Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Fit

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Gerber Fit
Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 01:19:44 PM
I did some extensive testing with the bottle opener last night, and it works quite well!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 05:56:03 PM
The side view pictures of it look great, but I'm anxious to see how "thick" it is. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 10:28:21 PM
Def,
What do you think about the size? I think all around it is a good design. There is no pouch though and it is a little too big for pocket carry without a pocket clip.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 04:16:16 PM
Sorry about not getting back to this sooner- the weather was great yesterday and I took the opportunity to get my kayak out.  Turned out to be a really challenging day as the water was on par with my roughest days on that lake, and at four kilometers long, it was a hell of a paddle.  In fact, I had to change boats to paddle with my friend is his tandem boat and tow mine because he couldn't beat the wind and waves himself!

But I digress....  the Fit is actually a bit smaller than it looks.  I'll get some comparison shots up shortly, but if you want a decent size comparison right away, think two PST's stacked on top of eachother and you have similar dimensions.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline julescastaneda

Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 01:29:26 AM
So I got the blue Gerber Fit yesterday, I like it and I don't think I'll be missing the pliers that much, I work as an IT. The only thing I didn't like was that there was a
ball bearing on the bit itself. This means you can use a regular 1/4 bit but it'll fall off. Is there such a thing as a bit extender WITH a ball bearing? I was at Home Depot, Lowe's and McLendon's and I couldn't find one. I ended up using a glue gun and just shaved off the extra glue that portruded. It works ok, although it's a bit ghetto rigged. LoL. One advice of one of the customers at Home Depot who overhead me was to put an "o" ring on it. We tried lots of "o" rings but none of them worked. Is it just me or do these things really exist?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 03:41:11 AM
I think I'd be more inclined to find a small magnet to stick in there, although working in IT that may not be a valid solution for you.

Welcome to the forum!

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 03:40:17 PM
Here you go Def.

The Gerber Fit versus the Kelvin 23. (Yes, I do own a Kelvin 23...not sure what that tells you about me :D ).

I can't wait to get the external flash on the Samsung NX 10. Here, you can see what happens when I don't use flash and forgot to close my outside door. The sunlight causes these nice coloured shadows.

Top View.

With door closed.
Side view.

Tools out.

The Fit is a very nice tool. I was prepared to not buy one. However I am very glad I did. This tool has a very solid sleek feeling to it. The orange is very beautiful. The highlight of this tool is the light. Fairly powerful, but more importantly, the lens in front gives a very wide pleasing light throw. You can see the whole room in the dark with this neat light, and the best part, it runs on a single AAA battery. One caveat, the battery door is easy to take off, with the added bonus that you could conceivably lose it during usage. I didn't find the locking mechanism all that positive.

Another weird design element, the nail nick on the blade is too close to the blade tang. You have to exert quite a bit of leverage to get the blade out. It was quicker to get the blade out 1/3 of the way, and then to grab the blade tip and pull the rest of the way. This could add to a cut or two if you're not carful. If you use the nail nick, you are fighting physics as you won't have any leverage.

Other then those two niggles, the tool surpassed my expectations. You do get a nice sharp blade with a small serration section which is perfect for cutting cordage. You also get a driver with a large round adapter that is spot welded in place. The tool only comes with a single two ended Phillips/flat driver bit. The scissors are always great, but then I would expect no less from Fiskers, a company world renown dor the quality of their scissors. There are also two oddly placed drivers that fit under the larger bit driver. These are pulled out by pressing down on a single slider switch. Both come out, necessitating the re-placement of the other tool. Still a great way to use lost space and add a bit more functionality. On top of that, there is also a real good pair of tweezers. These fit into the scale much like those found on a Victorinox. What I do like about there, is the attention to details. There is a checkered pattern knurled into the metal where your fingers go. I find them grippier and easier to use then those found on the Swiss products.

So overall, a neat little tool. It does have some heft to it, but the Fit's shape would lend it well to pocket carry. I didn't find any lanyard loops, or a place to attach a pocket clip, the lack of which limits the end user in how they can carry the Fit.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 06:26:00 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and the pics Chako, excellent as always. :tu:  Could you possibly do a "in hand" shot?  I'm still struggling to get an idea if the size of this thing. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 09:35:25 PM
Not sure an in hand shot will do it for you. How about I take a shot of it next to a Vic SI?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:49 PM
That'd work too, cheers Dan. :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 10:46:48 PM
Ok. Off to take the photos.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 10:55:37 PM
Here they are. The Gerber fit looks larger in photos than it actualy is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 11:12:54 PM
That's perfect mate. :salute:  It's actually likely a little less bulky than I'd feared.  Does it come with a belt pouch of any kind?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 12:43:43 AM
Nothing, not even a lanyard loop.  :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 07:18:17 PM
Nothing, not even a lanyard loop.  :think:
So you really have no choice other than to drop it in your pocket or a bag then.  Not a huge problem for me but it might put some folks off. :-\

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 09:42:06 PM
that sounds about right.

fi Offline temo

Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 02:50:39 PM
Well this was a bit old tool already.

All the gerbers I have :) Fit I got mainly because a flash light. Nice fearure is that light is pointing to bit driver. So no need to keep light to direction of screw. Body is not the smallest possible but again it is quite lightweight (for having aaa light). You can get more bright flashlights but again amount of light is quite perfect for help light. Also like scissors in fit.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: December 20, 2015, 03:44:01 PM
I really should put a little more effort into getting a Fit.  I've liked the ones I've seen, but it costs just a bit more than I've been willing to pay.

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #48 on: December 28, 2015, 05:40:08 AM
I have the orange version. I found it a little to big for pocket carry. They really should have a pouch come with it. Pretty solid little tool though. The small screw drivers are a nice way to make up for lost space, but the flathead is a little too small at the tip. I may have to take a little off the tip to make it more to my liking. I found that bits from a Klein 11 in 1 fit in the bit driver. I like the valve core remover option for HVAC work. :tu: Look up Klein replacement bits on Amazon. There are quite a few options to choose from.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%