Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Blacktip multitool

J-sews · 171 · 43264

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: SOG Blacktip multitool
Reply #90 on: September 22, 2014, 06:44:22 PM
I have plans to customize the blacktip to make it more useful.
Added a 3 parts to cart on SOG website, with shipping these three parts already cost as much as the blacktip itself... Never mind, since I will never carry it outside of my home, I guess I will just leave it alone.
Which parts? You can get some Harley Davidson marked ones from SMKW cheap. A buck or so. I'll search for links.

Here they are.

H-D Saw Blade for Multi-tool

File Blade for Multi-tool

Knife Blade

Serrated Blade

Phillips Screwdriver

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #91 on: September 23, 2014, 02:01:41 AM
Mate it was almost the price of the tool itself to ship to Aus/NZ...so I used my shipping address I set up in US. All in all it will cost me about $13 to reach my door.

Cheers

I went through their checkout process & their cheapest shipping option too Oz came to around $51us + the tool cost.
Way to pricey for me.

I've been wanting one too. We could split the costs and get someone to forward them from the States. I've got family coming back through Oz mid November that could bring mine back.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #92 on: September 23, 2014, 04:38:07 AM
Mate it was almost the price of the tool itself to ship to Aus/NZ...so I used my shipping address I set up in US. All in all it will cost me about $13 to reach my door.

Cheers

I went through their checkout process & their cheapest shipping option too Oz came to around $51us + the tool cost.
Way to pricey for me.

I've been wanting one too. We could split the costs and get someone to forward them from the States. I've got family coming back through Oz mid November that could bring mine back.

Tempting mate  :ahhh but setting up our 4wd for our camping adventure has lead to extreme wallet failure  :cry: :cry:.
Thanks for the offer though mate  :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #93 on: September 23, 2014, 07:00:03 AM

Cheers

Way to pricey for me.

Tempting mate  :ahhh but setting up our 4wd for our camping adventure has lead to extreme wallet failure  :cry: :cry:.

No problem. Now I have to decide which I'll go for out of the Blacktip, Swisstool, OHT or MP600.  :think:

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #94 on: September 23, 2014, 07:33:58 AM

Cheers

Way to pricey for me.

No problem. Now I have to decide which I'll go for out of the Blacktip, Swisstool, OHT or MP600.  :think:

OHT gets my vote, followed by the Swisstool :)

MP600s are a dime a dozen, you can get them pretty much any time for just over $25 from the mil surplus sellers on eBay.
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #95 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:09 AM

Cheers

Way to pricey for me.

OHT gets my vote, followed by the Swisstool :)

MP600s are a dime a dozen, you can get them pretty much any time for just over $25 from the mil surplus sellers on eBay.

I was thinking the Blacktip first cause if I can get time off work I can go fishing up your way after christmas.  :)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #96 on: September 23, 2014, 08:48:44 AM
The price has gone up to US$40.   :twak:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #97 on: September 23, 2014, 09:07:11 AM
The bucking price goes up n down.  ???
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #98 on: September 23, 2014, 09:48:08 AM

You've not been looking hard enough. Couple of weeks ago I picked my 3rd BO MP600 US Military edition for just over $25.  :pok:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #99 on: September 23, 2014, 09:58:55 AM

You've not been looking hard enough. Couple of weeks ago I picked my 3rd BO MP600 US Military edition for just over $25.  :pok:

The Blacktip is now US$40.

I've only been looking for the MP600 locally so far.
Plus I'll need a few to make up one with the tools I want.
Not really in a hurry for that though as its just for interests sake.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #100 on: September 23, 2014, 11:02:52 AM

Prolly because there's been a recent spike in orders... :P  Sorry mate, I take full blame for this one :-)

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #101 on: October 04, 2014, 07:48:02 AM
If you will cause more blacktips to go into the hands of more mto members then you are to be lauded for your gallant deeds!

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #102 on: October 14, 2014, 04:19:51 AM

Prolly because there's been a recent spike in orders... :P  Sorry mate, I take full blame for this one :-)

Has it landed?

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #103 on: October 14, 2014, 04:25:47 AM

Has it landed?

Landed and gifted away the very same day...the frickin' thing is unnecessary extra-long with a lot of internal space wasted/unused. The fisherman-sized plier head doesn't warrant the extra handle length, well not in its entirety.

Also, while they 'extended' the scales, no one in the design team thought extending the internal miniature-sized tools would be a good idea. Mind boggles. 

For me this SOG comes with a design fault my OCD nature just couldn't live with, sorry.

I won't say anything more on this topic, if I was a SOG collector or fan I could probably get over those facts and issues, since I'm not, I couldn't care less  :(

I will hunt for a different model, but the SOG BT Fisherman ain't for me, that's for sure.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: October 14, 2014, 04:36:05 AM

Has it landed?

Landed and gifted away the very same day...the frickin' thing is unnecessary extra-long with a lot of internal space wasted/unused. The fisherman-sized plier head doesn't warrant the extra handle length, well not in its entirety.

Also, while they 'extended' the scales, no one in the design team thought extending the internal miniature-sized tools would be a good idea. Mind boggles. 

For me this SOG comes with a design fault my OCD nature just couldn't live with, sorry.

I won't say anything more on this topic, if I was a SOG collector or fan I could probably get over those facts and issues, since I'm not, I couldn't care less  :(

I will hunt for a different model, but the SOG BT Fisherman ain't for me, that's for sure.

I would have bought it off you.  :twak:  I just want some chunky compound pliers for fishing.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #105 on: October 14, 2014, 04:40:18 AM

Has it landed?

I would have bought it off you.  :twak:  I just want some chunky compound pliers for fishing.

You should have said before... 8)  Mind you, you'd probably have the same feelings about it. If you need that kind of tool, have a look at older Gerber with fishing pliers, they pop up on ebay from time to time, they should be much smaller, lighter and nicer to handle.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #106 on: October 14, 2014, 05:51:55 AM

Has it landed?

I agree, I returned my first blacktip within 24 hours ,  few month later I bought a second one solely as a display piece. I have to say the fit and finish is first class, and the handles line up perfectly, unlike some other bands, starting with letter V. :whistle:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #107 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:37 AM

Has it landed?

You should have said before... 8)  Mind you, you'd probably have the same feelings about it. If you need that kind of tool, have a look at older Gerber with fishing pliers, they pop up on ebay from time to time, they should be much smaller, lighter and nicer to handle.

I'm not interested in smaller lighter pliers, I want the biggest pliers with compound mech/gears.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #108 on: October 14, 2014, 09:16:12 AM
Blacktip is not bigger,  it is just longer.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #109 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:42 AM

It shares the same size gears as the PowerAssist, PowerLock and PT-540?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: October 14, 2014, 10:09:53 AM
Now I want the Performance Sailing MT but that will be rather hard to find.  ::)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: October 14, 2014, 10:26:10 AM
Now I want the Performance Sailing MT but that will be rather hard to find.  ::)

Why?? Are they discontinued now?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #112 on: October 14, 2014, 11:10:12 AM

I believe it does. However, with the handles being longer it will add more leverage and making them grip even more than before.

Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:40 PM

Why?? Are they discontinued now?

Yes, I believe they are.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #114 on: October 14, 2014, 12:16:47 PM

I believe it does. However, with the handles being longer it will add more leverage and making them grip even more than before.

Nate

Aye.  :tu: 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #115 on: February 22, 2015, 09:38:26 PM
They'll restock. :D They always do.

Prices vary from 40 something to as low as $27 last time (I think someone bought half a dozen once). I'm always tempted when there's one of these sales but cause of the size of it I doubt I'd ever actually use it.

Restock with what? This is it mate, NOS stuff as is, the Blacktip has been discontinued for some time now, has it not?

Told you. :D

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blacktip--fisherman-s-ii-multi-tool--11752177

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #116 on: February 23, 2015, 12:47:24 AM

Prices vary from 40 something to as low as $27 last time (I think someone bought half a dozen once). I'm always tempted when there's one of these sales but cause of the size of it I doubt I'd ever actually use it.

Restock with what? This is it mate, NOS stuff as is, the Blacktip has been discontinued for some time now, has it not?

I think they must have had quite a large pile of Blacktips sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but unless they have more than the total demand then they will run out eventually.  They have run out of the Performance Sailing MT ( I should have bought one of those when they were on clearance  :-\  )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #117 on: February 24, 2015, 09:15:31 AM

I think they must have had quite a large pile of Blacktips sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but unless they have more than the total demand then they will run out eventually.  They have run out of the Performance Sailing MT ( I should have bought one of those when they were on clearance  :-\  )
They're 30$ atm I picked one up against my better judgement go big or go home right? :multi: :facepalm:

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #118 on: February 24, 2015, 03:58:42 PM
Ordered one the other day from West Marine. $29.95 don't think you can go wrong for that piece and it showed they were in stock. :multi:
NRA Life member

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: March 12, 2015, 09:21:26 PM
I bought one as well.How can you possibly go wrong at this price ?

The only SOG multi that I own is an original Paratool from 1993.

DSCN2027.JPG
* DSCN2027.JPG (Filesize: 175.55 KB)
DSCN2031.JPG
* DSCN2031.JPG (Filesize: 187.46 KB)
DSCN2032.JPG
* DSCN2032.JPG (Filesize: 184.83 KB)
DSCN2033.JPG
* DSCN2033.JPG (Filesize: 204.53 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%