Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Blacktip multitool

J-sews · 171 · 43547

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SOG Blacktip multitool
Reply #120 on: March 13, 2015, 01:19:36 PM
Dollar to pound, it's the best value in a multitool out there!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: March 14, 2015, 03:33:04 AM
What surprised me was the light weight of this tool.I expected it,because of the size,to be much heavier.

This is only the second SOG multi I've ever bought.The compound leverage created by the gears make this the smoothest multi I currently own.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #122 on: April 12, 2015, 11:00:08 PM
Been using my Blacktip for the past couple of months and overall, it is really a nice piece. The on/off switches for the main blade and v cutter got to the point of annoyance that I removed them. Very easy to do as here is only a little spring loaded clip that holds the switches in the frame. I'll bet they were only put there for product liability purposes anyway! Tool is very smooth to operate and the extra reach of the long plied head comes in handy quite often.
NRA Life member

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #123 on: April 13, 2015, 11:52:57 AM
Got my BlackTip from West Marine the other day. I super glued the "safety" tabs in the OFF position and added the awl from another SOG to it, right where the plastic spacer was. My question is, what's SOG's model number (S60, B61, etc.) for this? It's not on SOG's website, and the packaging never mentions it. It's made in China though.
This is gonna hurt...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #124 on: April 21, 2015, 04:18:29 AM
Got my BlackTip from West Marine the other day. I super glued the "safety" tabs in the OFF position and added the awl from another SOG to it, right where the plastic spacer was. My question is, what's SOG's model number (S60, B61, etc.) for this? It's not on SOG's website, and the packaging never mentions it. It's made in China though.

Actually they are made in Taiwan last I knew..?

Some folks would say China / Taiwan = same thing, but in my experience the tools produced in Taiwan tend to be of MUCH better quality than those made in China. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Kiah

Reply #125 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:17 AM

Some folks would say China / Taiwan = same thing, but in my experience the tools produced in Taiwan tend to be of MUCH better quality than those made in China. :salute:

Packaging on mine says "Made in China".  No mention of Taiwan.

us Offline JNieporte

Reply #126 on: April 21, 2015, 12:47:42 PM

Packaging on mine says Made in China.
This is gonna hurt...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #127 on: April 21, 2015, 08:18:08 PM

Packaging on mine says Made in China.
Mine too
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #128 on: April 22, 2015, 02:43:20 AM
Hmmm, very interesting. My Blacktip packaging says Taiwan. (As does my Sailing Multitool packaging, as well as that of the Paladin PT-540) 

Of course, I bought all of these tools a few years ago. Must be they moved production to China sometime since then?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline buck

Reply #129 on: May 07, 2015, 04:14:25 PM
This guy has a handful of West Marine tools left if you contact him directly.  Very nice guy but he's not giving them away.  I bought one yesterday, I'm a sucker for anything with a marlinspike.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261878757459
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline buck

Reply #130 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:25 PM
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blacktip--fisherman-s-ii-multi-tool--11752177

Still a few Blacktips left @ $29.77

How can you bitch at that price?  What else can you get for $29.77?  A Leatherman Wingman?

Blacktip eats Wingman as a snack.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #131 on: May 07, 2015, 07:50:55 PM
So tempting. I just can't do it, lol

Looks like a real beast of a tool. Kind of a shame they haven't come up with longer implements to take advantage of those long handles.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline buck

Reply #132 on: May 09, 2015, 09:10:19 AM
Got my West Marine sailing tool in, boy that guy is a fast shipper.  I love it.  How can you not love a multitool with a marlinspike.

Regarding the hole in the file, I believe that is a shackle opener and that's why there is no grit inside for sharpening fishhooks.  The packaging says "file/shackle key"  At first I thought the shackle key was the end of the hex wrench tool but the packaging also lists "3 wrenches (#8, #10, 1/4")".  I'm not sure what use the crimper has on a sailing/sailor's tool; but I'm no sailor or sailing buff.

I wonder if SOG would put the power assist feature back in?

Has anybody replaced the plastic spacer on a West Marine (or a power assist or a blacktip) with scissors or an awl or something else?  I see a possible issue with the one hand opening  stud on the sheepsfoot blade.  It might be in the way of the adjacent tool.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #133 on: May 19, 2015, 01:43:35 AM
Went out fishing today with my Blacktip. Removed hooks from fish, performed some minor surgery for catch and release as well as the usual line cutting chores. Excellent results in all tasks! The long needle nose pliers were awesome for getting down inside the fish's mouth to get at lures too. What a great tool at such a reasonable price. Think I might buy a couple more of them for gifts!
NRA Life member

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #134 on: May 19, 2015, 01:44:02 AM
Went out fishing today with my Blacktip. Removed hooks from fish, performed some minor surgery for catch and release as well as the usual line cutting chores. Excellent results in all tasks! The long needle nose pliers were awesome for getting down inside the fish's mouth to get at lures too. What a great tool at such a reasonable price. Think I might buy a couple more of them for gifts!
NRA Life member

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #135 on: May 19, 2015, 02:56:02 AM

Glad to hear you are using yours and its working well.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #136 on: May 19, 2015, 03:18:53 AM
Man I'm having a hard time avoiding this one, at that price I feel like I'm obligated to try it.  If only my wife felt the same way...

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #137 on: May 19, 2015, 03:25:20 AM
Man I'm having a hard time avoiding this one, at that price I feel like I'm obligated to try it.  If only my wife felt the same way...

Its easier to ask for forgiveness that permission. Just saying.  :whistle:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #138 on: May 19, 2015, 06:14:58 AM

Its easier to ask for forgiveness that permission. Just saying.  :whistle:

:D

us Offline buck

Reply #139 on: May 19, 2015, 11:00:42 AM
I bought an extra and gave it to my brother who is an avid kayak salt water fisherman.  He said it's perfect and going with him for sure.

Which is worse a momentary $29 problem with your spouse or a lifetime of self asskicking for not jumping on the multitool bargain of the century.  This tool should be at least $100.

Just order it, tell her to treat herself to a new pair of shoes and be done with it.

Does anyone know if that mongo V cutter will cut steel leader?  Just curious.  Obviously the wire cutters would.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:04:55 AM by buck »

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #140 on: May 19, 2015, 11:24:04 AM
Is this what your asking about?

If so, no. However, it makes for a sweet wire stripper.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #141 on: May 27, 2015, 06:55:22 AM
Ack! I've just ordered one thanks to this thread..  :facepalm:

Ah, who am i kidding, I can't wait! :D :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #142 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:50 AM

Haven't seen you around in quite some time.  :pok:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #143 on: May 27, 2015, 08:56:11 AM

I think i was a senior in HS last i was here ha. I turned 20 the other day and found my box of knives and multis. Life has taken some getting used to, if ya know what i mean ;) Surprised you remember me, to be honest  :cheers:

Glad to be back though, y'all are a great group  :salute:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #144 on: May 27, 2015, 09:32:30 AM

I think i was a senior in HS last i was here ha. I turned 20 the other day and found my box of knives and multis. Life has taken some getting used to, if ya know what i mean ;) Surprised you remember me, to be honest  :cheers:

Glad to be back though, y'all are a great group  :salute:

We all get busy with life (and/or girls) especially at your age. If you moved or are moving out on your own for the first time that can be a very consuming endeavor as well. Yup, I remember you. Don't underestimate your impact on people whether it be on the forum or in your day to day life. Jeez, I sound like a fortune cookie.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #145 on: May 27, 2015, 11:17:38 AM
Welcome back SAKnight!

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline buck

Reply #146 on: May 27, 2015, 03:43:34 PM
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1276680-SOG-Multi-Tools?p=14808785#post14808785

This guy did some clever modding to get scissors, saw, and file into his BlackTip;  surprised he managed to fit 3 long tools into one side.  I may try that.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #147 on: May 28, 2015, 03:48:21 AM
Welcome back SAKnight!

Nate
That's us mobile

Thanks, great to be back!  :tu:

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #148 on: June 07, 2015, 11:10:51 PM
Good golly miss Molly is this thing enormous, and I've got some big ol' hands! now to look at its pretty shininess :D

Sure, i may not have a use for it, but boy, those pliers are gorgeous. the biggest mt pliers I've seen, and they meet with more precision than any other I've tried, that's all manufacturers. Simply brilliant. Love the sheath, how it has a clip. But slightly annoyed at the fact that if pressure is put on the closed blade, it springs in and flat spots the edge  :ahhh

Not to worry, I have a sharpmaker on the way  >:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #149 on: June 08, 2015, 12:50:40 AM
Welcome back SAKnight, I remember you as well.   It's always good to see members return after a long absence.   :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%