Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T.
on: January 19, 2011, 06:10:06 AM
Take what you didn't like about the original Crucial model, and fix them, and then improve it a little more and you end up with the Crucial F.A.S.T..  It's an interesting tool, and one that I think is going to change the way you look at the Crucial design.

First off it uses Gerber's F.A.S.T. system on the blade, making it an assisted opener, which is actually pretty sweet.  The blade wasn't as smooth as many assisted opening knives I have used, but these are pre-production models, so some slight issues are to be expected.  The switch that locks the blade closed so it doesn't accidentally fire in your pocket also functions as the lock release when it's open, so the system has been streamlined- one button to do both jobs.  That's a nice detail.

That's the improvement- now for the fixes.... one of the biggest complaints about the Crucial were the stubby drivers.  You won't complain about that now!  The drivers were repositioned so one is on each handle and each one takes up almost the whole length of the tool.

The phillips is also a 3D driver, with a bottle opener incorporated into it.  This is important, as the F.A.S.T. doesn't have the carabiner/bottle opener, and I needed a way to get into the Corona I bought last night!  Oh, and the drivers still lock open with the same liner used in the original Crucial model.

With no carabiner this version has to rely completely on the pocket clip as a carry method, but since I've always carried mine with the clip, that doesn't bother me much!

Gerber has graciously given me one of these for evaluation, despite it being a pre-production model.  I will put it through it's paces and get a review posted as soon as I can, but bear in mind this is not the final version, so there may be some changes before it becomes readily available. 

Oh, and for the record, the bottle opener works great!   :cheers:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Re: Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T.
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:05:12 AM
Does the G10 handle rumor is true ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:36 AM
Just the one with the switch.  The other three are the same as the original- aluminum I think?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:06 AM
Played with knives with the FAST system before, they all have the single switch for locking.  I've handled some good, some bad, what's mostly kept me from buying is that if I'm getting a dedicated pocket knife I'd like the steel to be better than Gerber's mystery stuff.

I would be willing to relax that requirement a little for a multitool if the AO system is solid, though.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:35 AM
so did you get to keep a prototype? pretty cool

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:17:39 AM
This one is a pre-production version and the AO isn't bad.  It's not perfect, but I would fully expect it to perform better for an actual production version.  It certainly fires out well enough, if not with the same kind of authority as a Ken Onion era Kershaw knife.

But then let's see you open a bottle or tighten a screw with a Ken Onion Kershaw!  :D

Def

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:21:07 AM
Thanks Def !  :salute:

Man ! Gerber getting 3D Drivers and Leatherman stubby ones... The end of the world is near  :rofl:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:55:22 AM
On for the 'too get list' I reckon  ::) ::) :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:09:28 AM
A REAL phillips bit driver.  :o  Way to go Gerber!   :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:51:48 PM
But then let's see you open a bottle or tighten a screw with a Ken Onion Kershaw!  :D

Def

Challenge excepted!
(just seend me the knife i'll send the video  :D )
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:23:16 PM
I like that design!  It'd be nice to have a PE version.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:38:23 PM
I will get one because I need one for the collection...however, what I did not like about the original was the handle shape. I just could not get along with it. It looks like they haven't changed the dimensions or shape of that handle much from that photo.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 02:25:22 PM
I'll be curious to see how the F.A.S.T. system holds up. I had one of Gerber's F.A.S.T. knives a while back and the mechanism literally exploded into pieces after about 3 weeks. That was the last Gerber product I ever bought. If the quality is actually up to par, that actually looks to be a pretty decent design, and it's finally differentiating itself from the Skeletool a bit more so it doesn't bug me in that regard. Any idea what the price point will be?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:43:11 PM
Anyone can make a lemon- Ferrari even had a recall recently.  That's what customer service is for.

Def

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:31:58 PM

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:05 PM
While I'm not particularly fond of AO's (they are, at best, a legal grey area here) that's certainly a good looking MT.  :tu:

I will get one because I need one for the collection...however, what I did not like about the original was the handle shape. I just could not get along with it. It looks like they haven't changed the dimensions or shape of that handle much from that photo.

I know it's going to sound silly to say but did you try holding it 'upside down'?  I only ask as I was playing with one at last years UK meet-up and was holding it as I would a Skeletool.  I found it was pretty uncomfortable to say the least.  Screwtape then suggested I hold it the other way up and I have to admit I found it a hundred times better.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 01:21:11 AM
Ferraris are also put together like crap. My cousin does bodywork for a living and has worked on a few, They are held together more cheaply than any POS Ford. That being said, I know it may have been a fluke, but this was at the end of a string of disappointments with Gerber. So long as it proves reliable in this case, the tool has a strong case for itself. It's certainly a lot better implemented than the Powerassist. At least here it makes some sense and doesn't give up any other features for the gimmick. I'll be honest, I'm going to be watching this one closely, I see some real potential here so long as Gerber doesn't cheap out on it. Once they hit the street I'm going to have to at least handle one without a doubt.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 04:01:17 AM
Looks like a definite upgrade from the original 2009 Crucial :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 04:06:49 AM
Good 2 see improvements in this Gerber model :cheers: It looks to be a much better MT now hopefully this makes it's way to the same stores as the original and ends up being a change for the better with Gerber in general :cheers:

us Offline fly104857

Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 01:02:01 AM
A REAL phillips bit driver.  :o  Way to go Gerber!   :tu:

I'll second that!!! :2tu:

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 08:39:31 AM
I'd really like to get my hands on one of these.  :tu:

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 05:04:07 PM
Here is a quick look at one of these on youtube.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 06:26:19 AM
Well Gerber did it again.  I have seen this tool in stock and ready to sell.  Gerber is definitely starting a good trend with bringing tools out just a week or two after the Shot show. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 03:24:08 AM
Sweet! :cheers: Where did you see it if I might ask? :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 06:37:08 PM
I saw it on the knifecenter of the internet.  The crucial shows in stock the others on pre-order.

us Offline Marlinaholic

Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 12:12:36 AM
I just ordered one of these, one of my wholesalers had some, which surprised me actually.  It will be my first small Gerber multi but I couldn't resist because:

G10, only multi I'll have with that
assisted open on a tool of this size, only in the industry to my knowledge, Powerassist being much larger
Long drivers
pocket clip
Gerber Lifetime warranty
Torx construction so easy adjustment if something is too tight/loose

My only concern is the blade steel on these.  What do you guys figure it is?  Are all Gerber multi blades about the same, or do they vary in steel type and just don't tell us?  I've been happy with Chinese Buck 420HC (which I think isn't really the touted BOS heat treated 420HC, but a close Chinese equivalent) like on the Xtract and Buck slip joints and Leatherman 420HC, which people say is slightly inferior to domestic Buck 420HC, ect.  I would think they use at least as good a steel/heat treat as say Buck's little slip joints from China, which really do hold an edge pretty well by my standards, but you guys probably can tell me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:22:39 AM by Marlinaholic »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 12:36:07 AM
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I find it to be a good tool.  I was a bit disapointed in the original Crucial, but I like the FAST.  The drivers are long enough to be useful and lock open.

The blade steel seems like a 420 steel of some sort- it's definately not a super steel, but I haven't needed to touch it up yet.

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 12:55:04 AM
OK this is coming from me... I AM GLAD THIS GERBER LOOKS LIKW A WINNER.

Uggg I need a shower.
S

us Offline Marlinaholic

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 01:20:04 AM
Hey since lots of Gerbers are made in China (this one included I believe) why not use 8CR13MoV for blades?  It's pretty much AUS 8 equivalent (which would actually be superior to Leatherman's 420HC for edge holding) and wouldn't cost much more, and it's already being made in the country these come from.  Just a thought.....

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 01:24:16 AM
OK this is coming from me... I AM GLAD THIS GERBER LOOKS LIKW A WINNER.

Uggg I need a shower.

Don't you feel better now? :D :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%