Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlights

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Flashlights
on: October 03, 2006, 02:48:09 AM
Lately my Surefire 3P and Streamlight Twin Task have been alternating in my pocket when I walk the dog at night, but I am also fond of Mini Mags with the LED conversion kits and the new Victorinox line of flashlights from Emissive Energy.

I have been sticking to the Surefire and the Streamlight because of the size (short and stout enough to ride easily in the pocket and fill the hand) and because I like switches.  I am not now, nor ever was a fan of head twisting flashlights, although the Victorinox AA model is very respectable.

I also have a few Photon style lights kicking around here and there, including one on a clip with a Wenger Nail Clipper model hanging in my truck.  I'm pretty fond of those little buggers, and for the price, hell you can't go wrong.

My big Mag lights have pretty well been retired these days- I'll probably break them out again when I go camping, get a new Jeep or get back into security work (broke my foot a few years ago and it doesn't hold up well to security stuff anymore) and I have an Inova X5 that I am quite fond of as well.  I just wish it had a clicky style switch on the back rather than the momentary on/off and twisty tailcap.

What's lighting up your life?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Flashlights
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:22:28 AM
I always carry a Nuwaii Q3.  It's my favorite light.  I also have a modded Mag Solitaire LED on my keychain.  When camping, my main light is a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA.  For backup/camp lighting I carry a Mag LED with a red filter lens (to preserve night vision).  Right now, I'm trying to decide between a headlamp or a small light for a camping task light.

Other than those, next to the bed I've got a Surefire G2.  I've also got a Mag 2AA with a SMJLED on my girlfriends nightstand, and a Mag 2AA with a Terralux LED on my dresser.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:37:56 AM
I have a Photon Freedom light on my keychain and use it more than the LM micra thats next to it.  Next to my bed I keep a 3-Dcell Maglite with a Maglite LED bulb in it.  I first got a LED bulb from a company other than Maglite and didn't like it at all.  The Mag bulb is much brighter.  I keep a Mini Maglite with the LED conversion in my dresser drawer.  I wanting to get VIC light but haven't gotten around to it yet.
"

Offline space cowboy

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 01:05:54 PM
I have a Metal Gear LED that can clip on pocket or belt. It has a good spot & spill beam. For 20 bucks its a pretty good light using AAA cells.

Offline mkphc

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 04:04:12 AM
Bright star responder 4-c fireman light for work hvac contractor 2 hrs burn, rechargable

inova x-5 just recieved it on a trade, getting used to it

H

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:25:35 AM
I have been a big fan of SureFire lights - however I just got my first  PENTAGONL3 model which I purchased on sale for $99. It's going to give SureFire a run for their money from performance to price  to their life time warranty.  I am by no means a flashlight aficionado, however I find the L3 a very nice addition to my SureFire herd of lights AND my next purchase will be another Pentagon  LED light....

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 11:50:08 PM
I like the nuwaii stuff.it's like the expensive us stuff only it's not expensive.Some of the "American" names are actually made by Nuwaii too
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline damota

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:25:25 AM
I have a Streamlight Baton Led, Infinity LED and a Madjack Halogen. As the Stream light uses N cells that are like rocking horse doo-dah to get hold of I decided to get a Gerber Foreman Task light when available over here, I got one when I got the Paul Chen and it must be good because I had it nicked. Never had that bother since I stopped supplying all the rogues round here with 2AA Maglights  >:(
I will replace it (I have 3 tips I got with it so then I will have 6) but I want a different carry system for it so I do not just put it down.

Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 01:24:20 PM
For a good, effective carry solution, you should seriously check out On Scene Tactical's custom kydex rigs.  Eric can crank them out quickly, and the man is an artist!  Check out the review I wrote of his SAK neckers here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=35

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 08:46:37 AM
I picked up a new Maglite 2-cell LED flashlight the other day and was suprised to find that it has the candle mode. 
maglite.jpg
* maglite.jpg (Filesize: 35.74 KB)
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 12:11:32 PM
Apparently you never read my flashlight review on SOSAKOnline... :P

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=35

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 09:41:36 AM
In fact I read that review the day it came out.  Sorry but I forgot about it.  It sad but sometime I even forget my own posts :cry:
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 11:34:42 AM
What were we talking about? :P

Happens to the best of us! 

At least I think it does...

Def

Offline damota

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 02:41:54 PM
I have a Streamlight Baton Led, Infinity LED and a Madjack Halogen. As the Stream light uses N cells that are like rocking horse doo-dah to get hold of I decided to get a Gerber Foreman Task light when available over here, I got one when I got the Paul Chen and it must be good because I had it nicked. Never had that bother since I stopped supplying all the rogues round here with 2AA Maglights  >:(
I will replace it (I have 3 tips I got with it so then I will have 6) but I want a different carry system for it so I do not just put it down.

Dave

I spied my torch took it back so do not have to replace it. Some dozy people about (got to wonder if that was him for passing me with it in his pocket, or me for putting it down in his presence?). I think we have both learnt a lesson?

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 01:58:09 AM
Happy to hear you got it back.   :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 02:37:58 AM
I found this flashlight on that Russian knife website. It looks unsafe for civilian use! What the heck is it?
l2.jpg
* l2.jpg (Filesize: 72.17 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 02:59:24 AM
I want it...

Geez, it looks lethal!

Def

Offline ausjulius

• were in dagestan , and make knives ..
Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 06:05:56 PM
I found this flashlight on that Russian knife website. It looks unsafe for civilian use! What the heck is it?

hmm well , its not a knife, so youve got me stumped,,, ill show the pic to some military guys tomorrow, and see what is is,, looks like a grenade :)
m

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 06:51:24 PM
It's a LumaRay FL6.

There's a review of it HERE
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 07:06:55 PM
Not bad at all... and with an MSRP of $70 it seems like a reasonable light...

Def

Offline geoemt

Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 09:15:01 PM
Cool flashlight  :D :D

More information here: http://www.lumaray.com/

Guillermo
<

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 11:10:00 PM
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
PICTURE of the porcupine flashlight

Sorry it's sold ( posted only for 8 minutes - gotta be quick on CPF ) for $625.00 !!! 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 01:54:30 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 02:00:42 AM
OMFG, that thing is awesome!

But $625.00?! For a device that doesn't even have a set of needlenose pliers or a 154CM knife blade? I don't think so!   :D

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 05:55:18 AM
I have an Arc-AAA Premium on my keychain which is great for shedding a little light when needed.  This replaced my Mini-Mag which after using the Arc went straight to my 5 year old to use as a toy...In my glovebox I have a yellow Surefire G2 Nitrolon and my EDC is a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman.  Great little light.  I'll stick with Surefire lights from now on.  Excellent product with an even better service dept.  My G2 was the old style with the non-lockout tail cap so I e-mailed them asking about the newer lockout type and within 5 minutes (seriously, 5 MINUTES) of sending the e-mail I got a reply saying one would be sent to me...for free.  I got it in about a week, that is service!!!

Jim

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 10:01:32 PM
These are what light up my life (asterisk next to favorites)

CMG Infinity
Electrolumens Blaster 1R
Fenix
    L1T w/CR123 body
    L2P w/additional L1P body*
    L2T*
    L0P Special Edition*
Gerber Infinity Ultra*
Huntlight FT-01*
Maglite
    3D w/Diamond DB-3W drop-in Luxeon
    Minimag w/Terralux TLE-5 drop-in Lux and Kroll tailswitch
Peak Pacific
Princeton Tec Corona (headlamp)

...and a Fauxton always on the keychain...

I EDC the Gerber IU, the Fenix L1T w/CR123 body and the Fenix L0P SE.  I also EDC a Fenix L1P with L2P head on many occasions.

The L0P SE is a wonderful 1AAA Luxeon light with three levels: 12 lumens normal, 6 lumens low and 30 on high.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:10:06 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 01:22:04 AM
Got any pictures of, or links to, your favorites?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 01:27:16 AM
I have often looked at the Gerber Infinity and wondered if it was any good.  I guess now I'll have to look at it again!
Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 02:07:11 AM
The Gerber is my most used light.  However, it is also my dimmest light. 

I know that may sound strange, but I like to use a dimmer 5mm LED flashlight when my eyes are dark-adjusted.  I use it to navigate around a dark house and it is my most-used light when camping.  It runs for--get this--over 36 hours of useful light with 1AA battery.  It's the perfect "survival" light, IMO.  The clip on it is also great for hands-free when you have a baseball hat on.  Just clip it on, and you have a cheap, long-lasting headlamp.  It's built like a tank.

J-sews, I will get you links and pics ASAP.
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 03:27:12 AM

Left to right (with links):

1. Fenix L0P Special Edition (three levels in a 1AAA light)
2. Fenix L1T with CR123 body (same as L2T in a very small 3" package)
3. Peak Pacific w/1AA pocket body (Lux 1 runs 12 hours on lithium AA)
4. Gerber Infinity Ultra
5. Fenix L2P head on L1P body
6. Huntlight FT-01 (poor man's Surefire.  Modular, 60 lumens on 2 CR123, or 18650 rechargeable. Unbelieveable performance for the price)
7. Fenix L2T (two very useful levels.  22 hours low, 2.5 hours high)

Of course, most of these lights can be researched further on the wonderful Flashlightreviews.com. But, I will be glad to anwer any questions.

The modded minimag was added to the picture for scale.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:31:55 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80