Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Finally! My first Victorinox... SwissTool Spirit.... yeah baby!

Splat · 16 · 3294

us Offline Splat

:cheers: :multi:  I'm in multi-friggin'-tool heaven, guys! I just got back from picking up my first Victorinox, a Swisstool Spirit.  I already love it.  :)  I got the Spirit/Rally pack. I'm off to work now. Funny that I actually HOPE there's some work to be done so I can use this bea-u-tiful piece of Swiss machinery.  :D ;D  A review will be in order if anyone cares later. Cheers!
--
Splat
Splat

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Finally! My first Victorinox... SwissTool Spirit.... yeah baby!
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 08:05:16 PM
nice one  ;D be sure to let us know how your first day with it goes .

Dunc

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:48:20 PM
Looking forward to that review!  :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 08:52:09 PM
It won't be your last victorinox either thats for sure ;D

The spirit really is a thing of beauty, what version did ya get ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 04:09:12 AM
It's the regular Spirit, non-S, version. Here's my initial review of my new Vic Spirit...............

First impression out of its clamshell cocoon: beautiful design of purpose. This thing is built like a tank. No rattle. Everything snaps into place with a suffonsifieing audible CLICK! I found some residual oil in various places around the tool. That's good. I've never seen that on other multis when browsing at the stores! The size and weight is also perfect for me. I've been told I've got meathooks, yet the Spirit's small size fits my hand better than my LM Core did. The curved handles allow me to open the pliers easier since they're closer together than on my Core. At work I had the tool on my belt the entire time. After a short while it disappeared, unlike my LM Core whose weight always reminded you it's there. I wondered if I would miss the pointed blade, as found on the Spirit S. I try to think of the times I've needed a pointed blade and can't think of any! I figure if I find myself really needing the pointed blade I can grind the combi-edge blade into one. The holster/sheath included is the black/brown nylon one with Velcro closure with a very nice Victorinox shield on the front. All in all a very good looking holster/sheath.

The only question I put forth is: the individual springs...are they  stronger than a solid metal piece, ala Leatherman?

The only real chore my new Spirit confronted at its first day at work was wrenching a 1/4" nut off an old rusty screw. No problems there! I tested the Phillips driver and it really doesn't seem as slippery as I've heard.  I'm amazed at how quality just exudes from this tool. Fit and finish is outstanding. No other brand of multi I've seen comes close. I know it sounds clichéd but it is a finely tuned, precision machine. I, of course, showed the Spirit off to my buddies. Victorinox should be selling 5 or 6 more tomorrow.  :)   Oh, and I forgot to mention the Vic Rally included with the package. What a surprisingly nice, well built, little SAK it is. I was expecting a little dinky thing but even the Rally felt more solid than some of the $ multis I've handled!  I really want to test drive all the functions of my new Spirit. Within the oncoming days I've got a few jobs that can definitely call upon the Spirit to prove itself. I'll let you know how it does. Cheers!  :cheers:
--
Splat
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 05:13:45 AM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 04:54:17 AM
The spirit and it's bigger brother the swiss tool are easy to love, these guys over in swiss have got us all hooked big time. Quality is amazing and with people like Dunc being around here, it's like having a pusher on the street corner trying to get you hooked, and if you have one....you have to buy 3 more.

Seriously thought, no other tool I have screams quality than my swiss tools. I may not use them daily but I would not give them up for anything, might even be buried with them....whoa, that's a dark thought. :P

David

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:47:58 AM
. Quality is amazing and with people like Dunc being around here, it's like having a pusher on the street corner trying to get you hooked,

David

;D  :multi:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:33 AM
Great review there mate :cheers:

Trouble is you can't stop at one, you'll be after a swisstool soon :)

As for your question about the springs, in theory the leatherman's I supose would be the stronger, but in practice I've never had, and never heard of anyone having a problem with the springs on a spirit or a swisstool :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 06:50:46 PM
Man, I love watching what SOSAK members always refer to as "The Revelation!"

Most of the time it's guys ditching tacticals for SAKs, but I think this counts too!   ;D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 10:05:02 PM
Def, I thought You were away for a couple of days? Guys at KF are running wild  ;D

Back to the subject, If you like the Spirit, you will love the Swistool X!  :pok:

Alexei
-------
Alexei

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 10:07:01 PM
Yup, I just got back, safe and sound.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 01:18:54 AM
Yup, I just got back, safe and sound.

Def

Pleased to hear it!  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 06:03:00 PM
Back to the subject, If you like the Spirit, you will love the Swistool X!  :pok:
Alexei

Alexei, I almost bought the Swisstool X!  :)  They had the Spirit, ST X, ST, a boatload of Leathermans, a few SOGs, and Gerbers. I took my time and spent a good hour just going thru them all. I did love the feel of the SwissTools compared to the others. As said before, they're simply solid.  I loved the heft of the Swisstool X but I've had a LM Core for roughly a year now and the carry weight nagged me. I love the Core, but wish it was an outside-opener and lighter. Gee, that sounds like the Swisstool Spirit! So it was between the X and the Spirit. The Spirit won out because of the weight, size, and I forgot to mention the feel of the handles just felt better in the hand. So, the Spirit won and I'm absolutely loving it. Like Def said, I get that "Man, now that's friggin' nice" feeling every time I handle the Spirit.  :multi:
--
Splat
Splat

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 08:50:51 PM
... I get that "Man, now that's friggin' nice" feeling every time I handle the Spirit...

What I meant was, you need both! ;D
I have Spirit with bits and ratchet and I use it all around the house, but I grab the Swisstool X for the dirty jobs in the yard...
Alexei
-------
Alexei

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 02:44:10 PM
Both?  I think he needs more than that! :P

So now that you've banged it around for a few days, any new thoughts on it?

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 05:05:39 PM
A few new thoughts on the Spirit.....

Surprised that so far I've done fine without the pointed blade. If I need to puncture I can use, depending upon the material, the scissor tip, the awl, or the largest screwdriver which has an almost knife-like edge. I love that the tools don't clump up. I love how they snap into place with an "Hey, I'm ready to work for ya" sound.  :D The Phillips driver has been better than I thought it would be. So far, no slipping and no signs of wear. It's nowhere near the negative descriptions I've read. Again, the fit and finish of the Spirit just kills me. Dare I say, it's almost a joy to use it!  :multi: :cheers:
--
Splat
Splat

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56