Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.

Chako · 260 · 121907

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gerber MP 600 D.E.T Fake.
Reply #180 on: April 26, 2015, 12:32:25 AM
Sorry to hear that Daz.  I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

No worries mate, I didn't buy it, they're asking $40 just thought I'd add it to the thread! :D

Phew!
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #181 on: May 22, 2015, 08:53:27 PM
Cheap if you buy them straight from China:

http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/Multi-Function-Stretching-Pliers-Screwdriver-Steel-Tools-Set-p-938187.html[/url]

nl Offline Complete multitool

• New User
Reply #182 on: May 24, 2015, 09:47:18 PM
Hello guys, really new to this forum and to multitools.

I really want to buy a gerber multitool since i have had multiple occasions where i didn't have my toolbox with me because i wasn't working and i needed some tools.

Now, i found this seller on a website in my country(similar to ebay) and he is selling this thing for 25$ secondhand.
The title says the following : 215 GERBER tool DET
Here are some pictures.
I don't know if this is an obvious fake like the one in OP's post, since i am really new with these kind of tools.

Thanks in advance

Edited, I emailed the seller asking whether or not if its a real gerber, and if he has a receipt or whatever to prove it. waiting for a response now.
Gerber tool.JPG
* Gerber tool.JPG (Filesize: 71.98 KB)
Gerber tool 2.JPG
* Gerber tool 2.JPG (Filesize: 54.45 KB)
gerber 3.JPG
* gerber 3.JPG (Filesize: 34.34 KB)
gerber 4.JPG
* gerber 4.JPG (Filesize: 41.85 KB)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:01:46 PM by Complete multitool »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #183 on: May 24, 2015, 10:56:35 PM
Hello guys, really new to this forum and to multitools.

I really want to buy a gerber multitool since i have had multiple occasions where i didn't have my toolbox with me because i wasn't working and i needed some tools.

Now, i found this seller on a website in my country(similar to ebay) and he is selling this thing for 25$ secondhand.
The title says the following : 215 GERBER tool DET
Here are some pictures.
I don't know if this is an obvious fake like the one in OP's post, since i am really new with these kind of tools.

Thanks in advance

Edited, I emailed the seller asking whether or not if its a real gerber, and if he has a receipt or whatever to prove it. waiting for a response now.

Hello and welcome.  :cheers:  Judging from those pictures I would say it is a fake.  :td:

nl Offline Complete multitool

• New User
Reply #184 on: May 24, 2015, 11:49:28 PM
Thanks!
For the price i kind off new it was too good to be true.. i flagged it for the website to take a look at it.
Dont know if its bad going off topic here, but does anyone know what kind of multitools have that slide mechanism?
I was thinking about either buying the gerber 600, or a  leatherman, not sure which though

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #185 on: May 25, 2015, 12:04:58 AM
Thanks!
For the price i kind off new it was too good to be true.. i flagged it for the website to take a look at it.
Dont know if its bad going off topic here, but does anyone know what kind of multitools have that slide mechanism?
I was thinking about either buying the gerber 600, or a  leatherman, not sure which though

We don't mind going off topic here but you will probably get more replies by starting a new thread.
There is only one Leatherman with the slide mechanism, the OHT.
I have both the OHT and MP600. I would chose between them depending on what you want to do.

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #186 on: June 02, 2015, 05:00:51 PM
Sad to say, some of these made it to troops (not sure if they made it into combat). As far as I've heard, there have been no accidents. We had these issued to us, along with the real DETs. The main two complaints (on the fake) were:

-The blasting cap crimper doesn't work. It will compress the blasting cap, sure, but more times than is ever ideal, it will end with a *click*. That's the copper blasting cap being damaged. The blasting caps need to be squeezed shut at waist level (ass level, more precisely) so that if it goes off, it doesn't damage your eyes or other goodies. This leaves even less confidence in the fake, due to the occurrence of damaging the cap.

-The C4 spike doesn't work either. It's too skinny. The punch (usually called a powder punch) makes a deep hole for the blasting cap to go into (after the safety fuse is crimped inside the cap). If it's too skinny, the hole will be too small in diameter. Yeah, C4 is soft and you can just open the hole to be bigger, but it shouldn't be necessary.

The real DET doesn't have these issues. So upon finding out the tool issued to use didn't work, most went back to the old M2 cap crimper for EOD chores and a Leatherman for daily chores.

From what I've seen, the DETs sold in the PX were real and only a few of the issued ones were fake. How many? I don't know. I saw at least three. Mine is around somewhere.
This is gonna hurt...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #187 on: June 03, 2015, 09:33:35 PM
How the heck would a batch of fake Gerbers get in the system?!!  Someone on the fiddle? :shrug:

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #188 on: June 03, 2015, 10:19:03 PM
How the heck would a batch of fake Gerbers get in the system?!!  Someone on the fiddle? :shrug:

I've heard of some unsavory soldiers keeping equipment and then turning in broken, modified, or fake versions of that equipment. I've personally seen soldiers return in the civilian version of an item because they got mixed up at some point and the soldier didn't know the difference. Maybe a few of these "returns" got issued out as a real Gerber. I really don't think the government took delivery of fake Gerbers from a reputable source.
This is gonna hurt...

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #189 on: August 13, 2015, 09:49:48 AM
Saw this item in a local online store.  Was tempted at first due to the novelty of it (I have a desk job -- quite far from EOD) and the low price.  Good thing I checked this page...heck, good think this page was "stickied" up for all to see.  Yeah, the item being sold was a fake, based on page 1 of this thread.

Good thing I didn't bite.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #190 on: August 13, 2015, 01:09:25 PM
Dan gets all the credit here but we're glad to have been some help. :)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #191 on: August 14, 2015, 06:59:58 AM
Not to throw things away from the MP600, but is there also a fake BG multitool?  Not too versed in the BG line so I can't say the model name, but it's the one that comes with a screwdriver bit set and it's a butterfly folder in black oxide. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:04:18 AM by Zephon »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #192 on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:45 AM
Don't know of any BG multitool fakes, but it should be noted that all of the BG multitools are rebranded versions of other Gerber tools, with a bit added to the price tag. ;)  Have a look at the Suspension and the Strata for the cheaper options.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #193 on: August 18, 2015, 02:21:29 AM
Found what I was looking for!  I guess it's not really a Suspension or a BG but something branded as such.  It's being sold as a Gerber in local online stores here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8etRnPnjv8

00 Offline symphonyincminor

Reply #194 on: September 04, 2015, 02:20:54 PM
Found a rare and coveted (::)) fake stainless EOD on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Multi-Purpose-Combination-Stretching-Plier-Tools-Equipment-with-nylon-Bag-/361380190370?hash=item5423f018a2

I've only seem the black fakes show up. Might be good for a collector (I'm no advocate for straight-up knockoffs).

Over the past year, I was somehow able to get a black EOD version of the old non-locking original Multi-Pliers in my collection (it was branded under Carolina Knfe & Tool, with a current Gerber logo on the side). Never seen one pop up before, and it struck me as such a weird thing to copy and manufacture once I got it in my hands. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #195 on: September 04, 2015, 03:46:26 PM
Found a rare and coveted (::)) fake stainless EOD on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Multi-Purpose-Combination-Stretching-Plier-Tools-Equipment-with-nylon-Bag-/361380190370?hash=item5423f018a2

I've only seem the black fakes show up. Might be good for a collector (I'm no advocate for straight-up knockoffs).

Seen it, and bid on it (but I guess I will now have more competition  ;) ) These turn up on fleabay every now and then.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #196 on: September 09, 2015, 03:15:54 PM
Quote from: gregozedobe
Seen it, and bid on it (but I guess I will now have more competition  ;) ) These turn up on fleabay every now and then.

Doh! Wouldn't have posted it if I knew you had a bead on it. I doubt it's go for much, so it should be in your collection shortly.... :)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #197 on: September 10, 2015, 03:28:14 AM
Quote from: gregozedobe

Doh! Wouldn't have posted it if I knew you had a bead on it. I doubt it's go for much, so it should be in your collection shortly.... :)

I'm not so sure, bidder c***c(65) is doing weird things (two highish bids in 3 days, both retracted soon after making them).  I guess I'll find out what's what when the auction ends .... ???
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #198 on: September 10, 2015, 07:52:08 PM
g***o ( 926)

Hopes that's you!!

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #199 on: September 10, 2015, 08:37:01 PM
g***o ( 926)

Hopes that's you!!

Sure is  :D 

Now I just have to persuade the seller to change the listing so it will accept an Oz address so I can pay for it ???

Reply #200 on: September 11, 2015, 03:01:52 PM
Good score!

If you can't convince him, send me a PM and I can be a proxy ship address (I'm in the US).

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #201 on: September 11, 2015, 03:23:03 PM
Good score!

If you can't convince him, send me a PM and I can be a proxy ship address (I'm in the US).

Thank you for the kind offer, but I managed to get there via a most convoluted method ( I had to pretend to buy something else of the same value that was available to Oz buyers).  As long as the correct tool gets here I guess all's well that ends well  ;)

Reply #202 on: September 11, 2015, 09:21:26 PM
Thank you for the kind offer, but I managed to get there via a most convoluted method ( I had to pretend to buy something else of the same value that was available to Oz buyers).  As long as the correct tool gets here I guess all's well that ends well  ;)

Very cool - post a pic or 2 when it shows up!

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #203 on: September 12, 2015, 02:22:03 AM
Very cool - post a pic or 2 when it shows up!
Sorry, I don't do pics (technologically challenged)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #204 on: October 05, 2015, 02:41:22 PM
This specimen appears to be fake (not my video).  The U.S.A. looks painted on the handle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8YL0ixe7O0
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:44:00 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline anon

Reply #205 on: October 12, 2015, 09:24:23 PM
I just ordered one of these I hope its legit.  :(

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #206 on: March 27, 2016, 07:13:06 PM
I came across a fake DET on a street market in France yesterday, 10€.
USA was laser engraved, and there was some stamped text on the opposite side (back, if you consider GERBER as front side). (can't remember what though, and i couldn't take pictures without buying it)
It looked 'quite' well made for the 10€ asked for, but some things didn't "look right" compared to my day-to-day MP400 BO.
First of all the pouch, cheap.
Then, the BO coating, looks like paint more than black oxide,
The blade, looks instantly as a cheap Chinese blade doesn't even close to what sharpness is...

I couldn't test it further but all i know is that now those fakes that seemed to be limited to web sellers here are now available in the streets?!? :rant: (at least that's the first time i saw one)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #207 on: June 23, 2016, 05:13:55 PM
They are indeed becoming more and more easily available

I've recently seen them pop in places they had never been before

Out of curiosity I picked one myself for around 8 bucks, but I remain a fan, customer and loyal follower of Gerber, especially after handling the fake thing...

the locks are truly a crappy, crappy dangerous thing

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #209 on: October 14, 2017, 05:09:29 AM
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!