Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Love for the G

Zed · 761 · 84771

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Love for the G
Reply #390 on: March 20, 2015, 07:00:42 PM
The negative display one is cool. :tu:

I have a GW-810BD and like it quite a bit. I should do a G group shot at some point too.

x1  :salute: nice choices  :tu:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #391 on: March 20, 2015, 10:03:08 PM
This seemed to be the best thread for that, so:

does this look Genuine? does this model exist?

http://www.dinodirect.com/g-shock-gw-7900-with-box-p42152611.html?affid=244

(Image removed from quote.)

The price seems very low, but Dinodirect is not really known for fakes, but there is no mention of Casio on the page, but the pictures show a Casio...  I may get one, as the price is low..... maybe.

My watch knowledge is  even less than my multitool knowledge   :D

EDIT: It seems to be this Casio model,  IT IS the same -look at the time ....  :rofl:: http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/G-Shock/G7900-1/

(Image removed from quote.)

I probably answered my own question: here are some similar ones..
http://www.c2coffer.com/search/harga-gshock-clone.html

The piucture shows a G-7900 indeed. But be aware, there are plenty of fakes available of this model. Giveaways are strange Typefaces, wrong dot matrix of the day of the week LCD and in general odd looks or colour combos.

Check out the variants here:

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/G-7xx/

Essexman, I do own the dark blue/white dial variant of the Aviator. I do like the functions but don´t get along with the white dial, so it gets nearly zero wrist time - I like the black/orange one!

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #392 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:54 AM
Cheers Guys. The neg display 5600 is solar and atomic. Found new at the end of last year on special offer, came with the bracelet rather than the norm rubber strap, makes such a difference in the way it wears.

Aviator was from another forum secondhand deal. Love the compass, and the way it lights up in the dark.

de Offline matzesu

Reply #393 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:30 PM
I realy hope my GW3000M Radio Controlled Solar G-Shock will get automatic the Summertime this Night, i dont want to read in the manual
Its write to smal, so i would need the Mag Glas of my Swisschamp XLT
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

de Offline matzesu

Reply #394 on: March 29, 2015, 12:09:24 PM
Surprisly, it worked out that it switched automatikly to METS (Middle Europaean Time, Summertime)
Be glad if your in a country, which have the same time the wole yeahr..

One reason why whe love the G :)
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #395 on: March 29, 2015, 12:18:30 PM
Surprisly, it worked out that it switched automatikly to METS (Middle Europaean Time, Summertime)
Be glad if your in a country, which have the same time the wole yeahr..

One reason why whe love the G :)

:salute:
Ive got 7 G's and only 3 have dst mode and ive no atomic,as ive a few watches ive got use to changing there times,only took me a few mins last night im old school  :D

00 Offline symphonyincminor

Reply #396 on: April 07, 2015, 02:16:07 PM
Been looking at G-SHOCK's for years, and finally started a small collection after receiving my first one as a gift this Christmas (she's a keeper and I can blame her for getting the ball rolling on a new hobby :)).

The first one:

The second one and my grail G-SHOCK. Was lucky to find one in stock from an oversea's seller. I've had my eyes on this one for a couple years and was able to finally pull the trigger. It's a limited edition Men in Smokey Gray Gulfman. It's so lightweight I couldn't believe it (titanium backplate and screws, titanium lug screws, and titanium button pusher shafts):

And the third one. Men in Garish Black Gulfman, both solar and atomic. Got this one for an absolute steal:

Next I need a square to round out the collection......

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #397 on: April 07, 2015, 02:57:29 PM
I love the G100, it's an awesome G :D

As for the other, if it measures lunar activity then I'm sold.

You, Sir, have great taste in G's :salute:
SAW

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #398 on: April 07, 2015, 03:48:06 PM

that made me chuckle,  either great geometry humor,  or my nerdishness decided to take over.   :rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #399 on: April 07, 2015, 05:45:49 PM

that made me chuckle,  either great geometry humor,  or my nerdishness decided to take over.   :rofl:

:rofl: but yes you need a classic 5600  :salute:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #400 on: May 02, 2015, 10:27:52 PM
I'm quite surprised by how much I like my DW5600E. Got it a couple of months ago, not expecting that much but feeling that I ought to try one, and I've worn it pretty much every day since. Nice retro feel to it, not too big (I was expecting it to be massive) and seemingly indestructible. My only niggles are that I seem to be between holes on the strap and that the light button is a little hard to press. Otherwise, very happy with it. :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #401 on: May 03, 2015, 09:52:40 AM
I'm quite surprised by how much I like my DW5600E. Got it a couple of months ago, not expecting that much but feeling that I ought to try one, and I've worn it pretty much every day since. Nice retro feel to it, not too big (I was expecting it to be massive) and seemingly indestructible. My only niggles are that I seem to be between holes on the strap and that the light button is a little hard to press. Otherwise, very happy with it. :tu:

im sure the button will wear in  :tu: my G5600E feels between holes on my wrist but my DW5600E is just right,one function i like on the dw5600e is the hourly chime with flashing light  :tu: but i do like the auto EL on the G5600E and G5500ts ive got  :tu: plus the solar power,but not a deal breaker for me as do like the old feel of the dw5600e, glad your enjoying it ,there a classic  :salute:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:53:51 AM by Zed »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #402 on: May 03, 2015, 12:47:48 PM

you could try the strap from the solar or solar atomic models. while fitting perfectly and having the same design, they have a slightly differing length abnd might be your ticket to perfect fitment.

de Offline matzesu

Reply #403 on: August 13, 2015, 05:59:18 AM
Yesterday evening, i tryed the Alarm Funktion on my analog radio solar GW 3000 out, whitout read the manual, and today at 5:30 it beept..
I used to not use much features of this g-shock because whitout a display, its a bit divicult, but it seems like i just chose the right buttons for this task..
Now its more than a shock and waterproof thing taht shows the time :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #404 on: August 13, 2015, 10:20:48 AM
Yesterday evening, i tryed the Alarm Funktion on my analog radio solar GW 3000 out, whitout read the manual, and today at 5:30 it beept..
I used to not use much features of this g-shock because whitout a display, its a bit divicult, but it seems like i just chose the right buttons for this task..
Now its more than a shock and waterproof thing taht shows the time :)

I use a lot of the functions on my G's  ,at work i use the countdown function for timing the salt machine,at night i use the EL function,and i have all my G's hourly chime on,is a bit anoying at night when they all go off  :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #405 on: August 13, 2015, 01:27:29 PM
Spent some time in Casio's site. Finally decided on the G models I want (if I find a good deal on).

1. G9300-1

2. GW-9400-1 or GW-9400-3 (depending on how I like the visibility in both models)

I chose solar models (no battery changes) with Compass and one or two more functions (in this case thermometer and moon phases). The GW models are more complete (altimeter, barometer, sunrise/sunset) but also almost twice as expensive as the G9300.

Any thoughts on these models?...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #406 on: August 13, 2015, 02:10:52 PM
Although not G's for ABC type watches ive always found the protek casios very good and tough watches,but a tad large,ok on my big wrists but might be too large for some ,i dont have any abc type watches anymore,it was funny the other day as my wife asked me how hot it was, she said look on my watch  :facepalm: i said i dont have one like that anymore,she just rolled her eyes  ::)  :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #407 on: August 13, 2015, 02:19:35 PM
Great, now you have me looking into the Protek range...
 :facepalm:

Thanks for the input. I don't need an absolute shock proof watch, I think the Protek may have some nice options, too. I'll keep you posted on what I find...

:salute: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #408 on: August 13, 2015, 05:58:05 PM
Great, now you have me looking into the Protek range...
 :facepalm:

Thanks for the input. I don't need an absolute shock proof watch, I think the Protek may have some nice options, too. I'll keep you posted on what I find...

:salute: :tu:

Glad too help ,or not  :rofl: look forward on your choice  :salute:

Offline jrp316

Reply #409 on: August 18, 2015, 10:18:41 PM
Fresh off the workbench, my DW-1983 tribute watch. It's a restored/modified DW-5000-1JF. I replaced the buckle, buttons, bezel screws and LCD screen with gold parts. Although I'm not the biggest fan of gold on a watch, this one looks excellent with it and very closely resembles the original DW-1983. The DW-1983, for those that don't know, is the 10th anniversary reissue of the original DW-5000C. The production was limited to 1983 pieces, are rare to find for sale and very expensive when they do. This one is a tribute to that watch.

Shiny case with gold buttons and LCD:

All dressed up in new resin:

A real DW-1983 for comparison

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #410 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:29 PM
Did you use a Spike Lee Crystal or one from a more recent model? I like the look, although Gold is not for me, I fear.
I still argue about putting a standard 1545 module into my Spike Lee with myself...
Would make a nice, understated EDC watch that only G-Shock Nerds would recognise as "not your usual plastic Casio"

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #411 on: August 18, 2015, 10:52:46 PM
Very nice homage  :salute: a bit like my old DW50001b but with the 1a red line  :tu:

Offline jrp316

Reply #412 on: August 19, 2015, 02:38:03 PM
Did you use a Spike Lee Crystal or one from a more recent model? I like the look, although Gold is not for me, I fear.
I still argue about putting a standard 1545 module into my Spike Lee with myself...
Would make a nice, understated EDC watch that only G-Shock Nerds would recognise as "not your usual plastic Casio"

The watch crystal is the original one; the DW-5000-1JF is a reissue of the original DW-5000C and was only available in the Japanese market. It's basically the modern screwback version of the DW-5000C. The stock watch came with a silver LCD, buttons and bezel screws. For this one, the parts were swapped with gold ones.

The DW-5000SL (Spike Lee) came out in 2003. The crystals are very similar; the biggest differences are that the writing and the LCD ring are gold instead of white. I'm kinda surprised that the buttons and screws weren't gold as well. Like the Spike, this one has the 1545 module.

A lot of people have put regular 1545 modules into the Spike Lee since they don't like the '3 Acres and a Mule' logo. If you're up to module disassembly, that logo is just a card that sits in front of the electroluminescent sheet; you have to disassemble the whole module to get to it.

I'm not a big fan of gold either. My tribute DW5000C-1B watch (posted earlier in the thread) had a gold LCD, and still has gold buttons and screws. All the gold hit me all wrong, so I ended up modding it back over again and made it look more like the DW-5000C-1B. The gold on this particular watch is just enough to be understated and give it the right amount of classy without going over the top.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #413 on: August 19, 2015, 04:52:45 PM

The DW-5000SL (Spike Lee) came out in 2003. The crystals are very similar; the biggest differences are that the writing and the LCD ring are gold instead of white. I'm kinda surprised that the buttons and screws weren't gold as well. Like the Spike, this one has the 1545 module.

A lot of people have put regular 1545 modules into the Spike Lee since they don't like the '3 Acres and a Mule' logo. If you're up to module disassembly, that logo is just a card that sits in front of the electroluminescent sheet; you have to disassemble the whole module to get to it.

I'm not a big fan of gold either. My tribute DW5000C-1B watch (posted earlier in the thread) had a gold LCD, and still has gold buttons and screws. All the gold hit me all wrong, so I ended up modding it back over again and made it look more like the DW-5000C-1B. The gold on this particular watch is just enough to be understated and give it the right amount of classy without going over the top.

The watch crystal is the original one; the DW-5000-1JF is a reissue of the original DW-5000C and was only available in the Japanese market. It's basically the modern screwback version of the DW-5000C. The stock watch came with a silver LCD, buttons and bezel screws. For this one, the parts were swapped with gold ones.

I´m not to fluent in the international issues as I try to avoid the G-Shock section on watchuseek, It´s contagious... thanks for the insight.
I quite like the silver display you had in your watch origianally.
I am no stranger to module disassembly, but I would liek to keep the original SL module in case I decide to return the watch to it´s original state.

An example of a modded watch (and module...) I did, It resides at Sjors from 50Gs and G-Shock People.

I think I have shown it on here before, but a pic of a classic G is always good.

together with the same watch in original form.

with a Baby G of fitting colour and similar (mirrored background, coloured digits) display

Bad Illumination shot

And an extra shot of another mod of mine.

G-3011, sandblasted bezel ring, black dyed lower bezel, Maratac ZULU with bead blasted hardware.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #414 on: August 19, 2015, 05:00:37 PM
Spent some time in Casio's site. Finally decided on the G models I want (if I find a good deal on).

1. G9300-1

2. GW-9400-1 or GW-9400-3 (depending on how I like the visibility in both models)

I chose solar models (no battery changes) with Compass and one or two more functions (in this case thermometer and moon phases). The GW models are more complete (altimeter, barometer, sunrise/sunset) but also almost twice as expensive as the G9300.

Any thoughts on these models?...

Took a look at the Protek series, got some more entries to my wishlist:

1. PRG270B-1

2. PAG240T-7

3a. PRW3000-1A (maybe a little difficult to read...)

3b. PRW3500-1

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline jrp316

Reply #415 on: August 19, 2015, 07:43:15 PM
I´m not to fluent in the international issues as I try to avoid the G-Shock section on watchuseek, It´s contagious... thanks for the insight.
I quite like the silver display you had in your watch origianally.

I have another one like that. This one's the first DW-5000-1JF I restored some time ago. I swapped out the stock LCD for the DW-5030-1JR LCD, which is a much better quality LCD. Here it is side by side with the gold one. Edit: just noticed something. I seem to be consistent with my level of 'module crookedness'. Both of them point uphill left to right about the same amount. Ha.

Nice job on those watch mods. I think I remember seeing the first one with the black and purple bezel. You modded that one to have a mirrored LCD using cell phone privacy film, right?

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #416 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:47 PM
Right, a phone screen protector was used - I bought it to replace a damaged reflective film behind the lcd, but the mirror effect showed while playing around.

Offline jrp316

Reply #417 on: August 20, 2015, 05:25:44 AM
Welp...looking at the pic of my DW-1983 tribute and seeing the crooked screen got my OCD started again. I just had to crack the thing back open and straighten it out. Thankfully it wasn't too hard to do, but it seems like a crooked module is often part and parcel with Gs.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #418 on: August 20, 2015, 08:44:41 AM
Especially on older models, a crooked screen is common.
The module floats rather freely, only surrounded by a rubber damper and can move a certain amount.
Newer modules often have a protrusion sliding in a valley (in lack of a better term...) in teh case to avoid a crooked module.

But I´d rather have a module that sits a bit crooked after a shock than one that is still correctly aligned, but damaged.

You don´t happen to have the silver backed module available, do you?  :pok:

And btw and a bit off topic, do you know of a modern G that has a wide, double clasp strap in the grey colour the grey/yellow Gaussman cam in? Mine has a spare strap keeper from another watch, but teh wrong colour puts me off and I´m tempted to buy a complete strap just for a correct keeper.

Offline jrp316

Reply #419 on: August 20, 2015, 02:55:28 PM
Especially on older models, a crooked screen is common.
The module floats rather freely, only surrounded by a rubber damper and can move a certain amount.
Newer modules often have a protrusion sliding in a valley (in lack of a better term...) in teh case to avoid a crooked module.

But I´d rather have a module that sits a bit crooked after a shock than one that is still correctly aligned, but damaged.

I know what you mean about the crooked modules on the vintage Gs. My DW-5000C has a misaligned module that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. It's lower on the right side than the left. When I do, I'm going to place a piece of double sided carbon tape where the alarm spring contacts the glass so as not to damage the crystal graphics. I'm also going to see if I can make a second back rubber pad to double up the thickness of the existing one. It'll help keep the module from falling back into the case so much.

The protrusion that you refer to, if I'm thinking of the right thing, is an alignment tab on the plastic module housing that fits into a notch cut into the outer metal module housing. It allows for easier assembly, but doesn't give you much flexibility to rotate the module. I've seen brand new watches on store shelves that were crooked as well. I was able to nudge mine with the tip of a screwdriver and get it properly aligned. Quite likely, it turned the whole assembly at once inside the case.

You don´t happen to have the silver backed module available, do you?  :pok:

And btw and a bit off topic, do you know of a modern G that has a wide, double clasp strap in the grey colour the grey/yellow Gaussman cam in? Mine has a spare strap keeper from another watch, but teh wrong colour puts me off and I´m tempted to buy a complete strap just for a correct keeper.

I have a silver 1545 module in a DW-5600E that I'd bought for parts sometime ago that I didn't end up needing. I also have a spare silver 5600E LCD by itself. If you want either one, just let me know.
[/quote]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD