Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Free LM Style CS "mod", (1 of 3): Flat bit screwdriver

mzil · 7 · 6489

um Offline mzil

Free LM Style CS "mod", (1 of 3): Flat bit screwdriver
on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:26 PM
I bought a Leatherman Style CS today and wanted to share three free mods I've discovered for this tool. Everyone can undertake these because they require no tools or structural alterations! :) They aren't perfect, but heck, if anyone complains they aren't as good as they expected, I promise to give you a double your money back guarantee for each one. ;)

This post's "mod" is a short screwdriver with interchangeable Leatherman flat bits, just like the Style CS's big daddy, the Leatherman Skeletool CX. It requires no tools or structural modification, at least in this initial "as is" form, and is 100% free (assuming you already own some LM flat bits). The bits are held in with the friction of the carabiner gate (latch) spring and won't fall, or shake out either, but it is not as snugly and securely held as a LM multi-tool that really is made to take these bits and there is some degree of unwanted "wobble". It is not as strong overall as a full size LM with a real bit holder either and is meant for light duty work or small applications only, that don't need a lot of heavy torque. This mod could be greatly improved upon by adding some metal support within the carabiner area, which I may later undertake, however that would require tools and additional parts and I first wanted to document the "as is" functionality of this "mod" to everyone first:

There are a few good methods to hold the bit driver and they are similar to commonly used grips with a real screwdriver so they will seem natural.  One method is to hold your index finger along the edge applying a slight inward pressure to help prevent unwanted lateral motion. You have to do this on the gate side of the carabiner or else you will be *adding*, not reducing, unwanted lateral bit motion. For the strongest bit grabbing hold, which allows for greater torque (useful for tightening a screw firmly or loosening a really tight one), I recommend holding it by pinching the carabiner on the open channel side edge slightly, while rotating it in actual usage, for added strength and to prevent flex. This is the "power grip":

Be advised, applying too much force for a stubborn, tight screw can potentially bend or break the carabiner and I of course take no responsibility for any bodily harm or product damage due to this or any other of my mods.

A good upgrade for stability and strength would be the addition or a square nut, or similar, small piece of metal, screwed in and held in place inside the carabiner walls through this existing hole, as shown conceptually in the green here:

As far as I can tell, the carabiner and bottle opener would still remain fully functional.

[P.S. I may never get around to undertaking this mod, but anyone else here interested is welcome to try it and post their results, as long as they give me credit for the original concept! Thanks. :) ]

Here's a Youtube video of the "mod" in action:

"Like father, like son."  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:53:13 PM by mzil »

us Offline Tsquare

Re: Free LM Style CS "mod", (1 of 3): Flat bit screwdriver
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:56 AM
Now thats a great little mod.  Thanks for sharing that.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:32:07 AM
Sweet  :tu: :tu: :tu:

Thanks,
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:59:38 AM
Nice, good job.
:)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:07:58 AM
Excellent. Hey LM, make it really work for the Style CS II.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:12 AM
Great simple idea,and welcome to the forums. :cheers:& :salute:

Offline kareem

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:28:30 PM
dude
awesome!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds