Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth

Dunc · 257 · 122656

us Offline wave180

Re: Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth
Reply #210 on: May 01, 2013, 01:02:29 AM
This might clarify some things. This is my brand new Swiss Tool, no more red paint, plier head is the same as the 05 version with a cross and shield stamp. Also, this is the regular Swiss Tool with sheep foot style serrated blade.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #211 on: May 01, 2013, 04:25:26 AM
Mine looks like that too. I am sure that is the most recent. The photos showing the smaller plier head are from prototypes and are not production models. One way to tell that is by looking at the corkscrew adapter. If the photo has a circle it is not a production model. If it has a squiggly triangle to connect the corkscrew, it is a production model.
I have said this before. I spoke with a current dealer and this plier head is the current model being shipped to dealers.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #212 on: May 01, 2013, 07:28:38 AM
Scrappy the models with smaller plier heads and round corkscrew hole WERE production models and not prototypes , there are many of these models in circulation , I have one that has no hard wire notch in the cutters which makes it a really early one.

I've always preferred the 98 plier head, it opens and closes with more resistance.

Dunc

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #213 on: May 01, 2013, 08:18:59 AM
I am sorry Dunc. I didn't mean to say they were never production models. I meant the recent photos of the old plier with the new handles and sheepsfoot blade are not a production model. They are just stock photos. The current production model looks just like the pic wave180 shared.
Older models pre 2002 did use the smaller plier. I carry one as an edc often. Thanks for helping clarify my statement.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #214 on: May 01, 2013, 08:23:38 AM
Sorry Scrappy I miss understood you , havnt had my coffee yet  :facepalm:

us Offline mashguy4077

Reply #215 on: May 03, 2013, 04:15:50 AM
Mine looks like that too. I am sure that is the most recent. The photos showing the smaller plier head are from prototypes and are not production models. One way to tell that is by looking at the corkscrew adapter. If the photo has a circle it is not a production model. If it has a squiggly triangle to connect the corkscrew, it is a production model.
I have said this before. I spoke with a current dealer and this plier head is the current model being shipped to dealers.

You just made me a very happy man. That's awesome news that the New Swisstool with the sheepsfoot serrated blade still has the larger pliers  :gimme:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #216 on: June 24, 2013, 06:07:55 PM
I just received a brand new silver SwissTool that looks as the one below with one more change - there is no shield embossed on the pliers head anymore. The pliers head is blank (although nicely machined) on both sides. Standard SwissTool, sheep foot serrated blade as the one in the pic. Very nicely built otherwise, no blade/tools play (usually associated with the SwissTools), thight and smooth at the same time.

Few weeks ago I got a BO variant of the same SwissTool standard model from Tim (Tim, if you read this: :cheers:!) and that one looks exactly as the one in this pic, the embossed shield included, just in all black.

id Offline Melvin Sjardinal

Reply #217 on: June 28, 2013, 12:05:24 PM
Swiss Tool Black plier heads with Blasting Cap Crimper
ST Black Crim MTO.jpg
* ST Black Crim MTO.jpg (Filesize: 100.64 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #218 on: June 28, 2013, 04:22:55 PM
Very nice Melvin :tu: And congrats, those with the cap crimper are not seen very often. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

id Offline Melvin Sjardinal

Reply #219 on: June 29, 2013, 01:04:08 PM
Very nice Melvin :tu: And congrats, those with the cap crimper are not seen very often. :)
Thank you J-sews...

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #220 on: June 29, 2013, 07:20:44 PM
Swiss Tool Black plier heads with Blasting Cap Crimper
Ohh,nice one Melvin..  8) 8)

us Offline tgbrendaj

• Retired, but not tired
Reply #221 on: September 26, 2013, 08:11:01 AM
Does anyone have a Victorinox catalog pic of the 1998 Victorinox SwissTool X set which also included screwdriver bits, the "L" shaped bit drive bar, and nylon case that holds all?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:57:11 AM by tgbrendaj »

us Offline burnside

Reply #222 on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:54 PM
I just received a brand new silver SwissTool that looks as the one below with one more change - there is no shield embossed on the pliers head anymore. The pliers head is blank (although nicely machined) on both sides. Standard SwissTool, sheep foot serrated blade as the one in the pic. Very nicely built otherwise, no blade/tools play (usually associated with the SwissTools), thight and smooth at the same time.

I recently bought a new Swisstool Spirit RT "Road Tour Edition", and then about a week later, I bought two more from a different seller. The first one I received has the little Vic logo etched on the pliers head, but the other two that I received do not have the logo. Instead they'er just machined smooth. I wonder how many of the Spirit RTs have the etched Vic logo on the pliers head as opposed to without the etched logo?

us Offline burnside

Reply #223 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
Here is a pic of the three Spirit RTs that displays the one with the small Vic logo etched or engraved on the plier head, and the other two without the logo.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #224 on: December 10, 2013, 09:32:26 PM
My Spirit RT (bought it in August 2011) also has the logo on the plier head  8).

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #225 on: December 10, 2013, 09:43:36 PM
This might clarify some things. This is my brand new Swiss Tool, no more red paint, plier head is the same as the 05 version with a cross and shield stamp. Also, this is the regular Swiss Tool with sheep foot style serrated blade.

I too have this one with the sheepfoot style serrated blade, no red on handles but NO shield stamp on pliers head!

@burnside - I too have two of the RS and neither have any shield stamp on them.  Both smooth!

I also have a Swisstool with the scissors that has a shield and Victorinox stamp on one side.  It also appears that the pliers head is not as stubby as the one with the sheeps foot serrated blade.

Too many variations and I wish they would stop.  Just make them one way. Any idea of production dates for the ones I have?  :D

us Offline burnside

Reply #226 on: December 11, 2013, 01:54:04 AM
I can't compare them anymore because I sent the two RTs with smooth plier heads and no logo to Thunderpants this afternoon, but I just noticed in the photo that the one with the logo on the plier head looks a little wider and less slim than the other two. I wish I could compare them still, but like I said, it's too late for that.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #227 on: December 11, 2013, 02:06:29 AM
I can't compare them anymore because I sent the two RTs with smooth plier heads and no logo to Thunderpants this afternoon, but I just noticed in the photo that the one with the logo on the plier head looks a little wider and less slim than the other two. I wish I could compare them still, but like I said, it's too late for that.

(Image removed from quote.)

I noticed that too in the pic but thought maybe it was just an illusion! LOL

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #228 on: January 21, 2014, 12:04:22 AM
Great thread!!

-AdmSlc

Offline lanedecamp

Reply #229 on: February 26, 2014, 08:00:47 PM
Does anyone know if manufacturing is subbed out to various shops or all manufactured inside one Victorinox plant?  This could lead to variations, and some of these stamping variations could be internal codes to indicate the specific production source. A full "Victorinox" label is one thing because it looks like it's cast into the piece, but the little Swiss crosses look rather like a stamp applied afterwards to an item that has passed quality control. All of this is common in manufacture of many tools and such.

Also, there's a thing that's very common in Europe called a "lunch-box" product. Assembly-line workers in the factory get to take parts that may have minor defects (like two jaws that don't pair up adequately, although if a worker sorts through a rejects bin he can find two that do work just fine) and spend their lunch hour making a couple units for family and friends. Inevitably some guys make a bunch that they sell on the side. They won't necessarily have any QC stamps but you never really know.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #230 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:00 PM
Welcome to the forum, lanedecamp. :waving:

As far as I know all the Victorinox tools are from Ibach, Switzerland. Only part that's outsourced is the corkscrew, and that comes from Trier, France.

The little shield was an addition to the Spirit plier head, my newer Spirit has it too, the older one doesn't.

au Offline kenlip

• New User
Reply #231 on: December 31, 2014, 05:11:54 AM
Just added this info to the Encyclopedia. Scroll down to the bottom of the SwissTool page HERE and click on Dunc's plier head picture.

Bob

Excellent information - thanks!

One small point, if I may (definitely no offence intended!).  The notes for the diagram say, "Note that the advantage of the new plier design only comes into play when the jaws are positioned perpendicular to the bolt head, not parallel".   

I found this a little unclear at first and think that any confusion might be avoided by saying, "Note that the advantage of the new plier design only comes into play when the long axis of the pliers is coincident with the long axis of the bolt".

Ken

us Offline dipti

Reply #232 on: June 29, 2015, 12:49:35 PM
Thanks for sharing this information.
My never ending love for tomahawks

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #233 on: March 23, 2016, 07:37:36 PM
I may have a Swiss Tool anomaly here. It has the '98 Vic-and-shield-stamped Plier head on it, but with the earlier.......97 ??... "no-hard-wire-notch".
It has the round hole for the Corkscrew, and it has the fluted Reamer, which also dates it early (according to these pages).
Blades are Spear-Point PE, and Spear-Point SE.
File is the "old" non-aggressive cutter, similar to that found on old SAK Champions or Mountaineers.
IMG_0039.JPG
* IMG_0039.JPG (Filesize: 200.07 KB)

de Offline Shuya

Reply #234 on: April 08, 2016, 05:01:12 PM
Hi,

not sure if it was shown here before, just compared my two Swisstools.
One was bought around 2006 and the other one bought last year.

There the newer one has a different Head, no more stamped in Cross, edges cut off and more bulky.
Plus the handle opens about 5mm more at the newer one.

Photos: left or upper tool: new one. right or bottom one: old one.
ST1.jpg
* ST1.jpg (Filesize: 111.08 KB)
ST2.jpg
* ST2.jpg (Filesize: 110.54 KB)
ST3.jpg
* ST3.jpg (Filesize: 89.76 KB)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:02:14 PM by Shuya »

br Offline Edar

Reply #235 on: September 07, 2016, 03:40:08 PM
Besides these differences, also the back of the pliers jaws, where they attach to the pivots are different from the previous one. Now there is a slot.
But I am very disappointed with the lower quality. I had an old swisstool with 2 blades and I wanted to have the scissors model, so I bought it this week, from Amazon.de.
The logo on the scales is very imprecisely made and the tools don´t lock open firmly, there´s a 1 mm up and down wobble at their tip.
I also have an old model  with scissors that I bought used and badly worn and the build is much better, the logo is large and beautiful. The tools lock with a strong click.
Regards,
Eduardo

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #236 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:51 PM
Let's see, a rough calculation as my napkin wasn't large enough any more:

5 basic versions of Plier head.
Roughly 3 finishes (SS, BO, Road/Tour finish)
With and without Cap Crimper.
Now: different variations of construction between even the same exact tool between model years.
And maybe I missed variants too.

I will definitely need to re-fi the Chateau to get them all.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #237 on: May 03, 2017, 12:19:19 AM
Hi,

There the newer one has a different Head, no more stamped in Cross, edges cut off and more bulky.

It seems like one has a metric ruler, and the other one has imperial ruler markings? Could it be that there are differences between US and EU versions?
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #238 on: May 03, 2017, 12:24:42 AM
Hi,

It seems like one has a metric ruler, and the other one has imperial ruler markings? Could it be that there are differences between US and EU versions?

Metric on one side of the handle, imperial on the other.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #239 on: September 26, 2017, 06:41:57 PM
Perhaps my research is incomplete. I was shopping for a Swisstool when I noticed the CS Plus and the Spirit Plus both seem to lack the crimping tool (for splicing or capping electrical wire).
My Leatherman ST200 has the crimper that I'm talking about below the hinge.

Did I just not see it? Is there a Swisstool with a crimper and where is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD