Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NcSTAR AR-15 Combo Tool

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
NcSTAR AR-15 Combo Tool
on: June 11, 2011, 02:23:52 AM
I know Bob has one of these. In fact, he posted a photo of it a while back, and I have been hunting ever since. I wanted it simply to see what it was all about, and also, I seem to have a soft spot for weapon centric maintenance multi-tools. AR-15/16 and M4 multi-tools seem to be prominent in this group.

Well, what can I say other then this thing is a brick. It has the ergonomics of a Mac truck, and the subtlety of a blow to the head from a hockey stick. Meet the NcSTAR AR-15 Combo Tool.

The NcSTAR comes in a rather nice sheath with a metal clip on the back end, and a side pouch that houses the bore cleaning cable. The whole package is small if you compare it to an OTIS kit. However, the NcSTAR is heavy. Heavy as in "I can't believe I am dragging this thing with me on a field exercise heavy". Its svelte lines fit...ah who am I kidding. It's a box. A big metal box.

This box contains a variety of tools. Here is a list for you...taken from the manual.
- A2 front sight post wrench.
- A1 front sight post wrench.
- A1 rear sight tool.
- Receiver pin punch.
- Bolt carrier carbon scraper.
- Bore cleaning cable and brush.
- Bolt carrier gas key cleaning brush.
- Bolt assembly pin punch.
- Bolt assembly cleaning brush .
- Broken shell extractor.
- A4/M4 collapsible stock wrench.
- Large flat-head screw driver.

Well enough of my babbling and on with the photos.

The sheath is not bad. The instructions are explicit with only a few spelling errors. The biggest example was the "A4/M4 Collpasiblle stock wrench".  The box is pretty.

Here, you see the bore cleaning cable and the NcSTAR taken out of its sheath.

Ok, it is a big freaking clam shelled heavy metal boxy thingamagig. It does open with ease, and I felt it had some measure of quality due to this. That was dashed moments later when I tried to open any tool. They are OMG I have no fingernails left stiff.

The tool is built around and features prominently the collapsible stock wrench.

After a lot of coaxing, I finally got those shy tools out to get some fresh air...

Well my impression of the NcSTAR AR-15 Combo Tool is this: For a collector, go for it. For a user, I am sure there is some other tool that would fit your needs better and with a lot more class. Masochists need only apply.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:29:25 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: NcSTAR AR-15 Combo Tool
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:11:29 PM
Quite aside from the questionable design features ::) the build construction on mine is.....just plain bad. :P All the components are crudely made, the handle metal is roughly shaped, and none of the folding tools fold smoothly. :P Did I get a dud, or is yours that way too Dan?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 03:15:05 PM
No, mine is as bad as your copy.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:19:35 PM
Hmmmph. :-\   NcStar also has a wide line of riflescopes, mounts, and other accessories. Guess I'll steer a wide berth around them too. :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:03:16 AM
If the quality of this tool is any indication, I wouldn't buy any of their other accessories either.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44