+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Forum > Sheaths, Bags, Packs and Carry Methods

Fixed Blade Sheath Carry: Dangerous??

Pages: << < (2/4) > >>

jzmtl:

--- Quote from: markn951 on September 04, 2010, 03:45:49 AM ---Why take the risk though? I don't see a problem with shoulder carry...

--- End quote ---

Same reason you get in a car everyday even thou you might crash and die, the risk is small enough.

This is the first time I heard anything like this, if you have a quality thick sheath I can't see how it could, but with those cheap one layer nylon sheath all bets are off.

Gareth:

Never managed it nor heard of it being done.  As said before a good quality sheath shouldn't let that happen. 

sergemaster:

Amici,
I've been thinking about how this sort of accident could have happened, and the only scenario I can think of is that the Jarhead in question must have had his LBE belt unbuckled causing any individual equipment not secured to the belt with ALICE clips to slide down, behind, and under him..

Now if this was the case, why he didn't constantly check the position of his knife especially when squatting down as if you were wearing an overcoat perplexes me but although me thinks this was a freak accident if anything.

The one thing I do find disturbing is that the medic stated that this sort of thing happened to him on more than one occasion.. In my 7 years of service, I never saw anything like this occur although I did experience a trooper being killed by a bolt of lightening during a freak thunderstorm..

This also must have happened back in the late 80's or more likely the 1990's since starting in 2003 the US ground pounders started to say Adios to the old LBE Y and H harness belt and straps and began the transition to the MOLLE setup which seems to factor in for either shoulder or chest knife carry via loops...

As for a Bayonet, can't see that happen since the new versions use some sort of BIANCHI belt clip or better yet, if not the sheath is made from some sort or hard plastic..

Regardless, kind of makes you think a little about the blade "what ifs", so I think I'll switch back the good old Buck 110 for bush belt carry!

Cheers,
Serge

Styerman:

Back when I used to make sheaths , I saw a few examples where cheap , ill constructed sheaths were penetrated ,or had the edge come out thru the seam ( often unwelted ) . Basically bad design/construction . Other examples--- the old Kabar sheath was pretty poor , as were the sheaths for the Camillus Pilot's survival knives .

The carry intended , and the sheath are important considerations , when choosing an outdoor ensamble . Some manufactures put out good knives with truly garbage leather .

Chris

Turnstone:

smurf happens. I know someone who had some pants with a patch close to his family jewels. I asked, and he told me the story. He put his SAK into his pockets and forgot to close the blade  :ahhh He was lucky and the only thing that was damaged were his pants, but he easily could have hurt himself very bad  :ahhh

So even carrying a folding knife can be dangerous...

Pages: << < (2/4) > >>

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD