Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Awls and Chisels for LM Charge, Wave, Surge

J-sews · 99 · 63375

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Awls and Chisels for LM Charge, Wave, Surge
on: April 11, 2007, 05:57:04 AM
Raukodur and Znapschatz were both pointing out how important an awl blade is on a multitool, and how Leatherman should have included one on the Charge. Raukodur suggested the idea of making a special awl bit for the flattened hex driver. Great idea! I would have NEVER thought of that myself.... :P

The first one I made worked, sort of, but it was a full 1/4" hexagon, which doesn't fit into the handy Leatherman bit kit. This new one is way better, and WAY easier to make.

I started with a 5/16" spade bit, used for boring holes in wood. These things are available for less than $2 apiece at every neighborhood hardware store. (Well, in MY neighborhood anyhow.)

The beauty part here is that the spade bit already has a nice sharp awl-point on the end, it is already the right thickness to fit into the Leatherman bit driver socket, and it is almost the right width. Very little grinding required.

First thing I did was grind away the little tips on both flutes of the drill. I wanted the awl to extend full length, to a big point. It was a simple matter to match my grinding to the existing angle on the point.

Next I very carefully ground on the edges, doing my best to match the inside contour of the bit driver socket. It's not that difficult. Go slow, sneak up on the final size carefully, and check the fit often. The goal is to have it just barely fit into the socket.

Last thing to do is cut the finished awl bit off from the shank, and grind the other end to finished length. I made mine the proper length to fit in the bit kit holder. The drill bit steel is very hard, so I used a dremel cut-off disk for the task. Grinding it off too long, then grinding back to length with a bench grinder would work if no Dremel were available.

On the way home from work, I stopped and bought another $2 spade drill bit. Tomorrow I'm going to make it into a chisel blade!

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Awls and Chisels for LM Charge, Wave, Surge
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:32:01 AM
Oh that is cool.

Now I have something productive to actually use my dremel for.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:47:47 AM
Nice! :cheers:  ...remind me not to lend you my Lie-Nielsen chisels!   :P
chisels.jpg
* chisels.jpg (Filesize: 89.67 KB)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:44:46 PM by supratentorial »

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 02:17:30 PM
Amazing stuff Bob. Second attempt at the awl looks perfect and much more reproducable than your first attempt. Cannot wait to see your attempt at the chisel. Simply stunning stuff in terms of the fact you are adding on two extra tools onto a multitool in such a simple and elegant way.

Offline znapschatz

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:25:14 PM
Ooooo!  Swell post, J-sews.  I am saving it in case another Charge comes my way.  You are definitely The Man.

Thanks muchly.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:55:12 PM
Was the bit hard to cut?  I think those are hardened, aren't they? 

Good job though!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 05:23:14 AM
Nice! :cheers:  ...remind me not to lend you my Lie-Nielsen chisels!   :P

HEY! Gimme that one there, it looks like it would almost fit as-is!  (But I suppose those chisels cost a tad more than $2 each....?)  :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:08 AM
Was the bit hard to cut?  I think those are hardened, aren't they? 

The drill bit steel is very hard indeed, but a Dremel abrasive cutoff disk will cut through it.

IMPORTANT:  Always wear safety glasses when using a dremel cutoff disk. (Or while doing any grinding for that matter!) I'm on the Safety Committee, and I'll write anyone up if I catch them grinding with bare eyeballs!  :police:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:27:54 AM
Any luck with the chisel Bob?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 06:47:27 PM
Just finished it up a few minutes ago. I started out with the same type of 5/16 spade drill bit, then ground the flattened hex shape on until it fit my Charge receptacle. The chisel tip was a tad more difficult than I'd expected. The finished point required a fair amount of work with a sharpening stone in order to come out right.

It's sharp as a razor now though. I can hardly wait to stab myself with it.  :P

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 07:18:19 PM
professional job.

When you starting to sell and ship these Bob? I'll be your first customer, maybe you could ship them with a Frog Tool I'm thinking of buying for my dad   :P

Of course that's meant in jest, I know you are probably tired of having me hassle you again, what with all fuss over the leatherman charge TTI (love that tool more and more every time I look at it, very glad I spent the extra money on it)  :grin:

But in truth this is exciting stuff, those are two extra tool for your multitool without having to taake the thing apart. And like with any exchangable / removable part of a multitool, there is no worry to work the thing to the bone, you know if it gets too messed up you can get a replacement (or in this case make one).

Makes me wonder when a multitool company will release a tool which has all replacable parts, especially since they offer such massive warranties (lifetime in the case of victorinox). This way, if a tool gets too worn down or borken, instead of sending it back to the company you could buy a spare part (from the company itself) and replace it on your tool with minimum fuss. It would also allow you to customise the tools you wish to carry on your multi. This is one aspect of the surge I loved, however what I didnt like was that you could only connect the file or the saw to the tool at any one time. On the charge I have now both tools are fixed, I believe I would be much mroe willing to use the tools aggressively if they were BOTH on exchange systems.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 07:50:22 PM
Just like to say I think you guys are really onto something here  :) Great work Bob and it would be nice to see you get some sought of recognition from Leatherman for breathing new life into the Charge/Wave series . Well done .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 04:23:13 AM
Just like to say I think you guys are really onto something here  :) Great work Bob and it would be nice to see you get some sought of recognition from Leatherman for breathing new life into the Charge/Wave series . Well done .

Dunc

Thanks for the kind words Dunc, although I must say it was a team effort. (see below) Afraid I'm more of a do-er than a thinker.  :P I'll leave the brainy work to you fellas.   :D

Raukodur and Znapschatz were both pointing out how important an awl blade is on a multitool, and how Leatherman should have included one on the Charge. Raukodur suggested the idea of making a special awl bit for the flattened hex driver. Great idea! I would have NEVER thought of that myself....

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 09:16:40 AM

Dunc

Thanks for the kind words Dunc, although I must say it was a team effort. (see below) Afraid I'm more of a do-er than a thinker.  :P I'll leave the brainy work to you fellas.   :D

Raukodur and Znapschatz were both pointing out how important an awl blade is on a multitool, and how Leatherman should have included one on the Charge. Raukodur suggested the idea of making a special awl bit for the flattened hex driver. Great idea! I would have NEVER thought of that myself....

What a team  :multi:

Dunc

Offline Thargor

Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 06:30:16 PM

Sorry if this has been suggested already but would it not be possible to grind the awl on one side and the chisel on the other so that its reversible like the other bits?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 07:05:07 PM
Sorry if this has been suggested already but would it not be possible to grind the awl on one side and the chisel on the other so that its reversible like the other bits?

It would indeed be possible (and I will admit that this idea never occurred to me either) but I don't think it would be a good idea. In use, both the awl and the chisel would be "pushed on" hard, causing the other end of the bit to bottom out in the receptacle. If that other end were a sharp awl or chisel, it would probably become dull or damaged.

Offline knife-man

Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 07:16:20 PM

It would indeed be possible (and I will admit that this idea never occurred to me either) but I don't think it would be a good idea. In use, both the awl and the chisel would be "pushed on" hard, causing the other end of the bit to bottom out in the receptacle. If that other end were a sharp awl or chisel, it would probably become dull or damaged.

Unless you could have a tool on the other end which wouldnt matter if it was pressed on .. say a spare flat point driver or erm ..??? I dont know but there must be some.
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 07:36:55 PM
Yeah, I had this exact idea Thargor, but the reason why it isnt a good idea as pointed out by Bob is what the necessary conclusion if when you think about how you would use the tools.

I like the idea of having something on the other side, even if a screwriver type bit, but I don't see it as necessary, especially since it would involve a lot more work on the part of a manufacturer who doesnt do this for a living (i.e. Bob, as opposed to Leatherman). Therefore if it can be done it would be a bonus (can't really think of a disadvantage), but if not, the bits as they are look stunning.

What I've been trying to wrack my brains about are two more possible tools that could be made in this form. The reason being, the bit sheath provided with charge models has 4 empty slots. If two are taken up by a chisel and awl, if the other two could be filled by two more useful tools it would fill the sheath and I think that'd be quite neat.

