Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Crucial

joebw · 29 · 5431

Offline joebw

Gerber Crucial
on: September 05, 2009, 09:23:06 PM
Hi All,

Went to REI today to see what was new and came home with a Crucial with the black handle.  As noted by others, the two screwdrivers are a bit short.  I like the blade. The pliers/wirecutter seem OK for light duty work.  Carabiner/bottle opener seems fine.  Pocket clip is also OK.  Liner locks appear to need a bit of use to fully seat.  All in all, a nice addition to my collection.

Cheers - Joe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Gerber Crucial
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:00:50 AM
Ahh, you found a black one! I've only seen the green so far.  :)

Hmmmm. Speaking of liner locks, is the Crucial the first tool with liner locking screwdriver blades? :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 08:30:55 AM
i dont think so :D
090620091163.jpg
* 090620091163.jpg (Filesize: 88.79 KB)
A

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:13:20 PM
I really like the look of the black crucial.  :drool:  I must get one when it's available locally.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:09:34 PM
I want a Gerber multi.  Do not have one and this one looks great to me in GREEN.  :)  Let us know and will do the
same when we can buy them in Canada somewhere.

Sean

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:28:35 AM
I just got my crucial and this thing looks way to bulky for the thin pliers. the pliers feel to weak in my opinion.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 11:21:28 AM
I just got my crucial and this thing looks way to bulky for the thin pliers. the pliers feel to weak in my opinion.
I've been pleasantly surprised with the pliers on mine their thinness was great when I recently needed to adjust some LCD screens that had their M10 mountings inside a slim tube.  Turns out the Crucial was the only tool that was thin enough to get in there and it was plenty strong too  :tu:

I'd be interested to know if your wire cutters actually cut thought mine are rubbish  :(
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:31:26 PM
I'm hoping Canada Tire will get them in.  They have a few other models like the Flick, Radius, Suspension.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 11:28:52 PM
I spotted one at K-Mart here in SE-Georgia but I can't tell you how much it was, I forget  :-[

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 02:49:32 AM
For all Canadians: Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) now has the Crucial (green colour only) and the Curve available.  I was just at their store yesterday.  The Crucial is $39.50 and the Curve is $10.75.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 07:36:56 AM
For all Canadians: Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) now has the Crucial (green colour only) and the Curve available.  I was just at their store yesterday.  The Crucial is $39.50 and the Curve is $10.75.

good to hear but I can't find them in our local MEC.  Will keep an eye out.

sean

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 02:10:56 PM
I'm also going to wait for MEC to stock the black and silver Crucial before I get one.  I actually didn't plan on visiting MEC this weekend but I was at Lee Valley and my MEC is literally just down the street from them so I couldn't resist stopping by.  Didn't buy anything at MEC though... spent too much money at Lee Valley.  :D

I'll probably go back to MEC this weekend and pick up a few things... might go back to Lee Valley too.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 06:09:18 PM
sounds good I love Lee Valley as well.  ;)  I'm after the Green Crucial so I think it's the more common one.  I think I will phone MEC first and see if they just haven't put it on the online catalogue yet?

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39:55 PM
My local MEC and Lee Valley are within a 45 second walk from each other.... what a deadly combination.  MT.O needs a emoticon of a smiley face with moths flying out of his wallet.  :D

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 07:33:28 AM

I'd be interested to know if your wire cutters actually cut thought mine are rubbish  :(
I'll second that  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 06:16:32 PM
Sorry to bump this, but the Crucial is currently available for $20 at Home Depot, and i'm wondering if folks who've had one think the tool is worth shelling out $20 for.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 06:18:45 PM
Sorry to bump this, but the Crucial is currently available for $20 at Home Depot, and i'm wondering if folks who've had one think the tool is worth shelling out $20 for.
I know the answer to this but I want to heard from people who actually own one.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline Crocker

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 05:38:24 PM
Mine has worked beautifully so far, maybe a year old. I don't expect it to do the work of a dedicated pair of good quality pliers and other tools it stands in for, but it does the job it was made for admirably. Every multitool I've known had built in compromises in order to make it function as a unit. Good bang for the buck in my opinion.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 06:04:26 PM
Ok thanks, will pick One up later today

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 06:07:47 PM
The crusial is a ok light duty tool. Its worth $20 IMO.
Its a bit of a lump in the pocket though.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 02:01:28 AM
Got one today.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 02:02:37 AM
So... what do you think?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 02:27:11 AM
IMG_2829.JPG
* IMG_2829.JPG (Filesize: 180.03 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 03:34:05 AM
I think that sums it up pretty succinctly.  :D

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:03 PM
Home Depot has the black Crucial Essential marked down to $10. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:52 PM
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 02:14:46 AM
So... what do you think?

Definitely agree.  This is an inferior tool.

For anyone interested, I just reviewed that exact Crucial
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2022, 02:08:41 PM
I found a crucial next to the gideons in a motel I stayed at...

Without delving into the ethics too far, I figured the previous owner would want me to have it.

I gave the blade a quick sharpen, and have carried it for a few weeks...

Pros: Pretty easy to access knife (also a nice workplace friendly blade style), decent enough pliers for smaller grabby tasks, good pocket clip - I barely notice it in the pocket compared to a LM wave.

Cons: Screwdrivers a bit dinky...I was able to successfully use the + tip, but it wasn't great.  The karabiner is stupid.

I don't like karabiners at the best of times, but this one is particularly....self indulgent.

If I was to design this tool again, I'd put something like the "opener layer" from the vic where the drivers are - can opener, bottle opener, semi functional flat head, or something to that effect, and then put a more substantial + Drive in place of the karabiner...or even a small bit driver arm (similar to the Gerber Balance)

In addition to taking up a lot of real estate, I find the karabiner to be a "hot spot" when using the knife...

I want to like the tool, it's pretty user friendly and approachable...but the karabiner really upsets me - I'd be tempted to remove it if it wasn't also the bottle opener!

I'm glad I've had the chance to carry and use it a bit, but I reckon I won't be upset if I find an opportunity to send it on its way with someone else...

Maybe it'll end up left in another motel room...

us Offline cody6268

Reply #28 on: September 10, 2022, 01:43:20 AM
I found a crucial next to the gideons in a motel I stayed at...

I want to like the tool, it's pretty user friendly and approachable...but the karabiner really upsets me - I'd be tempted to remove it if it wasn't also the bottle opener!

Look for the "black" version, which I think was originally designed for law enforcement use. Replaces that silly carabiner with a strap cutter that I use heavily. In my use, it's a "better" Skeletool without having to deal with removable bits, and I have more tools on board.

I got mine for $25-ish (a friend of mine later got one at his Tractor Supply a few weeks later for $15) at my local Tractor Supply when they were clearing them out 5 years ago. Gerber is still making them, and honestly, I think the strap cutter should replace the carabiner on ALL Crucials.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%