Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can this be true: SwissCard Classic [with a Peking Opera logo] €2.76

Phrea · 35 · 7110

nl Offline Phrea

I didn't want to post this until I got my shipment in, and it seems very much like the real deal
I couldn't care less about the Peking Opera logo on it, who would, at that price.

How can I verify they are actually real SwissCard Classics? 

They do not come in official Victorinox boxes however, just fyi. 

EDIT: they also say they come in assorted colours, but I ordered 4, and they're all red. 
Another EDIT: I carfully checked every tool, and none of the tools have any markings on them, not even the blade.
Maybe another 'give away', the toothpick is the same gray colour as the plastic tabs on the tools that use plastic tabs [i.e. the pen, the file, and the tweezers]. 
Last EDIT [I hope]: they seem to be these promotional SwissCards. [is victorinox.com.cn an official Victorinox site and/or owned by Victorinox?]

That's all the stuff I can think of at the moment. :) 

Please, if you decide to order, please don't hold me responsible if it turns out they are in fact fake and not the real deal. 

Temporary verdict: FAKE. [but I have to say: fairly to very high quality]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:43:01 PM by Phrea »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
They do have some keen pricing on SRM knives...  :-\..
I assume these will be real. 
They also appear to sell buck knives
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline Phrea

They do have some keen pricing on SRM knives...  :-\..
I assume these will be real. 
They also appear to sell buck knives
BE CAREFUL tho, because if it doesn't say 'genuine' or whatever, they're most likely fakes. Same with DealExtreme etc. Gotta be really really careful. 
I ordered a few knives from DX [for research purposes only, of course] and I knew from the start they'd be fakes [which they are].
Also, I've noticed on PriceAngels that they sometimes use pictures of real Victorinox knives, but when you click on them and read a bit [the actual description and especially the comments], you immediately know they're fakes, and they just used images of Victorinox knives.

I'm waiting for somebody to reply to the specs/properties I posted on this SwissCard, because I suspect these are actually real.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:45:25 PM by Phrea »

ru Offline ivanov

• Victorinox/Gerber
when compared with that:
http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1009/0.7100.T
I see that the file has a different type and a few other differences (pen and knife's profile inside the handle)
I apologize for my poor english...

nl Offline Phrea

I'm not seeing the differences you see, but I do see that the toothpick on the one you posted is actually the 'normal' light beige colour. 

Ah, I see what you mean about the knife profile. That's a tiny difference tho, and it could be due to the picture quality.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:50:23 PM by Phrea »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I just realised that the prices I was looking at were in British pounds for some reason??, not dollars as I thought they were, so their pricing is less keen than I initially thought, a bit more than focalprice (which also has free shipping), but less than ebay.  :D

Can't really help you with your question, but I am sure someone will, soon.  :)

Edit: see, help is here!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline Phrea

I just realised that the prices I was looking at were in British pounds for some reason??, not dollars as I thought they were, so their pricing is less keen than I initially thought, a bit more than focalprice (which also has free shipping), but less than ebay.  :D

Can't really help you with your question, but I am sure someone will soon.  :)

Yea, I posted the euro price. They are $3.33 a piece. 

What I think happened is that these were promotional cards, and they just made/ordered too many and have dumped them on the market for these ridiculous low prices for some reason. 
Also, I've noticed that, although the quality is great, the tweezers seem to have a tiny flaw in them: they seem to have a slightly less gloss quality to them, but the shape etc is still like we know it. 

I think these were [at least] partially made with tools that were deemed not high enough quality for regularly sold knives/cards, and so to cut costs they put them in these promotional cards. 
Mind you, they seem to be very high quality none the less.

nl Offline Phrea

Another thing solved: the two characters to the right of the mask in the two circles say: "Bei Jing". Reddit sorted that one out for me. :) 

For those interested in a little factoid: 'Bei Jing' literally means 'North Capital'
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:40:13 PM by Phrea »

ru Offline ivanov

• Victorinox/Gerber
strange file
china.jpg
* china.jpg (Filesize: 5.63 KB)
swiss.jpg
* swiss.jpg (Filesize: 17.62 KB)
I apologize for my poor english...

nl Offline Phrea

strange file

Aha, I see what you mean.

So, the verdict for now is: it's not only fake, it's a rip off using the Victorinox brand name? 

EDIT: I just thought of something about the file: maybe Victorinox uses a cheaper/faster method of making a file for certain promotional products, in order to keep them as cheap as possible, while still being 'the real deal'?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:55:46 PM by Phrea »

us Offline parmenides

Sheesh, it's $3!  That's part of the fun of the Chinese stuff.. little harm done if you get one and it turns out to be crap.  Many times, in my experience, the Chinese stuff is worth at least what you paid for it, and frequently it's worth more in terms of quality (SRM, Ganzo, etc.).

For $3 I took a chance.  Will post photos when it arrives.

nl Offline Phrea

Sheesh, it's $3!  That's part of the fun of the Chinese stuff.. little harm done if you get one and it turns out to be crap.  Many times, in my experience, the Chinese stuff is worth at least what you paid for it, and frequently it's worth more in terms of quality (SRM, Ganzo, etc.).

For $3 I took a chance.  Will post photos when it arrives.

Haha. Yea, you really can't go wrong. I tested all of my tools out, and they are all very sharp and work as you would expect.
From what I know, you will NOT be disappointed, and I still think it's genuine Victorinox, just with discount and maybe using parts that are deemed not 'good enough' for export [and/or maybe cheaper fabricated parts] to europe/the americas.

little harm done if you get one and it turns out to be crap

Well, that's also a point; from what I've seen on the forums here, it's very much frowned upon if you are willingly buying 'fake' stuff. 
I'm still not convinced that these SwissCards are fake, I keep thinking they are real, just fabricated cheaper by Victorinox, to meet the demands of the Chinese Beijing Opera because they were going to give them away as promotional presents.

us Offline parmenides

True about acquiring counterfeit stuff, knowingly, and with intent.  And yes, if it seems to good to be true it probably is.  However, for $3 you can take a chance, be your own judge, and then pitch it in the trash if its presence bothers you once it enters your home.   >:D

nl Offline Phrea

True about acquiring counterfeit stuff, knowingly, and with intent.  And yes, if it seems to good to be true it probably is.  However, for $3 you can take a chance, be your own judge, and then pitch it in the trash if its presence bothers you once it enters your home.   >:D

I'm a poor dude. I'm not tossing these in the bin, because they might be counterfeit.

us Offline parmenides

I'm a poor dude. I'm not tossing these in the bin, because they might be counterfeit.

I applaud you for finding your own resolution.  Enjoy your purchase!

nl Offline Phrea

Sorry, I seem to have reacted to a now deleted post.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:32:29 PM by Phrea »

Offline rockpool

nz Offline KiwiMark

On the same site seems to be another bargain Victorinox - http://www.priceangels.com/Professional_Stainless_Steel_Multi-Function_Mini_Pocket_Toolkit_p14033.html

Well, that one doesn't even say Victorinox (though they did put the shield on it in the small factory in China where it was made) and I'm 99% sure it isn't a genuine Victorinox.  The bit driver isn't a common tool on Victorinox SAKs and the bits in that picture don't look like the one on my Cybertool.  Can anyone even name a Victorinox model that matches that picture?

As for the $3.30 SwissCards - it's hard to say for sure, but my guess is that they are a reasonable fake copy made in China.  The price just seems a bit too low and the differences mentioned make me think that they aren't genuine made in Switzerland SwissCards.  The OP also mentions no markings, but I am pretty sure that the blade should have a stamp on it like they have on the SAKs.  They do however say "- Genuine VICTORINOX product" in the description so I would not entirely rule out them being genuine and just being surplus product being moved at a great price - possibly a custom run at a cheaper manufacturing price with a more basic file, built to a price but still decent enough quality.  Are products allowed to be licensed for overseas production or is every single genuine 'Victorinox' product manufactured in Switzerland?  If these are genuine and made in Switzerland then that price is an absolute bargain.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Kiwi, it looks like the cybertool 29

Above pic, the original, below the fake. as you can see there is some difference in color and the secondary blade seems missing, however it could be that it is not deployed..

nz Offline KiwiMark

Kiwi, it looks like the cybertool 29

Above pic, the original, below the fake. as you can see there is some difference in color and the secondary blade seems missing, however it could be that it is not deployed..

There is no mention of a stainless steel pin and if you look at the different pictures there is clearly no pen.  To me it does look to be a cheap copy of the Cybertool 29, but with some omissions - it is very cheap, but being a counterfeit it wouldn't be great quality and I don't like the idea of supporting people that copy trademarks (the pic of the box clearly shows they have put the Victorinox name on it).  I am VERY sure that you will not be getting a genuine Cybertool 29 for $6.22.  To the nearest percent I am 100% sure this is a fake.

I'm considering ordering the SwissCard though - they claim it is a genuine Victorinox and on the picture you can see that the words "Swiss Made" are written on the product.  If this is bona fide then it is such a great deal it is hard to pass up.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

Offline rockpool

I ordered a couple, I'll let you know when they arrive  :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

The 3 I ordered have been shipped according to an E-Mail I got yesterday.  If these are indeed genuine SwissCards (all be it ones made a bit more basic for a large bulk order) then I'll be pretty happy.  If not then I'm only out ~ ten bucks (US$9.99) including shipping for the 3 of them.

On our local auction site (www.trademe.co.nz) there is someone selling a (presumably) genuine one of these for a starting bid of MZ$50 and a 'buy now' price of NZ$75, he also wants NZ$10 for shipping - that seems like a ridiculous rip-off to me.  But the 3 I have ordered from Price Angels seem ridiculously cheap - if they are fake and I really like them then I might order a genuine SwissCard and give away the cheapies.  I do prefer the quality of the genuine article.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I'm sorry to say that there is no doubt at all that that's a fake SAK and Card. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline KiwiMark

I'm sorry to say that there is no doubt at all that that's a fake SAK and Card. :-\

To me the SAK is obviously fake - it doesn't look enough like the Cybertool 29 to be anything other than a poor Chinese copy of one.  I am curious as to the identification of the SwissCard as a fake though - is there a definite sign that we should be able to see there?  I think the Card is most likely to be a fake - US$3.33 with free shipping really is too cheap for a genuine Swiss Made Victorinox SwissCard, for it to be genuine someone is getting rid of these for a crazy low price, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread - this is more likely to be a reasonable Chinese copy than a genuine article.

But I really wan to know how we can be certain on this:
Do you know if it is definite that there would be Victorinox stamped on the blade if it were genuine and the lack of that makes it a definite fake? Does the colour of the toothpick positively ID it as fake? What about the file, would Victorinox never do a special run with a file of the style shown on the cheap card?

There are a couple of SwissCards on Dealextreme, DX claim they are genuine and I am inclined to believe them. Of course they are priced much more believably - I find it easier to believe a SwissCard at $23.30 (with free shipping) is genuine than one at $3.33.  The closeup pic of the file on the DX SwissCard looks just like the genuine one should, different to the file on the $3.33 'SwissCard'.  The toothpick colour also looks right on the DX card and wrong on the Price Angels card.  From what I can tell the DX products that claim to be genuine do appear to be priced right and do indeed look very genuine, if we can be certain that the product that Price Angels is 100% positively NOT genuine then I would be reluctant to ever purchase from them again as they can't be trusted to honestly represent their products (I suspect that they would know where the products come from and whether they are genuine or not).  I would like to put in a negative review and see if it shows up, but I want to be 100% certain that this isn't some genuine surplus product being shifted at a bargain price.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
The tip of the blade is the wrong shape (to pointed), the toothpick is the wrong shape and colour, and the file texture is totally wrong.  Add those three things together and I have no doubt that this is a fake, a good one I'll happily admit, but fake none-the-less.  The fact it's being sold on the same site as an undisputed fake Cybertool and is priced at a level that is "to good to be true" hardly helps it's case IMO.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Well, my fake Swiss Cards arrived today and I am now 100% certain that they are counterfeit.  Despite the really cheap price I would suggest that anyone that hasn't bought one should save their money and buy a genuine Victorinox Swiss Card instead.  There is no way that the fit and finish on these is close to Victorinox quality and the scissors sure ain't made by Victorinox, the blade does NOT click into place very well.  Nothing on this Swiss Card seems up to Victorinox standards, the steel lacks that high polish that we have come to know.  Even the stainless steel pin is inferior to the one on my Cybertool.

I'm glad I didn't waste much money to check this out, but it is barely worth the US$3.33 that it cost.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
That's a shame, I was kinda hoping that it would at least be usable for you.  :-\

nz Offline KiwiMark

That's a shame, I was kinda hoping that it would at least be usable for you.  :-\

Maybe I'm just spoilt by the great fit and finish on my SAKs?  But if I grasp the fake Swiss Card and give it a shake the blade slides right out, on 2 of them anyway.  On the 3rd one the blade stays in pretty good, but that's probably just because it has a noticeable bend in it.
I was thinking about using a stainless steel pin from one in a SAK that has the hole for a pin but never came with one, but the pins are slightly fatter and don't fit.  I can't imagine Victorinox using a different pin to their standard one, so that is another clue that this is a fake.
The pen seems to write OK, but isn't usable in my SAKs as it isn't a Victorinox one - it slides in, but is loose and would just fall out.
The file is dreadful, any of my Victorinox or Leatherman files work MUCH better.
The scissors are junk, I would expect the spring to break in a short time if someone used them a bit. The scissors on my 10.5 year old Cybertool have less play in them.

Buying a counterfeit Swiss Card isn't really any different to buying a counterfeit SAK - the quality just wont be the same, the tool wont last as long and the fit & finish will not match that of a genuine tool.  Better to support the genuine company and buy good quality tools, it isn't like genuine Victorinox products are overpriced anyway.

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
the the usual rules apply:

-if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

-you get what you pay for.

nothing like the real deal. Although maybe the plastic can be of use? I have lost (broken) the scissor cover on my card. for $3 plus shipping I could at least put a patch.

The cybertool however is a no go for me.

us Offline parmenides

Received mine in the mail yesterday.   :mail:

Verdict:  it is an absolute, first-class, genuine...... piece of junk.   :P

This is coming from someone who is a fan of some of the quality Chinese products - SRM, Ganzo, etc.

It's not even worth posting pictures...  just stay away from this one.  Fit and finish is about a 0, pin is rusty, tweezers are below par, scissors are junk.

So, I'm out $3.33.  As punishment I shall forgo morning coffee from the coffee shop.  Boo.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%