Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Saddleback Additions

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
My Saddleback Additions
on: May 05, 2011, 07:16:25 AM
I posted awhile back that I was getting a new Saddleback Large satchel, but I never got around to posting any pics.  I didn't have anyone to take pics of me with the bag, but hopefully those will come.

What i ended up with was a Saddleback Large Satchel in Dark Coffee brown.  I love this bag.  It is as tough as it can be, but beautiful at the same time.  It's a little heavy, but you get used to that.  Here are a couple pics, sorry about the lack of detail.

The problem is, I couldn't stop there.  I ended up ordering a Small gadget pouch in dark coffee that now resides in Gadgetguy's house, but Saddleback also sent me a free gift:
The business card wallet, sitting next to their small wallet that I ordered a day after the other arrived.

I love the wallets so much, I carry them both.  I use the small one for business cards and my keycard at work, and the other one I carry all the time.  It has a small cash pocket in the center so it's perfect for front pocket carry.

It gets worse!  After carrying the wallets and seeing how beautiful they are when they age a bit, I had to have a cover for my Moleskine.  But I didn't just get the small, I actually ordered a large moleskine just so I could get the large moleskine cover!  To top it off, I liked the tobacco color of the large cover so I had to order a bible cover in the same color!

I am still waiting on the large moleskine, it will be here friday.  I need to slow down, but I can honestly say that their notebook cover may be headed this way soon, and I am likely to buy one of their briefcases in Tobacco before Christmas.  My wife says I have a problem...   :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: My Saddleback Additions
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:00:44 AM
Very nice.
Nate

SEND IT!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:00:43 AM
Wow... Nice Saddleback collection... As I see from pic they are great product's....  :tu: :tu: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:23:32 PM
Ruh oh, someone's got a fancy leather habit :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:37:19 PM
Don't post such pics, my bank account can't stand it. :pok: :D Really great taste you have there. I've been drooling over that small wallet for some time now, but as with shipping and customs fees it would be around 70-80usd for me, I never got around to pull the trigger.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:31:40 PM
As my pre-poster mentioned, shipping and customs make those great bags hardly affordable here. I can recommend products by Aunts and Uncles to European buyers. They do not offer so many products, but quality is top notch and they are easier to get over here.

Still, Saddleback is a class of its own, Aunts and Uncles is not the same league.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline sousterre1

My Saddleback Additions
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:43:02 PM
Why are customs so high with these products?
All mushrooms are edible, some only once.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:54:07 PM
Well, in Austria it is 20% tax plus customs. Add that and shipping, and a wallet is twice as expensive as it is to an US customer.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:16 PM
Beautiful collection Mercury.
I love Saddleback stuff, I just bought wallet from them, extremely satisfied with it.
@ sousterre1
I paid $45 for Wallet Bifold Medium + $15 shipping + $20 for customs-so the total was $80, almost twice the price...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:12:32 PM by Vladimir »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:47 PM
Mercury mate, you've definitely got a problem. :D  Very, very nice though. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:58:13 PM
i have a saddleback pouch for my phone, i love it would possibly like a wallet of theirs too but the ups shipping makes it cost too much
I

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 04:38:09 AM
Do you mind showing the business card case and the wallet's edges, so I can see how thick they are, please?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 06:48:10 AM
You sure have a nice SB collection. I have a wallet and love it. A great company to buy from.
"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 06:58:37 AM
Thanks for the great responses!  I know I have a problem as my wife continues to give me crap for it, but I love this stuff!  Many of you here are at fault for a great many MT purchases that I have made in the past!  I am smitten at the moment with my medium moleskine cover in tobacco.  I think I will be ordering a new bag in this color soon. 

Rex, here ya go!

And I forgot to mention that Saddleback included this gem with the Satchel that I purchased.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 09:59:33 AM

:dwts:

Its all too nice!
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 04:33:54 PM
Thanks Mercury.  Just as I feared, it'd be too thick for my liking. :/  Doesn't mean I can't drool over them still, though (like Apple products, too). :D :drool:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 01:27:45 AM
Thanks Mercury.  Just as I feared, it'd be too thick for my liking. :/  Doesn't mean I can't drool over them still, though (like Apple products, too). :D :drool:

Yea, I am drooling over the Ipad ATM, but I cannot justify nearly $600 for technology that will only last a year or so before it is replaced.  I paid $400 for my satchel, and it is going to last an estimated 100 years!  At $4 a year, I think it's a good buy.  ::)

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 02:20:26 AM

Yea, I am drooling over the Ipad ATM, but I cannot justify nearly $600 for technology that will only last a year or so before it is replaced.  I paid $400 for my satchel, and it is going to last an estimated 100 years!  At $4 a year, I think it's a good buy.  ::)

I've played with various iPads multiple times throughout this semester, as you can rent them from my school's library for four-hour stretches of time.  They're nice, but IMHO, they aren't for me.  Just as an mp3 player is nice, but I used mine so little that I sold it.  With that said, I'm not necessarily a fan of the OS X operating system, nor of the various iDevices' inherent dependence on iTunes, which I loathed eight years ago (give or take) when I got my first and only iProduct.

That doesn't mean I can't drool over a Mac Mini, or a MacBook Pro, or an iPod Touch, but meh.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Android-based iPod Touch competitor to make it's appearance this summer, in the form of the Samsung Galaxy Player 50, which hasn't really been heard from since January, making me skeptical about it making it's appearance in a couple months. :/

Conversely, I just ran across the Raspberry Pi, and for $25, I'll definitely be springing for one, just for the heck of it... when it comes out. o.o

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 02:44:40 AM
My ipad needs are purely professional, and due to cost, the moto xoom will not be purchased.  That and my company provides ipads if they deem your work relevant.  I can't go with a Galaxy because they are too small.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 02:48:10 AM
Shoot, if you can get an iPad (preferably new, and the latest model, but I'd not complain :D) on the company dime, have at it. :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 02:57:10 AM
That's what i'm saying.  I had a meeting with the CEO this week and I asked him directly for an Ipad.  He agreed that it was necessary and told me he would chat with IT about it.  I also may have my Director convinced that he should just give me his issued ipad and buy himself the ipad2.  You'd think they would be ok springing for at least an original for me, since I run a very fluid and visible department, but I can't get my hopes up.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:15:11 AM
As I suspected, my request for an ipad was denied by the CFO.  He had the audacity to call it a luxury.  I informed him that when my department starts to suffer because I stop using my home PC while off duty, the "luxury" tag will disappear.  You can't convince many bean counters that expensive stuff is necessary.  They are almost always ok with a few hundred dollars a period on a bunch of small crap like pens and staplers, but toss a large, one time expense at them and they can't justify it.  I remain convinced that all CFO's and Controllers should begin in an operations based department prior to manning their damn desk.   Sorry guys, rant over.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46:46 AM
I remain convinced that all CFO's and Controllers should begin in an operations based department prior to manning their damn desk.

I believe that all requests for new equipment, staff, or higher quality coffee in the smoko room should include documented increased profit forecasts, and if they're not met the bean counters get the applicant's paid leave in return.  :duel:

But this isn't going to help either of us get fancy leather....

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 01:22:30 PM
As I suspected, my request for an ipad was denied by the CFO.  He had the audacity to call it a luxury.  I informed him that when my department starts to suffer because I stop using my home PC while off duty, the "luxury" tag will disappear.  You can't convince many bean counters that expensive stuff is necessary.  They are almost always ok with a few hundred dollars a period on a bunch of small crap like pens and staplers, but toss a large, one time expense at them and they can't justify it.  I remain convinced that all CFO's and Controllers should begin in an operations based department prior to manning their damn desk.   Sorry guys, rant over.

tbh i'd call it a luxury aswell what would be wrong with a notebook?
I

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 05:01:27 PM
Why are customs so high with these products?

IMO it's because they send via UPS and is therefore very visible so is not going to slip under the radar  :-\  I was actually surprised when UPS delivered mine to me; didn't realise they were here as well  :o

If you asked someone in the US to buy on your behalf and send it to you as a 'gift' then all you pay for is the product and the delivery which I think is fair  :tu:

Beautiful collection Mercury.
I love Saddleback stuff, I just bought wallet from them, extremely satisfied with it.
@ sousterre1
I paid $45 for Wallet Bifold Medium + $15 shipping + $20 for customs-so the total was $80, almost twice the price...

We had a similiar experience Vlad. Excellent gear but if you take into account the pricey shipping and inevitable taxes & handling fees it's just not that great a deal  :-\

I recommend to any non US customers to try and have someone send it to you. Naturally you'll probably not get the protection of insurance but it'll be a helluva lot cheaper  :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 05:15:24 PM

tbh i'd call it a luxury aswell what would be wrong with a notebook?

My company does not issue notebooks anymore, they only issue ipads.  I asked for one or the other and that was my preliminary answer.  I run a department that handles all Transportation for the company, so nearly every week I am working out of the Airport and I have manifests of up to 150 passengers that is constantly changing.  The paper copies get pretty torn up and confusing after a million notes here and there, plus the white out bill is through the roof! (not really that bad but it is a pain).  Not to mention I have to be available to check reservations, emails, and handle guest complaints at all hours of the day including when I am off, so I end up using my home PC because I can only stare at my phone for so long.  They have told me not to use my own equipment, but they refuse to provide anything other than a blackberry with a 2 inch screen.  It is a really legitimate need, but our accountants all graduated from a University and either never worked in operations, or forgot what it's like.  I am able to take a department that is 80% non revenue generating and very nearly turn a profit, even with notes and maintenance on 7 fleet vehicles.  I would say I am damn good at what I do, but I'm like the red headed stepchild to them when it comes to Cap-Ex.

Offline Flashback

Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 10:14:23 PM
Saddleback leather really is addictive. Check my latest video for a first aid kit in a sbl pouch

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 08:53:35 AM
Wow, that´s a luxury FAK! I love it, looks very classy!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline Flashback

Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 06:15:00 PM
Cheers woz.....it's already come in useful  :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 03:44:35 AM
I just got a new Wallet.  I've been ogling this medium wallet for a long time, finally managed to pick one up.  I chose tobacco brown because I just like that color, I may end up getting another bag in it.

And here it is next to my Saddleback small wallet in Dark coffee

The reason it lays so flat is the outer layer, it's longer than the inner layer so it can fold with a huge amount of cash in there.  I have about 15 bills in there right now, see the bottom photo for thickness.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%