Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Love for the G

Zed · 761 · 85155

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Love for the G
Reply #240 on: November 18, 2014, 07:40:26 PM
Nice grab AdmSlc! :tu: Jr
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #241 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:08 PM
I just scored this G Shock. It is the model 5081
So far I'm loving it.

-AdmSlc

Birthday present to yourself?

:D

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #242 on: November 18, 2014, 08:13:32 PM

I just scored this G Shock. It is the model 5081
So far I'm loving it.

-AdmSlc

Birthday present to yourself?

:D
From the family. They picked well this year!

-AdmSlc

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #243 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:41 PM
I have to pick myself to get cool present. Otherwise I just get socks. :doh:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #244 on: November 18, 2014, 09:15:02 PM

Cool socks?
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #245 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:22 PM

Cool socks?

Nope. :cry:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #246 on: November 19, 2014, 05:36:17 AM
So I have decided there are to many G-Shok models. I mean how do I find the one that has the stuff I want and looks they way I want it to? (Not flashy, mostly black so I can wear it with my uniform)

Is there something like the tool finder that SAK's have?

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #247 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:04 AM
What is your wrist size, if I may ask?
And what models do you favour?
Sometimes you can get away by swapping the strap to teh one from another model that is longer.
Or, you do fit some adaptors and wear a Nato/Zulu strap.

My wrist is nearly 9"/23 cm around.  I also like my watch a little loose, i.e. I don't want to feel like it is squeezing my arm or restricting the movement of my hand.

Up to this point, when I've worn a wrist watch in my adult life, I've pretty well stuck with Seiko divers on bracelets.  This allows me to solve the sizing issue by simply getting a couple of extra links added to the bracelet.  However, the selection of G-shocks offered on bracelets is quite limited (perhaps even to one model).

Now that I'm a Scout leader, I'm looking for a watch to take on various scouting adventures.  I would like one with the following features/attributes:
  • 200 m water resistance
  • at least one alarm
  • compass
  • toughness
  • solar powered

My Seiko divers are tough, 200 m water resistant, and I have one that is solar-powered, but they lack alarms or compasses.  A G-shock seems like the logical choice, and I'm leaning toward the G-9300, but want to make sure I'll actually be able to wear it before I get one.

I had seen some pictures of the strap adapter with Zulu strap.  Does this fit pretty much all G-shock models, or only certain ones?  Do you have any personal experience with this set up?

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #248 on: November 19, 2014, 06:23:05 AM

As a G-shock newb, I was hoping to find something like this, but no such luck yet.  I had some success doing Google site searches of the G-shock website for the features I wanted.  I also noticed that many of the watches are offered in several different color schemes.  As an alternative, you could post a list of the capabilities you want and see what folks can suggest.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #249 on: November 19, 2014, 07:05:14 AM

As a G-shock newb, I was hoping to find something like this, but no such luck yet.  I had some success doing Google site searches of the G-shock website for the features I wanted.  I also noticed that many of the watches are offered in several different color schemes.  As an alternative, you could post a list of the capabilities you want and see what folks can suggest.

I bet you lowtech could spout off the model based on what we want but he is AWOL atm.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #250 on: November 19, 2014, 09:33:22 AM
So I have decided there are to many G-Shok models. I mean how do I find the one that has the stuff I want and looks they way I want it to? (Not flashy, mostly black so I can wear it with my uniform)

There is a tool called g-shock perfect search where you put in your wants and get a mnodel list - It only contains models sold in Japan (Which are basically all, but some might only be available there) and might show discontinued models, too bzut it´s as close as it gets.
I´ll try to find a link.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #251 on: November 19, 2014, 09:34:38 AM
What is your wrist size, if I may ask?
And what models do you favour?
Sometimes you can get away by swapping the strap to teh one from another model that is longer.
Or, you do fit some adaptors and wear a Nato/Zulu strap.

My wrist is nearly 9"/23 cm around.  I also like my watch a little loose, i.e. I don't want to feel like it is squeezing my arm or restricting the movement of my hand.

Up to this point, when I've worn a wrist watch in my adult life, I've pretty well stuck with Seiko divers on bracelets.  This allows me to solve the sizing issue by simply getting a couple of extra links added to the bracelet.  However, the selection of G-shocks offered on bracelets is quite limited (perhaps even to one model).

Now that I'm a Scout leader, I'm looking for a watch to take on various scouting adventures.  I would like one with the following features/attributes:
  • 200 m water resistance
  • at least one alarm
  • compass
  • toughness
  • solar powered

My Seiko divers are tough, 200 m water resistant, and I have one that is solar-powered, but they lack alarms or compasses.  A G-shock seems like the logical choice, and I'm leaning toward the G-9300, but want to make sure I'll actually be able to wear it before I get one.

I had seen some pictures of the strap adapter with Zulu strap.  Does this fit pretty much all G-shock models, or only certain ones?  Do you have any personal experience with this set up?

I have no first hand experience with the Mudman (9300), but have mounted adaptors on various models. I´m surfing here instead of doing work, so a longer answer will have to wait until tonight.

Bracelets are available for a variety of models.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:36:30 AM by lowtech »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #252 on: November 19, 2014, 08:08:33 PM
To narrow down what G-Shock you might like an article from over on Watchuseek Forums:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how-search-specific-g-shock-model-152085.html

And this will contain a link to the aforementioned G-Shock search.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how-search-specific-g-shock-model-152085.html

However, if you plan on just buying ONE G-Shock, I can only advise to stay away from thew Watchuseek G-Shock forum.
They are on par with the enablers we have here and are quite a nice bunch who don´t look down on Newbies.
It´s easy to catch the bug. You have been warned.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #253 on: November 19, 2014, 08:31:06 PM
      There are some different bracelets used on G-Shocks.
      - A Combi bracelet used for example here:

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/GW-Mxxx/GW-M5610BC-1/

The bracelet is quite expensive, so buying another one for links might be out of the question

- A ss/ion plated bracelet used on most of the aviators

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/GW-3xx/GW-3000BD-1AJF/

It is quite long, I have one that I will measure for you. It is a bit slim for my taste, especially on bigger watchheads but comfy and easy to adjust.

And quite a few different / proprietary bracelets used on different MT-G. Giez etc. models.

Nice on bigger arms and with all functions you asked for is this, for example:

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/GW-Axxxx/GW-A1100-1AJF/

The already mentioned 9300 Mudman series features a compass, too:

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/Mudman/G-9300ER-5/

Available in different colours and has an atomic sibling

The quite new Rangeman does that too and adds Alti/Barometer.

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/Rangeman/GW-9400-1JR/

Your list:

• 200 m water resistance
  - every G-shock does this.
  • at least one alarm
  • compass
- see above
  • toughness
  - every G-shock does this. - Look here for example:http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55705.0.html  Grathr tortures a nearly 20 year old one.
  • solar powered
- many options, not too many with a compass, but see above
[/list]

The adaptor will fit most G-shocks with "classic" 16 or 18 mm lugs. some newer G-Shocks have special lugs with a prong in the middle for example, those will not thke the adaptors.
The adaptors are quite "boxy" in design and will nor fit all designs equally well (optically, that is).
The G(W)-9300 will take the adaptors. How well the design fits is up to your preferences. Look here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mudman-9300-zulu-strap-adaptors-880181.html

I hope this did help a bit.

Maybe you want to look at the Protrek (former Pathfinder in the US) series, too.
They do only have a WR rating of 10 bar, but are quite rugged and well equipped.

Then there is the SGW-500, for example, a nice, affordable ana/digi with compass.

Or just get any G-Shock you like and clip a small compass to the strap.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:36:07 PM by lowtech »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #254 on: November 19, 2014, 10:23:58 PM
Great info lowtech checking it out now and you are prolly right about leaving the watchuseek forum alone.

So all G's are 200m water resist? Mandatory option for me.

I really like look of the GA-1000 series watch face with the 9, 12 and 3 on the analog display. Has to be mostly black for work wear and of course I want a analog display.

Compass would be very handy to have. Whatever powr option saves me some money is good, prolly battery I am guessing.

So yeah the GA-1000s seem good but I feel like I might be missing something better. Takes forever for my slow internet to load the g shock page or I would just browse though all of them.

Still may do that at some point.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #255 on: November 19, 2014, 11:51:50 PM
{ So this thread ain't about G-strings  :facepalm: }

May I suggest you take a look at Casio Protrek 550 series? Loving mine so far since September.

:whistle:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #256 on: November 19, 2014, 11:53:30 PM
{ So this thread ain't about G-strings  :facepalm: }

May I suggest you take a look at Casio Protrek 550 series? Loving mine so far since September.

:whistle:

Or Gangstas?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #257 on: November 20, 2014, 12:05:08 AM
Gorgonzola?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #258 on: November 20, 2014, 12:13:22 AM
Gypsy Golfers?

gr Offline firiki

Reply #259 on: November 20, 2014, 12:16:46 AM
It has to be Gargamel.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #260 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:03 AM
Nope Godzirra!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #261 on: November 20, 2014, 01:01:19 AM
Godiva?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #262 on: November 20, 2014, 01:04:17 AM
And Garden Gnomes for the win.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #263 on: November 20, 2014, 01:07:30 AM
Go Giants

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #264 on: November 20, 2014, 01:12:49 AM
Grateful gorgeous girls.

It is how I like to leave em.  :tu:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #265 on: November 20, 2014, 01:27:47 AM
About the Pro Trek, it seems well built, has taken some very light taps without a scratch. Solar powered, ana-digi, compass, baro / alti meter. Compass and barometer work good so far, alti depends on baro so there's that. Good legibility and lume, could use an anti-reflective coating on the glass. Some nice colour schemes. I got the black - orange for ease of reading the seconds hand. 100m WR though. There's an atomic clock version with tough movement too, whatever that is. I must say I am a little concerned about the sensor catching muck eventually.

Grateful gorgeous girls.

It is how I like to leave em.  :tu:
You got me at that  :cheers:

A great thing, to make 'em purr.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:30:50 AM by firiki »

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #266 on: November 21, 2014, 06:16:59 AM
      There are some different bracelets used on G-Shocks.
      - A Combi bracelet used for example here:

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/GW-Mxxx/GW-M5610BC-1/

The bracelet is quite expensive, so buying another one for links might be out of the question

- A ss/ion plated bracelet used on most of the aviators

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/GW-3xx/GW-3000BD-1AJF/

It is quite long, I have one that I will measure for you. It is a bit slim for my taste, especially on bigger watchheads but comfy and easy to adjust.

And quite a few different / proprietary bracelets used on different MT-G. Giez etc. models.

Nice on bigger arms and with all functions you asked for is this, for example:

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/GW-Axxxx/GW-A1100-1AJF/

The already mentioned 9300 Mudman series features a compass, too:

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/Mudman/G-9300ER-5/

Available in different colours and has an atomic sibling

The quite new Rangeman does that too and adds Alti/Barometer.

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/Rangeman/GW-9400-1JR/

Your list:

• 200 m water resistance
  • at least one alarm
  • compass
- see above
  • toughness
  - every G-shock does this. - Look here for example:http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55705.0.html  Grathr tortures a nearly 20 year old one.
  • solar powered
- many options, not too many with a compass, but see above
[/list]

The adaptor will fit most G-shocks with "classic" 16 or 18 mm lugs. some newer G-Shocks have special lugs with a prong in the middle for example, those will not thke the adaptors.
The adaptors are quite "boxy" in design and will nor fit all designs equally well (optically, that is).
The G(W)-9300 will take the adaptors. How well the design fits is up to your preferences. Look here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/mudman-9300-zulu-strap-adaptors-880181.html

I hope this did help a bit.

Maybe you want to look at the Protrek (former Pathfinder in the US) series, too.
They do only have a WR rating of 10 bar, but are quite rugged and well equipped.

Then there is the SGW-500, for example, a nice, affordable ana/digi with compass.

Or just get any G-Shock you like and clip a small compass to the strap.

Wow, thanks for such a thorough response.

Seems kind of odd to have to mod an adapter to get it to fit.  Maybe I'll contact Casio directly and see if they have anything else to offer as well.

P.S. I've not had to buy an extra bracelet.  My experience thus far is that as long as you have a current production model, the manufacturer will send you an extra 2-3 links free of charge upon request.[/list]

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #267 on: November 21, 2014, 09:57:07 AM
I was under the impression that you found standard bracelets too small, even with the included extra links. I on´t know if and at wht price extrea links are available from Casio - I only know they are no longer available for my Vintage MR-G full SS G-Shock.
Of course every other used MR-G seems to have a super short bracelet also. Used links/bracelets are non-existent.

It´s this one:
http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/MR-G/MRG-100-1/

But back to topic.

I have measured the Casio brcelet used on the GW-3000/GW-2000, G-1000 Aviators and some other watches. on a GW-2000 watchhead it is about roughly 21.5 cm with the Micro adjustment on the widest position. Bigger watches will give a little more room. 2-3 extra links should do the job, I guess.

The adaptors were designed to fit the case of the Classic G´s, Dw-5600E, DW-6900, DW-9000, which had quite simnilar case designs.
Many Casio Fans do like NATO/ZULU/G10 straps and so on most models someone will have already tested if those (or other) adaptors fit and if/which tweaks are necessary.

There have been Suunto Clips used on older G-9000 Mudman watches, various Pathfinder/Protrek End-links have been tested on different aviators and so on.

Casio themselves, following this trend,  offered some of the XL-Series on a Nylon strap that was made to fit the small G-Shock lugs.

http://toughwatches.net/military-watch-fans-casio-gshock-premiers-military-cloth-band-models/

BTW: The Lugs are so small on G-Shocks as a shorter Springbar is harder to bend, which will ensure tha strap does not come off easily.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #268 on: December 03, 2014, 05:21:48 AM
Maybe I'll contact Casio directly and see if they have anything else to offer as well.

Just wanted to add that I contacted Casio.  They recommended I buy a model on bracelet, and put extra links the bracelet (which I already knew was one option), but didn't have anything else to offer...
 :(

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #269 on: December 03, 2014, 10:06:11 AM
Great info lowtech checking it out now and you are prolly right about leaving the watchuseek forum alone.

So all G's are 200m water resist? Mandatory option for me.

I really like look of the GA-1000 series watch face with the 9, 12 and 3 on the analog display. Has to be mostly black for work wear and of course I want a analog display.

Compass would be very handy to have. Whatever powr option saves me some money is good, prolly battery I am guessing.

So yeah the GA-1000s seem good but I feel like I might be missing something better. Takes forever for my slow internet to load the g shock page or I would just browse though all of them.

Still may do that at some point.

I did decide to let my GA 1000 go - I only wore it a couple of times.
I have the version with the white face and dark blue (looks like a blued gun) resin.
It´s a really nice watch, but a bit on the big side for my arm and not quite black enough for me.

If you are interested, I can post pics and you have first dibs before I post it any where else.

NateJ, aforementioned GA 1000, which is the biggest G in my collection, does have a strap circumference of about 21 cm.
 I´d suggest to have a look around in the PRO TREK model family. There are some models with one piece straps as factory option and some more that will accept them easily. If those don´t tickle your fancy, maybe let us know which G-Shocks you like and we´ll have a look what we can do to mod it to suit you!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%