Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is there any MT you wouldn't ever buy/use?

GraysonK · 153 · 12055

Offline sappyg

Re: Is there any MT you wouldn't ever buy/use?
Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 02:03:51 PM
i have not had any experience with gerber MT's and from reading this thread i'm glad don't. chaulk me up for not buying one
i have both the LM squirt P4 and S4 and have found them to quite useless for me. they are neat but just way too small to use. 
i

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 03:38:17 PM
No.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 08:28:40 PM
I will NEVER buy the Gerber Crucial. I wanted to before, but I like the Skeletool too much. LM had a phenomenal idea of a minimalist tool and Gerber made an inferior abomination... I don't blame Gerber for copying the idea, but it's based on the Skeletool. It even has a carabiner. That tells me that the Gerber guys are running out of ideas!  :D

A few Gerbers aren't bad, but they are not my cup of tea. I will never buy another Gerber multiplier until they come out with an original design that is good... I like Gerber knives, I'll still by them.

Sure, LM copied Gerber's idea of replaceable wire cutters: the thing is that LM improved on that design. They didn't make a knockoff or anything.

I understand the MT manufacturers "borrow" ideas from other companies, but still, you can take the idea but use some ingenuity and make it a little different!

Sorry, but you are talking out of your bottom.  ::)

Gerber can't copy a LM idea (which actually isn't exactly the same and was actually Bucks idea first) but Leatherman can copy Gerber and that's fine?  From your comments it seems you regard the Crucial as being the same as a Skeletool, have you seen the Crucial at all as it looks far more innovative and different than the absolute blatant copy of the carbide cutters.

This is a perfect example of double standards - sorry.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 08:32:50 PM
I'm probably gonna be bashed for this but I probably won't get any Swiss army plier style muti-tool, they seem to be just a SAK in plier form factor with the small bladed tools.- where is the sense in that? I'll just get more SAK if I wanted.

nothing wrong with that, those hobby pliers can't be used for much and your views and opinions are valid :salute:

I assumed he was talking about the Swisstools (not SAK's with pliers).  Maybe wrong though.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 04:32:46 AM
I will NEVER buy the Gerber Crucial. I wanted to before, but I like the Skeletool too much. LM had a phenomenal idea of a minimalist tool and Gerber made an inferior abomination... I don't blame Gerber for copying the idea, but it's based on the Skeletool. It even has a carabiner. That tells me that the Gerber guys are running out of ideas!  :D

A few Gerbers aren't bad, but they are not my cup of tea. I will never buy another Gerber multiplier until they come out with an original design that is good... I like Gerber knives, I'll still by them.

Sure, LM copied Gerber's idea of replaceable wire cutters: the thing is that LM improved on that design. They didn't make a knockoff or anything.

I understand the MT manufacturers "borrow" ideas from other companies, but still, you can take the idea but use some ingenuity and make it a little different!

Gerber can't copy a LM idea (which actually isn't exactly the same and was actually Bucks idea first) but Leatherman can copy Gerber and that's fine?  From your comments it seems you regard the Crucial as being the same as a Skeletool, have you seen the Crucial at all as it looks far more innovative and different than the absolute blatant copy of the carbide cutters.

Ben, I honestly think you are completely wrong. Buck did indeed introduce a minimalist concept with the X-Tract. But, it's based around a knife blade, the Skeletool is based around a pair of pliers with a pocket clip and a carabiner for a bunch of different carry options. The X-Tract is a sheath carry tool really. It's not meant to replace your EDC folder etc. Gerber blatantly copied the Skeletool with the carabiner, one handed blade, and pocket clip...even the handles have a Skeletool appearance.

Gerber wasn't the first company to manufacture replaceable wire cutters on pliers either. I remember seeing them on high grade fishing pliers way before Gerber came out with them. I believe Van Staal was the first to have replaceable cutters.

I think your the one talking out of your bottom.

B

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 04:55:13 AM
I don't blame Gerber for copying the idea, but it's based on the Skeletool. It even has a carabiner. That tells me that the Gerber guys are running out of ideas!...  Gerber blatantly copied the Skeletool with the carabiner, one handed blade, and pocket clip...even the handles have a Skeletool appearance.

Leatherman doesn't own patents for the carabiner, one handed blade, pocket clip and "crescent" shaped handles so any company can make a tool with those features.  However, a company can't make a tool 100% identical to the Skeletool and give it a similar name like "Skele-tool" or "Skelli-Tool" because THAT would be blatantly copying them. 

If Leatherman felt that the Crucial copied the Skeletool too closely, there would already be a lawsuit against Gerber but there isn't.  I would be surprised if Leatherman did decide to sue Gerber over the Crucial.  That's as silly as Spyderco claiming they own a patent over a circle!
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 05:00:40 AM
I understand what you mean. I understand that the companies borrow ideas, but Gerber went too far with the Skeletool. That's what I'm getting at!
B

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 05:02:55 AM
I'm probably gonna be bashed for this but I probably won't get any Swiss army plier style muti-tool, they seem to be just a SAK in plier form factor with the small bladed tools.- where is the sense in that? I'll just get more SAK if I wanted.

nothing wrong with that, those hobby pliers can't be used for much and your views and opinions are valid :salute:

I assumed he was talking about the Swisstools (not SAK's with pliers).  Maybe wrong though.

could be ;) but not counting size of the plier, are not all current plier based MTs spawns of SAKs then? not just Swisstools :think:
singletool can clear it up :P

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 05:08:52 AM
That's as silly as Spyderco claiming they own a patent over a circle!

they (people) do debate that all the time! who did the hole first! ::) :D

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 05:29:48 AM
That's as silly as Spyderco claiming they own a patent over a circle!

they (people) do debate that all the time! who did the hole first! ::) :D

Spyderco doesn't own that circle.  The caveman that invented the wheel owns the patent and his great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandkids are still making millions bajillions of $$$ in royalties as we speak. :D  I predict that caveman's descendants will sue Spyderco over the use of the circle and Spyderco will eventually have to make knives with square thumb holes.

LM123, I don't think Gerber went too far because the Crucial doesn't really look like a Skeletool at all.

OK, Gerber improved the carabiner design by making it foldable on the Crucial.  Skeletool can't do that.  :P
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 05:41:21 AM
I know this will come as no suprise to most of you but a Chinese one.
(

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 05:53:55 AM

Too late:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,12088.0.html  :D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 06:00:22 AM

Too late:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,12088.0.html  :D

It wasn't my first Chinese multitool but it was my last one.
(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 10:29:27 AM
Leatherman doesn't own patents for the carabiner, one handed blade, pocket clip and "crescent" shaped handles so any company can make a tool with those features.  However, a company can't make a tool 100% identical to the Skeletool and give it a similar name like "Skele-tool" or "Skelli-Tool" because THAT would be blatantly copying them.

I understand what you are saying, but an object is more than the sum of its parts. When pictures of the Crucial were first posted, the mass reaction from everyone was, "Hey, that looks just like a Skeletool!"

They were not reacting to the individual features and figuring out how they compared to the Skeletool. They were reacting to the Crucial's striking visual resemblance to LM's patented ornamental design of the Skeletool.

The Skeletool possesses a very distinctive and highly stylized look. Gerber copied many aspects of that design  for the Crucial. If you look at the first thread about the Crucial, the first few pages are nothing but people saying that it looks like a Skeletool! That's pretty strong evidence that Gerber stole the look of the Skeletool, no?  ;)

Incidentally, it would make little sense for LM to sue at this point since they claim much more in damages if they wait a while.

Of course, I may be completely wrong since I am not an expert in patent law, but I guess everyone knows that already...   :D

[

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 10:51:32 AM
When pictures of the Crucial were first posted, the mass reaction from everyone was, "Hey, that looks just like a Skeletool!"

As would be the reaction when companies other than LM came up with plier-based MTs after the PST... ::)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: August 09, 2009, 11:05:52 AM
Is the Crucial a 1:1 copy of the Skeletool?  No, it's not.  Plier head is different, carabiner is different, blade is different, handles are different and the screwdrivers are different.  You can't argue with that, they simply are.  If I was to put any part of either tool in front of you you could tell me which multi it came from.

What you can say is that, as an overall design, the Crucial is designed to fill exactly the same market niche as the Skeletool.  Lets take cars as an example and let me ask you this: was the second company to produce a station wagon sued by the first?  I suspect not, and yet both cars would fill exactly the same design criteria as each other.

Would Gerber have come out with the Crucial if the Skeletool didn't exist?  Probably not, but I really don't think it matters.  Give the consumers some credit, they can see the difference and will pick according to their needs and budget.  If you don't like the thing then don't buy one.  That is afterall what this thread is all about.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 09, 2009, 11:25:29 AM
I would never say never,if it looks ok I would try any multitool whoever makes it.

that said sadly most  multitools come with locking blades so I have to consider that when I'm deciding EDC tools,for camping trips and forest walks anything goes and that would include a Gerber crucial,come on it's not that bad and much better than no tool at'll oh did I mention it's priced fairly too  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 11:33:11 AM

Ben, I honestly think you are completely wrong. Buck did indeed introduce a minimalist concept with the X-Tract. But, it's based around a knife blade, the Skeletool is based around a pair of pliers with a pocket clip and a carabiner for a bunch of different carry options. The X-Tract is a sheath carry tool really. It's not meant to replace your EDC folder etc. Gerber blatantly copied the Skeletool with the carabiner, one handed blade, and pocket clip...even the handles have a Skeletool appearance.

Gerber wasn't the first company to manufacture replaceable wire cutters on pliers either. I remember seeing them on high grade fishing pliers way before Gerber came out with them. I believe Van Staal was the first to have replaceable cutters.

I think your the one talking out of your bottom.

Oh I am am I?  Check out this then https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Navigator+753 look familiar?  BTW that was 2002 and I am pretty sure the Skeletool was released quite a bit after that.  Leatherman could be accused to have "stolen" the concept from them, but considering that your name is "Leatherman123" I would only expect you to jump in and defend them.

If you are going to try and be "smart" with me Nikko, at least pick the right sodding tool.  ::) 
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 11:36:48 AM
I understand what you mean. I understand that the companies borrow ideas, but Gerber went too far with the Skeletool. That's what I'm getting at!

Just in case you miss it Nikko, check out the link above  :pok: :pok:  Looks a bit like a Skeletool doesn't it.  Perhaps Buck stole LM's current idea, invented time travel and went back 7 years and made it.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 11:39:18 AM

I understand what you are saying, but an object is more than the sum of its parts. When pictures of the Crucial were first posted, the mass reaction from everyone was, "Hey, that looks just like a Skeletool!"

They were not reacting to the individual features and figuring out how they compared to the Skeletool. They were reacting to the Crucial's striking visual resemblance to LM's patented ornamental design of the Skeletool.

The Skeletool possesses a very distinctive and highly stylized look. Gerber copied many aspects of that design  for the Crucial. If you look at the first thread about the Crucial, the first few pages are nothing but people saying that it looks like a Skeletool! That's pretty strong evidence that Gerber stole the look of the Skeletool, no?  ;)

Incidentally, it would make little sense for LM to sue at this point since they claim much more in damages if they wait a while.

Of course, I may be completely wrong since I am not an expert in patent law, but I guess everyone knows that already...   :D

What they should have really said was "Hey, that looks like a BUCK NAVIGATOR!"  :D
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 02:10:11 PM
My 4x4 & Qickclip Al Mar MT's will probably not get used in anger  ::) :D.
But this weekend I have used my Schrade Toolbox vise grip MT quite a lot. Solid vise grips with wire cutters are the 'Duck's guts' when cutting & twisting wire.
The Toolbox is quite a rare MT , but I got my one cheap & it is solid as a 'brick smurft house'. I have no qualms using the Schrade in a twisting fashion , unlike my very used Crunch & Kershaw A100 which both have pliers/vise that do not align properly.It is poetry in motion locking a vise grip on 2 wire ends & twisting away.

I will not buy another Suspension  ::) , but would happily have a MP600 & MP400.
If it is odd, I am magnetically drawn too it  :D :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 03:49:34 PM
I don't blame Gerber for copying the idea, but it's based on the Skeletool. It even has a carabiner. That tells me that the Gerber guys are running out of ideas!...  Gerber blatantly copied the Skeletool with the carabiner, one handed blade, and pocket clip...even the handles have a Skeletool appearance.

Leatherman doesn't own patents for the carabiner, one handed blade, pocket clip and "crescent" shaped handles so any company can make a tool with those features.  However, a company can't make a tool 100% identical to the Skeletool and give it a similar name like "Skele-tool" or "Skelli-Tool" because THAT would be blatantly copying them.  

If Leatherman felt that the Crucial copied the Skeletool too closely, there would already be a lawsuit against Gerber but there isn't.  I would be surprised if Leatherman did decide to sue Gerber over the Crucial.  That's as silly as Spyderco claiming they own a patent over a circle!

(I can think of at least one bottom feeder who didn't let a little hyphen get in the way) ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 06:29:22 PM
The problem in todays tool market is the "envelope" has kinda been pushed as far as it could possibly go. I get a kick how everyone can jump on a company and say that that design is stolen. I for one cannot see a lot of resemblance in the two tools as much as the buck and the skele is, but that is the game that is played. trust me there are a ton of chinese companies that will knock off the knock offs soon enough. Not to mention if LM had a big problem.. well that is what god made lawyers for.

However I am allways up for a good Gerber china connection debate.
S

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 09, 2009, 06:40:39 PM

However I am allways up for a good Gerber china connection debate.
Can we put Sog into the affray  :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 06:46:52 PM
Well I did also go off on a rip of sog due to thier chisle grind on thier wicked cheap cutting blades, but I love my SOGS!
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 06:49:06 PM
 :D

I feel the same way. SOG's a knife company, why would they have chisel ground pen blades on their tools? IMO, LM leads the way in multitool knives, you would think SOG would have the best knives, but no...  :)
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #56 on: August 09, 2009, 06:56:42 PM
Oh and I actually dont think the carbide cutters were made better on hte  Gerbers(Not to jump into a good debate between you two) gerbers are far better than the LM ones. You have 3 sides on the Gerber one on the LM. So if LM is going to borrow from gerber thay could at least if not improve it, at least make it as good.
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #57 on: August 09, 2009, 07:15:04 PM
I have found that the carbide ones chip fairly easy, especially when cutting hard materials....

B

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:43 PM
This thread makes you appreciate the efforts of companies who do push the envelope even more, like CKRT, Spyderco's SpyderWrench, even SOG, etc.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they are taking big risks and really trying something new.  :salute:
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: August 09, 2009, 10:08:57 PM
This thread makes you appreciate the efforts of companies who do push the envelope even more, like CKRT, Spyderco's SpyderWrench, even SOG, etc.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they are taking big risks and really trying something new.  :salute:

+1 to that.  :tu:  It's great to see these guys turning out these completely different and wacky designs  :salute:
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD