Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic translucent scales...Ruby, Sapphire, Onyx, and...brown??

us Offline Aloxfan

I came across this review of the Cybertool 34 by Vicfan:
http://www.vicfan.com/2011/01/victorinox-cybertool-34/

He claims the scales are Onyx, but in the photos they appear to be a faded Ruby color.  Is there a four color variant in the line of Victorinox transparent scales?  I love the color that appears in his photos, but I wonder if it is just the camera?  He describes them as a brownish color, so maybe it was just a color defect from the factory that worked in his favor?

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Vic translucent scales...Ruby, Sapphire, Onyx, and...brown??
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:00:25 AM
Looks right to me. The rough textured scales (nylon, I think) that come on the electronic scaled knives are a more pure greyish-brown, and are what most think of as "onyx". I have an onyx Cybertool 29 and it looks almost exactly like this one.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:21:18 AM
Yup for some reasons there are two colors labeled Onyx.  Probably a story behind that because the brownish-red color is certainly not something one would correctly label as Onyx.  Search Onyx and you'll find some earlier talk on it, it came up again quite recently.  There are actually 3 scales, the the two smooth translucent ones, and the now more common textured one for the digital scale tools.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:39:41 AM
One more note - the cellidor onyx color tend to vary a lot with different light sources. Depending on the color temp of the light, the same set of scales will look more greyish or more brownish.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 02:55:29 AM
Time for this picture again :)

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:10:54 AM
it's so perdy.... :drool:

here's my CT34Lite translucent "Ruby" ones

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 05:24:29 AM
Time for this picture again :)

(Image removed from quote.)
Neil you don't happen to know where I can get a set of these "brown onyx" scales do you?  I can't locate Cybertool for sales with these. Only the Ruby, Sapphire, and dark gray Onyx can be found online.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:45:49 AM
Neil you don't happen to know where I can get a set of these "brown onyx" scales do you?

Funny thing is that I actually bought these scales from Neil :D

The different versions of the onyx scalse have been discussed before by the way: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,21658.msg460541/topicseen.html#msg460541
And thanks for the link to my blog ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 05:39:14 PM
Onyx has been discontinued for a while now.  Reiner had one of my last sets.  Your best bet is to obtain some pulls from an onyx knife but determining which colour variation you have before purchase would be difficult unless you can find one in a b&m store  :-\
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:06:20 PM
Well since I like the gray Onyx as well I purchased a Cybertool 34 from an online vendor who still has them in stock (they actually have a B&M store as well).  The funny part was the price was less than everyone else selling the Ruby and Sapphire ones, yet I personally think the Onyx is a better looking color.  I'll be happy either way, but I will be ecstatic if they happen to ship me these "brown" Onyx scales!

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 03:20:38 AM
Interestingly enough I received my Onyx scaled Cybertool 34.  The back scale is very dark grey, but the front scale is lighter with the top being close to this brown.  Very strange?  I wonder if they slowly fade to the brown color over time?  Definitely a different scale though, as these Onyx scales do not have the extra small tweezer slot.  They are PLUS scales though!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:26 AM
I beleive only the digital scales have the small tweezer slot, none of the regular transparent scales have that.  The digital scales are semi transparent but that's were the similarity ends. 

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 05:21:35 AM
What do you mean by "digital" scales?  I thought that was a reference to them being the ones that come on the Cybertool.  The photos I posted are a Cybertool 34, so are you staying these are not "digital" scales?

I just realized I think you mean "digital" as a reference to the scales that come on the Voyager and Altimeter knives, right?  Well the ones posted at the beginning of this thread are not the scales that come on those knives, as they do not have the matte texture nor do they have the opening for the lcd display.  They do have the slot for the small tweezers though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:25:02 AM by Aloxfan »

us Offline Aloxfan

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:38 AM
Any brown Onyx came up on ebay, unfortunately the scales are pretty beaten up.  I think they are even cracked in one of the corners.  Nice to see they are floating around though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORINOX-SWISS-KNIFE-CYBERTOOL-34-SWISS-ARMY-6372-/300548027520

us Offline sparky42

i don't know, that color looks like bronze to me, i've also seen it called root beer, brown, reddish onyx, & a couple other mish mashes... it also reminds me of the "smokey" color of motorcycle face shields of yore...
i've got a spartan, & it's cool for the scales alone which are in pretty good shape, thought about switching them out & adding that color to my collection, but figured if they are rare the resale might be nice...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 11:25:15 PM
If I remember correctly we figured out some years ago that the brown onyx was actually faded black onyx. I think RedRamage had one set in a display cabinet fade to brown. :think: Probably one of the reasons why black onyx scales aren't available anymore.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%