually high drain) batteries. I've been buying LG 3200 mAh protected batteries, through Mountain Electronics, which work great (and Mountain Electronics are a dependable battery seller):
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=499&search=18650MH1+

Here is a bunch of discussion on batteries and chargers in another forum:
http://forum.everydaycarry.com/index.php/topic/434-batteries/

Some more discussion on these and other chargers I use:
http://www.edcforums.com/threads/xtar-vp2-vc4-vc2-plus-nitecore-i4-v2-and-d4-chargers.121077/

I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:00:15 PM by David Quevedo »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #921 on: December 16, 2015, 11:54:27 PM
The Eagletac D25A clicky has been doing it's usual great job for the last while, but I've decided that it's time to go a little lighter again and swapped it over for my Thrunite Tube.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:59:31 PM by Gareth »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #922 on: December 17, 2015, 04:31:38 AM

Left to Right:

I love the XTAR chargers that I have (2-VP2; 2 VC4, and 2 VC2 Plus), for different reasons.  They have different feature sets/strengths, which are very handy.

I tend to go with Panasonic-based batteries (sometimes, protected; sometimes not, depending on which light I'm running).

XTAR actually have a sale through the 24th of this month, on many of their chargers, and they include free shipping (to the lower 48, I think) - 25% off!

They also sell a 2600 mAh 18650 protected battery for 7 bucks (I think it's a Sanyo core, but it's reputable, and have received good reviews), which works well in many of my lights - and since they're just five minutes away from me, it's extremely convenient. 
http://xtardirect.com/collections/batteries/products/18650-2600mah-icr18650-26f-battery-protected

For high-drain lights, I go with higher amperage (usually high drain) batteries. I've been buying LG 3200 mAh protected batteries, through Mountain Electronics, which work great (and Mountain Electronics are a dependable battery seller):
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=499&search=18650MH1+

Here is a bunch of discussion on batteries and chargers in another forum:
http://forum.everydaycarry.com/index.php/topic/434-batteries/

Some more discussion on these and other chargers I use:
http://www.edcforums.com/threads/xtar-vp2-vc4-vc2-plus-nitecore-i4-v2-and-d4-chargers.121077/

I hope this helps!

Perfect, thanks!

So for someone just getting started with 16340s for my Sunwayman 11R, Eneloops for around the house and 18650 for the light I intend to buy. VC 4 or VC 2 plus?

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #923 on: December 19, 2015, 12:31:33 AM

Perfect, thanks!

So for someone just getting started with 16340s for my Sunwayman 11R, Eneloops for around the house and 18650 for the light I intend to buy. VC 4 or VC 2 plus?
[/quote]

The price is unbelievably low, on both models.  Why not get both?  You can't go wrong.  If the cost is an issue, then I'd probably recommend the VC4, so you end up with four charging banks.  They work very similarly, but the metering looks different.  If you have to go with just one, and can live with only having two banks of charging, at a time, then it's hard to beat the VC2 Plus.  I was considering picking up another VC2 Plus and another VC4, but went with another pair of VC2 Plus chargers.  I went ahead and bought them on-line, then just will-called them, a few minutes later.  I noticed, when I made the purchase, there was a $5.00 shipping charge (as there always used to be, previously), but that would be refunded, for a will-call purchase.  Still, they're both excellent chargers.  The VC2 Plus is tiny; so if you're going to be traveling, it would be more compact/easier to carry one in your bag.

Just remember - you need to feed enough juice into these (through the USB connection - they come with the USB cable; but you need to provide the USB power), to get the full charging power out of these chargers.  If you're considering just using your laptop (for instance) to run these chargers - I wouldn't recommend it.  It won't provide enough amperage, and your batteries will take forever to charge.

I'm using an Anker 40-watt 5-port USB charger, which will run a maximum of 2.1 amps per port (8 Amps max -all ports, combined), and it works really well with these chargers. I use two ports of that for my external lithium ion batteries (also Anker products). You can travel with this, and use just one hub, rather than five separate chargers.  You just need to provide the right USB cable to charge your device (phone, tablet, or other compatible device).

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Charging-Multi-Port-Charger/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450479777&sr=1-9&keywords=anker+usb+hub

You always have the option of using a 5V, 2.1 Amp home adapter, and plugging the provided USB cable into that.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #924 on: December 19, 2015, 12:48:58 AM
The Nitecore Tube and a Fenix E05, both in the backpack.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #925 on: December 20, 2015, 12:13:58 AM
The Thrunite  Ti3 ,   S clipped to Leatherman  Squirt PS4

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #926 on: December 20, 2015, 02:16:58 AM

Perfect, thanks!

The price is unbelievably low, on both models.  Why not get both?  You can't go wrong.  If the cost is an issue, then I'd probably recommend the VC4, so you end up with four charging banks.  They work very similarly, but the metering looks different.  If you have to go with just one, and can live with only having two banks of charging, at a time, then it's hard to beat the VC2 Plus.  I was considering picking up another VC2 Plus and another VC4, but went with another pair of VC2 Plus chargers.  I went ahead and bought them on-line, then just will-called them, a few minutes later.  I noticed, when I made the purchase, there was a $5.00 shipping charge (as there always used to be, previously), but that would be refunded, for a will-call purchase.  Still, they're both excellent chargers.  The VC2 Plus is tiny; so if you're going to be traveling, it would be more compact/easier to carry one in your bag.

Just remember - you need to feed enough juice into these (through the USB connection - they come with the USB cable; but you need to provide the USB power), to get the full charging power out of these chargers.  If you're considering just using your laptop (for instance) to run these chargers - I wouldn't recommend it.  It won't provide enough amperage, and your batteries will take forever to charge.

I'm using an Anker 40-watt 5-port USB charger, which will run a maximum of 2.1 amps per port (8 Amps max -all ports, combined), and it works really well with these chargers. I use two ports of that for my external lithium ion batteries (also Anker products). You can travel with this, and use just one hub, rather than five separate chargers.  You just need to provide the right USB cable to charge your device (phone, tablet, or other compatible device).

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerPort-Charging-Multi-Port-Charger/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450479777&sr=1-9&keywords=anker+usb+hub

You always have the option of using a 5V, 2.1 Amp home adapter, and plugging the provided USB cable into that.
[/quote]

Thanks for the great info man. Went with the VC 2 for the countdown timer and more portable size. I had intended to use one of the many phone usb to wall outlet  things I have around the house but will look into the linked hub.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #927 on: December 20, 2015, 06:07:39 AM
Nitecore EA41. Love the light but the strobe is smurfy. It's e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. fast and certain blinks seem brighter than others.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #928 on: December 22, 2015, 06:34:01 PM
If the McGizmo is something you are interested in, there is a guy in Mobile, Alabama named Gene Malkoff who makes an aluminum version of the Haiku. The Malkoff Devices MDC uses most of same parts as Don's lights, but since the body is aluminum, it only cost $99. Like Don, Gene is very selective in the LEDs he uses and each light accurately represents the advertised specs.

I decided to look at the Malkoffs and eventually purchased a Malkoff MDC.Here it is along side of another AA powered light a Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman.

Thanks for your advice.
DSCN2573.JPG
* DSCN2573.JPG (Filesize: 180.39 KB)
DSCN2569.JPG
* DSCN2569.JPG (Filesize: 188.72 KB)

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #929 on: December 22, 2015, 08:33:33 PM
These two today, a good light for me and a durable and well-used loaner :)

"Velocitas Eradico"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD