Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ST 300 owners club

RaptorMan · 2309 · 164022

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: ST 300 owners club
Reply #690 on: September 17, 2016, 02:10:19 PM
As far as weight goes i think you are completely fine with the st300. Especially if you invest in a better carrying system. I have a metal skeleton sheath for mine and sometimes even forget it is on my belt because of how slim it is in comparison to the leatherman sheath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #691 on: September 17, 2016, 02:13:43 PM
Oh and the metal clip/sheath also will make it easy to clip even on the side of your bag or even clip it on the inside of your pocket.  Do be warned though that the lockup on your st will most likely not be as good as your surge.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #692 on: September 17, 2016, 04:37:26 PM
Do be warned though that the lockup on your st will most likely not be as good as your surge.

Hi gdoolittle.  Thanks for the advise but i am sorry I don't quite get it.  What do you mean by the the lock up?  Do you mean the inner tool would wobble or have some play?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #693 on: September 17, 2016, 04:47:26 PM
Do be warned though that the lockup on your st will most likely not be as good as your surge.

Hi gdoolittle.  Thanks for the advise but i am sorry I don't quite get it.  What do you mean by the the lock up?  Do you mean the inner tool would wobble or have some play?

I actually just went and checked my ST 300 and the saw and file do have a little back and forth play but the PE knife had less play and my SE blade had no play :tu: None of it was major mind you and I have used it plenty in the last 7 years ;)

I sheath carry the 300 and never notice it on my side but I do carry a lot of different things and don't notice them :D I never really have carried the Surge much though :think: I have the older style one but I never really felt the need to carry it much :shrug:

On the note of the Rebar, I have also carried it a lot and never felt that whatever I threw at it that it couldn't handle it :tu: I :like: the size of it better as well and it is even better to sheath and pocket carry :cheers:

Can't go wrong with the 300 or the Rebar IMO though as I :like: carrying them both :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #694 on: September 17, 2016, 04:53:42 PM
My 300 has a good bit of wiggle on all of the tools. Maybe it is a oddball

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #695 on: September 17, 2016, 04:54:06 PM
Or maybe I should send it in :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #696 on: September 17, 2016, 04:58:49 PM
None of the wiggle makes it unusable does it :think:

Until mentioned I never even noticed that mine had it :shrug:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #697 on: September 17, 2016, 05:12:39 PM

No i can still use it just fine. Honestly I just thought it was normal for the 300 to have some play. As you can see in the video its really not awful just enough to notice.. You can feel it more so than you can see it. The part that actually bothers me is the play while closed

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #698 on: September 17, 2016, 05:58:29 PM

No i can still use it just fine. Honestly I just thought it was normal for the 300 to have some play. As you can see in the video its really not awful just enough to notice.. You can feel it more so than you can see it. The part that actually bothers me is the play while closed

Only when closed?  How about when pliers is stretched? If it doesn't happen when the pliers is  skretch I think it is fine.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #699 on: September 17, 2016, 06:22:42 PM

Only when closed?  How about when pliers is stretched? If it doesn't happen when the pliers is  skretch I think it is fine.
Its not as bad when the pliers are stretched but when I am using a driver there is a lot of flex in the opposite handle No matter what position I use. Like I said it hasn't kept me from using it but its just there. I have been thinking that it is normal ever since I received it.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #700 on: September 17, 2016, 06:24:33 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #701 on: September 17, 2016, 07:11:24 PM
Seems normal to me :tu: I am sure you can eliminate some of it by tightening the pivots though :cheers: Come to think of it now that I mention it I did tighten the plier pivots on my 300 and it helped with a lot of the wiggle that I guess had formed after using the thing for so many years :D I used the loki wrenches and cut down on a lot of the play :tu:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:12:34 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #702 on: September 17, 2016, 07:12:05 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a great play for a grumpy Mr. 300 to take a nap Steve :D

:like:

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #703 on: September 17, 2016, 07:57:29 PM
May I ask how could I tighten the pivot?  I want to do it to the wingman though. The handle wiggle on my wingman and even when stretched.  Sorry if this is a dumb question. 
It's super tight and solid on the surge though.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #704 on: September 17, 2016, 08:12:18 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a great play for a grumpy Mr. 300 to take a nap Steve :D

Reading the MTO forum just like taking drugs. :drool:  OMG.  These pics makes me wanna get the ST NOW!  >:D
Well yeah, I needa calm down...  Actually I haven't decide St or rebar yet.  Does the rebar have this kind of play on the handle by the way?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #705 on: September 18, 2016, 12:29:20 AM
My ST300 does not have any wiggle, but I haven't been using it in the trades like Poncho has.  I guess any tool will loosen up a bit over time.  One of our members makes some neat little wrenches to fit various tools if you look in the for sale section. His name is Loki.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #706 on: September 18, 2016, 01:27:03 AM

Offline Paolo Enrico Pasco

Reply #707 on: September 18, 2016, 02:14:03 AM

My st300 doesnt have flex or play on the handles when closed. But the inner handle tools when open have some play, not too much though, only up and down(towards/away lock notch) no play side to side, its normal, based on the replies of our co st300 owners here that its same with theirs.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:19:47 AM by Paolo Enrico Pasco »

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #708 on: September 18, 2016, 11:09:00 AM
Thanks for all your advises and replies.  I eventually get a rebar instead of St.  I tried them both on my hand in a retail shop here but the st is just as bulky as the surge on my hand when sktetch though indeed a lot lighter.  And I don't know why it digs my ring finger badly as I put he finger behind the handle to open it up.  Maybe coz of the lock location... And the fact that I have really small hands.  The surge is fine on my hand but the St really dig my finger badly.  I tried a rebar and found it super compact light, tough and comfortable. Anyway,  thanks and you guys are really kind to answer all my questions.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #709 on: September 18, 2016, 02:02:08 PM
Congrats on getting the Rebar, it is a fine tool  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #710 on: September 19, 2016, 03:12:27 AM
Congrats on getting the Rebar, it is a fine tool  :tu:

Yes congrats on the Rebar as it is a very fine tool IMO :cheers:

We try our best (if we can) to answer everyone's questions and if you have anymore feel free to ask and we will try to answer if we can :salute: :cheers:

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #711 on: September 19, 2016, 08:08:21 PM
Right before we discussed about the tools wiggle on the ST300. I have got the rebar and I have been using it for two days.  I have been looking at the rebar for a whole night trying to find out the wiggle point.  Assuming the rebar share the same built of ST300, the reason for tool wiggle on the ST300 shall be the same. 

The wiggle is not caused by the screws but the lock.  There is a small round hole on the handle housing  the pivot point of the lock. But you can see that this little hole is not completely round,  it's slightly oval.  Looks like it is not a production QC problem as the oval is smooth.  It is supposed to be something by design.  And in the back of the handle there is a notch accommodating the bar of the lock.  You can also see that the notch is slightly larger than the bar in the lock by maybe 0.2mm. Then, when tools are engaged, and when you push the tool forward,  the notch in the tool will push the whole lock plate forward to the allowance in the handle notch or the end of the oval hole whichever stop the lock plate first.  I hope I do discribe correctly.  That means, this wiggle is by design allowed by LM.  So,  it is not LM's qc error in the wiggle issue but LM design to have so.  I don't really understand the reason to do that.  Cutting down the scrap rate maybe .. I don't know.  So,  they all wiggle,  as long as there are not vertical play,  then get over it. 

It is base on my observation to the rebar and I don't have other box style LM to compare.  Will you check your ST300 or Rebar and correct me if I am wrong.  Thanks. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #712 on: September 20, 2016, 07:37:23 PM
Right before we discussed about the tools wiggle on the ST300. I have got the rebar and I have been using it for two days.  I have been looking at the rebar for a whole night trying to find out the wiggle point.  Assuming the rebar share the same built of ST300, the reason for tool wiggle on the ST300 shall be the same. 

The wiggle is not caused by the screws but the lock.  There is a small round hole on the handle housing  the pivot point of the lock. But you can see that this little hole is not completely round,  it's slightly oval.  Looks like it is not a production QC problem as the oval is smooth.  It is supposed to be something by design.  And in the back of the handle there is a notch accommodating the bar of the lock.  You can also see that the notch is slightly larger than the bar in the lock by maybe 0.2mm. Then, when tools are engaged, and when you push the tool forward,  the notch in the tool will push the whole lock plate forward to the allowance in the handle notch or the end of the oval hole whichever stop the lock plate first.  I hope I do discribe correctly.  That means, this wiggle is by design allowed by LM.  So,  it is not LM's qc error in the wiggle issue but LM design to have so.  I don't really understand the reason to do that.  Cutting down the scrap rate maybe .. I don't know.  So,  they all wiggle,  as long as there are not vertical play,  then get over it. 

It is base on my observation to the rebar and I don't have other box style LM to compare.  Will you check your ST300 or Rebar and correct me if I am wrong.  Thanks.

Yes the hole for the lock tab on mine is oval as well and I think you are correct that it may be by design and would allow less tight tolerances on the many different tools that go into the Rebar thus less waste :cheers: I think that the 300 (not with me) has a similar oval hole if I am not mistaken and I am sure it is the same way for the same reason :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #713 on: October 12, 2016, 03:28:35 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #714 on: October 12, 2016, 03:32:00 PM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #715 on: October 12, 2016, 03:47:59 PM
Nice pic Steve.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #716 on: October 12, 2016, 04:26:48 PM
Thanks guys  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #717 on: October 21, 2016, 10:54:05 PM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #718 on: October 21, 2016, 11:57:58 PM

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #719 on: October 22, 2016, 12:09:15 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%