Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show us your Spyderco

donvito · 4781 · 241241

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Show us your Spyderco
Reply #870 on: June 26, 2015, 06:15:14 PM
New Spyderco design:

C193TIP Squarehead Folder 

UPC: 716104010349
MSRP: $129.95
OVERALL: 3.30in 84mm
BLADE: 1.30in 33mm
EDGE: 1.25in 32mm
WEIGHT: 1.1oz 31g
GRIND: Flat-Chisel
ORIGIN: Taiwan

The Squarehead is the brainchild of Darriel Caston, a full-time electrical and electronic engineer who has been designing and making custom knives part time since 1992. Long before that, he developed a deep fascination with pens, small folding knives, gadgets, and all things mechanical. That obsession—along with his skills in Computer-Aided Design (CAD), 3D software, and CNC programming and machining—have had a strong influence on his knife designs and enable him to translate the unique concepts in his head into sharp steel.

The heart of the Squarehead is its unusual square-shaped sheepfoot blade, which is machined from CPM® S30V® powder metallurgy stainless steel. Its single-sided, flat chisel grind offers an excellent balance of edge geometry and strength and allows the PlainEdge™ cutting edge to nest safely against the handle scale when the knife is closed. Spyderco’s Trademark Round Hole™ in the blade proudly identifies the knife’s brand identity and allows easy one- or two-handed opening.

Equally unique is the Squarehead’s single-sided handle. Machined from a solid piece of titanium, its one-piece construction includes an integral back strap that also serves as a blade stop and a guard for the blade’s edge when the knife is closed. To lock the blade in the open position, the handle also includes a precisely machined integral LinerLock-style mechanism with a ball bearing detent.

Incredibly small and lightweight, the Squarehead is one of the few Spyderco knives that does not include a clip. Instead, it features a wide slot in the butt end of the handle that allows easy attachment of a chain, fob, or lanyard. Assembled with screw-together construction to ensure the precise alignment of all parts, the blade, handle, and other key components of the Squarehead feature an attractive matte stonewash finish.

From Spyderco's newsletter

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #871 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:49 AM
My latest, a PM2 courtesy of Captain Spaulding.  I had one and let it go, which I regretted. :(  Today though I'm all :nanadance:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #872 on: June 30, 2015, 01:15:00 AM
Excellent knife JD.

us Offline David

Reply #873 on: June 30, 2015, 08:49:37 AM
My latest, a PM2 courtesy of Captain Spaulding.  I had one and let it go, which I regretted. :(  Today though I'm all :nanadance:

Glad to see you have one again. Lots of folks really like them.   8)     :tu:     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #874 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
This does not replace my PM2 as my favourite knife.
Its a speSmurfpillst hard use cutting tool, not an all rounder like the PM2.

Congrats on your acquisition.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #875 on: June 30, 2015, 04:07:25 PM
This does not replace my PM2 as my favourite knife.
Its a speSmurfpillst hard use cutting tool, not an all rounder like the PM2.

Congrats on your acquisition.

The Gayle Bradley is a beautiful knife.  I had one of those for quite a while as well.  :tu:  I do agree though, the PM2 is a better all-around blade.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #876 on: July 01, 2015, 03:21:01 AM
Just reprofiled the edge on it so it's been with me the last few days.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #877 on: July 01, 2015, 03:27:36 AM
Looks good Harley.  :tu:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #878 on: July 02, 2015, 12:09:58 AM

Thanks Lobby. It is scary sharp and spent a lot of time with me in Afghanistan so has some sentimental value. Honestly though it will be mostly replaced with a NIB Cruwear model I recently scored for a song.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #879 on: July 02, 2015, 01:06:44 AM

Thanks Lobby. It is scary sharp and spent a lot of time with me in Afghanistan so has some sentimental value. Honestly though it will be mostly replaced with a NIB Cruwear model I recently scored for a song.

They gave it to stop you singing?  :think:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #880 on: July 05, 2015, 01:50:59 AM

They gave it to stop you singing?  :think:

Could be but the end result is still pretty cool.

us Offline David

Reply #881 on: July 05, 2015, 06:50:10 AM
Couple sweet Millies there Harley. Didnt know you were a singer.   :D   My Cruwear Millie was stolen out of my locker at work. The good news is that I have a spare. But I have not broke it out yet. Maybe tommorrow?    :think:      :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:14:01 AM by David »
Hold Fast

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #882 on: July 05, 2015, 07:30:50 AM
Let us know how you find it compared to s30v.
I got offered one locally for the equivalent of $300 but I'm not sure it offers anything better than my BFOK or the Bradley.
204P Millie on the way later this year too.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #883 on: July 06, 2015, 05:41:06 AM
Let us know how you find it compared to s30v.
I got offered one locally for the equivalent of $300 but I'm not sure it offers anything better than my BFOK or the Bradley.
204P Millie on the way later this year too.

I have a 204P Para 2 and they are different animals. Cruwear is tough, it will take a beating and not chip or break but it is not a huge edge retention steel like the 204P. It holds a working edge for a while but not in the same class as 204P.

I am a Millie fanatic but would never pay that much for a Cruwear. I just got mine for $150 NIB so there are reasonable people out there.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:42:34 AM by HarleyXJGuy »

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #884 on: July 06, 2015, 05:30:12 PM
What if .... at the end of the month... I treat myself to a new Spydie ... I'll have a reason to ... whatever the outcome is...  So how about a new Spydie... of course, depending on how much spare cash I have at the end of the month... what do you think... :think: No, don't tell me what you think, I know what you think.. lol

hr Offline styx

Reply #885 on: July 06, 2015, 07:54:23 PM
Do it!
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #886 on: July 06, 2015, 08:03:25 PM
What if .... at the end of the month... I treat myself to a new Spydie ... I'll have a reason to ... whatever the outcome is...  So how about a new Spydie... of course, depending on how much spare cash I have at the end of the month... what do you think... :think: No, don't tell me what you think, I know what you think.. lol

Yeah you k,ow what we think, but two.

What will you be using it for and what are the knife laws where you live? Are you left handed? Pocket or bag carry?

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #887 on: July 06, 2015, 08:17:42 PM
No... real serious laws and limitations as far as I know, lol. I'll be using it for ..... fun. Nothing special really. I'm right handed. Basically, it would be another thing I want and don't need, soo it's all a matter of how much $ I'll have at the end and it'll be not much anyway :facepalm:

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #888 on: July 06, 2015, 09:44:30 PM
You have a Chinese Spyderco so go with one of the other factories now.
The perfect EDC tool with years of evolution to perfection from Seki City Japan, the Delica full flat ground in any color of your choice.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #889 on: July 06, 2015, 09:51:18 PM
Added a Dragonfly 2 Salt to my collection...

Really neat and I can sweat as much as I want without worrying about rust :D

No... real serious laws and limitations as far as I know, lol. I'll be using it for ..... fun. Nothing special really. I'm right handed. Basically, it would be another thing I want and don't need, soo it's all a matter of how much $ I'll have at the end and it'll be not much anyway :facepalm:
I can only recommend the Dragonfly 2. Its a great size, I mean its small, that is what is great...

Its just big enough to be a comfortable grip, yet its small and light in the pocket...
salt_01.jpg
* salt_01.jpg (Filesize: 95.05 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #890 on: July 08, 2015, 06:23:54 AM

I have to concur with shark and E. Any of the Seki models would make an excellent choice. The Dragonfly 2 specifically is excellent, so light it disappears in your pocket and a nice thin grind that cuts like a dream.

Of course if you want something on the larger side I would be remiss to not suggest the Military or Para 2.

hr Offline styx

Reply #891 on: July 08, 2015, 09:02:19 AM
I have to agree with these 3 on the Dragonfly 2. I've recently had a chance to handle some Seki models and the Dragonfly, with the Endura, really shined. The Delica was simply too small for my hand (some weird 3.25 finger grip that I can't stand)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #892 on: July 08, 2015, 03:07:32 PM
Finally added the back spacer to the Manic 2 XL JA sold me a million years ago.

Sent from my Sega Dreamcast.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #893 on: July 08, 2015, 07:47:40 PM
That looks amazing! I was thinking of adding a back spacer to my black, black PM2.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #894 on: July 08, 2015, 10:21:14 PM
Hand bench grider profiled  :D
WP_20150708_009.jpg
* WP_20150708_009.jpg (Filesize: 366.29 KB)

us Offline David

Reply #895 on: July 09, 2015, 06:21:15 AM
OOOOh my! I hope you not the one who did that to a C38 Jess Horn Lightweight.
Hold Fast

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #896 on: July 09, 2015, 07:26:25 AM

I am, it was so destroyed when I found it, it was the only way. Looked like it had been through a sword fight :facepalm: Too bad, because i bet it must've been terrific when it was new, though it was a ce, I like PE.

I did my best not to heat it up with an ice water bath and a dry after every pass. This was years ago now. It's quite sharp! Though poor geometry means it's a box opener

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #897 on: July 09, 2015, 07:28:00 AM

I am, it was so destroyed when I found it, it was the only way. Looked like it had been through a sword fight :facepalm: Too bad, because i bet it must've been terrific when it was new, though it was a ce, I like PE.

I did my best not to heat it up with an ice water bath and a dry after every pass. This was years ago now. It's quite sharp! Though poor geometry means it's a box opener

At least its still getting used for something.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #898 on: July 12, 2015, 05:37:33 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #899 on: July 12, 2015, 06:37:00 PM
thanks for the advice, guys, and sorry for replying a bit late. due to some family stuff though, the fun part and the knife buying may be cancelled for a while

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%