Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

!!! GREAT SWISSTOOL !!!

Vadim · 39 · 4287

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
!!! GREAT SWISSTOOL !!!
on: May 20, 2010, 07:45:27 AM
Sorry no pictures.Short story. I was testing a Swisstool x vs Leatherman Surge cutting nails and screws.The nail and screw about 4mm.After a couple cutting with Surge the hahdles was broken BUT! still cutting,not so efficient, nails.Second was Swisstool,its a little hard to cut a thick nail (screws) with a Swisstool because of small cutting area,Leatherman has larger cutting area.BUT!The Leatherman was broken and believe me,guys,I CANT BREAK SWISSTOOL!To cutting a more easy nails and screws I use my Swisstool with vice-grip,I was stand to Swisstool handle (using my foot :))to cutting a screws (I think its tempered steel).....(my weight is 247 lb),.........After that my Swisstool is still working.NOW I KNOW EXACTLY which MULTITOOL is MORE HEAVY DUTY!Its really hard abuse for both Swisstool and Leatherman Surge.Great job Swisstool,VERY,VERY TOUGH and STRONG MULTITOOL,VERY STRONG CONSTRUCTION!

P.S.   I'm not remember exactly  :think:,yeah I think its my 6th broken Surge..... :think:.....)      :salute: 8)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:57:19 AM by CumminsDiesel »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: !!! GREAT SWISSTOOL !!!
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:55 AM
6 broken surges  :o  i have to say i dont abuse my MT's and will use them as a alternative to a main tool if i dont have one, but its cool to see them pushed to see how far they will go, im still not convinced that vics polished drivers are better than LM's but now i have a swisstool ill have to see for my self and i do find the swisstool a bit fiddly, but time will tell i hope, cool test,  :tu:

paul

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:29:24 AM
6 broken surges  :o  i have to say i dont abuse my MT's and will use them as a alternative to a main tool if i dont have one, but its cool to see them pushed to see how far they will go, im still not convinced that vics polished drivers are better than LM's but now i have a swisstool ill have to see for my self and i do find the swisstool a bit fiddly, but time will tell i hope, cool test,  :tu:

paul

Thanks,Zed,I'm not abuse my tools too,but after so many times asking people what multitools is better,stronger and etc.,I make my own test to see a result.Now I know which one.About drivers you right,I like Leatherman drivers,very,very strong!Swisstool drivers is strong enough too but they seems a little more slippery than Leatherman drivers.And one more thing,when I use drivers with Leatherman,the tool itself (frame) is more flex,when you so hard tight a screws,than Swisstool frame.(I use open handles position like - Г ) Before this test I was thinking that Surge frame is more stronger,but.....Swisstool is more resist to flex.Plus I have a ratchet + beats,great addition for extra torque.Great tools and both is very good multitools,but Victorinox made just one great tool (Swisstool) and do an excellent job!How many Leatherman's models we see,how many we know,some of them discontinue,more NEW again...And how many Swisstool's we know (Spirit is same,just small size) - just ONE,and still surprised us!  :salute:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:41:19 AM by CumminsDiesel »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:32:58 AM
Blimey, you do go through Surges don't you? A week ago you'd only broken 4:

Hi guys!What you think,what is most unbreakable,tough multitol?I see a lot of Leatherman broken multitool (pliers and etc),also a SOG,less Swisstool.So what you think?I personally think its Swisstool,because I have 5th SURGE,now not abuse it so,because its so easy to break it (handles,pliers).

You start quite a few threads on this subject too :)
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:41:30 AM

Hi guys!What you think,what is most unbreakable,tough multitol?I see a lot of Leatherman broken multitool (pliers and etc),also a SOG,less Swisstool.So what you think?I personally think its Swisstool,because I have 5th SURGE,now not abuse it so,because its so easy to break it (handles,pliers).

ive not read any others dave, ill have to have a look,  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:42:48 AM
If you've got time on your hands Paul, why not  :-X

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:50:38 AM

:D I just forget how many Surge's I broken  :).In Monday I sent it to replace my broken Surge.Everyone in post office "knows" me  :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:52:49 AM by CumminsDiesel »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:59:49 AM
If you've got time on your hands Paul, why not  :-X

today no dave  :D as very busy, soon  :)

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 01:57:47 PM

I agree LMs are junk, now if you will send me all your LMs we both will be happy! :D

[/q

:D I just forget how many Surge's I broken  :).In Monday I sent it to replace my broken Surge.Everyone in post office "knows" me  :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 02:23:33 PM
I take it from your description that you're cutting the screws and nails with the wire cutters.  Wouldn't the metal saw/file be a better tool for this, and less abusive?
- Terry

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:55 PM
Sure, the file would be safer, but the whole point of the exercise was to test which tool would break first if used this way. It was a strength test, not something he does regularly (I hope).

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:03:30 PM
Sure, the file would be safer, but the whole point of the exercise was to test which tool would break first if used this way. It was a strength test, not something he does regularly (I hope).

5 or 6 times so far apparently.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:10 PM
lol ive cut nails with my charge before, only the thin ones cant think what there called, i got bored at work :P
I

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:26:20 PM

Exactly!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:06 PM
Hmmm...  :think:
Why cut nails and screws with a wire cutter...? I can't see the point in that except deliberately trying to ruin your tools..
Does Leatherman really fix them on warranty..?

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 10:45:18 PM
Why cut nails and screws with a wire cutter...? I can't see the point in that except deliberately trying to ruin your tools..

i got bored and read you could do it so i tried  :angel: not going to do it again though was just curious
I

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 10:54:59 PM

i got bored and read you could do it so i tried  :angel: not going to do it again though was just curious
Maybe it's just me being a regular boy scout here, but from experince I know thing last longer if used correctly..
Just curious, Where did you read about cutting 4mm nails.?  :think:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 10:56:26 PM
Ive seen it done with the st300's pliers on youtube, thats enough for me just knowing, i wouldnt do it though ,

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 11:03:09 PM
The Surge User's Guide refers to them as Wire cutter and Hard-Wire cutter..  :pok:
No nails mentioned...  ;)

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 11:04:39 PM

Maybe it's just me being a regular boy scout here, but from experince I know thing last longer if used correctly..

somewhere i thought i read about tim doing it :S might be wrong these were only thin nails like a say im going to be quite now before im twaked
I

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 11:15:08 PM

somewhere i thought i read about tim doing it :S might be wrong these were only thin nails like a say im going to be quite now before im twaked
No :twakking: here mate..  ;)
I can understand if it was an emergency, but I got a perfectly good Bahco side cutting plier if I need to cut nails in half..  ;)

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 11:50:02 PM
yeah i tried with my beastly pliers i got managed easier i didnt even have to step on the tool ;)
I

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 12:58:41 AM
OK,here is a pictures and Russian sites  1.http://sldru.livejournal.com/3155.html  and 2. http://sldru.livejournal.com/tag/Тим%20Лезерман%20в%20%22Солдате%20Удачи%22   :) ,Tim Leatherman do same with Charge what I do with Surge.Again,I'm not abuse my tools just do some test how tough and strong is multitool,now I know that.
1911-tim-gvozd-05.jpg
* 1911-tim-gvozd-05.jpg (Filesize: 41.1 KB)
1911-tim-gvozd-03.jpg
* 1911-tim-gvozd-03.jpg (Filesize: 57.79 KB)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:08:21 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 01:05:44 AM
Hmmm...  :think:

I'm not ruin my tools,it fail in hard situation,but not Swisstool.To answer your second question - YES.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:10:29 AM by CumminsDiesel »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 11:46:07 AM
That is not a nail...but a pop rivet. Correct me fi I am wrong, but pop rivets do not have the tensile strength of a nail. Different applications, different quality steel.

Likewise, if you broke 6 tools "testing them" I am surprised that Leatherman is replacing them as you are clearly abusing them outside the parameters of the warranty.

Is there something I am missing out of this?

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 07:06:36 PM
That is not a nail...but a pop rivet. Correct me fi I am wrong, but pop rivets do not have the tensile strength of a nail. Different applications, different quality steel.

Likewise, if you broke 6 tools "testing them" I am surprised that Leatherman is replacing them as you are clearly abusing them outside the parameters of the warranty.

Is there something I am missing out of this?

Oh boy,.....Its a nail,look at picture.
1911-tim-gvozd-01.jpg
* 1911-tim-gvozd-01.jpg (Filesize: 44.62 KB)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:23:26 PM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 07:25:19 PM
Here is nails and screws which I used to cut it with Surge and Swisstool.
_DSC0115.JPG
* _DSC0115.JPG (Filesize: 70 KB)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:26:58 PM by CumminsDiesel »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 07:32:53 PM
I suppose the other thing is why would you cut a screw/nail, i cut bike cables with mine with no problem but wouldnt go any further than that,but then if someone wants to push them then its up to them, iam surprised that LM replace them as it does state abuse i think on there policy,   

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 07:42:08 PM
I

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 07:44:48 PM
I suppose the other thing is why would you cut a screw/nail, i cut bike cables with mine with no problem but wouldnt go any further than that,but then if someone wants to push them then its up to them, iam surprised that LM replace them as it does state abuse i think on there policy,   

thebullfrog gives an answer on page 1: " but the whole point of the exercise was to test which tool would break first if used this way. It was a strength test, not something he does regularly"
   Thats "WHY". :salute:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:49:15 PM by CumminsDiesel »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24