Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Awls and Chisels for LM Charge, Wave, Surge

J-sews · 99 · 63430

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Awls and Chisels for LM Charge, Wave, Surge
Reply #60 on: February 03, 2008, 04:12:02 PM
J-sews,
I picked up a 5/16" bit this week and went to work on it last night, but when I pulled it out of the plastic and measured the thickness, it was just over 1/16" thick, whereas the LM flat bits are a full 1/8" thick.  I checked several of my other larger spade bits and they were all just as thin as the new one.  Was the bit you used just as thick as the flat bits, or were you able to make it work even though the material is thinner?  Just wanted to check before I go tearing up a new bit and then not having anything useful when I'm done.  Thanks!
Tim

Hi Tim, yes the spade bit blade was somewhat thinner than the Leatherman flat bits. (I don't have mine with me here, so I cannot check actual sizes) In any case, the thinner spade bit works fine as long as it fits properly in the bit driver receptacle. You will want to "sneak up" on the final dimensions as you grind the bit down. Check the fit often as you go.

Oh, and make sure to try to match up the "flattened hex" contours of the bit driver receptacle as best you can. (See crappy sketch below of end view) It doesn't have to be perfect. Just bevel the edges slightly until it just barely fits.

* end view.jpg (Filesize: 12.8 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #61 on: February 03, 2008, 07:16:04 PM
OK, thanks a lot.  I'll give it a shot later on this week.  That's a really good point about being a knife tip saver.  When I got my new Wave a couple of years ago, within the first two weeks of owning it, I did something and managed to snap the very tip of the PE blade off.  You don't realize how much you use that tip until you don't have it.  I've since managed to sharpen the blade back such that it has a decent tip again, but I'd rather not keep doing that!  Thanks.

Offline crocodilo

Reply #62 on: February 03, 2008, 10:56:39 PM
If you really wanted a chisel on a Leatherman (I dont really, I havent had the need for a chisel since woodwork class in school) wouldnt it be possible to grind the large screwdrivers tip into a shape like this?
(...)

Good evening. Lurker here.

I did this mod to my Charge's large screwdriver. I had little need for this item, due to having the screwdriver bit, and felt a small chisel would be more usefull. So, I just got a metal file and a knife sharpenner, and did it by hand in a couple of minutes. Turned out quite nice. It is still strong enough to pry with, gets under minimal spaces, and is a hell of a push-cutter for tight spaces and wood carving. An awl would also be nice, but then again, I always carry a Vic Soldier or Farmer...

A

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #63 on: February 23, 2008, 06:35:22 PM
Well, Bob, here's my first crack at it.  I'm obviously no machinist, and they're certainly not nearly as pretty as yours, but I think they'll be pretty effective anyway.  I might take another shot at the chisel, since it's a little loose in the bit driver, but the awl, which is more important anyway, came out really well.  It's a real nice snug (but not too snug) fit - it's actually more solid in the bit driver than the LM bit that came with the Wave!  Perfect fit.  Thanks again for the idea and for the tips.  If I do take another crack at the chisel, I'll let you know how it comes out.

P.S. The 5/16 was stamped pretty deeply on the bits I bought.  I was afraid if I ground it out, the already thin bit would get too thin.  Did you grind yours out, or have any concern with this?  Thanks.

* Awl and Chisel Round 1.jpg (Filesize: 16.81 KB)

* Awl in Wave w Chisel Round 1.JPG (Filesize: 99.27 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: February 25, 2008, 02:17:42 PM
Nice job Tim! Looks like they turned out nicely! (Sorry about the slow reply, I'm about 500 miles away from home this week!)

I don't remember exactly how my 5/16 markings turned out. I'll have to check when I get back.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: February 25, 2008, 02:18:51 PM
I see you added the little nicks in the side for the bit adapter detent to engage. Does it seem to click into place correctly for you?

Offline ToolManTim

Reply #66 on: February 26, 2008, 03:44:00 AM
I live in northern Michigan. I was born in northern Michigan, raised in northern Michigan, and spent my whole life in northern Michigan.

I once took a trip all the way to Ohio, to see what the rest of the world was like, but then I came back to northern Michigan  :)

Sounds like you finally made it a little farther than Ohio :D.  Hope you're having a good trip. 

The nicks in the side for the detent work pretty good.  One side is closer to being the exact correct location than the other, so it engages better, but they seem to lock in pretty well on the awl.  The ones on the chisel are a little looser since I ground a little too far and it's a little loose overall.  The next one will be better ;)

I also noticed something else interesting.  I have a LM E306X which has a bit driver as well.  The awl bit still has a very slight taper (the shape of the original drill bit), which makes it slightly narrower at the base than at the top where the point starts (i.e., the sides aren't perfectly parallel like the LM bits are).  It's much snugger in the E306X than it is in the Wave.  In fact, I have to give it a pretty good push to get it to bottom out in the knife.  I was surprised to see that the slots in the two bit drivers were different sizes.   

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: June 08, 2008, 08:12:09 AM
An older post but such a wonderful tool idea. :salute: I read this when I first joined was a great idea to me then and that made me think about it when I got my new wave.  I think that I might just give that a try myself,  it may be a while but I think i'll try it  :D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #68 on: July 23, 2008, 02:33:52 AM
I went to buy a spade bit to make it, $6 each! $*@%, everything is still expensive as hell here.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 02:47:43 AM
I went to buy a spade bit to make it, $6 each! $*@%, everything is still expensive as hell here.

Bummer dude. :( 

(I forgot; where are you at?)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 02:58:43 AM

I'm 500 miles west of Def.  :D

Even thou the canadian dollar almost doubled in value against usd the price basically stayed the same, and when people start to shopping south they now doing bunch of ads ask people to "shop local", riiiight...  ::)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 03:02:43 AM

I'm 500 miles west of Def.  :D

Even thou the canadian dollar almost doubled in value against usd the price basically stayed the same, and when people start to shopping south they now doing bunch of ads ask people to "shop local", riiiight...  ::)

With the Canadian dollar so high against the US dollar, and yet your prices haven't changed, somebody in between is pocketing some big money. :(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: July 23, 2008, 03:14:44 AM
With the Canadian dollar so high against the US dollar, and yet your prices haven't changed, somebody in between is pocketing some big money. :(

You got that right. Even with regular news coverage for months, retailers didn't budge on prices. There's not enough competition in many areas, so the quasi-monopolies can do what they want. We have no real alternatives in many cases...
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: July 27, 2008, 11:46:09 AM

You got that right. Even with regular news coverage for months, retailers didn't budge on prices. There's not enough competition in many areas, so the quasi-monopolies can do what they want. We have no real alternatives in many cases...

Sorry to hear you ppl having it hard about exchange rate Canadian vs. US dollar if the rate is better then prices should drop but when ppl know they can get a certain price 4 something they usually don't want to drop the price >:(

us Offline David

Reply #74 on: January 01, 2012, 06:55:47 PM
Bob, finally got a 5/16 wood bit bought and intend to make an awl. Will let you know how it turns out whenever I get it done. I meant to do this some time ago. But forgot about it till the other day.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #75 on: January 01, 2012, 07:02:43 PM
This old thread shows me I need to read more here :tu:
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline David

Reply #76 on: January 01, 2012, 09:39:28 PM
That didn`t take very long. Here are some in process pics.   :)
awlproject 008.JPG
* awlproject 008.JPG (Filesize: 66.16 KB)
awlproject 011.JPG
* awlproject 011.JPG (Filesize: 59.04 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #77 on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:50 PM
Filing the lock notch and awl in bit card.
awlproject 017.JPG
* awlproject 017.JPG (Filesize: 47.69 KB)
awlproject 025.JPG
* awlproject 025.JPG (Filesize: 69.72 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #78 on: January 01, 2012, 09:42:52 PM
Awl in the TTi.
awlproject 028.JPG
* awlproject 028.JPG (Filesize: 63.52 KB)
Hold Fast

cz Offline Rahmed

Reply #79 on: January 01, 2012, 09:52:05 PM
LM Surge chisel & LM Charge awl from Vic 8)

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #80 on: January 01, 2012, 10:09:48 PM
LM Surge chisel & LM Charge awl from Vic 8)

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Ok tell me how you did the Vic awl in the multi pleeeeaaassssseeeee?
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: January 01, 2012, 10:19:20 PM
Hi Dave, good on you for finally getting it done! :salute: Pretty easy wasn't it? :) Have you tested it out on anything yet?

Nice looking work there Rahmed :tu: Seems like a lot of different tools could be made to work in the Leatherman bit receptacle :)

us Offline David

Reply #82 on: January 01, 2012, 10:33:45 PM
Hi Dave, good on you for finally getting it done! :salute: Pretty easy wasn't it? :) Have you tested it out on anything yet?

Bob it was much easier than I thought it would be. It seems the only tempering in that bit was only on the very end. So it was easy to file the bit into shape. No havent tried it out on any thing yet. This bit was pretty thin so it fit loose in the bit card. I used a little duct tape to take up the slack. Fits nice and tight now.   :D
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: January 01, 2012, 10:38:58 PM

Bob it was much easier than I thought it would be. It seems the only tempering in that bit was only on the very end. So it was easy to file the bit into shape. No havent tried it out on any thing yet. This bit was pretty thin so it fit loose in the bit card. I used a little duct tape to take up the slack. Fits nice and tight now.   :D

Cool! :) And it will definitely save the tip of your knife blade someday :salute:

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #84 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:10 PM
I ground my Wave flat blade driver into a chisel when I was working rental unit maintenance. It was the thing for moving the strike plate around and adjusting how doors latched shut. Anybody I worked with only had to see that once before they had they own Wave and were asking me to grind it.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

gr Offline antouant

Reply #85 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:31 PM
Does anyone know, is SOG awl fits somehow in LM Wave?

http://www.sogknives.com/tactical/accessories/awl.html

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #86 on: September 29, 2013, 11:07:25 PM
I know, necro thread and stuff, but I just wanted to say my browser gives a malware-warning for page two of this thread... Just so you know ;) I've not checked it out further.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 11:51:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I get the same warning on page 3, not 2. I've reported ti so hopefully Whoey can sort this out soon.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #88 on: September 30, 2013, 04:09:11 AM
It was just a picture of Dr. Evil.  >:D   All fixed now.

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #89 on: September 30, 2013, 06:26:11 AM
Now I have to het a 5/16 paddle bit now and try it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%