Cannot think of anything at the moment though  ??? Anyone have any sensible ideas?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 10:49:41 PM
What about a tool similar to that used by people who sew to cut threads, so it has two points (one could be blunt, one sharp?) with a sharp edge inbetween, like I have tried to how with paint below.

Such a tool I feel could be used as a 'reverse' cutting hook (so cutting by pushing forward rather than pulling back), so especially useful on the LMs without their standard cutting hook. I havent thought of any other uses for it.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 11:24:18 PM
And what about this: a wire stripper which is basically a bit with holes in it. I have no idea if this is feasible or practical, just thought i'd throw the idea forward. I've tried to show two alternatives in the paint picture I've made.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 11:37:31 PM
Here's a silly idea- since Leatherman's combo tool works better as a dedicated can opener due to the sharp point, what about a bottle opener notch in the side?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 12:36:07 AM
I just happened to have a beer handy so I used my Wave to open it, and well, you can see the results.

Def
Combo01.JPG
* Combo01.JPG (Filesize: 39.15 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 04:39:41 AM
What about a tool similar to that used by people who sew to cut threads, so it has two points (one could be blunt, one sharp?) with a sharp edge inbetween, like I have tried to how with paint below.

Such a tool I feel could be used as a 'reverse' cutting hook (so cutting by pushing forward rather than pulling back), so especially useful on the LMs without their standard cutting hook. I havent thought of any other uses for it.

Would this tool just do the same type of work as the hook on the backside of your serrated knife blade?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 11:47:28 AM
Thats the problem, I cant figure out another use for it. However, on the surge and wave, and charge models that dont have a cutting hook, wouldnt it be a useful function to have? I think a hook is preferable since the pulling motion is better for this type of cutting than pushing, but can't having pulling on a bit otherwise itd come out of the driver.

Offline damota

Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 12:38:06 PM
Now if you could make a five point security torx bit easy enough to sell them on here. I bet that would get your Karma points well up.   >:D   >:D

Dave

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 07:33:21 AM
I just happened to have a beer handy so I used my Wave to open it, and well, you can see the results.
Gotta work on yer technique there, Def ol' boy!   :pok:

I couldn't count how many bottles of beer I've opened with the combo tool on my original PST or old-skool Wave (plus Wenger SAKs, BuckTools, Gerbers, etc.). It's not that hard.

First of all, once you hook the rim of the cap, twist the tool a bit so that the sharp tip of the opener is near the rim, not in the soft middle of the cap. Also, lift up firmly, rather than "lever" the tool at the rim. That works well for a dedicated bottle opener implement, but with the combo, some allowances must be made. It still beats opening 'em with yer teeth!

:cheers:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 10:33:13 PM
One very important thing you have to do Bob, is give the awl and chisel a test in the leatherman, and tell us how they work! Lets hope they perform well enough to be used on a regular basis.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 04:59:45 AM
One very important thing you have to do Bob, is give the awl and chisel a test in the leatherman, and tell us how they work! Lets hope they perform well enough to be used on a regular basis.

I have not yet used the awl, but the chisel works well enough. Messing around with a piece of scrap wood, I was able to shave up some mighty fine splinters.  ;)  Surprisingly, it seems that the chisel works better "upside down" from how I had first imagined. (see picture below)

If used as shown in the upper sketch, the chisel seemed to dive into the wood and get stuck.

If used as shown in the lower sketch, it would roll up a nice splinter of wood, with no diving in.
Chisel demo.jpg
* Chisel demo.jpg (Filesize: 17.68 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 05:01:04 AM
Now all I need is a legitimate use for it, instead of just making random gouges in a piece of wood. The Vic SwissTool and Vic Spirit both have chisel blades. What do people use them for?

Offline Thargor

Reply #29 on: April 22, 2007, 02:07:32 AM
If you really wanted a chisel on a Leatherman (I dont really, I havent had the need for a chisel since woodwork class in school) wouldnt it be possible to grind the large screwdrivers tip into a shape like this?:

So its a combination large screwdriber/chisel like the combination bottle/can opener? It would still open screws okay I reckon. A bit extreme though maybe...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%