Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Applying new scales..

AHB · 72 · 29065

gb Offline Pignut71

Re: Applying new scales..
Reply #60 on: October 10, 2011, 11:31:31 PM
Great thread!

Slightly OT but can anyone advise a good place to get scales in the UK?

Regards, Jon.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: October 10, 2011, 11:57:11 PM
I've always got mine from Neil.  Check out his EDCsource shop:
http://www.edcsource.com/Hive-of-SAKtivity,name,100034,user_id,shop
or drop him a PM if what you want isn't listed, decent chance he'll have it. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 09:50:25 AM
Cool alan and the funny thing is ive put those blackk scales you took of the tinker back on a tinker here  :D  :tu:

gr Offline volbu

Reply #63 on: April 04, 2012, 09:37:29 AM
I guess if I make wooden scales I will also need to use glue for them,
If then u need to remove some glued scales?? I guess u run the risk of breaking them or something.

Any experience on that?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:35 PM

If you have used epoxy adhesive to glue the scales you can try warming the knife with a hair dryer or hot water, it should soften the glue a little  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline firefox2003

Reply #65 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:04 PM
Were do you purchase them because i am looking for 84mm ones. :sak: :tool:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: April 07, 2012, 12:42:45 AM
Were do you purchase them because i am looking for 84mm ones.

Felinevet at http://www.edcsource.com/FELINEVET-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE-STORE,name,100015,user_id,shop , Rotokid at http://www.edcsource.com/Rotokids-Shop,name,100496,user_id,shop , pizzini.at, swiss-knife.com and so on and so forth.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #67 on: September 22, 2016, 10:23:41 PM
I don't currently have a vice, but would something like this cheap vice be suitable? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-50mm-REVOLVING-SWIVEL-MINI-BABY-BENCH-WORKBENCH-TABLE-VICE-HOBBY-MODEL-MAKING-/301696004873

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline sidpost

Reply #68 on: October 21, 2016, 06:16:10 AM
With a vice, it is best to spend enough money to get one that doesn't flex and stays square and true.  The cheap Chinese ones I have been around were not worth scrap metal price because the screw handle didn't turn true and the jaws would move and never line up properly.  You also want a good base or table to bolt your vice too as things get exponentially worse with unplanned movement.
 :rant:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #69 on: October 23, 2016, 02:59:22 PM
With a vice, it is best to spend enough money to get one that doesn't flex and stays square and true.  The cheap Chinese ones I have been around were not worth scrap metal price because the screw handle didn't turn true and the jaws would move and never line up properly.  You also want a good base or table to bolt your vice too as things get exponentially worse with unplanned movement.
 :rant:

Okay, thanks. You usually get what you pay for with tools. Does anyone have any recommendations for a small table vice?
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline sidpost

Reply #70 on: October 23, 2016, 04:03:11 PM
For a much different thought, you might want to compare woodworking clamps.  While unacceptable for traditional "vice" tasks, they are great for clamping force and are very useful for other projects.  The cheap wooden screw kind are very cheap and the nice German ratchet types were ~$20USD for the small ones and $35~45USD for the bigger ones I got long ago.

If you make pictures frames, bird houses, etc. I would seriously consider looking at the German woodworking options.  With the Euro and Pound both being relatively depressed, they may be a great bargain at the moment.  The German clamps I have will put enough pressure on a bookcase or picture frames to crush them.  On the aquariums stands I made with 4"x4" stock, I had to use protective wood blocks to avoid impressions in the wood.  To say those clamps put out a lot of clamping force is an understatement!

Good vices get expensive fast so, if you won't use it much, an extra cup of coffee (or tea) in the morning for your local mechanic friend and a couple of wood blocks to protect from the oils/grease and jaws and call it done!  In the USA, Wilton is the brand you want but, a small one will buy at least 10 SAKs! 

My father went with the a lesser brand at about 50% the cost which made the Wilton only that much more expensive (the jaws failed and when welded back together weren't true).   :rant:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 01:42:40 AM
 :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh I just did it and it's so easy I wish I had done it years ago!!!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD