Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My current penlights .

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
My current penlights .
on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:34 PM
I use penlights a lot , mainly for looking into holes , hollows etc . A small head , and low power are a distinct advantage . ATM , I'm carry two old friends , the AAAA Steamlight Stylus , and the Stylus reach . The Reach is very handy , due to the flexable shaft that allows hands free hanging - very handy when trying to hook and grab a fishtape , and similar minor surguries .

After several  bad experiences with lower end clicky switches , I like the pushy/twisty combination on the original Stylus . The AAAA batts are a bit of a PITA to find , but they last a good while . I'm lucky to have a good source for them .

Chris
P8200137.jpg
* P8200137.jpg (Filesize: 71.69 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: My current penlights .
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:00:14 PM
I'm really not sure if I like the format of pen lights :think:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:20:25 PM
Mike , couldn't agree with you more for EDC , in that role I prefer the 1xCR123 lites . For me they are task lites , often used in very confined spaces , and for dumb stuff like reading obscure terminal designations , etc inside panels , looking for fishes etc .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:15:45 PM
For specific tasks like that there probably pretty good then :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:56 PM
For some reason I've rather grown too like the penlight format as well.  This is the one that's been getting used quite a lot at work recently.  It's a re-branded Dorcy light.

When I've scrapped together a touch of cash I'm planning on getting a slightly better spec light.  Looking at either the Eagletac PN20a2 or the 4sevens Preon 2.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 01:37:24 AM
I, too, like penlights and sometimes use the brighter penlights as daytime EDC lights.  They are a joy to carry in a shirt pocket.

My favorites include the Fenix LD05 and Streamlight Stylus Pro.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:12:34 AM
The Stylus Pro is a good light concept wise . But... I had one pocket clip break , and the clicky scitch on mine crapped out after about 4 months of service . If I'm carrying something of less than stellar quality , give me a twisty every time .

Chris

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: My current penlights
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:15:25 PM
Hmm... what to buy the gynaecologist who has everything  :D

I quite fancy a Preon but can't find an excuse for one!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 02:46:13 AM
I use penlights a lot , mainly for looking into holes , hollows etc . A small head , and low power are a distinct advantage . ATM , I'm carry two old friends , the AAAA Steamlight Stylus , and the Stylus reach . The Reach is very handy , due to the flexable shaft that allows hands free hanging - very handy when trying to hook and grab a fishtape , and similar minor surguries .

After several  bad experiences with lower end clicky switches , I like the pushy/twisty combination on the original Stylus . The AAAA batts are a bit of a PITA to find , but they last a good while . I'm lucky to have a good source for them .

Chris

If you didn't have a good source already I would say:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-65030-Stylus-Replacement-Batteries/dp/B0000AUSOI/ref=wl_mb_recs_3_dp

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:14:28 AM
Chrissy , I have a Welch Allen medical penlight from back in the day . Cost an arm an a leg , I no longer carry it ,as it's an incan , and doesn't like to be dropped . Another good incan penlight is the venerable AAA minimag , good shirt pocket carry . I wish the would come up with an LED version , or an aftermarket LED drop in .

Back in the day ( prior to my discovering the Surefire 6P in the ninties ) , I used to sport a AA Minimag on the belt , and a AAA in the breast pocket . I can tell you from a very bitter experience , that changing bulbs in incan Minis , under conditions of total darkness = near impossability !

In those palmy far off days 4 and 5 cell Maglites were just a politically correct baton . I obsoleted mine , as a contribution to public saftey back in the ninties . ( I discovered Casco and ASP collapseable batons about the same time as I discovered the Surefire 6P )

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:22:11 PM
TerraLUX do a drop-in for the AAA mini-maglite. 

http://www.terraluxcorp.com/terralux/Products/Portable/Upgrades/TLE20/tabid/80/Default.aspx

While it claims 36 lumen I'm a little doubtful myself.  Still, it's a bit brighter than the original lamp and you should never need to change a lamp in the dark again. :D

I do have one of these and think it's OK, not brilliant, but OK.  If you really liked the AAA mini and want to use it again then go for it, but unless you're a sentimental sod like me it's probably worth saving your penny's.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:34 PM
id quite like to get a penlight someday i think id go for the fenix though just because i like my other one so much
I

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:40 PM
id quite like to get a penlight someday i think id go for the fenix though just because i like my other one so much

Oi, Didn't you get a short one a few days ago?  :pok:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:48 PM
yeah :D but i didnt count it as a penlight as its not pen shaped   :P thus giving me an excuse to get a penlight  :angel:

and yes i do love that little torch i used it for finding my house and the lock on the door coming home one friday after a fair few pints  :drink:

oh and i used it at work :D
I

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:55:46 PM
yeah :D but i didnt count it as a penlight as its not pen shaped   :P thus giving me an excuse to get a penlight  :angel:

and yes i do love that little torch i used it for finding my house and the lock on the door coming home one friday after a fair few pints  :drink:

oh and i used it at work :D

You are forgiven then  :D

I love them little things, so cheap it doesn't matter too much if you loose it in a cavity,
And godchildren etc love them  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 04:16:31 PM
I love my Preon 2.  If I had only one small EDC pocket light, the Preon 2 would be it. 
When In doubt, C4

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 08:36:02 PM
I've started liking penlights a lot.... mainly because of their slim profiles and therefore being inconspicuous in tight pants' pockets in the summer. I've had the Fenix LD05 for about a month and a half and the Preon 2.... for a day and a half :D Some random pics of my happy couple :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 08:46:28 PM
Nice lights. 2x AAA I assume?
SAW

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 09:08:51 PM
Yes, 2x AAA :)

us Offline sawman

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 09:11:43 PM
I don't know if it qualifies as a pen light but I like my Streamlight C4 quite a bit.

SAW

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
Lol, once I think I tried to give a definition of a "penlight", but failed. Does it have to have 2x AAA necessarily? To me it always looked so, but then I saw that years ago Fenix had an LD03, using 1 AAA and called a penlight...

And as for the Streamlight, I like it, too, though I haven't had it. I like AAA lights... and I think I'm converting to clickies, lol. I used to have different twisties at different times, but I've liked clickies more and more recently.

us Offline sawman

Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 09:20:12 PM
Lol, once I think I tried to give a definition of a "penlight", but failed. Does it have to have 2x AAA necessarily? To me it always looked so, but then I saw that years ago Fenix had an LD03, using 1 AAA and called a penlight...

And as for the Streamlight, I like it, too, though I haven't had it. I like AAA lights... and I think I'm converting to clickies, lol. I used to have different twisties at different times, but I've liked clickies more and more recently.
I have both twisties and clickies but my favorites as of late of the clickies. It's easier for OH operation. My C4 is a single AAA. My wife has an old Leatherman LED light that uses a AAA and she uses it daily. We can hardly keep AAA stocked, in fact, we buy them in bulk! :)
SAW

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 09:24:19 PM
Why don't you use rechargeables? Seems to be more cost-effective  :drool:

us Offline sawman

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 09:54:52 PM
Why don't you use rechargeables? Seems to be more cost-effective  :drool:
For a couple reasons:

1) I've heard bad things about them such as they don't hold as much of a charge
2) Once charged, it's hard to keep them separated from the uncharged ones
SAW

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 10:00:30 PM
Eneloops hold charge...  :think: But actually, I use my lights a lot as lamps at night, so maybe I don't really need that much of a shelf-life, as perhaps I go through most of my batteries for a week or two.

And some of the cool gift boxes that a lot of lights come in are cool for keeping batteries :D I use the cute boxes from my Olight i3s-es for batteries...

and I usually charge the dead ones immediately and don't have more than 2 empty ones at a time.

us Offline sawman

Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:35 PM
Eneloops hold charge...  :think: But actually, I use my lights a lot as lamps at night, so maybe I don't really need that much of a shelf-life, as perhaps I go through most of my batteries for a week or two.

And some of the cool gift boxes that a lot of lights come in are cool for keeping batteries :D I use the cute boxes from my Olight i3s-es for batteries...

and I usually charge the dead ones immediately and don't have more than 2 empty ones at a time.
You nearly have me convinced... I'm still on the fence though  ;)
SAW

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 12:42:32 AM
I use the streamlight aaa versions. The single is with me all the time and the double is my edc at work. It has been fantastic for me and has survived being dropped in oil and used everyday for 3 years. Great light IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like bowls, they contain chaos.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 02:46:55 AM

You nearly have me convinced... I'm still on the fence though  ;)

Eneloops are very good. All my AA/AAA lights have them.

http://us.sanyo.com/eneloop/About-eneloop-Batteries

Alkalines can leak and ruin a light, so I only use them as an emergency option.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline Max Archer

Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 09:25:47 AM
I picked up a Coast A9R today for use in the shop. It's the size and shape of a long-ish pen, very slim, and has a rechargeable battery that can be charged without removing it from the light or opening any ports, which is pretty cool. The beam pattern is nice too, super even and sharp-edged, like an LED lenser.

The shop I work at does a lot of suspension and chassis work, especially fixing cracking subframe mounts and shock towers, which are extremely common issues on the E36 and E46 BMW M3s we specialize in, and this should be perfect for inspecting those areas. I'll report back once it's gotten some use.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:38 PM
Nice job on the thread resurrection.   :)

I was a flashlight junkie long before I got into guns, knives, MTs and SAKs.  My lights get used more than anything else.  For a long time, the Streamlight ProTac 2AAA has been my primary EDC light.  It is 1 - bright, 2 - has a long runtime, 3 - has a strobe, and 4 - rides nicely in a little pen pocket on my 5.11 Taclite Pro pants.  I feed it with Eneloop rechargeable batteries for "free" light.

Streamlight ProTac 2AAA, with Shrade "tactical" pen, S&W Shield 9mm, Spyderco Police, mini Sharpie, PS4 and Classic SD.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%