Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Slim & Slim Duo

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
on: January 20, 2011, 05:56:30 AM
I managed to get some pics of the Slim and Slim Duo today that I thought you may enjoy:

This is why they call it "Slim:"

The drive is about half the thickness of the old Swiss Memory drive, meaning they can fit two drives in one knife.  And, since these drives are much higher capacity than the old ones, you get an awful lot of bang for these ones.

These ones are a lot more affordable too- I think the 8gb version starts around $40.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Re: Victorinox Slim & Slim Duo
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:28 AM
Now this I like!

Sleek!
G

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:45:52 AM
Alox!  :drool:

jp Offline yokomode

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:22 AM
Sleek.  :D

bg Offline kiak

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:13:39 PM
Definitely I'll get one of these  :drool:
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:28:49 PM
Do you know if the new slim memory chips will fit into the older memory knives?  ??? It kind of looks like 2 slim chips would fit where one old one would. :pok:

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:15 PM
I managed to get some pics of the Slim and Slim Duo today that I thought you may enjoy:

These ones are a lot more affordable too- I think the 8gb version starts around $40.

Def
While I really like these, I think the price points are "out to lunch". You can purchase 8gb flash drives for $10-12 many places now so I could see maybe pricing a Vic Slim 8gb up to $20-25 because of the "cool factor"; anything higher than that is OTL. my 2¢

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:30 PM

Def
While I really like these, I think the price points are "out to lunch". You can purchase 8gb flash drives for $10-12 many places now so I could see maybe pricing a Vic Slim 8gb up to $20-25 because of the "cool factor"; anything higher than that is OTL. my 2¢

I agree with you.  I wonder if they will just sell the inserts for these in the future, as the capacities increase.  It wouldn't be such a bad investment if you could buy the complete ALOX drive now, then upgrade with competitively-priced inserts later.
- Terry

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:52 PM

Def

I agree with you.  I wonder if they will just sell the inserts for these in the future, as the capacities increase.  It wouldn't be such a bad investment if you could buy the complete ALOX drive now, then upgrade with competitively-priced inserts later.

+1
They do look very cool!  :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:53:05 PM
Alox USB drive?  :drool:

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 10:47:21 PM
Hmm they're pretty awesome indeed, but to me that slim model should have a single extra layer for 2 tools: blade on one side, and nail+screwdriver on the other (or have two slim alox models: one with tools, other with just the memory)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 01:41:07 AM
Do you know if the new slim memory chips will fit into the older memory knives?  ??? It kind of looks like 2 slim chips would fit where one old one would. :pok:

I asked that too, and yes, the double slot will fit an old SwissMemory stick.

Or, you can purchase upgrade sticks and double them up in your old Swiss Memory model.

Def

$40 is MSRP.  Street price will, as usual, be significantly lower.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 02:21:49 AM
Much better than the memory price. We should organize a group buy through the cat man :)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:13 AM
I don't know about all of them, but some of them without the fingerprint scanner (that one has it also), have the AES encryption hardware built-in so they are worth a little more.  In the past though these have not been competitive, but I've found some at good prices.  Unfortunately the stand alone replacement stick, which they have always sold, ahve never been competitive on price either.

I hope these ones really are more price competitive, I'm actually thinking about their SSD USB drive they showed at CES, but I bet that won't be cheap. 

I'm not sure of the logic of having the dual Flashdrives in the one body either.  I'm sure they had some idea in mind for that, but I'm not convinced I'd find it useful. Maybe a home/work type of setup or one encrypted, the other not?  Hmmm... maybe there are some useful applications for it.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 01:36:14 PM
My thought on the dual flash drives was just of smart usage of space and old SwissMemory/SwissFlash bodies; aside from that, it allows people to "cheap" out and purchase two smaller USB drives to get the actual amount of space they want without shelling out insane money (providing, of course, that the two smaller drives would be cheaper than the single larger drive).

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:42 PM
A Slim Duo in RAID 0, twice as fast!

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 02:21:11 PM
 :pok: Geek ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 02:32:57 PM
These look great!  :drool:

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 03:47:04 PM
I wonder why they don't put the USB drives in a Cybertool. Seems like a natural fit. It wouldn't take the whole slot so it might fit in with a magnifying glass.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 03:52:17 PM
Probably because most people insert the drive still attached to the knife/casing and having a CT hanging off your computer is a fast way to bust the USB port :)

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 04:09:12 PM
Probably because most people insert the drive still attached to the knife/casing and having a CT hanging off your computer is a fast way to bust the USB port :)

True but with the size of some USB drives they could be fitted in the scales and be no thicker than the Voyager.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 08:34:03 PM
Any picture of the +500GB one? eSATA and USB, since USB is speed limited eSATA will be much faster!
P.S it is not slim its alittle thicker, no storage problem :)
Get more tools

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:43:25 PM
ell i just love me, ya love em!
 :drool:

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 09:00:13 PM

I have the SwissFlash 2GB it has been very helpful :) Just incredible how the storage has developed, my laptop has 60GB, i read that slim can get up to64GB? It is crazy :)
Get more tools

nl Offline jan.

Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:28 PM
I like to buy them with 64MB or with dummies it it because I'm an alox collector an not an user.
With so much GB in it what I never use are they to expensive for just collecting and no use.
The silver flash and flight, how more GB in it how higer the price. I've seen them at ebay with high GB for more then 130$ and with just 256MB for 10$.
But I'm the only one who likes to buy the low MB or GB I think.
So I hope these new ones are payable for me because I needs them to complete my alox collection.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:45 PM

True but with the size of some USB drives they could be fitted in the scales and be no thicker than the Voyager.

Yes I agree, a scale version would be sensible (and is doable).  Putting one in one of the layers would also be nice but not with the current attachment system.

ca Offline somniloquist

Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 05:30:31 PM
If I could get a Minichamp with one of these inside of it, I think that would get my nod as the greatest 58mm version ever.  :gimme:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%