Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

'Making' a pry tool

gb Offline Farmman

'Making' a pry tool
on: June 02, 2011, 03:08:15 PM
First thing first.  If this is in the wrong place please move it.

Ok like many others I have lusted after a Atwood for a while now.  However when I looked at them properly a number of issues arise for me.
1.  You cannot get them even at trade for your first born.
2.  As I always have a multi with me plus at least another on my keys just how many screw drivers, knives and bottle openers do I need.
3.  It seems I really need a pocketable pry tool to take the abuse that I don't want to use my multi for (prying nails/ stuck draws and doors).  It seems silly to use something which is of equal/ more value than most multis.

With all of the above in mind I started thinking about making my own.  I should explain that my fabrication skills are best described as belonging to an enthusiastic amateur, and the tools available to me are standard DIY fodder.  I went looking for some suitable metal in my garage thinking of using an old file.  However while looking I found an old cheap full size pry bar which as I own a descent Estwing is redundant. So ten mins with the angle grinder and another 30 mins with the belt sander gave me this. A further hour and I had made the case and lanyards.

Ok its not pretty.  its not light.  However fastened to my belt and then put into my pocket the weight is not noticeable with all of the other stuff.  the bonus for me is that I can use it to take abuse and should I lose it or break it, well I make another.

Let me know what you think.  PS thinking of calling it the 'Boyles Cheap Skate'.

Thanks
Mark

gb Offline Farmman

'Making' a pry tool
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:10:22 PM

Ok this is the pic which should be above.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: 'Making' a pry tool
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:19 PM
I like it!

I might even cut it in half lengthwise, grind a V in the remaining pry tip, and sharpen half of the nail pulling hole into a guthook... :pok:

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:30 PM
Look like a very useful EDC design.  BTW I have an Atwood for sale in the misc. items section, pretty much at cost and includes shipping.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:25 PM
Thanks for the kind replies so far  :salute: for what is in essence a bit cut off a full size tool.  I think I will have a go at making something from the rest of the bar which fits in with your suggestion.

Has anyone else tried to come up with a DIY pry bar?  I would love to see them if you have.

Zack yes I have seen you have an Atwood for sale and I think you are a very bad man for trying to tempt me.  Bugger it worked pm inbound.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:20:00 PM
Thanks for the kind replies so far  :salute: for what is in essence a bit cut off a full size tool.  I think I will have a go at making something from the rest of the bar which fits in with your suggestion.

Has anyone else tried to come up with a DIY pry bar?  I would love to see them if you have.

Zack yes I have seen you have an Atwood for sale and I think you are a very bad man for trying to tempt me.  Bugger it worked pm inbound.

:D
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:36:40 PM
I like it!

I might even cut it in half lengthwise, grind a V in the remaining pry tip, and sharpen half of the nail pulling hole into a guthook... :pok:

i did the same thing to one ive had for years, although not big enough for big pry work  :D

gb Offline Farmman

'Making' a pry tool
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:57:56 PM

Ok for the cheap skate part 2 I have cut more of the crow bar and then split it. Again the tools used are as above with the addition of a drill and the gas cooker to help case harden the finished article. The bottle opener works although if I make another it will be on a steeper angle. Again comments/ suggestions welcome

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:27 PM
VERY reminiscent of a JDR tool.  I like it!

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 03:13:28 PM

VERY reminiscent of a JDR tool.  I like it!
flattering of you to say so.  I drilled out the back of the bottle opener to give extra depth in a direction the angle grinder could not give me and so yes I suppose it does have a passing resemblance, although I have a long, long way to go before my attempts fully match up.  Kind of like a caveman Flint knife drawing comparisons with a leatherman or SAK.

since I started carrying the small pry tools I have surprised myself how many times I have used them to great effect, prying, scraping and wedging open.  This also makes me shudder at the amount of abuse I have put my poor Leathermans through prior to this.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:13:51 PM
I bought a prybar from one of the brick and mortar stores and then used a hacksaw to cut it down, wrapped it in paracord.  I've been carrying this around for about a year now and used it on several occasions.
prybar2.jpg
* prybar2.jpg (Filesize: 69.19 KB)
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%