Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no gerber forum?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Why no gerber forum?
on: August 18, 2007, 10:37:15 PM
Hi guy's,

It's occured to me that we don't have a gerber forum, why is that?

Although I've never had one of there multi's I've had/used quite a few of there knives and axes, and while there not always of the highest quality, they've been fairly robust and workman like :)

Plus there multi's seem to be genuinely innovative these days, with lots of new models appearing all the time.

I just wondered seeing as leatherman, sog and both victorinox and wenger are being represented, why gerber arnt, or are they just not as popular with the good folks here compared to the other manufacturers ??? ??? ???

I'm not having a dig at anyone just curious ;) ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Why no gerber forum?
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 11:25:26 PM
This has been asked a few times before but there really doesn't seem like a huge amount of interest in Gerber tools- at least not enough to justify a specific forum.

Of course I am open to the possibility so if anyone wants to make a good case for it, I'll be happy to hear it.

Of course it would also be nice if Gerber would reciprocate with some support like SOG, Wenger and Leatherman have.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:34:06 AM
This has been asked a few times before but there really doesn't seem like a huge amount of interest in Gerber tools- at least not enough to justify a specific forum.

Of course I am open to the possibility so if anyone wants to make a good case for it, I'll be happy to hear it.

Of course it would also be nice if Gerber would reciprocate with some support like SOG, Wenger and Leatherman have.

Def
Fair enough, I just wondered that all :)

As i said I,ve never had one of there multi's so I cant comment on the reasons for there lack of popularity here :)

thanks for the reply mate

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 01:22:41 PM
No worries.  It wasn't my lack of interest in Gerbers that resulted in them not having a forum here, it was mostly a desire to concentrate discussions as much as possible so we have as few "dead" forums as we can while still being somewhat diverse. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 02:59:11 PM
  I think there's more than a few satisfied Gerber owners.My armchair multi is a Gerber 600.Gerbers get shouted down by LM and Vic fans,sure Gerbers aren't the best,and like any multi are good stuff as long as you stay within their limitations.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:14:35 PM
Good point Bob.  I personally don't have anything against Gerber tools.  In fact, I have written very good reviews of several of their models like the Solstice and the ever popular Clutch.

Really, it's boiled down to a need or lack thereof for a Gerber forum.  If there are any Gerber fans out there that particularly want a Gerber forum I can open one in seconds. 

Anyone else want to see a Gerber Forum?

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 05:20:32 PM
maybe it would be helpful in stimulating debate about gerbers, since atm the general forum is the most suitable place, but a specific forum might get more discussion going, new threads, etc.

Maybe it is time there was a Gerber forum Def  :)

Offline damota

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 07:07:40 PM

Nowt wrong with gate crashing the other forums when something Gerber needs to be said. I have done that since the start of M.org, I do not think I would know what to do in a Gerber only forum.  :ahhh

Dave

Mind if there was a Gerber forum get all the classic stuff Bob has wrote on the history of Gerber into the thread Def. Please.

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:17:16 PM
maybe it would be helpful in stimulating debate about gerbers, since atm the general forum is the most suitable place, but a specific forum might get more discussion going, new threads, etc.

Oh god what have I started :o ;) :D

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:10:10 PM
If there are any Gerber fans
Def

Not that I am a fan, but now the proud new owner of a Gerber Freehand as a result of the Multitool EDC SWAP, I would like to see one and what type of activity it generates.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 09:31:46 PM
  I think there's more than a few satisfied Gerber owners.My armchair multi is a Gerber 600.Gerbers get shouted down by LM and Vic fans,sure Gerbers aren't the best,and like any multi are good stuff as long as you stay within their limitations.

Unfortunately, similar behavior occurs in other flashlight and knife forums.  A favorable post about an inexpensive Gerber knife that provided me great utility for years of use and abuse, drew responses along these lines:
-"Gerber is China-made junk, period!"
-"Gerber used to be decent, now all they sell is crap."
-"Gerber steel sucks, get a real knife."
etc. etc.

Same thing happens with Gerber flashlights.

IMHO, Gerber does offer some less than stellar knives, flashlights, and multis - but, Gerber also offers some very good products in all three categories.

One reason for this is the sheer number of new and different models Gerber offers.  Their multitool line is incredibly varied, with over a dozen variants of just the MP600 currently available.

Gerber also offers lots of "great bang for the buck" products, which typically offer 90 to 95 percent of the utility of higher-end products, but at a quarter to half their prices.

I too would like to see a Gerber forum on MTO, and suggested as much in a post some time ago.

N

Offline AJ

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:18:58 AM

Gerber SUCKS!!

>:D

;D :D
[

Offline supratentorial

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 12:38:56 AM
I'll admit that I don't like some of the new Gerbers (e.g. Suspension) but I like the ones with the sliding pliers  You guys are making me feel sorta bad since I have an early Gerber (a collectors item in my opinion) up for grabs in the exchange--this thread is making me regret participating.

Are you guys really only interested in discussing Leatherman and Victorinox multi-tools.  That's about as much fun as a mud pit without the bikini clad women!  ::) 

Gerber SUCKS!!

:twak:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 02:01:29 AM
Are you guys really only interested in discussing Leatherman and Victorinox multi-tools

I don't think we have ever restricted any discussion of any brands?

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 02:50:17 AM
Are you guys really only interested in discussing Leatherman and Victorinox multi-tools

I don't think we have ever restricted any discussion of any brands?

Def

I didn't think I was implying anything about restrictions.  I wish there was more interest in Gerber and other brands.  In my opinion the Gerber Diesel has one of the best wire cutters of any multi-tool (second only to the PT-525).  If you're cutting wire, the Leatherman Charge "sucks" in comparison to the Gerber Diesel.  That's not saying that the Leatherman Charge is a bad tool--I wouldn't have one if it wasn't any good.  I'm just saying that Gerber is definately not the bottom of the barrel and its a shame they aren't better appreciated.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 03:03:30 AM
I want to make certain that just because there's no dedicated Gerber forum (yet!) doesn't mean that we don't encourage Gerber discussion and comments. 

I just never saw it as enough to justify a special forum.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 03:56:04 PM
Given the interest that folks have shown in a Gerber Forum, I decided to open one up and see what happens. 

If you want to talk Gerbers, it's the place to go now!

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 05:41:42 AM
and Here is the birth of the Gerber Forum :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 12:01:02 PM
Once again I was wrong, and happy to be wrong.  The Gerber forum has enough of a life of its own that it was well justified.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 12:02:16 PM
Schrade forum ??   :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 12:05:28 PM

Better yet Taylor Cutlery >:D :whistle:

Once again I was wrong, and happy to be wrong.  The Gerber forum has enough of a life of its own that it was well justified.

Def

Twas a good decision indeed :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 12:07:41 PM

Better yet Taylor Cutlery >:D :whistle:

Is there any other Schrade?   ???

:D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 01:09:55 PM
Sure... we could call it the :serverloft: Forum, and it could go right below the Cheapo Forum....

:facepalm:

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 01:12:17 PM
a subforum, in a subforum, like a secret club for the enlightened, the better, the hipsters...

I Applaud it !!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 01:32:56 PM
Another reason why mto is the best. The best companies listen to their customers. Other places can learn from MTO.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 01:40:31 PM
a subforum, in a subforum, like a secret club for the enlightened, the better, the hipsters...

I Applaud it !!

:think: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 01:41:52 PM
Sure... we could call it the :serverloft: Forum, and it could go right below the Cheapo Forum....

:facepalm:

Def

La la la la la la la la la la la :whistle: :whistle: Man that is a hard sound to type out :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 03:40:52 PM
I have openly (and personally) challenged them to provide a tool or knife that wasn't crap for review, to prove me wrong.  I will happily admit I was wrong and give them the praise they deserve, should such a day ever happen.

However, they have never taken me up on that, and until they do I will continue to point out how crappy they are.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 03:57:10 PM
I have openly (and personally) challenged them to provide a tool or knife that wasn't crap for review, to prove me wrong.  I will happily admit I was wrong and give them the praise they deserve, should such a day ever happen.

However, they have never taken me up on that, and until they do I will continue to point out how crappy they are.

Def

Yeah I know you have had "love" for Taylor Tool Brands as long back as I can remember  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 01:12:14 AM
That's only because they have been manufacturing items from hardened monkey droppings for as long as I can remember.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%