Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New NIRK Knife from CRKT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New NIRK Knife from CRKT
on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:46 PM
I had breakfast this morning with Glenn Klecker, a designer for CRKT, and he showed me a few things I was desperate to get my hands on.  Unfortunately, these are things I probably will never have in my lifetime, but I figured that was no reason to deprive everyone else!

As you may or may not know, there are two new versions of the NIRK knife this year- a collaboration with Brian Tighe and another version called the Novo.  Glenn didn't have a Novo with him today, but he did show me the collaboration prototype and another proto he came up with for a titanium version of the NIRK.

Here's the titanium version, which there are currently no plans to produce.

In this last pic you can see how thick the liners/frame are.  This knife weighs very little, since the handle is all titanium.

Now on to the Klecker/Tighe prototype.  This is beautiful.  The production version looks ok, but this prototype is amazing.

Last but not least, here is the prototype on the cover of this year's CRKT catalogue which features a photo of the production version.

Sorry about the crappy pics- I was trying to take them with my "beater" camera on my napkin in a restaurant, where lighting for photography is not a priority!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: New NIRK Knife from CRKT
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:59:42 AM
I like the blade shape on the first one very much. :tu:  The second is perhaps a mite to fussy for my taste. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:16:23 AM
Wow, that looks like a real piece of art! :)

I'm still amazed at how simple/complex that lock mechanism is. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:25:49 AM
Ooh la la.... fancy :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:04:29 PM
wow
 :drool:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:04:08 PM
Here are a few photos of the new Klecker/Tighe collaboration from CRKT.  This is the production version of the prototype seen above.  As you can see the design has been simplified a lot for production.

The interesting thing is the weight- given how huge this knife is,because of the cutouts the weight reduction is significant.

I'll be back at the CRKT booth today, and will hopefully get some pictures of the other new NIRK version, the Novo, which is slightly smaller than the original and features a sheeps foot blade.

CRKT also has a few other interesting things I'll be taking lots of pics of too... :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:00 PM
I'm surprised the Leatherman didn't get their hands on the design rights. :think:

That knife would definately compliment the Freestyle/Skeletool series design :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:49:58 AM
As promised, here is the NIRK Novo:

It's 87% of the size of the original NIRK, so it's easier to manage for those of us with tiny hands!

Def

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:39:47 AM
I'm surprised the Leatherman didn't get their hands on the design rights. :think:

That knife would definately compliment the Freestyle/Skeletool series design :tu:

That's true, cuz the same guy invented both of them.   ::)
-

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:44:33 AM

Wow, he must be a real smart feller then!! :tu:

I absolutely LOVE that Novo by the way! :drool: It looks to be more my size. :) Is that blade about 4" long?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:46:06 AM
I LOVE Tigh's work.

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:03:00 AM

I absolutely LOVE that Novo by the way! :drool: It looks to be more my size. :) Is that blade about 4" long?

Looks like it is about 2-5/8".  It's a nice pocket sized knife.  Drops all the way in your pocket with only 1/4" sticking out.
-

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 01:43:05 AM

Looks like it is about 2-5/8".  It's a nice pocket sized knife.  Drops all the way in your pocket with only 1/4" sticking out.

Oh yah, I see that up-and-over style pocket clip. :salute: Very nice. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%