Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Improvised tools in movies/TV shows?

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Improvised tools in movies/TV shows?
on: October 20, 2009, 02:54:30 AM
I was watching Hard Boiled on DVD when I saw this MacGyver-style moment.  In this scene, the two good guy cops are stuck in a secret room behind a hospital morgue.  Unable to open the big steel door, one of the cops decides to unscrew a metal pipe to fill it with some gun powder and then blow it up by shooting at it.  He doesn't own a multi-tool so he improvises:

Got no pliers?  No problem!  Handcuffs work just as well.

MacGyver would be proud...

Works on bullets too!

The other cop in that scene has a SAK-style tool but it's hard to make out what it is.  It's only on screen for a split second and you barely see any notable details.

Can anyone else think of some other movies where someone improvises with some clever make-shift tools?
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Improvised tools in movies/TV shows?
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:57:16 PM
I didn't know where to share my excitement, but I've just seen for a second a Leatherman, I think, in one show... whose name I'm not sure about - Railroad Alaska or something.... I think the tool was Letherman Fuse, but I'm not sure at all. I just saw it for a fraction of a second when I turned on the TV. Leatherman Rule... :D

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:34:01 PM
One scene in No Country for Old Men showed Josh Brolin's character opening a ventilation grill to stash a bag of cash. He used a ?buck knife 110? to unscrew the grill.  A day later Javier Bardem's character unscrewed the same grill with some spare change.

Nothing innovative, but just stuck with me and drove home the point that you can always improvise. There was a movie where someone pulled shrapnel (glass?) from their flesh and used it to kill the bad guy in mid-fight. Pretty cool.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:38:28 PM
One scene in No Country for Old Men showed Josh Brolin's character opening a ventilation grill to stash a bag of cash. He used a ?buck knife 110? to unscrew the grill.  A day later Javier Bardem's character unscrewed the same grill with some spare change.

Nothing innovative, but just stuck with me and drove home the point that you can always improvise. There was a movie where someone pulled shrapnel (glass?) from their flesh and used it to kill the bad guy in mid-fight. Pretty cool.
I hope the bad guy didn't get HIV

:facepalm:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 03:48:34 PM
Let us not forget THIS venerable classic ;)
https://youtu.be/v01M4XCaXY0
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 05:26:03 PM
I always liked how that one says "Dramatization. Do Not Attempt" as if one could go out in the street out front of their houses and be kidnapped by an international criminal syndicate and held hostage in an abandoned warehouse rigged to explode.  :D

I carry a turkey baster everywhere I go just in case...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%