Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman MUT?

SoDak · 292 · 81142

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Leatherman MUT?
Reply #90 on: January 22, 2010, 07:59:30 AM
Some more hammer pics by the way:

Raukodur's suggestion of beveling the tip of the hammer and adding a V-groove - thereby making it into what would seem to be a damn useful prybar tool - didn't get much traction when we mentioned it to the Leatherman folks today. :-\  It's too good of an idea in my opinion to just let go though.

Some additional :pok:-ing will definitely be in order. :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #91 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:02 PM
Any more info on sheath colors?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #92 on: January 22, 2010, 03:07:58 PM
questiong, whats with the hole in plier head? :think:

The hole is to allow a place to screw in the cleaning rod when the tool is closed so it acts like a T handle.

Def

A

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #93 on: January 22, 2010, 03:48:58 PM
Replaceable Bronze Carbon Scraper was intended to scrape carbon build-up from the gas piston and rod assembly, not the bore. (I'm not fluent with the care and maintenence of these rifles, but the carbon build-up on the sample rifle we were shown was more than what a bronze brush alone could remove) :-\ The scraper itself was made of a bronze alloy specifically so that it would not be able to damage the piston mechanism.

You would be surprised how well a brass bore brush, Break Free and a Soldier's persistence works at removing carbon buildup. :D   On an M4/AR weapon the toughest places to remove carbon is where the bore meets the barrel, due to it's star shape.  So once again the brass bore brush, Break Free and elbow grease works the best.  The gas tube on an M4/AR type weapon usually isn't a main focus during a field cleaning.  Just a quick wipe down.  On an AK type of weapon it is though.

I like the tool and will eventually end up getting one.  I was just pointing out that the weapon itself isn't a portable cleaning device.  It will still require that other pieces of cleaning kit be available like cleaning rods, Break Free, brushes, etc. 

I would also like to see the blade be 154CM, instead of the 440HC.
[

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: January 22, 2010, 04:03:35 PM
I like it , deffinatley on my list , and it will make a great gift for a gun knutt buddy ! Good spot !

Chris

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: January 22, 2010, 04:12:22 PM
The first Tacticool multi ! I like the replacable bronze scraper , good for many diverse applications . I like the blade shape , the hammer pommel is worth the price of admission . Looks like it would be a LuLu of an impact weapon .

FWIW , I think Leatherman just got me back as a customer ( unless the F/F is truly bad ).

Chris

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #96 on: January 22, 2010, 04:32:49 PM
You would be surprised how well a brass bore brush, Break Free and a Soldier's persistence works at removing carbon buildup. :D   On an M4/AR weapon the toughest places to remove carbon is where the bore meets the barrel, due to it's star shape.  So once again the brass bore brush, Break Free and elbow grease works the best.  The gas tube on an M4/AR type weapon usually isn't a main focus during a field cleaning.  Just a quick wipe down.  On an AK type of weapon it is though.

I like the tool and will eventually end up getting one.  I was just pointing out that the weapon itself isn't a portable cleaning device.  It will still require that other pieces of cleaning kit be available like cleaning rods, Break Free, brushes, etc. 

I was kind of thinking that the scraper might be the right size to go between the "teeth" of the locking lug at the barrel, making getting that star-shaped section clean a little easier.  Scrape out the thick gunk, then go for the brass brush to finish up.

It would be nice if the MOLLE pouch this rides in could also carry the rest of the cleaning kit.  If I remember my old surplus cleaning rod correctly, each section wouldn't be much longer than the MUT, so it could ride around behind it in the pouch.
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #97 on: January 22, 2010, 05:21:26 PM
I have wanted a full size Skeletool ever since I got one. That BAD BOY looks great.
I wonder if LM will do a CUT  :P(Civilian Utility Tool) I would HAVE to get that one if it shared most of the MUT's cool features  :gimme: :D

Don't let a little ol' name scare you away.  Just because it says Military doesn't mean you can't own it.  If you want it, buy it! :D

Not scared  :twak: :D I am not likely too ever own a gun so I do not see the point in owning a gun maintenance MT.
That said there is an awful lot too like about the MUT & if the price was right I would find it impossible to say no  :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:37 PM
The first Tacticool multi ! I like the replacable bronze scraper , good for many diverse applications . I like the blade shape , the hammer pommel is worth the price of admission . Looks like it would be a LuLu of an impact weapon .

FWIW , I think Leatherman just got me back as a customer ( unless the F/F is truly bad ).

Chris

F/F is truly good on the samples we handled. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #99 on: January 22, 2010, 06:50:43 PM
I was kind of thinking that the scraper might be the right size to go between the "teeth" of the locking lug at the barrel, making getting that star-shaped section clean a little easier.  Scrape out the thick gunk, then go for the brass brush to finish up.

It would be nice if the MOLLE pouch this rides in could also carry the rest of the cleaning kit.  If I remember my old surplus cleaning rod correctly, each section wouldn't be much longer than the MUT, so it could ride around behind it in the pouch.

Yeah, the scraper could help get in there but the grove behind the star shaped section is the pain.  I bought some star shaped patches and soak them in Break Free.  Then set the soaked star shaped patch in there, spin it around a couple times and then leave it for a while.  It helps to get the Break Free in that area to loosen up the carbon.  It's still a pain though.

I really like your idea about MOLLE sheath having pockets to carry the rest of the cleaning kit.  It might be a bit large though.
[

Offline umberto00

Reply #100 on: January 22, 2010, 08:42:27 PM
I really want this tool just so I can mod it! The bronze scraper looks like it can easily be replaced by an awl. The pushpin/rod, since it's removeable, can be replaced with a Ferro rod. Cut a v into the hammer and make a prybar. All that, coupled with the saw, makes this a great outdoor multi!

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #101 on: January 22, 2010, 08:44:31 PM
I like the tool but don't own a M4/AR15 so I don't know exactly what I'll use it for unless I can fit a .40 caliber bore brush. Maybe the style will migrate to a search and rescue model. Maybe with a serrated blade and a small marlin spike/EOD tool for knots. An awl would be nice too. It could replace my Supertool 300. Unfortunately for EDC I need a tool with under blades under 3 inches. Having said that I'm likely to buy this one.

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #102 on: January 22, 2010, 08:56:54 PM
I have wanted a full size Skeletool ever since I got one. That BAD BOY looks great.
I wonder if LM will do a CUT  :P(Civilian Utility Tool) I would HAVE to get that one if it shared most of the MUT's cool features  :gimme: :D

Don't let a little ol' name scare you away.  Just because it says Military doesn't mean you can't own it.  If you want it, buy it! :D

Not scared  :twak: :D I am not likely too ever own a gun so I do not see the point in owning a gun maintenance MT.
That said there is an awful lot too like about the MUT & if the price was right I would find it impossible to say no  :D

I know what you mean.  Sometimes I buy things I know I'll never use just because it was cool and the price was right. :D

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #103 on: January 22, 2010, 09:04:01 PM
I like the tool but don't own a M4/AR15 so I don't know exactly what I'll use it for unless I can fit a .40 caliber bore brush. Maybe the style will migrate to a search and rescue model. Maybe with a serrated blade and a small marlin spike/EOD tool for knots. An awl would be nice too. It could replace my Supertool 300. Unfortunately for EDC I need a tool with under blades under 3 inches. Having said that I'm likely to buy this one.

Sometimes you have to buy an MT just because it looks cool.  :D   :tu:   I couldn't come up with enough reasons to justify all my MT's and SAK's.   :D
[

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10:52 PM
I like the Mut and would like to have one. That said i shoot a M4 all the time and i don' think the Mut would be very useful for cleaning it. The AR style rifle can be cleaned with a bootlace, rag, light oil, spent round and a unfired round. I use a GI cleaning kit with extras that is total over kill. The two things i find useful on the Mut is the carbon scraper and punch. They can be replaced a unfired round to push the take down pins and a empty case with the mouth flattened that makes a good carbon scraper.

1jump2many, I use a cut q-tip on a hemostat to clean behind the locking lug.

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #105 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:36 PM
I like the Mut and would like to have one. That said i shoot a M4 all the time and i don' think the Mut would be very useful for cleaning it. The AR style rifle can be cleaned with a bootlace, rag, light oil, spent round and a unfired round. I use a GI cleaning kit with extras that is total over kill. The two things i find useful on the Mut is the carbon scraper and punch. They can be replaced a unfired round to push the take down pins and a empty case with the mouth flattened that makes a good carbon scraper.

1jump2many, I use a cut q-tip on a hemostat to clean behind the locking lug.

(Image removed from quote.)

Mike,  I think the two best innovations to clean an AR has been the Bore Snake and these TAPCO Cleaning Stars.  I wish I had them back in the day.  I use them now though.  You have a excellent cleaning kit.  Check out the TAPCO Cleaning Stars, http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=CLN092020PACK, they work pretty good.  I use one soaked with Break Free to soak the area first.  Let it sit and then use a bore brush, then come back with another soaked cleaning star then a couple dry ones until I don't see anymore carbon.  I'm a bit anal about that area because back in the day it was always the spot whomever was inspecting our weapons went to to give you a gig.  Old habits are hard to break.   :D
[

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: January 23, 2010, 01:42:45 AM
You are sure are right about Bore Snakes. If there ever was a lazy mans tool. I have seen the chamber stars but i have not tried them yet. They do look like the way to go. It seams like if i am not cleaning a firearm i am loading up ammo for one.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #107 on: January 23, 2010, 03:51:51 AM
So I went by their booth and talked to some folks the day after the secret invite meeting.  Some guys  :twak: get to go to secret meetings and others don't.  I liked the look of the tool, but it does have some gerber flavor to it.   First of all bottle openers are very important.  You can not have a good tool without one.  :cheers:  the gerber thing aside, I liked the size of the blades and especially the really long bits.  You don't usually need them, but when you do it is great to have them.  Some of the parts like the brash scraper are designed to be replaceable, but I don't know how long they will last before they are totally trashed.  I think maybe a good soft steel might have been a better choice than brass.   

The hammer thing is cool.  I use the side of my wave jaws all the time as hammer.  I don't like how far it sticks out though even though its obviously necessary to work with the zip tie cutter.

all in all, I think the price kicks my butt although I though the retail was $160, but you know bob and grant are so much smarter than the rest of us.  I think it will be really hard to hit the right market for it, but I hope it lasts long enough to get some good field testing. 

BTW.  It does look a skeletool on steriods.

-

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #108 on: January 23, 2010, 04:11:04 AM
oh my dear lord.... I WANT ONE!!!!!!!
'

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #109 on: January 23, 2010, 04:29:00 AM
.....Some of the parts like the brash scraper are designed to be replaceable, but I don't know how long they will last before they are totally trashed. I think maybe a good soft steel might have been a better choice than brass......  

I wondered about the lifespan of the scraper too, but it all depends on which "bronze alloy" they used. If it is an aluminum-bronze alloy like Ampco 18 or a beryllium-copper alloy then I don't think premature wear will be a big problem.

The very fact that they label it "replaceable" though suggests that it is a wear item. :-\

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #110 on: January 23, 2010, 04:35:24 AM
How long are the blades?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: January 23, 2010, 04:53:04 AM
How long are the blades?

A bit over 3" long

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #112 on: January 23, 2010, 05:56:50 AM
Why the 440HC instead of 154CM on the Blade?
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #113 on: January 23, 2010, 06:23:30 AM

Leatherman specifically addressed this point by saying that 440 was selected because it was easier  to be user-sharpened in the field.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: January 23, 2010, 06:30:34 AM
I use a flattened brass shell casing and they last a long time i don't think wear will be a problem.

Mike

Mike

Offline Magnus

Reply #115 on: January 23, 2010, 09:06:01 AM
I don't know about working around firearms, but one reason they may have chosen brass is because it is non-sparking, so it won't set anything off.  It is used as the grinding media in black powder ball mills for that very reason.
[

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:49 AM
The scraper is to scrape carbon build up from the bolt. You want the medal on the scraper to be softer than the bolt so you wont damage it. Hope i explained it good.

Mike

Mike

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #117 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:35 AM

Leatherman specifically addressed this point by saying that 440 was selected because it was easier  to be user-sharpened in the field.

Thats exactly what I was going to say and just shows Leatherman has its finger on the pulse .While 154CM is a great blade steel most soldeirs wouldnt give a toss and may even think its crap metal because they can't get an edge on it with a pocket stone .Plus the blades will get abused like you wouldn't believe and 154 would just be an overkill.

Dunc

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: January 23, 2010, 11:50:01 AM
you can bet you will get more premium steels on civilian issues of the tool, since leatherman know we will pay more for a fancy name on the knife, regardless of whether we actually need it or not. As it is, in the military they seem to have the sense, or require the sense, to judge what is suitable for when they are out in the field.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: January 23, 2010, 12:07:11 PM
Just for the heck of it here is a link for the USGI 1969 M16 A1 Comic Book Manual.  http://143evac.bizhosting.com/m16comic.html

Mike

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD