Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nite Ize Tool Holster Stretch -- seeking comments

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Interested in reading comments from anyone who has used a Nite Ize Tool Holster Stretch.   I've not seen one in person.  

How well does it work?
Is the bottom open?   If so, can the tool fall out through the bottom?

It looks like a variant of the Nite Ize Lite Holster Stretch, but made for multitools and SAKs instead.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Re: Nite Ize Tool Holster Stretch -- seeking comments
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:14:01 AM
I was actually just going to post a review of the Lite Holster Stretch when I saw this thread. I've been using it for my ITP C7T, it works great. Holds the flashlight well, and after about 10 insertions and extractions, it fits it perfectly. I love that the clip rotates so you can point the light forward. The build quality is great. As an added bonus, I found that it can hold a pen and a pencil in the side elastics. Looking at the pictures, it looks like the trick would work for the Tool Holster Stretch. The bottom looks closed, but even if it wasn't, the retention system works so well you really don't need it.
closed (Medium).jpg
* closed (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 30.09 KB)
2010-05-13 22.49.06 (Medium).jpg
* 2010-05-13 22.49.06 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 74.98 KB)
2010-05-13 22.49.48 (Medium).jpg
* 2010-05-13 22.49.48 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 79.37 KB)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:09:48 PM
I have been using the Nite Ize Tool Stretch holster I bought recently. 

All my multitools including a Leatherman Surge and Victorinox One Hand Trekker fit.  There's no way for them to fall out the bottom.  However, I would not use this holster with my SOG PPP or old style SOG PowerLock with exposed gears because the gear teeth would probably destroy the holster in short order.

I like that the top flap closes with a metal snap instead of hook and loop ("velcro").

That said, I probably won't be wearing the Nite Ize Stretch tool holster on my belt because it sticks out too far due to the rotating clip.  When worn on the belt,   a tool in the Nite Ize Stretch holster feels heavier than when carried in a holster held closer to the body.   I will probably clip the Stretch holster to a versipack or secondary web belt instead of wearing it directly on my main belt.

I bought it from Gad-Zooks on eBay.  The total cost was $9.58 shipped by 1st class US Snail.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:13:45 PM
Just an update to my post 4 years ago.   I didn't get much use from the Nite Ize Stretch holster because it stuck out too far and had a tendency to catch on doorways and other objects when I passed them.

http://www.niteize.com/product/Tool-Holster-Stretch.asp

I converted the Nite Ize Stretch to an open top holster as another owner shows in these videos.   Applying a bit of super glue keeps the cut material from fraying. 

The modified Stretch has a much lower profile now and is lighter in weight.  I like it!

The tool retention is quite good.   If the elastic ever loosens, I will place a ranger band (rubber band made from an inner tube) around the sheath to tighten its grip.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:18:17 PM
I glued the rotating clip mechanism to prevent rotation. 

A couple of times, I found the holster turned upside down on my belt.  Must have brushed against something which caused the holster to rotate.   Don't want to lose the contents despite the good retention.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 01:47:27 AM
Nice bit of Macgyvering Parnass. :tu:  I've got nothing against an open topped sheath, just so long as there is enough friction to hold the item in place. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%