Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ganzo Multi Tool set XY-2010mu

dks · 15 · 12160

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Ganzo Multi Tool set XY-2010mu
on: June 30, 2011, 06:41:22 PM
I have been disappointed by Ganzo branded multi tools before (no problems with their knives) but still I was tempted by their new offering, a multi tool set, for under $30 with shipping, containing a full size pliers tool, a mini pliers tool and a knife.

Considering that there was a Ganzo knife in the set, for the price, it seemed quite good and worth a try. Unlike the 440C steel used in Ganzo knives and the blades of their other multitools this was advertised as having 3Cr13 steel.

So I ordered it from the usual suspect…

It arrived in a cardboard box that, like its contents, had no Ganzo markings on it. It did, however, promise on the box that I would enjoy the perfect life, by using it.

They all had matching finish, with black plastic inserts on metal, steel and what appears to be aluminium on the knife and large pliers tool.

The knife had a serious fault as one of the pivot screws was missing, and was not in the box.

It has a half serrated blade and a liner lock, that goes all the way to the right when locked, meaning that there is no room for self adjustment if there is some wear.

The only other time I saw this was in a Wenger explorer, where I believe is the way it is supposed to be and not a problem.
The blade was reasonably sharp and the knife can be attached to a belt or trousers etc via a carabineer.

The mini pliers tool was of reasonable quality, and its implements opened quite smoothly. The pliers are not designed for cutting, indicating that the whole tool is not very strong. It has no outside opening tools.

Compared to an LM squirts pliers

It has a Combo tool, like the one of the LM Micra, some screwdrivers (one surprisingly short) a file and a knife.

It also has a weird implement with an unsharpened V shaped notch, possibly for removing fishing hooks and most unusually a folding lanyard ring, despite already having a standard one… These two implements are really wasting space in the tool.

Compared with a Squirt, a Micra and a "micra copy"

The large pliers tool was a pleasant surprise!

The tool unfolded very smoothly and the pliers came out and locked into place as you would expect in a good quality tool.

Size wise the tool is very large and the pliers are similar in size to my Supertool 300.

It is, however noticeably thicker than the supertool, but the, possibly aluminium, pliers handles are quite comfortable to use and the whole tool feels light.

The pliers come with a hard wire notch.

The finish of the, outside opening and non-locking, tools was quite good. They are nicely polished with no rough bits on them and appear to be of a good quality.

Even though some clamp together they open and set with a very satisfying “click” sound, very similar to what you would get in a Swiss Army knife. The tools were a bit tight initially but a bit of adjustment with a hex driver was all that was needed.

In addition to the knife, file-fishing hook remover, can opener, bottle opener the tool comes with 4 Screwdrivers. The problem with this is that it also comes with a set of 9 removable drivers (flat, Philips hex), which includes drivers similar to the ones attached to the tool, so you end up with doubles!

and comparing fixed screwdrivers with my other Ganzo..

and pliers heads... note that the older tool says Ganzo on it

etc..

On the whole I would have been happy with just the bigger pliers tool and see the rest as “free” extras.

Pros:
Good quality large pliers tool

Lots of screwdrivers

Light for its size

Cons:
The mini pliers tool and the knife are of lower quality

Too many screwdrivers

Untested, so longevity is unknown.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Re: Ganzo Multi Tool set XY-2010mu
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:48 PM
Nice write-up.  I've seen the larger multitool in the set all over the place in the US.  Mostly auto parts stores and department stores.

:)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 12:08:00 AM
Yes, especially great photos too dks, sorry I missed this thread earlier. :salute:

On another note, does anyone know what the "2CR" means on so many of the Chinese tools? ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:52:58 AM
Yes, especially great photos too dks, sorry I missed this thread earlier. :salute:

I was begining to think the thread was invisible to all but me..  :D

Nice write-up.  I've seen the larger multitool in the set all over the place in the US.  Mostly auto parts stores and department stores.
I have not seen this before, but then I did not  not look too hard.
I was surprised by how much better it was, compared to the rest of the items in the set.
It is now on offer for around $24, with shipping, but you can also get some branded used tools too for similar money.

On a different note I just noticed that it says plece instead of piece on its box (1st picture)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:47:19 PM
Nice write up dks.  Apparently Ganzo is making a concerted effort to improve the quality of their MTs to compete more in the middle-tier market.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22:07 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

In addition to the knife, file-fishing hook remover, can opener, bottle opener the tool comes with 4 Screwdrivers. The problem with this is that it also comes with a set of 9 removable drivers (flat, Philips hex), which includes drivers similar to the ones attached to the tool, so you end up with doubles!

(Image removed from quote.)

Is the folding phillips on the tool as badly made as those on some Chinese multitools? If so you will be happy to have the bit driver. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:41 PM
After reading reviews here a lot and seeing the comments about Chinese philips drivers, the philips driver is the first thing I test, so I can say that it worked OK on my "test" screw; better than my Chinese Bahco, despite being highly polished, something that some people believe makes the drivers slippery.  :tu:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:15:56 AM
After reading reviews here a lot and seeing the comments about Chinese philips drivers, the philips driver is the first thing I test, so I can say that it worked OK on my "test" screw; better than my Chinese Bahco, despite being highly polished, something that some people believe makes the drivers slippery.  :tu:

Ah, good news then! :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:22 PM
Update: Exduct send me the missing screw, after I mentioned it to them, with my latest order

:salute:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:40 AM
Good news :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:25:35 PM

I am always the bearer of good news   :D  :cheers:

It makes you realise that these Chinese sites (Exduct, Focalprice and a few more) are run by serious, efficient companies, who take responsibility for their mistakes rather than the picture most people have; of some suspicious character running the site, selling dodgy knives, from the back of his van or his basement.

I also had the offer to have the screw posted on its own.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 03:29:33 AM

I am always the bearer of good news   :D  :cheers:

It makes you realise that these Chinese sites (Exduct, Focalprice and a few more) are run by serious, efficient companies, who take responsibility for their mistakes rather than the picture most people have; of some suspicious character running the site, selling dodgy knives, from the back of his van or his basement.

I also had the offer to have the screw posted on its own.

People constantly sh*t on Chinese retailers for being fly by night operations that don't care about customers one way or the other once money is in their hands but...

The forces of economics say that this simply can't be the case.  There are many, many, many Chinese dropshipping retail sites on the net (DX, Exduct, etc), and due to the wealth of information available and competition, prices are extremely low and margins are very thin.  The other half of the coin is that they all accept Paypal as payment.  If they really were out to screw customers they'd be out of business stupid fast - the Paypal chargebacks would sink them within three months.

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 06:29:44 PM
hi, How is the scissor ? I am really concern about it. Can it cut braided fishing line?
braided fishing line is the yard stick to measure the scissor sharpness. Most scissor will fail. Gerber is using fiskars scissor which is very sharp, it can cut braided fishing line. for me multi tool must have scissor that can cut braided fishing line because I always fishing.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 07:35:15 PM
Maybe you posted in the wrong thread?

It has no scissors.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 10:24:18 PM
Maybe you posted in the wrong thread?

It has no scissors.

Had me confused too.....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30