+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Forum > Sheaths, Bags, Packs and Carry Methods

Fixed Blade Sheath Carry: Dangerous??

Pages: (1/4) > >>

sergemaster:

Amici,
As I was doing some research about the proper length for a leg tie for a fixed blade knife, I ran into quite a few folks who were also ex-military claiming that anyone who wore a fixed blade anchored to their belt was taking their life into their hands, here's a snippet of what one ex-medic posted a few years ago in another forum on the subject and what he encountered on numerous occasions:

"As far as attaching a sheath knife to my leg anchored to my belt, I would just as soon walk around with a cocked and locked 1911 in my mouth.

If you are going to carry a fixed blade knife put it some where that it cannot turn around on you. Taped to a shoulder strap, taped to the inside back panel of a backpack, taped to the inside aspect of a boot. TAPE is the key word here. A fast access utility knife resides folded in your front or rear pocket and can be drawn and opened with one hand (preferably BOTH hands)

I cannot tell you how many folks I have had to fix that sat on, or fell on, or leaned into, or squatted down on their bayonet or Rambo knife.  Had a young Marine long time ago with a big Rambo knife in a nylon sheath squat down and shoved the blade through the sheath into his calf, when he stood up it filleted the whole thing open including the arteries.  I used Quick Clot on that one, plus TWO tourniquets as well as a medical evac helicopter.  I saw him about 6 months ago, he had the big scar on his calf covered by a tattoo of a zipper and had the top pierced with a ring and a YKK zipper pull for added effect. 

Down the side was printed " "F***ing' Doc!" " as in "F***ing' Doc told me not to...", I got a free beer, handshake, smile and a thank you, bill paid."

Now I was also in the military as well as an avid outdoorsman and have carried some sort of sheath knife on my service/trouser belt many times with no issues, so I found this claim to be rather interesting yet relevant since such an injury occuring does fall into the realm of possibility.. 

Has anyone here ever been injured or have known someone two has been while wearing a fixed blade sheath knife on ones own belt?

Cheers,
Serge

Mike, Lord of the Spammers!:

I can see that being a potential problem, but I've never known anyone have that problem, certainly I never have :)

Chako:

With a cheap nylon sheath...yes. With a good quality leather one, I would think not.

markn951:

Why take the risk though? I don't see a problem with shoulder carry...

Mike, Lord of the Spammers!:

--- Quote from: markn951 on September 04, 2010, 03:45:49 AM ---Why take the risk though? I don't see a problem with shoulder carry...

--- End quote ---
Hardly discrete though is it :-\

Baldrick carry's good though :)

Pages: (1/4) > >>

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85