Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Faulty liner lock on Surge

cadjak · 35 · 4031

Offline cadjak

Faulty liner lock on Surge
on: October 29, 2009, 01:49:36 AM
I just got a surge off Ebay. It looks 100% brand new, but it was described as used. When I was checking it out, I noticed that the liner lock on the serrated blade was not coming forward at all. (Not even a little). This was not a case of it not coming out enough to engage with the blade. It just didn't move. Any ideas about what might be causing this? Fixes?
  Thanks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Faulty liner lock on Surge
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:01:52 AM
Interesting.  Is it short enough to slide under the blade?  The only thought I have is that it might have been disassembled then reassembled "off" a slight bit so there's no room at the base of the blade for it to come out.

Otherwise, it would have to be a problem with the springiness of the lock bar itself, which means either something is stuck in it or it has been disassembled and bent.  I can't imagine any way that it could be bent with the tool intact.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:04:03 AM
It would definitely be covered under warranty despite it's actual cause.  

I doubt I would try to fix it.

However, the liner lock is essentially a spring, either it's stuck or it's not actually performing as a spring.  If it's loose then you might be able to fix it by removing the blade and pulling the liner lock out until it resists you when you push against it.  Then reinstall the blade and check and see if it works right.
:)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 02:26:34 AM
Any chance of a pic?

I think Def's suggestion that it may be caught under the blade sounds likely. I noticed the other day when I swapped the Supertool 300 pliers onto a Surge, that you have to line the blades up quite carefully before screwing it all together. I did get something like you're describing before I figured out the best way to do it.

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 03:31:34 AM
Is it like the blade is holding back the liner when the blade is open?  Is the blade in contact at all with the liner?

That is odd, I don't think I've heard of a liner that didn't move.
[

Offline cadjak

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 03:57:10 AM

All of these photos can be clicked on to enlarge. When you get to the Photobucket image they also can be clicked on for an even closer image.

Again, thanks for the help
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:59:22 AM by cadjak »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:00:24 AM
My guess is that the blade itself wasn't finished properly, and the liner is stuck under the tiny fraction of extra metal in the blade pivot area. 

Whatever the case may be, Leatherman customer service would definately repair or replace it. 
[

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:08:02 AM
From the pics it actually looks to me like the lock was machined a bit too long. In theory you could try and grind/sand it down but I'd say send it in to LM and get urself a nice shiny new one  :multi:

Offline cadjak

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 04:39:23 AM
When I look at the 2nd picture from the top, I can see machine marks on the upper engagement surface of the blade. None of the other blades on the tool have those marks, so it isn't there to aid in retaining the lock (my first thought). My guess now is that the blade didn't get entirely machined at that point.

I sent the pix to LM and I'd be curious what they say. It may just be something that slipped by QC.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 05:02:02 AM
Looks like a QC problem to me also,wasn't polished down enough,almost like the blade was upside down when it was polished.

Let us know what LM is going to do with it. :salute:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:49:32 PM
When I look at the 2nd picture from the top, I can see machine marks on the upper engagement surface of the blade. None of the other blades on the tool have those marks, so it isn't there to aid in retaining the lock (my first thought). My guess now is that the blade didn't get entirely machined at that point.

I sent the pix to LM and I'd be curious what they say. It may just be something that slipped by QC.

Ah yeah I didn't catch that the first time I looked. For sure it's def. a blade that slipped passed QC.

Offline cadjak

Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 04:21:44 PM
If DaveK hadn't asked for pix I would never have noticed it either.  

I wonder if LM will just send me the blade, or will it be a warranty repair, where I have to send the whole tool to them?

Has anyone had to send anything in for repair? What was the turnaround time?

From another thread here, it looks as if LM repairs are less than a breeze.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,13878.0.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:28:26 PM by cadjak »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:45:34 PM
LM is AWESOME about warranty repairs.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 06:31:04 PM
Hey cadjak. Welcome to the forum mate. :cheers:

LM's warranty department is legendary around here. It's mostly me ranting about bad service, but that's because I'm half way around the globe away from LM and the local reps are mostly into wholesale... (their warranty dept consists of a single guy who doubles as sales rep, manager, PR guy, etc. ...)

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 06:56:44 PM
Yeah, although I've personally never sent anything in, everything I've ever heard indicates that LM themselves are amazing with warranty claims. So long as you aren't dealing with some local rep in the middle of nowhere Greece....

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 07:06:16 PM
... the local reps ...

... where "local" means the LM importers/distributors for Greece; not just a tool shop down-town... :rant:

Ok... rant off (again). :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 07:53:15 PM
... the local reps ...

... where "local" means the LM importers/distributors for Greece; not just a tool shop down-town... :rant:

Ok... rant off (again). :)

I know what you mean. Some of the European importers do the repairs on behalf of Leatherman (for example our good friend Kwakster), and it seems that it can be a bit of a hit and miss affair.

From the posts I read in here, problems with repairs done by LM themselves in Portland (like the one on the link you quoted) are very rare and they get praise 9 times out of 10. As this is a clear machining / finishing error, I wouldn't be surprised if they simply replace the tool for you cadjak. Either way - they will sort it out for you I'm sure.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline cadjak

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 04:42:49 AM
Ebay seller has rebated a token amount to help with my shipping costs to LM. The tool goes out tomorrow. I'll report back on the results and the time frame for the warranty work. Thanks all.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 04:49:20 AM
If I remember correctly my turnaround time was maybe 20-25 days with the LM repair service.  That's including shipping across the country twice, so they are pretty quick. 

Sometimes they are backed up and it takes longer, and sometimes people get their tool back in a week.  It all depends on how busy they are at the time.
[

Offline cadjak

Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 06:32:14 AM
My Surge came back today. I mailed it to LM on October 30th. Came back to me on November 7th. Pretty fast turnaround if you ask me!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 06:10:42 PM
That's pretty good.  :tu:
I'm back!!

Offline cadjak

Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 06:18:37 PM
The most impressive part is that I live on the island of Tristan da Cunha.
a remote volcanic group of islands in the south Atlantic Ocean. It is the most remote inhabited archipelago in the world, lying 2,816 kilometres (1,750 mi) from the nearest land, South Africa, and 3,360 kilometres (2,090 mi) from South America.
;) ;) :D :D :cheers:

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 11:56:57 AM
G'day all.

Obviously I've read the above but want to share a few issues regarding a new surge I bought that arrived today and also ask for advise.

I bought myself a second surge and it has two issues regarding liner locks.

First off the plain edge blade does not lock at all. Comparing it to my BO surge it appears the blade is actually to long and overlaps the liner lock. See here

Second matter is the liner lock on the blade exchanger. No over lap this time but rather the liner lock has lost all spring retention. Does not spring out at all to lock open. Absolutely nothing touching.

I'd appreciate any advise and opinions. Cheers

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 12:01:42 PM
G'day all.

Obviously I've read the above but want to share a few issues regarding a new surge I bought that arrived today and also ask for advise.

I bought myself a second surge and it has two issues regarding liner locks.

First off the plain edge blade does not lock at all. Comparing it to my BO surge it appears the blade is actually to long and overlaps the liner lock. See here

(Image removed from quote.)

Second matter is the liner lock on the blade exchanger. No over lap this time but rather the liner lock has lost all spring retention. Does not spring out at all to lock open. Absolutely nothing touching.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd appreciate any advise and opinions. Cheers
I have similar problems with mine (not quite as bad though). You really need to forcefully open the main blade for the lock to engage properly (forget OHO it).
I think the Surge you get is an unfinished product.

See also here: Leatherman quality control
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 12:07:36 PM
It looks like the blade hasn't had the angled cut done to accept the liner lock. Send it back.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 12:11:19 PM
Easy enough to fix, if you're prepared to take them apart.  Take the blade off and file a bit off the tang to get the lock tab to engage.  Take the blade exchanger off and bend the locking tab until it's in the right place.

I'd send it back though, especially if you've only just got it.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 12:21:54 PM
Yeah I figured as much. I have thought about fixing it myself and I have no issues with my ability but it's about principle.

Z you are absolutely right. Looking at my other surge the blade is machines perfectly straight and his one isn't.

Just bugs me too though. When you spend your hard earned and this is what you get. Hmmm. I expect more from leatherman. Will have to send it back to America then. Thanks for the help guys.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 10:20:22 PM
The good news is Leatherman will right it for you no questions asked.  If you need some help getting it to and from them I volunteer my services.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 08:12:08 AM

The good news is Leatherman will right it for you no questions asked.  If you need some help getting it to and from them I volunteer my services.

Thanks legend. Appreciate the offer. Will get in contact with the supplier and might even just be able to swap it without having to wait. Fingers crossed.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 10:45:42 AM

Thanks legend. Appreciate the offer. Will get in contact with the supplier and might even just be able to swap it without having to wait. Fingers crossed.

:salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD