Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Love for the G

Zed · 761 · 85070

it Offline danilo

Re: Love for the G
Reply #330 on: January 26, 2015, 04:21:09 PM

No shortage of features in that one. I only wish there was a way for the thermometer to work accurately while wearing it.

yeas, the thermometer is almost pointless since most of the time you are wearing it, but then if you really need to know the temperature, it may come in handy (provided you have time to sit and wait for the temperature to settle...)

All in all I'm very pleased, and I like it more and more.

Danilo

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #331 on: January 26, 2015, 04:31:06 PM
The thermo sensor is used to be able to compensate barometric drift caused by temp changes, and as it is already there, they give you a readout as a bonus feature.

it Offline danilo

Reply #332 on: January 26, 2015, 08:58:07 PM
ah that explain a lot! I didn't know that and it makes sense.
thanks for the explanation! 

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #333 on: January 27, 2015, 03:15:38 AM
The thermo sensor is used to be able to compensate barometric drift caused by temp changes, and as it is already there, they give you a readout as a bonus feature.

I wonder how well that works if the temp reading is not accurate though?

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #334 on: January 27, 2015, 10:28:18 AM
AFAIK, it does not need to know the ambient temp, but needs to know the pressure sensors temp to calculate the drift caused by the temperature.
The Temp Sensor is quite accurate, it does not show amnbient temp as your body heats the watch. On most Casios with temp-readout, you can define an offset to make the readout more accurate - There should be a table in the manual how much offset is needed in which conditions.
For correct temp readings, wear the watch on a belt loop or on your pack. When out andd about you can read it easily if you fix teh watch to the shoulder strap of your backpack.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #335 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:10 PM

If they could only compensate barometric changes effect on altimeter readings like Suunto and Garmin do, the Protreks, Rangemans etc would become a lot more attractive to many more out there.

I still wear my GW9400 and love it for the look/function, but Suunto is on my wrist when up in the hills.  8)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #336 on: January 27, 2015, 08:09:23 PM
Here's my latest addition to the family, a G100.. My wrist nearly maxed out the band leaving only 2 notches empty. It's very comfortable.

CASIO G100.JPG
* CASIO G100.JPG (Filesize: 104.31 KB)
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #337 on: January 27, 2015, 09:58:45 PM
I like that black and yellow look Steve.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #338 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:46 PM
I like that black and yellow look Steve.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
Thanks Kyle. It was the last one they had at the counter at Walmart and I couldn't resist. I love an analog/digital combo and this has all the common features that I use including an alarm and 24hr stopwatch.
SAW

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #339 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:08 AM
Looking good steve  :salute:

Offline jrp316

Reply #340 on: February 22, 2015, 05:29:32 AM
Here's my most recent addition: a DW-5000-1JF, the 2001 reissue of the DW-5000 released only in Japan. This one came from Japan, and I bought it as a restore project. As it turns out, it needed only a minor cleanup and some new resin (band and bezel). I sprung for the premium Japan-made resin for this one. It's in excellent condition and is very nice to wear.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #341 on: February 22, 2015, 08:18:52 AM
AFAIK, it does not need to know the ambient temp, but needs to know the pressure sensors temp to calculate the drift caused by the temperature.
The Temp Sensor is quite accurate, it does not show amnbient temp as your body heats the watch. On most Casios with temp-readout, you can define an offset to make the readout more accurate - There should be a table in the manual how much offset is needed in which conditions.
For correct temp readings, wear the watch on a belt loop or on your pack. When out andd about you can read it easily if you fix teh watch to the shoulder strap of your backpack.

This is what I am thinking is the way to go.

I need accurate Barometric Pressure, Temprature and Humidity for making long range shots. I use a Kestral that will also measure wind at my position but would love to have a watch for back up or if I don't have my meter for some reason.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #342 on: February 22, 2015, 08:38:22 AM
Here's my most recent addition: a DW-5000-1JF, the 2001 reissue of the DW-5000 released only in Japan. This one came from Japan, and I bought it as a restore project. As it turns out, it needed only a minor cleanup and some new resin (band and bezel). I sprung for the premium Japan-made resin for this one. It's in excellent condition and is very nice to wear.

(Image removed from quote.)

very nice,i would love too get hold of one of these,as there close in looks to my old DW50001b i had back in 83  :salute:

Offline jrp316

Reply #343 on: February 22, 2015, 04:06:19 PM
very nice,i would love too get hold of one of these,as there close in looks to my old DW50001b i had back in 83  :salute:

Thanks. I'm actually getting ready to build a sort of modern 'tribute' model to the DW-5000-1B in the next day or so. I'll post it up when I'm done. The DW-5000-1JF is a Japan only model and was only released there. Chances are, you'll have to shop in Japan to get one; I bought mine from Yahoo Japan auctions.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #344 on: February 22, 2015, 04:27:11 PM

Thanks. I'm actually getting ready to build a sort of modern 'tribute' model to the DW-5000-1B in the next day or so. I'll post it up when I'm done. The DW-5000-1JF is a Japan only model and was only released there. Chances are, you'll have to shop in Japan to get one; I bought mine from Yahoo Japan auctions.

Im pretty happy with my dw5600c, dw5600e and G5600e, ive aso a few 5500 variations, what i really want is a original DW50001B but there out of my price range,just wish i still had my original one  :-\

Offline jrp316

Reply #345 on: February 22, 2015, 05:41:58 PM
I've seen quite a few DW-5000-1A watches for sale, but I don't think I've seen a 1B yet. They're nice watches from the pics I've seen though. I wish Casio still made the resin bezels and bands for the vintage screwback watches though. The only viable option for them these days are Brazilian reproduction pieces. They're of good quality (have a set on my 5000-1A and my 5600C), but an original set would be nice.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #346 on: February 22, 2015, 06:52:37 PM
I've seen quite a few DW-5000-1A watches for sale, but I don't think I've seen a 1B yet. They're nice watches from the pics I've seen though. I wish Casio still made the resin bezels and bands for the vintage screwback watches though. The only viable option for them these days are Brazilian reproduction pieces. They're of good quality (have a set on my 5000-1A and my 5600C), but an original set would be nice.

yeah my dw5600c has a Brazilian  :D looks ok though,i would be happy picking up a beater dw5001b and fitting a brazilian  :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #347 on: February 22, 2015, 08:09:59 PM
Zed is wearing a brazilian while fondling Kirks spirit.... :facepalm:

Sorry, Guys. My mind is a bit fuzzy from an incoming flu I guess, but that made me go  :ahhh.

I keep getting beck to a 5600 series G-Shock, too. There are many nice models - And I do own quite a few - But It´s nice to have a watch you can operate without thinking and which will do what it´s asked to do no matter where and when.

I still need to find the time to switch the GWM 5600 I wear as my daily watch from it´s casing into a GWM 5600 BC case and put some fresh resin on. Will be a nice, subdued watch then.

And I still am thinking wether I should wear the limited edition screwback/steel case DW-5000 SL i have.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #348 on: February 22, 2015, 08:31:10 PM
Zed is wearing a brazilian while fondling Kirks spirit.... :facepalm:

Sorry, Guys. My mind is a bit fuzzy from an incoming flu I guess, but that made me go  :ahhh.

I keep getting beck to a 5600 series G-Shock, too. There are many nice models - And I do own quite a few - But It´s nice to have a watch you can operate without thinking and which will do what it´s asked to do no matter where and when.

I still need to find the time to switch the GWM 5600 I wear as my daily watch from it´s casing into a GWM 5600 BC case and put some fresh resin on. Will be a nice, subdued watch then.

And I still am thinking wether I should wear the limited edition screwback/steel case DW-5000 SL i have.

nah you should send me the spike lee thomas  :whistle:  ;)

Offline jrp316

Reply #349 on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:31 PM
I didn't care much for the DW-5000SL when I saw it in pictures. It's a nice watch, but it just didn't do much for me. I recently completed a mod that changed my mind about it. I transplanted a DW-5000SL crystal into a DW-5600E model. I like it, but it somewhat makes me want the real thing. The picture depicts the watch minus the bezel.

Offline jrp316

Reply #350 on: February 23, 2015, 02:49:36 AM
@Zed - as it turns out, the parts for my DW-5000C-1B 'tribute model' came in yesterday. I've just completed the work on the watch. It's a DW-5025D (25th anniversary screwback) modified with a new silver LCD and a gold lettered black bezel. Check it out. Does it look like the 5000C-1B that you used to have?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #351 on: February 23, 2015, 09:28:09 AM
@Zed - as it turns out, the parts for my DW-5000C-1B 'tribute model' came in yesterday. I've just completed the work on the watch. It's a DW-5025D (25th anniversary screwback) modified with a new silver LCD and a gold lettered black bezel. Check it out. Does it look like the 5000C-1B that you used to have?

yes mate it does,mine had gold buttons and buckle as well,i got it around the end of 83 with my first pay packet, :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #352 on: February 23, 2015, 10:01:07 AM
Nice Gs here. :tu:  Going to get one soon - fancy a square one for the classic look, and have been looking at the GW-M5610-1ER.  Don't want to spend much more than that, but should I consider other models?  Is it worth the extra over the DW-5600E-1VER, for example?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #353 on: February 23, 2015, 10:27:27 AM
For me its the DW5600E ,even over my solar G5600E  I prefer the more old school basic feel of the DW5600E,but there all great in my books  :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #354 on: February 23, 2015, 01:36:26 PM
Thanks Zed.  I'll have to ask the mrs how much she thinks I'm worth. :D  I do like the idea of the solar one, but it's not really much trouble to swap batteries.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #355 on: February 23, 2015, 01:54:39 PM
Thanks Zed.  I'll have to ask the mrs how much she thinks I'm worth. :D  I do like the idea of the solar one, but it's not really much trouble to swap batteries.

Batteries are easy to do plus new gaskets available on ebay,my DW5600E gets beaten on more than any of my other G's,but if she thinks your worth more  :D go solar  :salute:

Offline jrp316

Reply #356 on: February 23, 2015, 08:38:53 PM
yes mate it does,mine had gold buttons and buckle as well,i got it around the end of 83 with my first pay packet, :tu:

This one has the gold buttons, bezel screws and buckle as well. Pics of such:

Offline jrp316

Reply #357 on: February 23, 2015, 08:48:10 PM
Nice Gs here. :tu:  Going to get one soon - fancy a square one for the classic look, and have been looking at the GW-M5610-1ER.  Don't want to spend much more than that, but should I consider other models?  Is it worth the extra over the DW-5600E-1VER, for example?

It's hard to beat the DW-5600E on value for the money. The selling point for me on the GW-M5610 would be the look that it shares with the classic DW-5000c. I could really do without the solar and atomic time features personally, but I do like the look of it. The prices for that particular watch seem to be all over the shop as of late though.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #358 on: February 23, 2015, 11:22:19 PM

This one has the gold buttons, bezel screws and buckle as well. Pics of such:

Very nice  :tu: spitting image of my old DW50001B  :salute:

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #359 on: February 28, 2015, 04:49:29 PM
Nice G's jrp316 I have some multitools to trade for those :) , I recently restore one, my very first with the module 240 it looks really good in the wrist, the first round G, DW-5400, unfortunately only manage to find the dw-5700 bezel, the 5400 it's impossible to get, at least it's genuine casio strap and bezel :)

uploadfromtaptalk1425138479238.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1425138479238.jpg (Filesize: 36.75 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%