Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Awls and Chisels for LM Charge, Wave, Surge

J-sews · 99 · 63345

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Awls and Chisels for LM Charge, Wave, Surge
Reply #30 on: April 22, 2007, 02:42:42 AM
I must confess, I don't often have a need for a chisel/scraper either. But both the Victorinox SwissTool and the Spirit have a scraper blade, so I assume some folks must have a regular need for one. I suppose the large screwdriver could be sharpened up and do double-duty as a scraper. It seems like using it in the screwdriver mode might dull or damage the sharp chisel edge though?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 11:25:32 AM
Yeah, wouldnt really want to use a sharp edge to open screws, on tough screwes youd be likely to twist the metal I think and wreck your scewdriver and chisel.

So Bob, I am feeling a desperate need to own a chisel and awl bit for my charge, but realise they are preproduction atm  :grin:

If more people are interested in them for their LMs aswell, would you consider creating, selling and shipping them? The thought of adding two more functions to my multitool without compromising anything is quite exciting. Especially since both bits would fit so neatly into the bit sheath.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 01:19:28 PM
Well Raukodur, since this was all mostly your idea anyhow, how about if I just send you a pair of "pre-production samples"?   :)  (Y'know, for field testing trials and such, just like the big manufacturers do.)  :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 01:29:59 PM
Well now Bob, that would be mighty generous of you  :) I would highly appreciate that!

When you get around to it, if you tell me the transatlantic shipping fee I will transfer it to your account.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 02:11:13 PM
One Meeelion dollars!

:twak:

Def
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:07:52 AM by enki_ck »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 12:42:59 AM
Anyone got any ideas for another tool which could be made to fit in the bit driver (i.e. a tool that functiosn by being pushed or twisted, not pulled, or bent)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 01:18:11 AM
How about a drill of some sort?  We could even modify drills with 1/4" driver fittings.

Tom

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:24:10 AM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 01:22:07 AM
Maybe a socket driver.

Offline terry13111

• New User
Reply #38 on: May 10, 2007, 03:20:30 PM
To the original poster, what did you use to grind the bit down?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: May 10, 2007, 07:16:08 PM
To the original poster, what did you use to grind the bit down?

Welcome Terry!

I used an ordinary bench grinder in my garage to do most of the work, then used a dremel grinder to bevel some of the edges. However, you could easily do the entire job with either a bench grinder OR a Dremel grinder. You really don't need both.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: May 26, 2007, 04:11:52 PM
Got a couple of bits waiting to send to you here Raukodur. (If that darn bit extender from L'man ever shows up!)

I made the bevel angle on the chisel steeper, so that it won't tend to "dive in" as much when cutting. I also rubbed them up with gun black, so that they would match the rest of your tool. (After all, we multitool enthusiasts wouldn't want to commit an embarrassing faux pas in public by having our bits clash with our tool now would we?)   ;)
black bits.jpg
* black bits.jpg (Filesize: 94.96 KB)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 26, 2007, 04:51:17 PM
Those look amazing Bob  :D Cannot wait to test them out, hopefully LM will have their bit extender in stock soon.

Thanks for going the extra step and blackening them  ;) Can always tell a master craftsman by the attention to detail.

One point, maybe I missed it on the photos (my screen isnt too good), do the bits need to have a small slot on either side where they 'slot' into the bit driver, like we see on the sides of the bits provided by LM? If not, are they not necessary? I guess the bits may be held quite tightly without the slots.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: May 26, 2007, 05:22:50 PM
 :-[    Ummm...hang on a moment.  (Sound of dremel tool in the background. Sounds of cleaning solution being opened, black oxiding, re-oiling.....)

There we go!  :grin:
bits, notched.jpg
* bits, notched.jpg (Filesize: 68.56 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: May 26, 2007, 05:24:13 PM
Thanks for going the extra step and blackening them  ;) Can always tell a master craftsman by the attention to detail.

Hah! THAT is a good one!  ::) :D

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: May 26, 2007, 07:57:07 PM
They look stunning Bob! As if made by leatherman themselves. You should find out if there is a market for these things and start selling them, I mean who doesnt want to add two new functions to their multitool without having to alter it in any way?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: May 27, 2007, 04:58:28 PM
They look stunning Bob! As if made by leatherman themselves. You should find out if there is a market for these things and start selling them, I mean who doesnt want to add two new functions to their multitool without having to alter it in any way?

Anyone with a Leatherman bit driver should want them, especially the awl. There are just so many occasions where an awl is needed, yet so many multitools that don't have one.

However, the whole idea about discussing this topic in the Mod Forum is to show how easy it is for folks to "do it themselves." Seriously, I've got less than $2 invested in a 5/16 spade drill bit, and about ten minutes on either a dremel grinder or an ordinary bench grinder. Go give it a try guys!
 :multi:

Offline damota

Reply #46 on: May 27, 2007, 11:14:38 PM
I think it is also worth mentioning that the metal that these bits are made of will also braze (silver solder) very well so those bits with drill bit or long driver extensions  are quite easy to do after a bit of practice. This also works with standard bits. The way to look at it is if you want something just try it, if it fails you have just waisted 5-10 minutes  :-[ but if it is successful you will have exactly what you were after with the knowledge that you made it happen.  :cheers:

Dave

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 10:22:14 PM
Recieved those bits today Bob, they are awesome! I am really busy at the moment (have a three week clinical anatomy course) so cannot post any pictures right now, but as soon as I am free I will test them out and post my findings. Cannot wait!

The saw also looks brilliant, will also test that out when I get the chance.

Amazing to think that my Charge acquired two new functions today!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 05:26:14 AM
Glad to hear that they arrived safely sir!   :multi:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: June 09, 2007, 05:09:43 PM
Tried out the awl really quickly, works like a charm! Makes holes in a wide variety of hard meterials in no time, can really work the thing too because its made out of a drill bit which is made for this type of use, and because at the end of the day its replacable.

Same with the chisel, works perfectly for little jobs, and it is so easy to use in the charge bit holder, the fact that you can flip it over to use the other side of the edge is also quite useful.

I have to say Bob, you have outdone yourself with these, I really think you should start making and selling them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 05:15:11 PM
Does it work on Mother In Laws?  Cause if so, I'll take a dozen...   >:D

Seriously, Bob does some good work!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: June 10, 2007, 02:05:36 AM
Hey, I'll take just a wee bit of the credit for this one...it was all Raukodur's idea in the first place. I never would have thought of it. And like I've stated earlier in this thread, ANYONE with a bench grinder or a dremel tool can make these extra bits. They're very easy, very inexpensive, and very useful.

(And how often does that ever happen these days?)  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: June 10, 2007, 04:57:47 AM
I hope you kept some to yourself to play with?

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: June 10, 2007, 10:53:51 AM
They're very easy, very inexpensive, and very useful

When you combine that with the fact that most people are either inept at using such tools, too lazy to do so, or just want to buy ready made stuff, then you have a saleable product  ;)

The fact that the bits are cheap, and it doesnt take long to make them means you would have low cost of production both in terms of money and time, and they are so small you could easily package them and sell them at a relatively cheap price but also make a nice little profit per each bit.

Maybe Multitool.org should start producing a selling some of its modding ideas...would help raise money for the website, if the tools are stamped with the logo, would help act as the best form of advertisement.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 01:42:04 PM
Hmmm...you may be on to something there.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: June 10, 2007, 02:26:50 PM
Along with the bits, there is the metal (and wood) saws you have been handing out free to multitool members, they could very nicely have the multitool logo on the side...

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #56 on: February 02, 2008, 01:19:14 PM
Just now getting the chance to read this thread.  This sounds like a great idea to me.  I'm planning to make a couple of my own.  Now that they've had a few months in the field, any feedback as to how they're working/holding up/suggestions for improvement?  Thanks.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 08:35:10 AM
The awl works great as a general purpose poker/knife tip saver/hole starter. No problems at all, and very easy to make.

The chisel I haven't really needed to use very much. :-\

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: February 03, 2008, 09:08:56 AM
And like I've stated earlier in this thread, ANYONE with a bench grinder or a dremel tool can make these extra bits. They're very easy, very inexpensive, and very useful.

I just happen to have a bench grinder.

I challenge you!

I bet a golden goose egg I can't make one (I wonder if I get a discount for buying 100 drill bits to practice on?)

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #59 on: February 03, 2008, 03:02:08 PM
J-sews,
I picked up a 5/16" bit this week and went to work on it last night, but when I pulled it out of the plastic and measured the thickness, it was just over 1/16" thick, whereas the LM flat bits are a full 1/8" thick.  I checked several of my other larger spade bits and they were all just as thin as the new one.  Was the bit you used just as thick as the flat bits, or were you able to make it work even though the material is thinner?  Just wanted to check before I go tearing up a new bit and then not having anything useful when I'm done.  Thanks!
Tim

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD