Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My current penlights .

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My current penlights .
Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 10:10:53 PM
Why don't you use rechargeables? Seems to be more cost-effective  :drool:
For a couple reasons:

1) I've heard bad things about them such as they don't hold as much of a charge
2) Once charged, it's hard to keep them separated from the uncharged ones

As for #1...  I think you'll be amazed at the better runtime and more consistent output you'll get from an Eneloop over an alkaline.  Even after sitting on a shelf for a year, an Eneloop will still be at 85% charge, and will still give you as much runtime as a new alkaline.

#2 has some easy workarounds.  Use two different bins if you have a lot of them (charged/depleted), or just buy two pair, keep the charged cells in the charger (unplugged), then when you swap them out, charge them immediately and repeat.
- Terry

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 09:16:53 PM
Pelican recently introduced 2-level versions of the 1920 (2AAA) and 1910 (1AAA) penlights and they are winners.

I've been using the new version Pelicans in place of my Streamlights lately because the Pelicans are brighter and provide the flexibility of having 2 brightness levels from which to choose.

If you like penlights with momentary action, forward clicky tail switches, check out the new Pelicans.    Be selective when ordering so you don't get the older versions instead.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 09:23:00 PM
Penlights with momentary on?? Didn't know they existed... :drool:

And, hey, is this 120 lumens for nearly three hours on 2 x aa batteries ?!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:56 PM
Penlights with momentary on?? Didn't know they existed... :drool:

And, hey, is this 120 lumens for nearly three hours on 2 x aa batteries ?!

I am still using the first set of batteries (Energizer Ultimate lithium primaries) and haven't determined the runtime yet.

Hope the new Pelicans are available in your country.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 07:19:39 PM
Looks like new Pelican ( bi level ) 1920 , for the win !

While you can't defrost steaks with them , I've always found Pelis. to be solid products . Thanks for the heads up !

Chris

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 12:39:14 AM
The Pelican could really benefit from a strobe like the Streamlight ProTac 2AAA, IMO, though I know that a lot of guys don't care for the strobe.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 12:55:41 AM
The Pelican could really benefit from a strobe like the Streamlight ProTac 2AAA, IMO, though I know that a lot of guys don't care for the strobe.

The strobe was my chief complaint about the ProTac 2AAA.  I have to endure strobe mode before getting the ProTac into low brightness mode. The current version ProTac 2AAA does not include the "Ten Tap" programming option of the more expensive Streamlight models.

I wouldn't mind a strobe mode if it could be hidden.

If you don't require strobe mode, the new dual level Pelican 1920 is a better choice.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 09:17:19 PM
Being a senile old bugger , I want high and low , cant see much use for the strobe . IIRC , disco died back in the seventies .

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 07:00:03 PM
While I do see a couple of uses for a strobe mode, I also think it's one of the most overused 'features' to be found on LED lights.  So while I like taking a strobe capable light out on hikes with me, I don't personally want to have to deal with a stobe ever single time I want to have a little brightness in my life. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 07:31:51 PM
Yes, I've also never used strobe... unless I just wanna play with the light. Moreover, if we're talking about penlights here, they're usually carried by people in shirts, that is mostly formal setting... so why do you need strobe in your office? Of course, there can always be exceptions. But mostly, I guess, the strobe setting adds to the "cool"ness of the light and increases the price. I'm pretty sure that nowadays there are people who do not consider a light complete if it doesn't offer also strobe.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 02:35:27 PM
I agree that "tactical strobes" are over done. I'd much rather have a "beacon" or "SOS" mode that offers long run times. I'm much more likely to be needing help than disorienting an attacker at night.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 08:06:10 PM
I just bought a Mini Mag 2xAAA . It's pretty powerfull , much better than the Stylus Pro , and less artifact than my Led Lenser PH4. I still want to get the Peli. 1920 .

Tactical strobes are B.S. , for outdoor emergencies , I would prefer three flashes , and a pause . Three of anything is the international distress signal , be it gun shots , flashes , small fires , etc .

Chris
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:08:33 PM by Styerman »

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 10:21:34 PM
I just bought a Mini Mag 2xAAA . It's pretty powerfull , much better than the Stylus Pro , and less artifact than my Led Lenser PH4. I still want to get the Peli. 1920 ....

:2tu:  The Mini Maglite 2AAA LED is remarkably thin and bright -- a heck of a deal for the $14 - $18 street price.  The local Target store was clearing them out for $8.48 last March.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 01:49:03 AM
My trials and tribulations are documented on the forum somewhere, but when I did finally get my hands on a 2xAAA maglite I have to say I was very happy with it. :)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 07:24:33 PM
I've got AA and AAA , not to mention AAAA covered . I have a 1xCR123 on my belt ( today a Surefire E1B ) , I have several to choose from .

I have an ARC AAA-P in a loop on my pocket notebook .

All bases well covered !

Chris

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 05:09:08 PM
These may qualify. 2 2AAA torches and 1 2AA torch. The 2AA one is my main in-house night light.

I got the Maglite working again yesterday.
IMG_20140605_203244.jpg
* IMG_20140605_203244.jpg (Filesize: 91.88 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 06:49:44 PM
I gave away some older and lower power penlights and bought a new Nite-Ize Inova XP 2AAA 144/30 lumen penlight:

These are the 2AAA penlights I use:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 11:07:18 AM
I like the look of that new Inova Parnass. :)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 11:18:06 AM
If it's a penlight and is shorter than the average penlights, it's always good :tu:

Having had the Olight O'Pen penlight and the Preon P2, though, the lumens don't impress me :think:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 05:04:48 PM
I like the Inova XP.   I was initially disappointed that the Inova XP runtime in high mode was only about 70 minutes using Eneloop NiMH batteries.   

But, then I measured the runtime of my favorite Pelican 1920 and found it had about the same runtime.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 09:01:50 PM
I like the Inova XP.   I was initially disappointed that the Inova XP runtime in high mode was only about 70 minutes using Eneloop NiMH batteries.   

But, then I measured the runtime of my favorite Pelican 1920 and found it had about the same runtime.

Uninterrupted runtime or with pauses? The runtimes are usually longer if you give the battery time to rest like in actual use conditions. I rarely need a flashlight to run on full blast for longer than a few minutes. 

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 10:30:54 PM
... Uninterrupted runtime or with pauses? ...

For simplicity, my metric for measuring runtime involves continuous, uninterrupted operation.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%