Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A couple of DIY accessories

Andreas · 32 · 10530

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
A couple of DIY accessories
on: July 18, 2010, 08:48:06 PM
Just came across the site, been a Leatherman user for years and lately been using a Skeletool CX (also have a normal Skeletool, broke the pliers and didn't realize how awesome LM's service was until someone tipped me off to send it in).

Still going through thread and reading what's going on here, but in the mean time I thought I'd post a couple of the accessories I've made for my Skeletool.

The first one is from back when I only had the normal Skeletool. I didn't have a bit driver, and so I made one and posted it on my blog: http://andreasodegard.com/2009/08/diy-full-size-bit-adapter-for-leatherman-flat-bit/

I very much doubt that one is anything new, but still...

When I got the CX I also got a original bit adapter with it, and needed a way to carry it and the bits at work. The result was a holder made from random parts including a cheap folding knife, which I still use to hold the bit adapter and normal hex bits: http://andreasodegard.com/2010/01/diy-bit-holder-with-belt-clip/

The most recent is a spanner add-on for the CX, which lets me carry a 19mm spanner attachment on my key chain and clip it in when I need it at work: http://andreasodegard.com/2010/07/leatherman-combination-spanner-mod/

From what I've seen on YouTube and other places, at least that one might have a chance of being unique- but it works great!

More pics and info on the links. I hope they aren't taken as spam, it's just not practical to copy/paste all of it here

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: A couple of DIY accessories
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:40:48 PM
Welcome Andreas

Some nice ideas there Mate, you are going to fit right in here  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:09:01 PM
I saw Shorty66's Skelesurge mod and thought it was awesome since I need a saw for my Skeletool. My current job (summer job, I'm a student) ends in 2 weeks though (worked there for 7 years) so making a t-shank holder seemed a bit extreme for just that. I therefor made one that fit into the bit holder instead, real quick and dirty job that gave me something that will work for the two weeks required. Just going to copy my blog post since it also has the story of how I found this place: http://andreasodegard.com/2010/07/leatherman-sawblade-add-on/

I saw this “mod” on YouTube a while back, tried it, and failed. Today I found a new site specifically for multitools that had a lot of modding inspiration and it made my try again – and succeed.

By pure chance I ran across multitool.org today while watching Survivorman. The show is about a guy that goes out to survive for 7 days all alone in various wildernesses around the world, kind of like Man VS Wild just real (no giant camera team following him). My curious nature made me google for info on how the guy got power for his cameras (solar cells, carry batteries, etc) and by pure coincidence one of the link I found lead to a forum where one post mentioned the site. Besides some nice info on the main page, there’s a very active forum where there’s a dedicated section for modding. After reading through the Skeletool threads I found an awesome mod that added a t-shank holder (that can hild jigsaw blades) to the Skeletool. I’ve wanted a saw on the thing on several occasions and this solution seemed awesome. Unfortunately since I only need the saw for two more weeks at work, I didn’t want something as complicated, but it did give me motivation to try a simpler solution again, something I tried a couple of weeks ago and failed.

This time the result is very usable. Basically I cut off one of the hooks of the jigsaw blade so it would fit into the Skeletool bit holder and stick in the system that’s there to hold the bits in place. I put some electrical tape and heatshrink around the part that’s between the metal pieces of the carabiner part of the Skeletool so that it would clamp the blad and stop it from jiggling. To finish it off I made a holder using some plastic sheets and duct tape. Very “ghetto” looking, but it works, and I don’t need it for long. aybe I’ll try the Skelesurge method just for the sake of it, though DIY projects will be hard to do once I move in a few weeks.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:30:23 PM
Welcome to MTO. You have some groovy ideas  :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:37:08 PM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:

Great mods you've done there.  If you don't mind I'll move this thread over into the Mod Squad section :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:44:08 PM
Yeah unfortunately I didn't see this section of the forum until after I'd posted the thread, sorry

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:45:40 PM
Not a problem. Hopefully we'll get to see some more of your handiwork here :)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 11:50:34 PM
Not a problem. Hopefully we'll get to see some more of your handiwork here :)
+1  :tu:

And welcome Andreas...  :cheers:

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:04 AM
Great work :salute:
welcome to the forum :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:00:42 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 07:31:41 AM
Welcome aboard mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 10:30:16 AM
Just for the sake of being a geek, here's a pic of the spanner mod in use literally as this is posted. Picture taken, uploaded and posted with my iPhone from the field <3

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 10:34:32 AM
 :pok: Geek  :ahhh  :D

Very cool ;) :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 04:42:50 AM
Good stuff Andreas, thanks for sharing! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 12:37:17 PM
Ooh, we like action shots!  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 02:09:18 PM
Couple of more action shots taken today

The spanner makes the LM look like a Kunai when the blade is extended xD
Kunai: http://www.theconcentrium.com/mike/Comm/kunai/0Kunai.jpg

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 06:16:35 PM
I know I said I wouldn't, but I was bored and looking at the Skelesurge thread again, and one thing lead to another...

I need some stuff from work to finish it, will do that tomorrow. It's going to be a t-shank adapter for the bit holder, not be part of the tool itself

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 07:41:19 PM
Great mods and pic's Andreas,and welcome to the forums. :cheers:& :salute:

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 02:53:02 PM
Finished the t-shank adapter and it's working great:

Copied from my blog: http://andreasodegard.com/2010/07/leatherman-skeletool-t-shank-adapter/

About a week ago I posted a saw blade mod for my Leatherman Skeletool and said that I didn’t want a complicated solution like where I got the idea from, just something simple. Well, that didn’t last long…

Basically this project was done more out of boredom than actually needing the finished product, but at least inventing Leatherman accessories is more productive than playing Call of Duty all day. This thing is a t-shank adapter that lets me use anything with a t-shank on my Leatherman Skeletool. T-shank is the connector type of most jigsaw blades and you can also get official Leatherman accessories (saw and file) that uses this connector, as some of the models actually come with t-shank holders. My use will be jigsaw blades, creating a saw add-on for the Skeletool that is a bit more solid and reliable than my previous version.

The adapter basically consists of three metal plates: one that fits into the bit holder on the Skeletool and acts as the back plate for the adapter, the middle plate that has the t-shank cut-out that the jigsaw blade rests in and a front plate that holds the blade in place. The two first plates are glued together, and all three plates are held together with two small bolts. A third bolt and nut goes through a hole in the Skeletool’s carabiner to hold it in place when sawing. I had originally intended to have that bolt fit into a hole in the bit driver part (hence the hole you see there in the picture) but this worked so much better.

It’s not as quick to change blades as the mod I saw on multitool.org, but it’s solid and I have the tools on my Leatherman to change blades if needed (though I doubt that’ll be a common thing).

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 04:21:20 PM
Update to my spanner add-on. The final design that seems to work best includes a hole int he spanner and a bolt with a magnet that locks the spanner to the carabiner part of the Skeletool. This holds it firmly in place and is easy to take off/put on. The magnetic bolt has a ring on itso it can sit on the carabiner on my keychainas well as on the carabiner on the Skeletool to keep it from falling off.

Also did a quick mod to the double phillips head bit that comes with the Skeletool. Made one side a combined notched prying tool and flathead driver, so I can keep that in the handle of the Skeletool and leave the bit driver without anything in it (since that's where my accessories go, and I use those more than the bits.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 07:37:16 PM
did you really grind down that entire spanner?  How do you make your accessories?

Good work :salute:

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 07:42:54 PM
Well I cut it off at the appropriate length before grinding the bit shape with a sanding disc. The other accessories are made using the same tools: angle grinder with cutting and sanding disc, Dremel with cutting discs and various sanding gear, and various sanders (belt sander and precision belt sander)

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 03:57:59 PM
Hey!
Nice T-shank holder you made there.

Did you notice my post about modifying the Bitholder itself to hold -tshank blades?
Its quite easy and works like a charm.

T - `cause i like tea :)

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 04:02:23 PM
Yeah I saw that, but I didn't really want to mess with the bit driver and I don't have that much faith in that lever. This thing is very solid and guarantees that the blade doesn't suddenly run off with the wood  :ahhh

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 07:44:48 PM
I found the lever to be solid enough for my tasks - its a preparedness thing for me and i dont really use the saw regularly. I came to think that my solution should be strong enough to be used regularly though.
T - `cause i like tea :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 07:54:02 PM
welcome mate and some great ideas there, i love making mods for the bit adapters too, i like the saw idea and as everyone is out saturday and im clearing out my shed to build a new one i might have a go making a saw mod for my wave,  :tu:

Paul

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 08:50:16 PM
welcome mate and some great ideas there, i love making mods for the bit adapters too, i like the saw idea and as everyone is out saturday and im clearing out my shed to build a new one i might have a go making a saw mod for my wave,  :tu:

Paul

but it already has 2 saws :P
I

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 08:58:56 PM

Paul

but it already has 2 saws :P

yeah i know ryan but a better metal saw  :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 09:28:08 PM
maybe your be able to do something like bob did but with a dremel  :think: have you seen his saws
I

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 09:35:33 PM
maybe your be able to do something like bob did but with a dremel  :think: have you seen his saws

yeah i have ryan, ill have a go Saturday  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD