Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Having a "Blast" of a time!!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Having a "Blast" of a time!!!
on: September 21, 2006, 10:43:08 PM
Well, I went out yesterday looking for a new Leatherman, and I ended up buying the Blast.  I like that old-school look, and actually went out for the Kick, but saw the Blast next to it, and liked the tool selection better.  Just about the same as my Wave, except for the one handed opening blades.  I bought it and I have to be honest with ya.  Being used to the weight of the Wave and the SwissTool, the Blast feels somewhat like a toy.  I mean, I opened it and played around with the tools and it seems sturdy enough, but the light feel has me wondering.  Any reviews on this bad boy?  How does it hold up to some abuse?  Is it dependable?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Having a "Blast" of a time!!!
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 12:21:43 AM
No idea about the Blast but here's a review I did of the Kick in which I also thought the light weight was a little off putting:
http://multitool.org/content/view/25/1/

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:27:41 AM
I have a Blast and carried it for a little while. I never really used it under any rough conditions. But it held up good enough though. It has the same size pliers as the charge and wave models. All the other tools worked just as good as the wave tools. The plier handles are pretty comfortable when putting lots of pressure on them.  The only reason I stating using my wave and charge again is the one hand opening blades.
"

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 04:18:17 AM
justin2net wanted to discuss the Blast and Wave, I figured it was better in some other thread than Calvins giveaway.

The plastic on the blast unnerves me, I don't have a lot of knowledge with the Kick/fuse/Blast range, so any particular benefits or foibles of them are beyond my experience.

I don't have any affection for Scissors or the small bit drive, and it lacks an Awl - all things to put me off the Blast

however it is the largest in LMs traditional style, "regular" sized Multitools - so as far as Bang goes, it's the most Bang you'll get without doing something drastic - Like SuperSizing with the Core or One-handering with the Wave

for the Wave
Similar tool selection, plus an extra blade, and the large bit drive. - The large adapter is not much use to unless you intend to get the bit set too, otherwise you are just as well off with the Blasts dedicated phillips.

You still don't get a reamer, but you do get one handed blades. if you carry another folder or don't use Sharps alot, then this is unnecessary expense, however if you intend to use it as a knife frequently, then this is a massive Plus.

Knowing absolutely nothing about you or your intentions with this tool, I am going to recommend the Blast, I'm just in that kind of mood at the moment.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 06:41:36 AM
I have a Kick and while it does feel light it never failed me. I doubt it's as heavy duty as a Supertool but it's certainly no slouch. I never worried about breaking it.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:28:34 AM
I EDC'ed the Blast for a very long time and still carry it every once in a while. I had no qualms about using it for tasks that I use my Core for now. It's strong enough for typical multi-tool jobs and handles the occasional abuse in stride.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:06:27 PM
I picked up a BO Blast with nylon sheath and a bit set with a leather sheath on eBay for 40 USD +5 bucks shipping! I thought that was a pretty good deal.

I haven't played with it much but what's up with the BO. You handle it for just a little while and your hands look like you forgot to use toilet paper! :ahhh

I thought I saw a thread on here about BO tools, does anyone have a link to that thread?

Calvin
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 01:10:20 PM
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:46:20 PM
This one the one you were on about?
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2909.0.html

That's the one Roadie. Thanks again. What would I do without you?

Calvin
[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 01:42:18 AM
I used to be skeptical about the plastic inserts, but I can say from experience that the Kick is a tough tool. I used it at my previous job (electrical construction) for quite a while. I used the clip, so I always had it on me- a sheath would get in the way of a tool belt... Anyway, I used and abused it, and it still works perfectly, and the plastic hasn't really shown any wear at all. :) I read a while ago about someone putting one of those tools (kick/fuse/blast) in a tumbler with some rocks for quite a while, and there wasn't any damage done- just some little marks here and there. About the lock, I can't coment too much since the kick didn't have them, but the tools themselves (on the Kick) were good and tough. I know their light tools, but I really think that's just because of the simplicity of the design and the use of Zytel.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:44:21 AM
Plastic in the tool does not really bother me. Can everyone say Glock!!!

That is a piece of plastic fantastic!!!!
S

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 02:39:02 AM
This is my "beater" Kick.

At first I wasn't sure about the plastic inserts either, but they have held up really well. As a test I put my Kick in a large coffee can full of screws and bolts and let my step son shake the can for a couple of minutes and the Zytel inserts showed very little wear. By the way hawkchucker the 3M stair tape have held up great over time and worked really good, great idea. :multi:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:46:31 AM by prime77 »
"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 02:42:57 AM
Hey ya did my tape mod On it. I have all mine now with that (At least the inside opening blades.). I put it on the opposite side of the cutting blade So I can find it without looking. and it gives better grip.
S

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 02:43:54 AM

At first I wasn't sure about the plastic inserts either, but they have held up really well. As a test I put my Kick in a large coffee can full of screws and bolts and let my step son shake the can for a couple of minutes and the Zytel inserts showed very little wear. By the way hawkchucker the 3M stair tape held kelp up great over time and worked really good, great idea. :multi:
Ahhh... I think your's was the story I remembered (and retold in a bit different fashion :D ).

Never did the tape thing, but I might sometime... It sounds like a worthwhile addition for a real user. :)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 02:52:14 AM
I have used the tape also to roughen up pipe to solder.
S

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 02:56:12 AM
Hey ya did my tape mod On it. I have all mine now with that (At least the inside opening blades.). I put it on the opposite side of the cutting blade So I can find it without looking. and it gives better grip.
I was a good Idea on your part. It's cool stuff, really adds good grip to things. I was going to put some on my Fenix P2D head to make it easier to change it to turbo mode with one hand.
"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 03:00:36 AM
As my wife tells me "Sometimes even a moron gets lucky"
S

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 06:50:32 PM
Thought I'd chime in "just because". I don't have a Blast/kick/whatever as they're just too small. But I thought I'd throw in my opinion of Zytel inserts. Don't worry about them. I have a couple of Zytel handled knives (SOG Flash II and Trident) and can't break the stuff. While torture testing the Flash II which has an all Zytel handle with no liners I threw the thing about 15 feet in the air, bouncing it off a steel I beam and let it land on a cement floor. Zero damage. At all. I've also dropped it several times and have yet to even make a mark in the handle. Good Zytel is wickedly tough stuff and I wouldn't be worried about it's presence in a smaller multi.

Also what's this 3M tape mod? I'm intrigued. I don't think I've ever seen the stuff before.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 04:43:15 PM
... I don't have a Blast/kick/whatever as they're just too small. But I thought I'd throw in my opinion of Zytel inserts. Don't worry about them.....

Will the plastic inside the Leatherman tool handles melt or soften if I use a heat gun to heat up the screws holding the individual blades? 

I heat the screws on the older tools to loosen the thread locker goop the factory uses.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 05:46:16 AM
hmmmmm, I'd say probably. I mean a heat gun gets pretty damn hot and isn't exactly able to be focused on just the screws, so I don't know if id want to try it. On the other hand, I do know that Zytel is used in automotive applications such as intake manifolds so you may be okay so long as you are careful. Thing about Zytel is that it actually covers a range of compositions depending on manufacturer needs, so I don't know if the temp. resistance would be the same.

au Offline dingosrun

• bring it on
Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 12:55:48 AM
i bought one of these for my offsider at work as he is leaving and its very light but seems to have all the gear he will need on it nice tool

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 11:01:54 PM
I'm pondering if some happy chappy could do up a comparison of the Blast & the Wave - one being the Top of Leatherman Standard Range, the other being the bottom of its premium range...

How do they fare vs the other?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 12:28:46 AM
I have both and think they both have there strengths and also like them both :cheers: :D

The Blast is a tool I don't care as much to use firstly because it wouldn't cost as much to replace  ::)
The tool compliment on each are about the same :) mostly it boils down to preference
The Wave does have a few nicer things that I would love to have on the Blast like the diamond file
why they don't put that file on every LM I do not know :think: IMO is best file on any MT that I have :)
I also would like the removable pocket clip on the Blast it is very handy when I don't want to sheath carry :cheers:
The Wave does have outside access to tools with one handed openers the Blast does not, both reg knive blades suit me on both of them but the Wave also has the serratted blade which I don't use as much but others have to have ;)
They both sport the small bit driver but the Blast has a dedicated phillips driver which some if not more ppl prefer, the Wave has the big bit driver which is very handy sometimes especially with the bit kit :) Both have a saw and they are equal IMO, same with the scissors, large straight screwdriver, can/bottle opener (they are the same exactly) I guess as far as tools go though the only major difference is the extra knife blade.  The Wave in hand seems better built and doesn't have the Zytel in the handles.  Sorry for the choppy comparison I ramble on in real life incoherently as well :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 12:34:16 AM
I'm pondering if some happy chappy could do up a comparison of the Blast & the Wave - one being the Top of Leatherman Standard Range, the other being the bottom of its premium range...

The significant differences are the one-hand opening blades and diamond file on the Wave. That's pretty much it for me. Both tools are excellent tools, so those are the only real questions to ask yourself really.

Edit: And the serrated blade - thanks Poncho ;)
I used to come here a lot.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 12:36:52 AM
I always though some people preferred the Blast because it was much lighter, but the Wave actually only weighs about 23g more than the Blast.

Is there much of a size difference?
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 01:00:30 AM

Is there much of a size difference?

Negligible. The Wave is slightly wider at the top due to the protruding parts of the blades so that they can be one hand opened. They are the same depth and length.

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 03:47:56 AM

The significant differences are the one-hand opening blades and diamond file on the Wave. That's pretty much it for me. Both tools are excellent tools, so those are the only real questions to ask yourself really.

Edit: And the serrated blade - thanks Poncho ;)

And the pocket clip option as Poncho mentioned. Very important to some folks. (like me) :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 04:28:26 AM
I went back and forth between the two for a long time, but eventually gave up on the Blast.  It was just too light and flimsy feeling.  The handles had WAY too much flex when closed for my taste.  I did use it one more time after retiring it, and the lock broke while using the can opener.  I put the Wave away in favor of the Swisstool, but have recently gone back to the Wave for nostalgic reasons, and rediscovered why it was my first mutlitool love.  Not the most ergonomic of tools, but a cool looking workhorse nontheless.
I digress.
The Blast and the Wave are very similar tools size wise, but as some have pointed out, there are some tool differences.  These have already been mentioned, so I'll move past them.  One thing that always frustrated me about the Wave is that, in order to have the one handed opening blades, the tops of the blades stick out pretty far, and literally touch when using the pliers.  This causes a bad "Pinch" of the thumb or finger if not careful.  I have slipped of bolts and had the handles cause blood blisters.  These hurt.  There is no such problem with the Blast, as there is ample room between the handles when using the pliers.  The flip side of this is, the part of the plier handles that your hand actually grips is much more comfotable on the Wave then on the Blast.  Zytel or not, those handles still dig slightly into your fingers, where as the Wave's folded steel is round and smooth as a baby's bottom.  Probably the most comfotable plier handle I've ever encountered on a multitool.  The long drivers on the Blast make it real comfortable to use, although honestly, have never had a problem using the stubby bit drivers on the Wave.  The difference is, whenever I've used the drivers on the blast and need to fold the handles shut for better leverage, the handles flex and warp all to heck, negating the extra leverage.  The Wave doesn't have the same problem.  I've torqued and torqued on screws using a closed handled grip on the Wave, and it hung tough.  The Blast is a bit more sheeple friendly, since you have to open the handles to get to the blade.  People don't see it as a knife, but a tool that has a knife in it, as opposed to the Wave, which can at times turn heads.  However, I use my tools hard at work, and the flimsy feel of the Blast is a deal breaker for me.  The Wave FEELS like a tool, heavy duty and tough.  The Blast feels like a toy at times, and that is not very reassuring.  It's interesting, but here in Florida we are preparing for a possible hurricane next week, and as I was thinking what I'd need if TSHTF, I thought about the Wave, not the Swisstool, even though it is a heavier duty tool then the Wave.  I guess sometimes you have to go with what you know, and regardless of how many times I've tried to move away from the Wave, I keep coming back to it.
Hope this helped a little.     

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 06:16:04 AM
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Very well put Navajero I personally EDC my Blast more because I would rather damage it vs. my Wave which is kinda silly since it's a tool and should be used :P but I have just gotten use to having it with me @ work :-\ I need to start using my Wave more and taking it to work instead I guess ::) :D

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:46 AM
So you are back to carrying the Wave, Navajero?
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD