Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher space pens

england Offline thesuper

Fisher space pens
on: August 22, 2009, 09:37:14 PM
Read in a thread that someone replaces the refils in his Parker pens with Fisher space pen ones, do these work ok, without modding or anything? If so i will be swopping mine, i have loads of parkers and always wanted a fisher, seems like a win win situation to me. Any of you guys can confirm this? Thanks
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Re: Fisher space pens
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:34 PM
i'm not sure  :think: just looking for my bullet pen to try this but I can't find it however if Ben(Benner) should like to PM me I'm sure I'll find a pen he'll like  :D :D :D

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:33:36 PM
I'l post a thread tomorrow for a free pen I know takes parker refills,and maybe fisher refills as well  :think: I have found three for free so far  :tu:

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:19 PM
Some (all?) Fisher refills have a little plastic adaptor in the clamshell that is needed to fit a Fisher refill in Parker Pens. So the mod is needed, but easy because it's included.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:42:57 PM
i'm not sure  :think: just looking for my bullet pen to try this but I can't find it however if Ben(Benner) should like to PM me I'm sure I'll find a pen he'll like  :D :D :D

OOOooo whatcha got?  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline thesuper

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:41:18 PM
Some (all?) Fisher refills have a little plastic adaptor in the clamshell that is needed to fit a Fisher refill in Parker Pens. So the mod is needed, but easy because it's included.
Aha! thanks for that :tu:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:58:59 AM
Anyone know if a Fisher refill will fit in a Zebra pen?
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 12:59:58 AM
Anyone know if a Fisher refill will fit in a Zebra pen?

Prime has done it.  Not sure how easy it was.
I'm back!!

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 02:21:29 AM
The Zebra 701 will accept a space pen refill and its easy to do.  I use the awl of my pioneer to put out the plastic spacer in the tip of the 701, and I cut one spiral off the spring.  Then just put the refill in and voila, a zebra space pen.  I might do a photo tutorial on this sometime next week as I do it to all of my zebra 701 pens.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 07:46:03 AM
The Zebra 701 will accept a space pen refill and its easy to do.  I use the awl of my pioneer to put out the plastic spacer in the tip of the 701, and I cut one spiral off the spring.  Then just put the refill in and voila, a zebra space pen.  I might do a photo tutorial on this sometime next week as I do it to all of my zebra 701 pens.
That's what I did to my Zebra 701. Just took the plastic washer out and the Fisher refill fits it fine. To the OP I think that the Fisher refill and the Parker refill are the same size so it should work. Another cool thing to do to your Zebra 701 is to take the metal clicky off of the Zebra F 402 and replace the plastic one on the F 701 making it an all metal pen.

the F 402 is the 3rd one from the right and the F 701 is the second from the right.
"

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 10:04:25 AM
The Zebra 701 will accept a space pen refill and its easy to do.  I use the awl of my pioneer to put out the plastic spacer in the tip of the 701, and I cut one spiral off the spring.  Then just put the refill in and voila, a zebra space pen.  I might do a photo tutorial on this sometime next week as I do it to all of my zebra 701 pens.
That's what I did to my Zebra 701. Just took the plastic washer out and the Fisher refill fits it fine. To the OP I think that the Fisher refill and the Parker refill are the same size so it should work. Another cool thing to do to your Zebra 701 is to take the metal clicky off of the Zebra F 402 and replace the plastic one on the F 701 making it an all metal pen.
the F 402 is the 3rd one from the right and the F 701 is the second from the right.

Prime...I have searched and search several office supply stores and have not found anything closely related to a Zebra pen... do they market in Australia under a different name?

[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 10:18:00 AM
Tinnie I don't know if their marketed under another name or not. I know that here their sold pretty much everywhere. From drug stores, to dollar stores, to office stores.
"

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 12:10:15 PM
Tinnie I don't know if their marketed under another name or not. I know that here their sold pretty much everywhere. From drug stores, to dollar stores, to office stores.

That sucks :(
[

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 03:19:03 PM
Welcome to my problem Tinnie.

Zebra pens are very popular (some say market leader) in the USA and their home market Japan. But they´re hard to find somewhere else.
UK has a distributor, but the pens are still rare to find there, the rest of Europe and Australia are blank on Zebras world map.

There is an Australian mail-order distributor I found:
http://www.craftonline.com.au/shopping/c-brands-zebra-pens.asp

For my European mates: Try www.cultpens.com located in the UK they sell Zebra brand too (and: SHARPIES!)

edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:03 AM

That sucks :(

Simple, just have a look at cult pens, figure out what you want and I'll play mule :D  :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline f00

• New User
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 02:57:15 AM
Note that the fisher space pen cartridge fits the zebra 701, but not the zebra 402.
The zebra 701 has a plastic insert in its tip which can be removed to accommodate the slightly larger diameter fisher cartridge.  I modified and re-used my plastic tip with a 1/8" drill bit to keep the cartridge from clicking when the pen is lifted and set down.  The zebra 402 on the other hand has an all metal trip sans insert.  The fisher cartridge cannot protrude far enough through the tip of the 402 to allow it to click.  I ruined the clicky mechanism on a 402 trying to force the cartridge to go through...  can't recommend trying that yourself.
My impression of the fisher fine cartridge vs. the stock zebra:
The zebra feels airier, scratcher on the paper.  The fisher reminds me of my grandfathers old cross pens.  It doesn't quite scratch the ink into the paper (as the zebra ink feels to me) as lays it down onto it.  Using a light touch, the zebra ink comes out darker, so you get more grey-black variation with the fisher space pen.  That said, the prospect of being able to write in extreme conditions appeals to me, so I'll probably leave it in for a while and see if I don't get used to it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:05:57 PM
So I was looking for a cheap alternative and more specifically a "better" refill for my bullet.  I looked around the interwebs to see what was compatible and read the Zebra G301 fitting with only a snip off the top. 

I went to office depot and found the G301 refills ( black only  :( ) 2pk for $4.09 after tax.  I snipped just a bit off the top and sure enough they work.  I wish they had blue as I prefer blue ink but glad I found these and they work. 

2nd pic show how I decided to leave my new refill a bit longer that the space refill.
3rd pic shows my cut refill ( left ) compared to the way it came ( right ).
Last pic shows G301 installed. 
IMG_9322.jpg
* IMG_9322.jpg (Filesize: 154.63 KB)
IMG_9323.jpg
* IMG_9323.jpg (Filesize: 215.42 KB)
IMG_9324.jpg
* IMG_9324.jpg (Filesize: 154.11 KB)
IMG_9325.jpg
* IMG_9325.jpg (Filesize: 144.17 KB)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:08:44 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 10:26:53 PM
You necro this thread just to say you unspaced your space pen?  :facepalm:

Actually, I don't mind the cartridges in the Zebra pens, and if I'm writing a bit in a notebook I prefer it or the Parker over the Fisher. But I always carry a Jotter with Fisher insert at work because when I need it to do the job for me it just does. I need to try the fine point inserts

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 12:11:51 AM
The compact size is what I like about the bullets.  Being a lefty the ink is the down side of the pen.  I also feel it oozed a bit more than I care for.  In the years I've written I've not needed anything more than a bic pen tbh.  It's a great story about the ink and all but here on earth I prefer gel to the fisher.  I also wanted those who felt the same to know they could still enjoy the form factor of the bullet with a IMO better insert.

I could have started a new thread which in retrospect I should have and may still do. 

I got my bullet for a $1 so there was no real investment.  I actually use my zebra 701 more that any other pen.     
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 11:41:23 PM
I've just ordered a clickie space pen.   I love my Bullets but think I'd like to carry a clickie poem for a while.   I've tried a number of other pens recently and been disappointed with all of them for one reason or another and I keep going back to the Bullet.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%