Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New? SOG Crosscut 2.0

J-sews · 37 · 13266

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
New? SOG Crosscut 2.0
on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:19 PM
The Crosscut is back in the SOG catalog this year. :) As it is nicknamed the 2.0 version, I inferred there would be some significant changes/improvements.

What few changes there are though are rather subtle. :-\ Most obvious are the button head torx pivot screws, which replace the hex bolt fasteners used on the original version.

new 2.0 model on left, original model on right

I also noted new cuts in the handles, right at the scissor pivot, which act as a backspring of sorts for the scissor jaws. Can't say as this is necessarily an "improvement" though, as I never encountered any problems with the old set up.

But perhaps instead of being disappointed that there were almost no "good" changes, I should rejoice in that there were no "bad" changes either..? ::) You see, the SOG Crosscut production has been moved to China.

Happily, the quality is still every bit as good as the original, as far as I can determine. :salute: Metal thickness is the same, polished finishes are as good or better, knife blade edge and scissor edges are just as sharp. Pivots are strong, snap is good. Nothing about it feels junky and cheap. The component parts are almost identical to those in the original, but not quite. There are just enough minor differences to show that the Chinese factory is not using the same stamping dies as the ones SOG used.

I'm not thrilled to see SOG moving manufacturing overseas, but I will say this is about the best built Chinese-made multitool I've seen. :salute: Definitely worth the <$15 asking price.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: New? SOG Crosscut 2.0
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:20:30 PM
Great comparison Bob..  :tu: I'm glad to hear that there's no quality issues with it.. ;) :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:10:19 AM
After seeing the radical differences between the old and new Micro Toolclip I was concerned about the new CrossCut.  That is, at least, until I saw it at SHOT this year and couldn't tell the difference between it and the old one I had at home.  Of course, I didn't have an old one to compare it to, and I didn't even spot the subtle differences you have pointed out.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me that thought they were pretty darned good, and at the price there's no excuse not to own one!  Shameless plug, but Travis is an authorized SOG dealer, so if anyone wanted to try a group buy they should start sending him messages!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:48:00 AM
Thanks for the info.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:04:07 AM
Good to know, maybe I will get a replacement. I lost my Cross Cut to a friend who borrowed it and decided to keep it. Still got the Cross Grip!  :salute:

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:26:32 AM
I'm already set thanks to donvito  :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:09:01 PM
Good spots Bob  :tu: :tu:.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 04:27:00 PM
Good to know, maybe I will get a replacement. I lost my Cross Cut to a friend who borrowed it and decided to keep it. Still got the Cross Grip!  :salute:

I have the same story, only backwards.  I got my CrossCut back, and now I need a replacement CrossGrip.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 04:37:12 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Couldn't they change the wording to read "twice the cutting strength" or something along those lines? ::) :D

BTW how about a side-by-side photoshoot/comparison vs a Micra? :pok: :D

Offline e17

• SOG! SOG! SOG!
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:55:52 AM
Nice review. Thanks  :salute:

I like the small compound stuff, but... do I see "China" on the blade ? ???

I just wonder why they changed the hex screws by these star like screws type. They look great, but does a hex key do the job for tool replacement ?

My wife has a micra, but I find it too heavy on a key ring. Any issue with the weight ?

EDIT : it seems it is tork screws, so hex key will do the job...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:58:20 AM by e17 »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:56:34 AM

Couldn't they change the wording to read "twice the cutting strength" or something along those lines? ::) :D

BTW how about a side-by-side photoshoot/comparison vs a Micra? :pok: :D

Hah!! :D I hadn't picked up on that! :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:11 AM
Nice review. Thanks  :salute:

I like the small compound stuff, but... do I see "China" on the blade ? ???

I just wonder why they changed the hex screws by these star like screws type. They look great, but does a hex key do the job for tool replacement ?

My wife has a micra, but I find it too heavy on a key ring. Any issue with the weight ?

It does indeed say China on the blade, as well as Made in China on the package. :-\ I must say though there is no detectable difference in quality between this Crosscut and the older Made in USA ones. :salute:

No idea why they went with the button head torx screws. :think: I don't have a small torx driver that size handy at the moment, but I'm sure it would disassemble just like the old hex bolt ones.

The SOG Crosscut is just a tad bigger in all directions than the Micra. :-\ I'll put up some comparison pics momentarily.

Offline e17

• SOG! SOG! SOG!
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08:07 AM
It does indeed say China on the blade, as well as Made in China on the package. :-\ I must say though there is no detectable difference in quality between this Crosscut and the older Made in USA ones. :salute:

No idea why they went with the button head torx screws. :think: I don't have a small torx driver that size handy at the moment, but I'm sure it would disassemble just like the old hex bolt ones.

The SOG Crosscut is just a tad bigger in all directions than the Micra. :-\ I'll put up some comparison pics momentarily.

Thanks.
I guess a small  hex would do the job.

15$ ?? Hum... Resistance is futile  :D

EDIT: CrossCut : 1.7oz / Micra : 1.8oz
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:57:48 AM by e17 »

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 08:19:59 AM
What do they mean by "Lifetime Warranty"? (Last pic of original posting).
I see the mention www.sogknives.com
Will they repair as Leatherman?
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:51 PM
What do they mean by "Lifetime Warranty"? (Last pic of original posting).
I see the mention www.sogknives.com
Will they repair as Leatherman?

SOG's warranty department is a massive PITA to deal with.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 03:43:37 AM

"These new bloody Crosscut pliers are useless"  :P :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:06 PM
Thanks to Bob my crosscut 2.0 came in the mail today.. :salute: (I owe you one..) :D
The quality is top notch and I won't have any issues buying their tools regardless point of origin..  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 05:47:43 AM
Glad to hear yours arrived Allan. :) Be sure to let us know how that Twice the Gripping Strength things works for you! ;) :D

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 09:04:24 PM
SOG could have improved it by adding gear covers so the tool wouldn't tear a hole in pockets.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 10:25:26 PM
Mates, I really want this tool, but shipping to Austria is pretty expensive, most sellers ask more than the tool costs. So, if there is a group buy, or a MTO version, or any other affordable way to get one of those, please PM me.

Thanks!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 06:08:56 PM
New ones are selling on eBay for $12 to $15 USD right now. I could grab one and send it to you if you'd like. :salute:

Anybody else want one?  :)

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 10:20:23 AM
Thank you Sir :salute:
Please just PN me with a total, so I can Paypal you the money. :tu:

Man, the US is multitool paradise...
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 07:28:28 AM
Thanks to Bob :salute: :tu: who is just awesome, my Crosscut 2.0 found its way ocer the ocean yesterday.  :mail:

I really like it. It replaced my LM Squirt S4 on my keychain, and will stay there. Overall fit and finish is great, the tool feels solid and strong. I'm really happy with my new little EDC! Great job SOG!  :tu:
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 08:08:30 PM
I don't understand how the quality of this tool is so amazing but the micro tool clip for the same money is so much worse when it comes to quality. I am not just talking about the defective one I got but the overall fit and finish is very different.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:53 AM
I don't understand how the quality of this tool is so amazing but the micro tool clip for the same money is so much worse when it comes to quality. I am not just talking about the defective one I got but the overall fit and finish is very different.

Good point! :salute: For the same money, the new Crosscut is WAAAAYYY better built than the new Micro Toolclip!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 05:32:10 AM

Good point! :salute: For the same money, the new Crosscut is WAAAAYYY better built than the new Micro Toolclip!

My guess would be that it's an all-steel tool rather than a plastic and steel affair.  Much easier to design and make the tool when you don't have to worry about handle flex.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 09:09:18 AM
My Micro Toolclips are just fine, but yes, the quality of the Crosscut is better. Maybe SOG used a different maker?
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 06:53:12 PM
My Micro Toolclips are just fine, but yes, the quality of the Crosscut is better. Maybe SOG used a different maker?

Yes indeed, the new Crosscut comes from Taiwan, whilst the Micro ToolClips are made somewhere in China

Oop, sorry about that, I was thinking of other recent SOG tools that are made in Taiwan. :-[ :-[ The Crosscut is indeed marked Made in China. Thanks for the correction Jie :salute: 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:10:00 AM by J-sews »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 07:41:52 PM

Yes indeed, the new Crosscut comes from Taiwan, whilst the Micro ToolClips are made somewhere in China

Are you sure? Seems really strange that they'd source from taiwan but stamp china, especially that their other taiwan stuff actually says taiwan on it.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 04:10:57 AM
Oop, my bad. :-[ Thanks Jie :salute: 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%