Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade sharpening?

troma · 14 · 2072

us Offline troma

Blade sharpening?
on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:15 AM
In all the years I have been using MTs', once I have worn a blade edge, I have never been able to get it back to "out of the box sharp". Have tried using flat stones, bought a lansky sharpener, works well, but I have not been able to replicate the factory edge with it. Currently use those cheap 3.99$ yellow ones you see in buckets at the checkout line, with the carbide and ceramic side(think the manufacturer is "Smith's"). The cheap one actually does as good of a job as anything else i have used, but they wear out rather quickly.
 So anyway, what works for you?

de Offline Dr. Bahn

Blade sharpening?
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:59:58 AM
Spyderco Sharpmaker does the job for me. 👍

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Blade sharpening?
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:01:16 AM
Spyderco Sharpmaker does the job for me. 👍

+1  ;)

Just very easy and quick to use . Although its not ideal for very blunt blades or re-profiling. I am lucky in the fact that I can also sharpen free hand on a stone .

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:37 PM
I really need to learn the dark art of sharpening.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:04:33 PM
I can get decent results (Slicing paper/shaving hair) with the Lansky (Deluxe, standard stones), though you have to be careful to remove the Burr from the edges to get good results. I also use a home made strop afterwards.

For multitools usually I get better results Free Hand, since they are not easy to work on with the Lansky.

I see that the people getting really impressive, better than "out of the box", results tend to spend a lot of time on each knife (more than 5- 10 minutes) whereas I do not really have the patience to spend a few hours to achieve a super sharp edge that will not really improve my cutting, especially after the first few cuts.
Usually, most of my sharpening is done on Kitchen Knives and a few Swiss Army knives. There are also some knives that can not take a decent edge, irrespective of how I try. One of my kitchen knives is like that.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline django.cj

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:19:05 PM
I've found that it's much easier to do a light touch up more frequently than to sharpen something really blunt.  I use a Sharpmaker, and a few strokes on the ceramic rods will usually bring a blade back to shaving. 

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Blade sharpening?
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:59:47 PM
I've found that it's much easier to do a light touch up more frequently than to sharpen something really blunt.  I use a Sharpmaker, and a few strokes on the ceramic rods will usually bring a blade back to shaving.

Yes!... A knifemaker once told me that the best way to sharpen a knife is to never let it get dull. A few proper swipes on ceramic rods every few uses of the knife and you'll never have a dull knife again.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:54:37 PM
I take the time to get a good edge on the blade to start with, then it is easy to maintain. I always sharpen brand new blades right out of the box then I know my angle is on there and future touch ups are easy.
I use a Buck Tri Stone (Diamond and Stone combo) then go to the SpyderCo SharpMaker to maintain.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 09:45:44 PM
I posted this in another thread  :)

I have one of these and it works well for me  :salute:
(It takes all the skill out of the job but means you get the same angle every time)

http://lansky.com/index.php/products/std-3-stone-system/
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:31:03 AM
sharpmaker for maintaining an edge.
don't let it get dull
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 03:33:23 AM
I'm always changing my sharpening preferences.

As of late it's been pocket diamond stones. I use the factory edge until I notice that it is getting dull, and then I touch it up on a stone. Diamonds are great, they quickly sharpen the hardest of steels, and the tactile feedback it excellent. You can really "feel" when the sharpening is done.
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 04:39:43 PM
Yes!... A knifemaker once told me that the best way to sharpen a knife is to never let it get dull. A few proper swipes on ceramic rods every few uses of the knife and you'll never have a dull knife again.

+1. I give my pocket and kitchen knives a few FEATHER LIGHT passes with a ceramic V rod sharpener after every other uses or so. Doing that has kept my kitchen knives razor sharp for the past two years. But if a knife gets dull, I'll take it to a professional and get it sharpened. Some folks can whip out the sharpener stones or sharpmakers and get a dull knives razor sharp. I'm not one of those.

I'm also  looking at getting an electric knife sharpener recommended by Cooks Illustrated and trying that out on a few old dull knives to see if it really works.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:41:50 PM by shamus »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 05:58:51 PM
For the most part, I sharpen using two different stones, one one coarse/medium, one fine/very fine. I also have one of the yellow Smiths sharpeners mentioned in the first post. I keep it in my locker at work, and it does a decent job. I'm thinking about getting either a Sharpmaker or a Lansky soon though.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Adam Clark

• Strictly LEATHERMAN 99% of the time!
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 11:10:19 PM
S_P_Y_D_E_R_C_O
T_R_I_A_N_G_L_E
S_H_A_R_P_M_A_K_E_R
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!