Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Battle of the inexpensive: Kobalt tool vs Gerber Suspension

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
These two tools are some of the most affordable tools around. The Suspension for $30 and the Kobalt for $10 at Lowes. I spent the day outside and indoors looking for chances to use them.

First up was the saw, I cut the same size branch with both saws and the Kobalt tool came out the clear winner here. It's took much less strokes to cut through the branch with less times to clean out the blade. The Suspension saw blade really doesn't cut very well. I did open the Kobalt tool in the streched position while cutting.

Both the straight blade and the serrated blades on both tools cut well. I like the shape of the Suspensions straight blade. Both blades on the Suspension can be opened with one hand using a thumb stud.

I went around tightening and loosing screws for drawers and light switch covers and found that I like the Kobalt drivers a litter better. They fit most screws better. I don't like the Suspension flat phillips head at all so the Kobalt phillips is better for me.

Both tools use spring back pliers. Having used a LM tool for most of my life this was something new to me and the more I used them the more I liked them. I found that the spring back feature made things a little easier after some use. I really like how both tools incorperate the spring into the plier don't use a spring at the base of the plier like other made in China tools do. 

Things that one tool have that the other doesn't: The Suspensions tools open from the outside and LOCK into place using a nicely designed lock release system. The scissors work well enough. The Kobalt has a file that also works well enough. One of the implements that I thought was a small screwdriver is sharpened on one side and works OK as a small scraper. I like the rubber inserts on the Kobalt tools handles.

All in all I have to say I like the Kobalt tool better than the Gerber Suspension. For 1/3rd of the price of the Suspension I think you get a more useful tool. But thats just my opinion. Plus what can you get for $10 now a days.

* 100B8401 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 30.62 KB)

* 100B8442 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 25.4 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Battle of the inexpensive: Kobalt tool vs Gerber Suspension
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:48:36 AM

* 100B8462 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 27.86 KB)

* 100B8502 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 30.43 KB)
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 03:52:16 AM
Nice shootout!

I have been wondering how that Kobalt tool was and now it looks pretty good.  Other than the non locking implements and the inside tools it seems like it outclasses the Suspension on most things.

Of course, being the tool junkie that I am, I'll probably end up getting both anyways....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:06:30 AM
hey Def, we need more posts like this one since I can't afford to buy most of the smurf you guys talk about!  :cheers:
Yabba dabba doo!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 04:12:46 AM
Me either!  ;D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:34:49 AM
These two tools are some of the most affordable tools around. The Suspension for $30 and the Kobalt for $10 at Lowes....All in all I have to say I like the Kobalt tool better than the Gerber Suspension. For 1/3rd of the price of the Suspension I think you get a more useful tool. But thats just my opinion. Plus what can you get for $10 now a days.

Thanks for the pics and comparison, prime77.

I'll probably pick up a Kobalt multitool/lockback utility knife combo pack for 15 bucks on my next Lowes run.

Congrats to Lowes for making available two very solid multitool values at its stores all over the country.

I do agree that the Kobalt may be the best multitool value to be had anywhere. 

However, for my typical uses around the house and yard, I have come to really like my Gerber Suspension.

The Suspension has rekindled my interst in multitools as practical tools for everyday use.

Over the years, I gradually came to greatly dislike using my Leatherman Tool.  So much so that I never used it around the house anymore, reserving it only for hiking and camping.  Its horrible plier ergonomics and slow, balky access to tools relegated it to backup and emergency use.

The Suspension has convinced me of the utility and greater convenience of having outside-opening, locking tools and one-hand-opening blades on multis that will see Every Day Use, if not Every Day Carry.

Suppose I need to cut something while working out in the yard.  With one hand, I can pull out my Suspension, open a blade, make the cut, close the blade, and return the Suspension to its sheath.  Elapsed time: 30 seconds or less.

To do the same thing with my Leatherman Tool, I pull it out of its sheath, then spread the handles apart, then pivot out the main blade, then pivot back in the other tools that came out clumped with the main blade.  (While pivoting those other tools back in, I have to avoid cutting myself on the awl which I keep very sharp and which always comes out clumped with the main blade.)  Then close the handles, then make the cut, then open the handles to pivot in the knife, then close the handles, then return the Tool to its sheath.  Elapsed time: not certain, but much slower than using the Suspension.

For multitools destined for infrequent use, (carried or stored away for backup or emergency use), inside-opening, non-locking tools are fine.  Even lousey plier ergonomics are tolerable, if not desirable, in backup multis.

N

Offline 17Chap

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:06:26 PM
Isn't Kobalt the house brand for Lowes?  If so, does it have their lifetime warranty?

17Chap

Offline 17Chap

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:13:35 PM
Here's the answer to my own question!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=Promos/kobalt_brand.html

Hyperlink wont work for me.

Chap

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 04:52:35 AM
Thanks for the shootout Prime! Nice array of pictures too.

I don't have a Kobalt tool, but I do have the Suspension. I suspect I would like it better if the blades were longer, like those pictured on your Kobalt. 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 07:53:45 AM
Very nice comparison!

I've been evaluating some of the more inexpensive tools for purchase and use by my friends and family, your shootout helps a lot.

I like the head-to-head idea, I've been working on some reviews in this format that should be posted soon.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 01:11:46 AM
Guys the best news on this is to wait a while on buying it. Every month or so they go on sale in the store for the meager price of $9.99.  Just call every couple weeks and they do have them.
S

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 02:58:19 AM
Cool write-up. Thanks for posting!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00