Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Posting Pictures

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Posting Pictures
on: September 20, 2007, 06:31:05 PM
Upload your own pictures

Make sure your pictures are shrunk down to the size limitations of the forum!  Instructions for that are listed in another thread.

Once you have the pictures down to a usable size, you can upload them to the site fairly easily.  Right below the box you type in is a button marked "Additional Options" and has either a plus or minus sign next to it.  Different browsers and computer settings will make it default one way or the other, so if there's a + sign next to it, click on it.  If there's a - next to it, you probably have all the options you need in front of you!

Down below, find where it says "Attach" then has a long box followed by a button that says "Browse."  Click Browse and a little box pops up with all the stuff on your computer.  Find the picture you want to post and click "Open."  The info on how to find that picture then appears in the box between Attach and Browse and usually looks something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Def\My Documents\My Pictures\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\2007-09-20-1142-44\100_2326.JPG

If you want to add another picture (keeping in mind the size limitations of the forum- Allowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mpg, png, JPG, JPEG
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 4096KB, maximum individual size 512KB
) click on "(more attachments)" and you can add up to 4 pictures.  Then click "Post" and you are done!  It will take a few moments longer to return you to the forum as the picture info is being transferred to the server.  This will vary depending on the speed of your connection and the size of your pictures.  If your pictures are too big, you will get an error message saying they are too big and you get to start the whole mess over again, so make certain you keep track of picture sizes!

Def

: mod edit to reflect new size limitations
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:06:00 PM by SteveC »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Posting Pictures
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 06:48:59 PM
"Borrowing" Pictures

This is a simple thing that happens all the time, but really is a no-no since you are technically stealing bandwidth from other websites.  I don;t suggest you do this, but if you really feel like you want to, here's how....  :angel:

The first thing you need is an image location which is pretty easy to get.  Go to www.google.com, type in what you want, then select the Image option.  You get all kinds of pictures some of what you want, some weird stuff, some guy's vacation pictures and some naked women doing unnatural things.  Such is the nature of the 'net.  Find one you want and click on it.  Then Google takes you to the originating website but retains a small frame at the top, where it says something to the effect of "To see a full size view, click HERE."  Click there and a page opens up with nothing but that picture. 

Go to the top of your browser, where you type in addresses (like www.multitool.org for example) and copy that jumble of letters, numbers and punctuation.  Then, come back to the forum- always good to have the forum open in another window or tab.  Once you are on the page where you type stuff, either in a new thread or replying to another one, you need to use something called Image Tags which are pretty simple to do.

Type [ img ] pasteyourlinkhere[ /img ] and your picture is ready to go.  Don't put the spaces in between the "img" and the square brackets!  I put them there so the server wouldn't look at me funny for trying to post what obviously isn't a link!  Also, make sure the second Image Tag has a slash in it so the server knows you are finished with the link.  Write your post around it and away you go.

Taking pictures from a website

If there's a picture on a site that you want to post here (or on any other forum) you can copy it to your computer and upload it again, you can try to find it on Google, or you can just convince any website to give you the link.  Go to the site you want, right click on the picture you want, and select Properties.  There will be a link listed that you can copy, then just follow the above directions.  They work whenever you have a link to a picture, provided that the picture is all there is there.  For example, I "stole" this image form myself on SOSAKOnline using this method:

The code that I typed in to make it fit here looks like this:

[ img ]http://www.sosakonline.com/images/stories/September_07/Saw/SawComp03.JPG[ /img ]

Only without the spaces.

Now that you know all about it, Multitool.org does not condone such activities and anyone caught using up the bandwidth and/or pictures from other sites are liable to get a nasty shaming and have all their beer drank should I ever meet up with them in person.  And, if you do it real often, I may strongly suggest you sit in the corner.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:11:54 AM
Def, how do you guys insert a picture in the middle of a post with text and then continue on with the text. All I can ever do is type my text part of my post and then attach the pics that show up at the bottom of my post.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 09:56:08 AM
Def, how do you guys insert a picture in the middle of a post with text and then continue on with the text. All I can ever do is type my text part of my post and then attach the pics that show up at the bottom of my post.
Yeah I've wondered about that too ???

on other forum's I've just done the normal [img] picture [img] ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:34:12 PM
That's pretty well how you do it, by using the Image Tags, but you can make them show up at other places in the post or other posts as well, but getting the location of the picture described above, and setting the tags where you want it to show up.  It'll still be at the bottom, but it's also be where you want them to be.

That also means you will have to edit your post to put the pictures where you want them.

If you don't want them at the bottom, and just in places where they matter, then you have to host them on PhotoBucket or similar website.  This one was stolen from my Facebook Profile:

Def
Shirt01.jpg
* Shirt01.jpg (Filesize: 94.28 KB)

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:35:21 PM
Does the site suport imageshack coz that's what I'm used to ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 01:39:15 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it should support any picture hosting site.

Def

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 01:40:38 PM
To the best of my knowledge, it should support any picture hosting site.

Def
Cool I'll give it a go later (off to work soon :()

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 03:45:49 PM
A cool site i use quite a bit is www.tinypic.com lets you upload photo's to it and gives you links to use in all manner of situations so you just copy the relevant link and paste it into your posts. 
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 04:04:42 PM
Just remember that picture hosting websites often have limits on how long they will host pictures, so when looking back at older threads, the pictures may have disappeared.

Def

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:29:49 PM
This is true, which is why when i get back to uni i'm going to try and set up my own ftp server so i can easily host images. I've got the software setup i just need a new router (which my friend is providing) so hopefully by the end of next week i'll have it sorted.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 10:32:14 PM
I always use photobucket.com

Dunc

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 08:01:28 PM
Today when I try to post photos using the "[ img][/ img]" method, I keep receiving an error message reading:
"Sorry, you are not allowed to post links."

This is very odd as I have posted photos to this forum previously.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 08:03:02 PM
new anti spam features implemented, you're still under the threshold.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 08:27:28 PM
I think 50 (or higher) is way too high to be allowed to post pictures. I could bring up endless examples of epic pictures coming off new members, and even yesterday a bunch of people encouraged a new member to share pictures of his gear

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 08:28:46 PM
the mods are currently debating the level, it will probably be lowered.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 08:35:07 PM
There was a point today when I too got the same message. it was right after i became a charter member so I PMed Grant thinking something had gone wrong with that  :think:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 08:37:10 PM
probably right after it was setup, and the permissions had not been set yet.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:06:42 AM
Wish posting picture here is as easy as posting pictures in facebook, you don't have to shrink or downsize the file just click on the pictures and share.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 01:08:47 AM
It is as easy if you just use photobucket.  Can't get easier than that.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 01:15:14 AM

Yes I agree , I've used photo bucket for years and while I find it a bit slow it is free and very easy to use .

Dunc

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 01:25:39 AM

Yes I agree , I've used photo bucket for years and while I find it a bit slow it is free and very easy to use .

Dunc
I know but I don't want to go back and fort to photobucket and MTO, just lazy I guess  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 01:30:25 AM

Dunc
I know but I don't want to go back and fort to photobucket and MTO, just lazy I guess  :D

I suppose its just something I've got used too , I just have photobucket running in another tab and just flick between the two .

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:03 AM

Dunc

With PB you upload once and can use everywhere and have it saved for a back up.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 01:36:33 AM

Dunc

With PB you upload once and can use everywhere and have it saved for a back up.

Yes over the years I've had two hard drives go FUBAR and I would have lost loads of photos if i hadnt uploaded them to photobucket .

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 08:04:57 AM
Losing any data is something no one ever has to experience. Get Carbonite and you're set. It's $55 a year and runs in the background, uploading the files/folders you specify (or everything) to a secure server. If something goes poof, you still  have EVERYTHING. A much better solution than something like Photobucket for backup since it works with all sorts of files and is secure. I facepalm when I see people without backups, and feel pity when I see people who use external hard drives and think that's a backup. The latter don't quite know what to reply when I ask "what if there's a fire, flood, power surge while it's plugged in, or robbery?".

Prime example of someone I don't feel sorry for at all because they brought it on themselves: http://www.fmylife.com/work/12822574

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 11:10:25 AM
I have nowt on my computer apart from pics, so photobucket is all I need.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:55 AM
SO all your important documents are on paper? And you think that is better with regards to backups?  :ahhh

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 06:02:12 PM
I don't have "important documents".  I am a father of three not a bloody lawyer.  :D  I bank online so that all stays there.  I have all my work stuff on a work system - at work.  My phone is all online so nowt there.  All my emails are saved in hotmail so nowt saved there.  The only documents I create are photo's - hense photobucket.

My comp going phut is a mere inconvenience.  I would actually lose nothing.
I'm back!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 06:05:08 PM
USB key Andreas..  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24