Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swedish standard issue army knife

au Offline Cyclone82

Swedish standard issue army knife
on: April 06, 2011, 05:14:59 PM
What knife are the Swedish army issed currently and in the past? Do they get a pocket knife like Germany, Switzerland, Holland etc?

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Swedish standard issue army knife
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:59 PM
I don't think it is standard issue, but the Fallkniven F1 is issued as a survival knife.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:08:39 AM
WOW  :drool: Who gets that beauty issued, special forces? That one's on my all time wish list. Very high end knife for any army to be issuing.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:04:20 AM
Looks pretty big for a pocket knife :o Do they get a can opener or something aswell?

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:14:55 AM
The F1 is mainly issued to their air force pilots as a survival knife. I suppose it must also make its way to other units that may have need of it. As to the ordinary soldier, no idea, sorry.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:55:26 AM
I've seen pics of Mora's , not sure if issued or private purchases .

Chris

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:15:34 PM
Would there be any place i can find out? We really need a whole thread on just military issue knives i reckon. Im sure im not the only one collecting them.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:24:21 PM
Do we have any Swedish members?  :think:

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 04:45:38 PM
I'm bumping an old thread, but since the question was never answered I thought I could assist.

I have not done the service myself but I did some search on Swedish forums and the standard issue knife (not fighting knife) is a Mora of some sort. The plastic handle would be green instead of red.

In later years it seems like most units are issued the Mora 2000.

Some elite units are issued the Fällkniven A1.

All the pilots, helicopter, airplane, and fighter, are issued the Fällkniven F1.

Fällkniven originally developed the S1 to sell to the marine, but the marine was not interested so Fällkniven conveniently re-named it the "forest knife".

F1 (F stand for "flyg" as in "flygvapnet" (meaning "air force))
S1 where supposed to stand for "sjö" meaning "sea". Fällkniven later changed the meaning to "skog" (forest)
A1 stands for Arme (army)

I found this page which is in Swedish but there is a lot of pictures which are very interesting. You can translate the page through google Chrome if you want to read. You can see some pictures of issued A1 and F1 as well as the history of fighting knives and how they were influenced my American knives.

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/knivar/se_mil_knivar.htm

In the end MT enthusiasts get a treat in that the Leatherman Crunch were issued to Swedish soldiers serving under UN during the war in former Yugoslavia.

p.s.
Its important to note that soldiers are free to carry their own knives during service as long as the knives are below 30 cm in length and are serious tools and not gimmick knives.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:26:07 PM by kinskibrain »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 05:16:02 PM
F1's are amazing small knives.  I have an A1 as my full size survival knife, by far the best knife I've ever owned.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 06:29:01 PM
The Crunch was an interesting choice for issue over the regular folding Leathermans (or sliding Gerbers) also available then. :salute:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 07:20:29 PM
Thanks for answering that kinskibrain.

I remember when that thread first started.  I had hoped to get an answer to it. :tu:

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 07:38:22 PM
F1's are amazing small knives.  I have an A1 as my full size survival knife, by far the best knife I've ever owned.

Yes own the F1, the A1 and the WM1 and they are all great. To someone looking for a knife I would recommend the F1 as it is the most versatile. The WM1 is great for hiking. I used to own the TK2 but I later traded it away. Something I regret sorely as in perspective the TK2 was the best knife I ever had.

I got tired of all the questions whether my TK2 was military issue. (people naturally thought so when they saw the coat of arms). Fallkniven says that the TK is just a tribute to Swedish knife design but I think their real motive is that they want a knife series that looks like classic Swedish military issue. If you look at the old Mora knives on that web page I linked to you can see that they have the three crowns etched on the blade just as Fallkniven have done on their TK series.  :whistle:

The F1 is an amazing knife and I really love it. I mostly carry my Bark River Aurora these days but its not as dear to me as the F1 which I will never sell.  :salute:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:53:35 PM by kinskibrain »

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:42:10 PM
Thanks for answering that kinskibrain.

I remember when that thread first started.  I had hoped to get an answer to it. :tu:

You're very welcome.  :)

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 11:54:00 PM
Interesting stuff, kinskibrain. Wonder why the navy didn't want the S1 model, cost issues? And what are they using instead, moras?

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 12:57:57 PM
Interesting stuff, kinskibrain. Wonder why the navy didn't want the S1 model, cost issues? And what are they using instead, moras?
Thanks Carlos, I have no idea why the navy wasn't interested in the S1. I suppose the military is very pragmatic and if we're honest about it, a Mora knife is actually a very good knife. The Fallkniven knives IMO are more ergonomic and have much better handles and handling, but as far as cutting go I think a Mora is just as efficient. Thing is, a mora with its scandi grind will actually bite wood far better than the F1. The F1 is a strong survival knife so the edge is relatively thick convex. A Mora can be crazy sharp with its thin scandi geometry and will bite very deep in wood. The steel used in Moras are excellent. Swedish iron ore is the purest in the world, and I think this partly the reason why Moras became so famous. They stayed sharp far longer than anything in their price range and sharpened better. In carbon mora knives you get high quality 1095 steel and stainless models are Sandvik 12c27.

I still prefer the tactile response I get from my F1, it seems to cut the wood like a dance. Very smooth and powerful. But for the normal soldier, a good quality Mora 2000 will be more than enough knife for most tasks and to buy A1's for the whole army is probably thought of as unnecessary.

The A1 is issued to elite ranger/hunter units, as I wrote previously.

Classic mora knives with the unpainted birch handles are laminated carbon. That is where Fallkniven got their inspiration from. Blade lamination has a long tradition in Sweden - a technique for making the blade stronger using a hard core and flexible sides.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 07:36:18 PM
I'd imagine it has something to do with each S1 cost 13 or 14 times of a Mora.  :D

Offline paulie.4x

Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 04:43:57 AM
Say Heah Guys and Gals, I have a Fallkniven Njord and the A-1, I bought it at a very good price on YouTube the knife itself was in mint conditiin, the sheath was tearing a little on the belt loop (nylon), So I contacted Fallkniven and they were so nice that I even was helped by the C.E.O and a sheath was replaced, To me that is awesome Customer Service.  I'm getting the H-1, I really like my A-1 and I think Fallkniven makes a great knife and I think they have the market with their laminated blades. To have a hard steel to hold a great edge a high RC and not to chip is a hard thing to accomllish, I think they have some great blades. I like a 6" belt knife, It's on the smaller spectrum of what I like for a Survival Knife, Actually I like a 7"+ Survival Knife.  But the Fallkniven A-1 and my Modified Rodent 6 are the two that I feel comfortable as a survival knife, Not that my CarbonV S.R.K isn't a good one or my Benchmade #156, which has a partial serrated blade in D2, I feel they are a bit too lite. I want a knife to chop a little and I want to know I can baton it if needed, this way I can baton chop down a dead tree for fire, But in a survival situation all safeties are off. That's why I think my Modde Rodent 6 shines. Originally it was a .265" thick,  but I had it thinned down and the top gaurd taken off,  I really like the SR101 Steel,  I think it's a little more forgiving when I hit a stone by accident or something harder. I seldom see any chips where on my A-1 I do, Don't get me wrong, I love my A-1, But for a well rounded tough as nail that chops great and baton's great my Modde Rodent 6 is my Fav's.  The area where they blended after taking off the too gaurd allows better hand movement when I choo, and when I had it thin down, the relief edge was made a little higher and to me it worked out suoer, I can make great curls because of that, and It's still robust enough that I think is the toughest 6" knife I own. Well good people that's my $00.02 worth.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 08:15:19 PM
I've enjoyed this thread!!! Thanks guys!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31