Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are SANRENMU (SRM) knives any good?

us Offline lovenhim

on: June 19, 2011, 09:06:43 PM
I was goofing around online and came across this Chinese knife company called SANRENMU or SRM.  I understand but am not sure of this....that they make knives for name brands such as Buck, CRKT, and Spyderco/Byrd.....in other words made by SRM and rebranded and marked up in price.  Are SRM knives junk, or a good value for the money type of knife?

http://www.exduct.com/wholesale-knife/sanrenmu-srm-folding-knife-knives.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:09:13 PM by lovenhim »
When In doubt, C4

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Re: Are SANRENMU (SRM) knives any good?
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:16:07 PM
Short: They are great! Not only for the low price, the SRM knives I own are really well made and good quality knives. If you know any of the Chinese Spyderco knives, they are just as good.

Yes sir, there are better knives around, but they cost 10 times as much and more. To be honest, my SRM 710 is one of my prefered EDC knives - in a collection of more than 50 quality knives by Spyderco, Benchmade, SOG, CRKT, Fallkniven...

edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:16:30 PM
There are a few posts on here about SRM, the 710 is a favourite on here, search poor mans sebenza  :tu:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:20:48 PM
I only have one SRM knife; the GB-763 and it's a great little knife.  SRM knives use 8Cr13Mov steel which is commonly used in China-made knives such as Byrd, Spyderco (Tenacious for example) and lower-end Benchmades (such as the Vex).
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:23:02 PM
Im a fan of the 710  ::)

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:39 PM
SanRenMu is the known OEM for the following companies:

Boker
Spyderco's Byrd and Tenacious line of knives (not all, about 2/3s of the line)
Buck
Fenix
Benchmade's Red Class
CRKT

and a whole host of others.

They're exceptionally good knives, and since the pricing is done for the Chinese market (which has a substantially lower average wage than most Western nations) you can get truly fantastic deals.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:46:06 PM
Thank you for this.  I think I will have to look into some SRM knives.  Just think, you could load up if you had $100 to spend.  LOL  :)
When In doubt, C4

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 10:04:10 PM
There are a few posts on here about SRM, the 710 is a favourite on here, search poor mans sebenza  :tu:

|+ Amazing value for a nice knife  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 10:05:35 PM
They are great knives, I have 5 of them at the moment. You can get the best prices on focalprice-slow shipping, or exduct. Exduct has the best selection and rather fast shipping. You should also look at the bee/enlan range of knives, they have some nice models. 

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 11:31:49 PM
Just to repeat what everyone else is saying. Great knives, fantastic value for money.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:33:22 PM
If you like the look of the designs then I can say they are certainly well made. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 11:37:11 PM
Now I need to find out where you can buy the SRM knives Online.  :)
When In doubt, C4

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 11:47:48 PM
Now I need to find out where you can buy the SRM knives Online.  :)

http://edcdepot.com/
:like:    :MTO:

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 11:55:04 PM
Definitely try Marc at EDCDepot first  :salute:

If not can you not order from Exduct or here?

http://www.focalprice.com/HT503S/Sanrenmu_710_Mini_Multifunctional_Foldable_Pocket_Knife_with_Clip_for_Outdoors_Silver.html

gb Offline chills

Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 12:20:16 AM
+1 on srm the 710 is all that and then some and then a little bit more. You should also check out the Enlan brand, I have just picked up an Enlan EL02b which has an Axis lock no less! Another great knife. :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Re: Are SANRENMU (SRM) knives any good?
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:56:53 AM
Definitely try Marc at EDCDepot first  :salute:

If not can you not order from Exduct or here?

http://www.focalprice.com/HT503S/Sanrenmu_710_Mini_Multifunctional_Foldable_Pocket_Knife_with_Clip_for_Outdoors_Silver.html

+1 on Mark

You get an excelent servise and a free pill fob :D . He's one of the best guys to deal with. 

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 05:03:45 AM
I often rotate between a 704, 710 and special ed. 763 (alu handles).

I LOVE how thin and none existent the 704 is until you need it. When I carry them, in my back right pocket, tip down.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 05:40:02 AM
If you're looking for places to buy, I would say in order:

1. edcdepot.com  Fast, good service without much of a mark up but not many models
2. exduct.com They carry the most models out of everyone, but shipping isn't included in pricing shown, so expect another ~$4.50 on top of the stated pricing.
3. discoverybargain.com  I've had good luck with purchases from there, but many people haven't.  If you buy from DB, shell out for tracked shipping.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:35 AM
If you're looking for places to buy, I would say in order:

1. edcdepot.com  Fast, good service without much of a mark up but not many models
2. exduct.com They carry the most models out of everyone, but shipping isn't included in pricing shown, so expect another ~$4.50 on top of the stated pricing.
3. discoverybargain.com  I've had good luck with purchases from there, but many people haven't.  If you buy from DB, shell out for tracked shipping.

Just adding that exduct charges depend on weight and they have a minimum initial charge for shipping/packing/tracking etc, so the more you buy the cheaper the per item cost gets (great excuse to buy more).  :D

Focalprice has free shipping, so sometimes if you are only buying one or two items it can work out cheaper. I find focalprice shipping a lot faster; exduct, for me, takes about a month+ each time.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 02:27:26 PM
That's strange, it usually takes 1,5 months for a focalprice to arrive to me. Worst being 5 months. I did get a full refund for tha one though. It had water damage. Exduct usually takes two weeks for me. And they have a lot of knives at montly special prices. :tu: 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 06:28:20 PM
That's strange, it usually takes 1,5 months for a focalprice to arrive to me. Worst being 5 months. I did get a full refund for tha one though. It had water damage. Exduct usually takes two weeks for me. And they have a lot of knives at montly special prices. :tu:

Worst I had was 2 months from Exduct, currently however I am waiting for an order from them that was posted on the 25th of March, going for a new record.
OK, I will ask exduct to post my things to Croatia, and you can ask focalprice to post yours to Cyprus.  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 03:30:54 PM

Worst I had was 2 months from Exduct, currently however I am waiting for an order from them that was posted on the 25th of March, going for a new record.
OK, I will ask exduct to post my things to Croatia, and you can ask focalprice to post yours to Cyprus.  :D

Just to add that I got the above mentioned order today, 2 months after it was placed. It was opened for inspection somewhwere; nothing was missing.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:54 PM
...OK, I will ask exduct to post my things to Croatia, and you can ask focalprice to post yours to Cyprus.  :D

And we meet up half way in Greece to exchange them and talk tools and have a  :cheers: :drink:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:04 PM
...OK, I will ask exduct to post my things to Croatia, and you can ask focalprice to post yours to Cyprus.  :D

And we meet up half way in Greece to exchange them and talk tools and have a  :cheers: :drink:

:salute: :cheers:

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 04:04:20 PM

:salute: :cheers:

Or I can help you both! Ask exduct to post things to me, then I can have all the booze, and you can have all the pictures of me being happy without the headache and sore fingers from opening boxes! Win-win, don't you think? :D

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 05:50:08 PM
I just got my package from Price Angels today.  It contained the SRM 701, 710, and 763 knives.  I am very happy with them and I see why now everyone likes SRM knives and told me to get two of these knives as must have knives for a newbie to SRM.  Now I want some 9 series models.  LOL  Smile

When In doubt, C4

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 06:12:51 PM
The supply of 9 series SRM knives, is limited, to say the least. It's a shame they don't seem to make them anymore since they were quite comfy to hold.

Your best bet is to look at the larger Bee/Enlan models, or some of the Ganzo and Navy models.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 07:33:23 PM
I just got my package from Price Angels today.  It contained the SRM 701, 710, and 763 knives.  I am very happy with them and I see why now everyone likes SRM knives and told me to get two of these knives as must have knives for a newbie to SRM.  Now I want some 9 series models.  LOL  Smile

Nice choices.  :tu:  The aluminum 763 looks nice.  :cheers:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%